Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Official Thread [11/11/11....It's time!]

Conn

I am having a blast with this game! I can tell I'll be playing this for a long time to come.

I started a Dark Elf, Wizard/thief type and have been wrecking stuff left and right. I think I might actually bite and upgrade my vidcard/screen just for this.

I haven't felt this excited to play a game since WoW Launch. Soooo fun! :)

A little help for a noob.

* What is the best way to level up quick? Does leveling up overall happen from gaining XP for everything you do in the game? So far I raised my health & stamina, and increased one handed weapon strength twice. First time I was leveled up due to a battle I was in, and the next time it seemed to happen after I had been running around for awhile and hunted a couple of rabbits. Currently level 3 overall.

*Can you actually level up certain aspects of your character outside of when your overall level goes up? For instance, if I use a one-handed sword a ton, will my skill level at one-handed weapons increase independent of when I upgrade overall?

* When you are engaged in a battle with someone who is over powering you, is it possible to cut your losses and run instead of wasting all your potions to heal yourself over and over when you still might be killed? I was being chased by this Guy and gal at that Sleepy Inn or whatever it was called, the guy I was able to takedown fairly easy, but the chick seemed to have a ton of healing potion and would use it over and over. When it finally seemed like I killed her, she was just hunched over for a little while until getting back up at full strength. After a bunch of times dying, I finally just did it over, killed the guy, then took off running after doing one of those tribal scream repelling magic casts. I was long gone.

* Do people in villages ever seem to randomly attack you for no reason? The aformentioned couple that attacked me, did so after I walked into the sleepy inn. Is there something I did to trigger this, perhaps stealing and item from another house in the village?

A little help for a noob.

* What is the best way to level up quick? Does leveling up overall happen from gaining XP for everything you do in the game? So far I raised my health & stamina, and increased one handed weapon strength twice. First time I was leveled up due to a battle I was in, and the next time it seemed to happen after I had been running around for awhile and hunted a couple of rabbits. Currently level 3 overall.

*Can you actually level up certain aspects of your character outside of when your overall level goes up? For instance, if I use a one-handed sword a ton, will my skill level at one-handed weapons increase independent of when I upgrade overall?

* When you are engaged in a battle with someone who is over powering you, is it possible to cut your losses and run instead of wasting all your potions to heal yourself over and over when you still might be killed? I was being chased by this Guy and gal at that Sleepy Inn or whatever it was called, the guy I was able to takedown fairly easy, but the chick seemed to have a ton of healing potion and would use it over and over. When it finally seemed like I killed her, she was just hunched over for a little while until getting back up at full strength. After a bunch of times dying, I finally just did it over, killed the guy, then took off running after doing one of those tribal scream repelling magic casts. I was long gone.

* Do people in villages ever seem to randomly attack you for no reason? The aformentioned couple that attacked me, did so after I walked into the sleepy inn. Is there something I did to trigger this, perhaps stealing and item from another house in the village?

As your individual skills go up they work towards increasing your overall level. So the more you use 1 handed attacks for example the more experience goes into one handed attacks. After enough skill ups you will get a level up. Every skill works towards your overall level, so if you shot an arrow at those rabbits and it raised your archery skill that could have given you the xp for your level up.

I've never had anyone randomly attack me unless i accidentally punched them or something.

Ok so here is another question regarding leveling up.

Would you say that in order to level up at at a good rate you need to go around and do a lot of random stuff, outside of just going through the storyline quests? I guess for context, I am at the point in the storyline where you are trying to find the "secret" of the bleak falls barrow, and overall I am Level 4. I have done a little bit of running around but not a lot, mostly using a shield & iron sword as a weapon, because I find at this point going with a two handed weapon is leaving me too vulnerable to attacks by whoever I am engaged in battle with.

