Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Official Thread [11/11/11....It's time!]

Conn

You know, the map tells you where to go for various quests. The strategy guide just tells you where said side quests are and other secrets are. As I've said before, i'd much rather figure it out/struggle through it on my own. Much more fulfilling imo. But that's just me.

Agreed never understood buying the guide and just sitting there reading it as you play through the game, takes away the excitement of discovering things on your own to me. Now when I play through this game a second time(and trust me I will) I might pick it up just to see what I missed the first time.

I don't think the strategy guide is worth it really. 20 bucks? Maybe more? I was stuck as a vampire just the other night and was able to find a cure online for free. (thanks large in part to this thread :) ) After a quick google, it looks like you can find almost any quest info online. Why purchase a strategy guide?

Smithing is insanely OP. I powerleveled mine and even though it cost me a ton of gold, it's well worth it. In full Orcish Armor and I just steamroll people. And money is really easy to make anyway. Definitely reccomend no matter what type of character you're playing to level up Smithing.

Smithing is insanely OP. I powerleveled mine and even though it cost me a ton of gold, it's well worth it. In full Orcish Armor and I just steamroll people. And money is really easy to make anyway. Definitely reccomend no matter what type of character you're playing to level up Smithing.

Funny I was just looking into this today and am planning on leveling from 20 to 100 in smithing tonight. Apparently only takes like 460 iron daggers made to do it.

I love that fact that smithing was the first thing I did. Orcish armor is freakin insane. Can't wait for Daedric.

Funny I was just looking into this today and am planning on leveling from 20 to 100 in smithing tonight. Apparently only takes like 460 iron daggers made to do it.

The thing is, merchants will eventually run out of the materials you need. I spent a lot of time just traveling between the cities that had Blacksmiths to buy up mats.

The thing is, merchants will eventually run out of the materials you need. I spent a lot of time just traveling between the cities that had Blacksmiths to buy up mats.

If you're willing to do it the cheaper/longer way and prolong the process throughout leveling up other stuff, which will give you a more balanced character (being level 20 from JUST smithing will mean you aren't ready, offensively, for many of the higher-level enemies that will now show up more often), you can hunt animals and mine ore yourself and get plenty of materials. Then buy whatever else you need.

I'm big into smithing as well, but light armor. Can't wait to make glass soon.

I thought that most enemies didn't scale with you now? I'm pretty sure that's true because that one quest "Missing in Action" was almost impossible for me in the lower teen level but now that I'm level 20 I cruised through it.

I think only dragons and maybe certain special enemies for some of the quests scale with your level now.

I thought that most enemies didn't scale with you now? I'm pretty sure that's true because that one quest "Missing in Action" was almost impossible for me in the lower teen level but now that I'm level 20 I cruised through it.

I think only dragons and maybe certain special enemies for some of the quests scale with your level now.

They don't, but every dungeon you walk into have a 5-10 level "scale" that locks in the first time you enter it. So say that cave is level 30-40. Well, if you go in there at level 15, its going to lock at 30. If you had gone in at level 35+, it would probably lock at 40, making it a tougher dungeon. So the inhabitants aren't set in stone.

I was just trying to say that if you're level 20 mostly because you've leveled up smithing, and that's where all your perks are, and you walk into a dungeon that a normal level-20 should be able to handle, you might be a bit overwhelmed, despite your high defense, just because you technically don't have that balance of offense/defense that most characters have at that level. If you've also been leveling up your combat/magic, then no biggie. But some people will probably start the game off and just get the "power-leveling" of smithing out of the way, which will give you cool armor, but gimp your character in some ways.

So I'm finishing up this quest "In My Time of Need". I don't think how you complete this alters the larger game one bit, but I'm torn on which person to kill. And they give absolutely no hints on who's telling the truth and who's bull****ting. I'm curious which way you all went: killed Kematu and his people or turn Saadia over to them?

So I'm finishing up this quest "In My Time of Need". I don't think how you complete this alters the larger game one bit, but I'm torn on which person to kill. And they give absolutely no hints on who's telling the truth and who's bull****ting. I'm curious which way you all went: killed Kematu and his people or turn Saadia over to them?

This is the one with the guys from Hammerfell? I turned her over, and was surprised at the result. Personally, I would have felt worse killing the guys hunting her. That's just me.

---------- Post added November-25th-2011 at 03:13 PM ----------

I know I could probably google and find out, but has anyone stumbled upon Umbra yet? Or does anyone know if its in the game this time?

I'm not sure if the sword is in this game, but I will say that with smithing/enchanting the way it is, I haven't felt the need to look for it at all. Its appeal is kind of lost when I can take any awesome weapon in the game and put soul trap on it, or make my own, improve it to "flawless", then put soul trap and something else on it.

Yeah I ended up turning her over as well. She seemed like a *****.

What are your all's weapon(s) of choice? I normally--if I can--start with the bow from a distance and then finish it off with a sword (one handed). I'm turning into a beast. Before I was just pressing buttons as fast as I could, now I've actually got some strategy going on--like banging people with my shield, knocking their defense down, circling one way or the other and cutting them. Getting really good at this.

Funny enough, I haven't messed with melee much at all. My first character I got to about level 11 with conjuration and destruction, but then I was craving some sneakery. So I started the character I'm on now, assassin/thief type, now level 27 I think.

I've got an Exquisite Dwarven bow, as well as the Nightingale bow. Kill almost everything before they get within arm's reach. For anything tougher that gets in close, I usually keep shooting them, I've got a perk that slows down time when I zoom in, and another perk that knocks back most opponents 50% of the time. But when I have to, or when I sneak up to someone, I use a dagger (15x damage perk when sneaking + 2x damage when sneaking DB gloves = 30x damage). Right now my best dagger is probably the Blade of Woe or my ebony dagger.

Funny enough, I haven't messed with melee much at all. My first character I got to about level 11 with conjuration and destruction, but then I was craving some sneakery. So I started the character I'm on now, assassin/thief type, now level 27 I think.

I've got an Exquisite Dwarven bow, as well as the Nightingale bow. Kill almost everything before they get within arm's reach. For anything tougher that gets in close, I usually keep shooting them, I've got a perk that slows down time when I zoom in, and another perk that knocks back most opponents 50% of the time. But when I have to, or when I sneak up to someone, I use a dagger (15x damage perk when sneaking + 2x damage when sneaking DB gloves = 30x damage). Right now my best dagger is probably the Blade of Woe or my ebony dagger.

This might be the nerdiest thing I've ever read...and understood.

Archived