Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sun Sentinel: "General Manager Jeff Ireland is playing a dangerous game of Russian Roulette with nose tackle Paul Soliai"

pram11

"I’m not saying Soliai will be a Pro Bowler, but his development last season helped the Dolphins defense become one of the NFL’s stingiest units against the run in the second half of 2010. The four years the Dolphins have patiently invested in Soliai has clearly started to pay off."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/02/are-dolphins-taking-the-right-approach-to-free-agency.html

I read yesterday that the Niners may not franchise Abrayo Franklin -- 6-1/317 pound nose tackle who has started on the Niners the past couple seasons. Like the Dolphins, the Niners had a top-10 run defense in 2010 and he's turned in two real good seasons for them. He is a little older at 30-years old, but at a position where there is a definite shortage of quality starting players, Franklin is another option; although, probably a 3-4 year one.

We NEED to pick up another legitimate NT. Bryant did a good job at the end of the season (and did anyone see Howard Green, who we cut last off season, playing for the Packers in the SB?) but we need to add at least one more really good starter to the NT rotation, otherwise we're looking at another long season of giving up tons of running yards up the middle.

Why is it that NT's seem to often have weight and work ethic problems?

"Did Soliai, who has had a problem with his weight and work ethic since arriving in South Florida in 2007, clean up his act for this impending payday this offseason? Absolutely!

Are the Dolphins worried that once he receives a big payday (5-year, $30 million MIGHT do it) he’ll go back to his old tricks? Certainly, and they should be! But weight clauses and workout bonuses can address those issues."

"Did Soliai, who has had a problem with his weight and work ethic since arriving in South Florida in 2007, clean up his act for this impending payday this offseason? Absolutely!

Are the Dolphins worried that once he receives a big payday (5-year, $30 million MIGHT do it) he’ll go back to his old tricks? Certainly, and they should be! But weight clauses and workout bonuses can address those issues."

This was the reason I was a little bit worried about him. I doubt it's on any kind AH type of level, but it still must be considered I suppose. I don't get the mindset some of these guys have, but whatever. I still think he could be a really good player for us and solidify that DL of ours.

When you job is to essentially stay fat and not be moved, its pretty easy to become lazy.

So, after 3 1/2 years in the league, he suddenly figured out the game, and turned into a beast? What did he learn halfway through his fourth year that his coaches couldn't teach him before then?

Maybe he'll be able to maintain this high level of play, but it's much more likely that he's an underachiever looking for a big contract.

At least Haynesworth had enough ambition to play well for a full season or two before playing the Skins for fools - this guy only played well for a few games.

The Skins have a long, sorry history of getting suckered by gold-digging loafers, so if they've wised up at all, they'll need to be sure that they offer him a contract that's heavily incentive-laden in order to minimize the risk.

Which means that he'll probably sign somewhere else.

This seems to be the running theme with FA NTs. The obvious solution? High draft pick. Easier said than done, sure. But any easier than finding the London Fletcheresque NT in FA? Good luck with that, too.

If Ireland effs this up Bruce Allen better be ready with Danny's checkbook in hand.

It worries me when a young, high-end FA does not at least get a competitive offer from his current team. I'm also pretty cynical about any negative rhetoric that goes on between a top-shelf FA (or anybody for that matter) and his current team. That is, I think it is usually a ploy to get some team to overpay. Attitudes, habits and even bad blood can often be changed by new environments. If you don't got the skills, you don't got the skills.

---------- Post added February-13th-2011 at 01:20 PM ----------

Sometimes its legit but often its that weight and work ethic are an easy way to shift the blame from poor scouting and/or poor coaching.

The growing 'aura' around Solai concerns me that history may be repeating itself. We may be getting into the bidding when Solai's stock is the highest it's ever been. Other teams also want a 3-4 NT, and we'd have to come up with a mega-contract to beat out the others. Since he came out nowhere this season, I wonder if Solai's performance would stay at the high level to justify a big contract?

Right now, I see it as a gamble based on a Solai having a good final year during his contract period. So, if the Skins do win the bidding war, -- they'd be once again locked into a long-term contract for someone who might revert to his earlier (and less productive) form. CAn the Skins depend on Solai having a burning desire to be the "best ever", even after he's received his payday? It's not clear about Solai's history of keeping motivated.

And Shaun Rogers is a gamble too, but for different reasons. He's probably still got the talent, but needs the motivation. Unless ths Skins can really improve and start making it into the playoffs, Rogers probably wouldn't be a good fit here (see below):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e47a8d/article/heckert-on-exbrowns-dl-rogers-shauns-a-different-cat

Heckert cited Rogers' frustration with losing after spending his entire career in both Detroit and Cleveland. Rogers' career record is 45-115.

