Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Prosecutors: Minn. man `hunted' suicidal victims

ACW

Do you want the NFL to play 18 regular season games?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the NFL to play 18 regular season games?

• Yes I want 18 regular season games
    • No, 16 games is just fine by me

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20110224/US.Encouraging.Suicide/

MINNEAPOLIS — A Minnesota man charged with two counts of aiding suicide was committing a crime — not playing a game — when he "hunted" vulnerable people on the Internet and encouraged two of them to kill themselves, prosecutors claim.

William Melchert-Dinkel used alter egos to stalk victims and get them to commit suicide for the "thrill of the chase," prosecutors said in written arguments filed in advance of a court hearing Thursday in front of a judge who will decide whether the former nurse's actions were criminal.

"Advising and encouraging others in suicide is not an online game for Mr. Melchert-Dinkel's amusement — it is a crime," Rice County Attorney Paul Beaumaster wrote. He added that Melchert-Dinkel admitted his "conversations moved into the realm of sick and perverse advice."

Melchert-Dinkel has pleaded not guilty to two counts of aiding suicide in the 2005 hanging death of Mark Drybrough, 32, of Coventry, England, and the 2008 drowning of Nadia Kajouji, 18, of Brampton, Ontario. Melchert-Dinkel's fate is now in the hands of Rice County District Court Judge Thomas Neuville after the 48-year-old southern Minnesota man waived his right to a jury trial and said he would not dispute the evidence against him, only whether what he did was a crime.

Disgusting if true :mad:

I think suicide should be legal, but there's gotta be SOMETHING to lock this douchebag up for. At least I hope the families bankrupt his ass :mad:

I thought there were whole websites devoted to encouraging suicide? So if this is indeed criminal activity they should be shut down.

There is a difference between discussing and making info available vs stalking to prompt suicide.

this story made the rounds here a while ago, since one of the victims was a local girl, and I can assure you this is very much true. the problem authorities have had is what to charge him with and where, he's American and his victims are Canadian and English. The stuff he said (typed) and did to encourage the girl to kill herself is the most disturbing and sick things you have ever heard of. This man deserves to suffer, and I am not much on revenge but here I think it is justified, taking advantage of emotionally disturbed people for his sick amusement is just plain wrong, no matter what your morals are.

Suicide tips creepy and sick, attorney says, but not illegal

What his client did was "obsessive, morbid, abhorrent, sick" and "creepy," defense attorney Terry Watkins told a judge Thursday in Faribault, Minn. But urging two people to kill themselves was free speech — not a crime, he argued.

Former nurse William Melchert-Dinkel, 48, of Faribault has been charged with two felony counts of encouraging, advising or assisting another in committing suicide. After oral arguments Thursday morning, Rice County District Judge Thomas Neuville took the matter under advisement; he will issue a verdict within 20 days.

Click on the link for the full article

The websites I was refering to has nothing to do with terminal illness. The are some sites (usually (most? all?) satanic) that actively encourage suicide among the physically healthy.

Hey if people are dumb enough why not?

I support the right to die so I have a different perspective.

Even if Progressives, non Christians or the mentally unstable outside the USA are determined to make the world a better place by purging it of themselves and not taking others with them.......................

It is still a sad state of affairs, right?

Even if Progressives, non Christians or the mentally unstable outside the USA are determined to make the world a better place by purging it of themselves and not taking others with them.......................

It is still a sad state of affairs, right?

So Navy Dave thinks it'd be better that they commit murder before suicide? :twitch:

Or that it's better for the terminally ill to suffer?

It is a pretty terrible thing to do, but probably not illegal. I mean he's not conning them into buying a worthless timeshare in Tahiti. It's a little more difficult to talk someone into killing themselves. If the people are dumb enough to kill themselves because of what some dude typed on the internet...well, how can I put this gently? They're probably going to get the wrong toppings on their burger one day, get distraught and off themselves anyway. Even if they wouldn't kill themselves anyway, someone who could be talked into killing themself is, at the very least, going to be a significant drain on the tax dollars of actual productive citizens.

Archived