Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Official Thread [11/11/11....It's time!]

Conn

Edit: Skyrim's coming out tomorrow! This will now become the all-around Skyrim thread. You playing it? Who's your character? What skills, etc.? Which side in the civil war are you on?

PLEASE keep major quest spoilers of any kind out of here, or at least use spoiler tags, until the game's been out for a while. No need to ruin things for anybody.

I really hope this game is much more Morrowind than it is Oblivion.

I just didn't get the sense of exploration from Oblivion that I got in Morrowind.

From everything I've read from the devs, it will be. While Oblivion was critically acclaimed, after about a year of delving into it, they actually received tons of backlash from their hard-core fanbase, because once you played through a time or two, it just wasn't as in-depth as Morrowind, or as unique....the atmosphere wasn't as good either. It was more of a generic fantasy world.

That's why everything's being hand-crafted this time around (environments and dungeons). It looks much more Morrowind-esque. You can even spot some sick-looking Dwemer ruins in the video!

Oblivion was good, can't beat the ending, but oblivion gate after oblivion gate after oblivion gate was boring as hell, with all the dungeons looking the exact same. Oblivion was a chore to beat, I wasn't having fun with it until the very end.

Oblivion was good, can't beat the ending, but oblivion gate after oblivion gate after oblivion gate was boring as hell, with all the dungeons looking the exact same. Oblivion was a chore to beat, I wasn't having fun with it until the very end.

Yeah, that's what they're trying to avoid with this one. Much more Morrowind in this one, with the steps forward that Oblivion had as well.

I'm already sold on this game. and I've never been a big fan of those "dragons and elves" type of games, but my friend convinced me its a must have.

So what did he tell you that sold it? I am the same about fantasy type stuff. From the trailer it looks amazing, but don't know how long I can last fighting dragons.

The combat system is totally re-imagined and just plain better. Apparently It feels more "hard-hitting" (whereas in the past you didn't really feel like you were doing any significant damage...enemies just kind of took it or went through a scripted animation or two), there is a sprint button that uses fatigue quickly, there are finishing moves that are weapon- and creature- specific, and using ranged weapons is more practical now: They are slower to fire, and arrows are harder to find, but they pack more of a punch. Oh, and you can't run backwards just as fast as you can run forwards now, changing magical/ranged combat.

This is very important imo. I thought the fighting sucked in oblivion. It wasn't fun at all, and didn't immerse you at all into the experience.

I'm already sold on this game. and I've never been a big fan of those "dragons and elves" type of games, but my friend convinced me its a must have.
So what did he tell you that sold it? I am the same about fantasy type stuff. From the trailer it looks amazing, but don't know how long I can last fighting dragons.

To be fair, the games are great because of the gameplay and the experience, not just because they are fantasy games.

To me, what you're saying is the equivalent of saying "I don't really like sci-fi games, will I like Mass Effect?" Or "I don't really like post-apocalyptic settings, will I like Fallout 3?"

The games are so good, that you REALLY have to hate the material to not like the game. Kinda like how people who hate soccer love FIFA games, because they're done so well and are addictive. Or how people who hate fantasy love LOTR. Or how people who hate fantasy can still get into Harry Potter or George R.R. Martin's books. The experience is so good, that you don't feel like a nerd running around with elves and a magic sword.

Now, if you don't like RPG's and don't find this trailer interesting, then that's different. Its probably not the game for you. Its way more about the story and your choices, than it is about the combat.

But like someone else said, its still great that they focused so much on improving the combat, etc.

Restarted Oblivion today, this thread got me so excited for the next game. I think I'm going to purposely become a Vampire, I've never done it before.

Unfortunately, playing Oblivion, all I could keep imagining was all of the awesome improvements I've been reading about for Skyrim...kept wanting to duel-wield, etc. :ols:

But its still as fun as ever, and I'm taking a different approach this play-through, to get a different experience entirely.

I've owned Oblivion (the GOY addition) for like four years now? I've played through a bit but I never get far. Then I'll put it down for a few months, pick it back up, forget where I was at/what I was doing in the game and start over. Rinse and repeat. I'm not sure why this is. Just like with books, whether I hate it or not I try to finish everything I start. This game looks absolutely sick though, and if it is indeed a true sequel (of sorts) to Oblivion, then I think it's time for me to put in work.

How many hours should I expect it to take me to finish the game? (Fallout 3 took me like four months)

I've owned Oblivion (the GOY addition) for like four years now? I've played through a bit but I never get far. Then I'll put it down for a few months, pick it back up, forget where I was at/what I was doing in the game and start over. Rinse and repeat. I'm not sure why this is. Just like with books, whether I hate it or not I try to finish everything I start. This game looks absolutely sick though, and if it is indeed a true sequel (of sorts) to Oblivion, then I think it's time for me to put in work.

How many hours should I expect it to take me to finish the game? (Fallout 3 took me like four months)

I put around 140 hours into Oblivion on PC and didn't even come close to seeing everything. But I didn't like to fast travel and I would just auto walk my horse from town to town enjoying the scenery. I remember when I first installed Oblivion and made it through the first dungeon when I emerged in was midnight. I just sat on a hill and stared at the moon and stars for a while - so excited about everything there was to explore. I had never played any ES games so it was all new to me.

I can't wait for ES:V - I bought the PC I'm using now for Oblivion so it may be time to upgrade for Skyrim lol. May just save money and get it for a console this time but I love mods.

Skyrim sounds like what Oblivion should have been. I love the ES series, but without mods I couldn't even force myself to finish playing Oblivion. The combat system was just too boring. Thankfully, it looks like the developers borrowed heavily from the Oblivion modding community. With the mods OOO (the world doesn't level up with you), MMM (many more monsters and lots of new kinds), Natural Environments (makes Oblivion feel more like a living, breathing world), Unique Landscapes (adds hand-crafted landscapes), Deadly Reflex (adds violent finishers and critical hits, new combat moves, kicks, dodges, and rush attacks), and Supreme Magicka (lots of new spells and improves old one like cold spells can actually freeze people), you could have almost been playing Skyrim 3-4 years ago. There's even a mod that lets you ride dragons instead of horses.

AKATOSH MOUNT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_r0VjcmWDs

The only bad thing about buying Skyrim for the PC is it would definitely require me to buy a new video card, and I'm pretty sure I'd need a new power supply. Don't the newer video cards have more power connectors? I have a PCPC Silencer 610, so I don't think it'd work with newer videocards
Depending on the age of your video card you might be OK. Since the PC version of Skyrim is likely to be an Xbox360 port instead of the other way around, the game will have to run on Xbox360 hardware which is about equivalent to a decent computer in 2005-2006. So if you have a video card that would have been top of the line back then (e.g. an Nvidia 9800 GTX) you should be able to play the game just fine. Probably not at the highest settings, but it will still be playable.

The only bad thing about buying Skyrim for the PC is it would definitely require me to buy a new video card, and I'm pretty sure I'd need a new power supply. Don't the newer video cards have more power connectors? I have a PCPC Silencer 610, so I don't think it'd work with newer videocards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005.
I'm fully planning on building a completely new rig just for this game, lol.

Honestly if they put the same emphasis on exploration and open-world discovery that they had in Morrowind, this could be the best game ever made. I loved being able to fly around in dungeons and discover hidden items. Oblivion, despite it's massive nature, felt way too scripted and repetitive for me.

Archived