Would you say that in order to level up at at a good rate you need to go around and do a lot of random stuff, outside of just going through the storyline quests? I guess for context, I am at the point in the storyline where you are trying to find the "secret" of the bleak falls barrow, and overall I am Level 4. I have done a little bit of running around but not a lot, mostly using a shield & iron sword as a weapon, because I find at this point going with a two handed weapon is leaving me too vulnerable to attacks by whoever I am engaged in battle with.

You don't gain any experience from quests. Mainly quests result in gold and unique items. My favorite way to improve characters in these games is to just explore the outside world. By that I mean just wandering around the map and not entering any cave, dungeon, fort, ect. My character was level 40 before I even really started the main quest. As for combat get yourself a healing spell. Favorite it along with a sword and heavy shield. That plus heavy armor should make you fairly tough. Depending on your race of course. But keep in mind there are some enemies that are just to powerful to defeat at low levels. Good luck.

And my opinion of this game is it should be banned, it's far worse than crack or heroin. Just absolutely addictive.

Hey guys, I just started playing this recently, and while I'm only Level 11, I had a big question before I go much further (I've only put in about 15 hours or so to this point). Until now I've focused mainly on destruction and Restoration. Des is at I think level 42 and Res somewhere in the 30's, with others in the mid to upper twenties like speech and sneak. I've just realized I'd really like to start heading more towards enchantment, but I'm not sure how well that goes with Des/Res. Does it make sense to start switching at this point? I was thinking of just enchanting as much as I can to get levels up on it while continuing to use Des/Res. Thoughts?

Hey guys, I just started playing this recently, and while I'm only Level 11, I had a big question before I go much further (I've only put in about 15 hours or so to this point). Until now I've focused mainly on destruction and Restoration. Des is at I think level 42 and Res somewhere in the 30's, with others in the mid to upper twenties like speech and sneak. I've just realized I'd really like to start heading more towards enchantment, but I'm not sure how well that goes with Des/Res. Does it make sense to start switching at this point? I was thinking of just enchanting as much as I can to get levels up on it while continuing to use Des/Res. Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure not to level enchantment above your combat skills and you'll be fine.

Dude, just take all the hits you can at lower levels. Just get a restoration spell and get hacked up while having that and a one handed equipped, your heavy armor skill will advance pretty quickly by just taking your beatings while everything around you is fairly weak.

Enchanting, like Smithing, is a non combat supplementary skill. DEFINITELY learn it and level it. You can add some really powerful enchants to your gear. Honestly, if you can get Enchanting and Smithing to a high level, you'll become ridiculously powerful.

The best way to optimize your character is to specialize. It doesn't matter what you do, just stick to doing the same thing. Whether it be melee combat with dual wielding, sword and board, magic, archery, whatever. The worst thing you can do is dibble dabble in a bunch of things, causing you to gain unnecessary level ups while you have a bunch of combat skills that are all mediocre. It's the Skyrim equivalent of having an NFL team that finishes 7-9 every year.

okay i just read about it. apparently its like WoW? i'm a video game nerd but these games take it to a whole new level. i may just stick with gears of war and call of duty lol

You sound like me until I got this game. You will not be able to turn it off after playing. I figure at my current rate I wont be finished with this game until 2013

okay i just read about it. apparently its like WoW? i'm a video game nerd but these games take it to a whole new level. i may just stick with gears of war and call of duty lol

yeah if you ask questions like that then you arent a video game nerd...

its like WoW only in the sense that it takes place in a fantasy setting, other than that it's completely different.

yeah if you ask questions like that then you arent a video game nerd...

its like WoW only in the sense that it takes place in a fantasy setting, other than that it's completely different.

WoW as in its an online interactive world where you level up your characters.

i'd like to check it out but i don't have a whole lot of time to devote to gaming anymore since i'm going to school again and working full time

WoW as in its an online interactive world where you level up your characters.

i'd like to check it out but i don't have a whole lot of time to devote to gaming anymore since i'm going to school again and working full time

Its not an online interactive world. Its a totally single player game.

Also, a video game nerd would know its an RPG, of which WoW is NOT a good example. WoW is an MMORPG.

Archived