"Shaun's a different cat," Heckert told the newspaper. "Shaun's whole thing -- and he's stated a million times -- is that he's never been on a team that's any good. Every team he's ever been on has been bad. Right or wrong, I think it's taken a toll on him.

"I think if he went to a good team, things might change. I don't know."

So maybe the Skins need to look into swinging somethng like a sign and trade swap (if it's possible with this CBA turmoil), and pick up someone simply to man the space, while they address drafting (and developing) the new future talent. I think the Skins could easily get a sign-and-trade deal with the Cardinals for someone like either Allen Branch (a DT/NT who is now playing out of position) or Gabe Watson (a journeyman NT buried behind two good Cardinal NTs .) I chose the Cardinals for this example, because they are running a 3-4 defense similar to what Haslett is running.

Oh, more guys who "turned it on" in their contract year......that's just what we need.

would you prefer they 'turned it off'?

haynesworth ended up here because vinny couldn't judge a man's character to save his life, and Zorn demanded 0 respect. Things are different now.

Also, so much talk about how much money he should be paid...what do you care? It's not our money, we're not GMs.

I don't know. Everything I've heard about him has been so positive but this article outlines some weight/work ethic issues and that he seems to have JUST turned it on the past half-season right before he becomes a free agent? That really scares the hell out of me in terms of signing him because we've already been burned by Haynesworth.

would you prefer they 'turned it off'?

haynesworth ended up here because vinny couldn't judge a man's character to save his life, and Zorn demanded 0 respect. Things are different now.

Also, so much talk about how much money he should be paid...what do you care? It's not our money, we're not GMs.

It's not our money but it's money that could address other areas. For many years we couldn't address the o-line due to giving away draft picks and pushing ourself against the cap each season signing high profile free agents. I'd prefer we don't get into that mess again.

With that said I'm not super high on Solai. He seemed to have a great year but I too worry about guys that "get it" in their contract year. Rarely do those players continue to perform at the same level after a big payday. Miami keeps the players they want to keep, so if they let him walk I'm not interested.

In a bidding war for a popular free agent, contracts can often get structured in way that impacts how a team can develop depth for the future, or even fix a mistake.. (We've had bad luck on these types of contracts before.)

It becomes hard to bring in a replacement for a free-agent mistake, because the team is now concerned about cap hits and dead money. So the non-productive player is retained and even starting, simply to justify the money being spent. Once that happens, it gets harder to bring in more good talent (draft or FA) for that position, because you'd be essentially paying them to sit behind the costly free-agent mistake.

I'm not saying Solai will be a mistake, but the more the Skins sink into him at NT means the more they'd have to commit to playing him, regardless of how well he's performing in a year or two.

Now if after the CBA evolves ...and If the cap goes away .... then Snyder can spend whatever he wants and sign Solai, Rogers, etc. --all at the same time! Maybe that might become possible. But even then, Skins ticket prices, etc, would have to go up... and so --in a way-- part of these signings WILL be your money.

In a bidding war for a popular free agent, contracts can often get structured in way that impacts how a team can develop depth for the future, or even fix a mistake.. (We've had bad luck on these types of contracts before.)

It becomes hard to bring in a replacement for a free-agent mistake, because the team is now concerned about cap hits and dead money. So the non-productive player is retained and even starting, simply to justify the money being spent. Once that happens, it gets harder to bring in more good talent (draft or FA) for that position, because you'd be essentially paying them to sit behind the costly free-agent mistake.

I'm not saying Solai will be a mistake, but the more the Skins sink into him at NT means the more they'd have to commit to playing him, regardless of how well he's performing in a year or two.

Now if after the CBA evolves ...and If the cap goes away .... then Snyder can spend whatever he wants and sign Solai, Rogers, etc. --all at the same time! Maybe that might become possible. But even then, Skins ticket prices, etc, would have to go up... and so --in a way-- part of these signings WILL be your money.

Alright, makes sense. I guess most people don't really understand it that clearly though...I dunno, on some level it's annoying how much people bring money into the equation and throw the guys talents out the window. I think I'm just a hater today. First Sunday without football ya know

So, after 3 1/2 years in the league, he suddenly figured out the game, and turned into a beast? What did he learn halfway through his fourth year that his coaches couldn't teach him before then?

Maybe he'll be able to maintain this high level of play, but it's much more likely that he's an underachiever looking for a big contract.

At least Haynesworth had enough ambition to play well for a full season or two before playing the Skins for fools - this guy only played well for a few games.

The Skins have a long, sorry history of getting suckered by gold-digging loafers, so if they've wised up at all, they'll need to be sure that they offer him a contract that's heavily incentive-laden in order to minimize the risk.

Which means that he'll probably sign somewhere else.

Great post and I'm thinking that Allen's not going to give him a big contract without those incentives after the Hanyesworth mess he inherited. if he does that could cost him his job

Archived