Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank-You Dan Snyder

Mark The Homer

Well, what you got here is the new line in the sand basically. It's the first time in over a year that we've really had something new in this discussion. Snyder had been doing a great job laying low...and now this. It's made everyone re-examine where they stand on the guy, and declare their feelings one way or another. It's the "He wants to win and he's changed!" guys against the "See, he's the same old douche and therefore the Skins are still doomed" guys, and everyone has to pick a side.

And it won't die. This case is gonna take on a real life of its own. If there's no NFL season this year, it'll be all we got.

I'm not so sure this recent event will have anything to do with the Redskins on the field results. Clearly, for now anyway, he has stepped back and he's letting football people run the show. But this thread has nothing to do with that. The OP is trying to claim that the recent events have led to yet more piling on of Daniel Snyder. I mean it's not like he has had nothing to do with all the bad publicity. Negative articles a problem? Easy fix, stop acting like a douche bag. And sorry, Dan The Great extending tailgating hours on 3 home games doesn't offset all the ******** moves he has made.

F Dan Snyder.

I opened my morning paper this morning and, lo and behold, another negative article on Dan Snyder. :ols: Are you kidding me???

I think it's time we outlined some of the recent good things Snyder has done - because this interminable bashing, by the media and even by fellow ES members, is getting out of hand. Of course, this thread will scroll off the front page in a few hours because, after all, it's no fun talking about good stuff. But that's okay. And I'm not going to spend half a day researching this, so this will be a short list. Right off the top of my head, here goes:

The HD Tron: This thing is amazing. You can sit at the 50 yard line, and watch the screen as the players run out of the tunnel - and the clarity is amazing. You can actually see the mesh of the jerseys - even their individual facial hairs - as they run out of the tunnel. If I was standing at the opening of the tunnel myself, the view wouldn't be as good. The replays are instant and are shown after almost every play. Thank-you Dan Snyder. It is perfect.

Out-of-town scores: Constantly scrolling out-of-town scores. Pinch me, I'm dreaming. I've been wanting this for a decade, and now we have it. It is constant, it is real-time, and you can get a complete update on what's going on around the league in just a few seconds. Thank-you Dan Snyder. It is perfect.

Extended Tailgating: Three - yes, three of the eight games last year featured extended tailgating for the fans. Instead of the usual four-hour-before-kickoff lot openings, we were allowed two eight-hour tailgates, and one six hour tailgate. This is a major benefit for tailgating fans. If you host a large tailgate, as many of us regulars do, you know you will spend at least a half hour setting up, and at least a half hour tearing down. Add the time to enter the stadium, and you're really only left with about two-and-a-half hours of pure tailgating during a normal lot opening. But change four hours to eight hours, and the tailgating experience is three-times improved. It's a MAJOR upgrade to the game-day experience. It gives us the opportunity to do things we've never been able to do: cook a pig, barbecue a turkey, smoke a brisket, etc. All in a relaxed, unhurried, festive, Redskins environment. Thank-you Dan Snyder. It is perfect.

Uninvolved In Football Decisions: Isn't this what everybody wanted? Well, we have it. Every decision regarding Redskins football is now made by professionals who have spent their entire lives in football. Thank-you Dan Snyder. It is perfect.

Thank god. The organization is truly moving forward. We should be proud as fans.

yeah we should let Ralph Wilson buy the Redskins!!

Yeah we need to field a NFL caliber team like the other ( teams drafting ahead of us this year.

yeah we're old enough to remeber the Redskins could win championships, yet apprently not versed enough inn redskin lore to realise the 'Skin have exactly be the model of consistency throughout the franshises enntire history.

Yeah we should encourage an owner who seems to be learning from his mistakes to sell the team so that we don't benefit from the learning.

yeah we should definitly whine and complain then take credit for the things Snyder does right with an "about time" attitude, cuz every NFL owner is sooo attuned to the fan base.

you guys are like so smart OMG!!!

I found this article and I think he makes a good point when he says

"Sports writers, bloggers, sports radio “personalities” and fans need to get a life and think of something new to complain about. Bashing Snyder is uninteresting to read about and even more boring and unoriginal to listen to on the radio. People whose full-time jobs involve covering sports should be able to come up with something more than Snyder-bashing. How about some actual analysis of Redskins players, schemes, and specific ideas for improvement?"

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-washington-dc/redskins-owner-dan-snyder-made-mistakes-but-media-fans-should-stop-piling-on

It's an interesting read and I think merges well with the OP. In particular, when the writer states.

"This column is about the fact that it is just so tedious and tiresome to constantly condemn Snyder. Think of something new to write or talk about. Please. And if you’re going to criticize Snyder for all of the Redskins’ missteps, then he should get credit for the Redskins’ good moves as well."

Personally, I have grown so tired of the threads. When I read some of them, the image of angry villagers storming the castle with torches and pitchforks.

Personally, I have grown so tired of the threads. When I read some of them, the image of angry villagers storming the castle with torches and pitchforks.
You know what I've grown tired of? The mismanagement of my favorite sports team which has resulted in a losing record during Snyder's stewardship of the franchise and his gulling every last nickel out of the fervid fanbase.

You know what I've grown tired of? The mismanagement of my favorite sports team which has resulted in a losing record during Snyder's stewardship of the franchise and his gulling every last nickel out of the fervid fanbase.

Strides are honestly being made to make it a better experience for the fans. If you can't see it, then you are refusing to see it. While not perfect, things are getting better and the OP has great points in it.

You know I am tired of losing too. Did you read the article?

But seriously, what are you going to do about it? Do you think he would sell the team? Do you think he has been so reprehensible it would be taken from him?

The whole bashing of Snyder has gotten pretty sad. It's the same argument over and over. If your really that upset, and feel he is "gulling all your nickels" then use your power as a consumer. You absolutely are not required to purchase anything with a Redskins logo, nor are you required to attend a game. I am not saying you should walk away, but what good is your complaint if your not willing to take action? Personally, I don't attend games, and don't make a lot of purchases of gear and rarely attend games for several years since I moved from the area. But even when I lived in Alexandria, I had a choice to turn over my hard earned money. The choice is always yours as a consumer.

Like you, I want a winning product on the football field. All this other BS is worthless and has nothing to do with the team or it's performance. Now if you care to explain how a lawsuit concerning defamation and libel between an individual and a newspaper affects the performance of the coach, GM, scouts and players then I am all for it.

But when the spotlight shines on ownership and not football I lose interest. It's petty and has little real value.

You know I am tired of losing too. Did you read the article?
What article? If you mean the OP, I read it. Mark The Homer knows very well how the game day experience has declined during Snyder's ownership. He chose to focus on the positive things to counterbalance some of the Snyder bashing on ES lately and he made good points in the OP.
But seriously, what are you going to do about it? If your really that upset, and feel he is "gulling all your nickels" then use your power as a consumer. You absolutely are not required to purchase anything with a Redskins logo, nor are you required to attend a game. .
You'tre right. I was a season ticket holder for well over a decade and I gave them up so someone else who might apreciate them more could have them.
Like you, I want a winning product on the football field. All this other BS is worthless and has nothing to do with the team or it's performance. Now if you care to explain how a lawsuit concerning defamation and libel between an individual and a newspaper affects the performance of the coach, GM, scouts and players then I am all for it.
I'm not sure that a lawsuit affects the defense's ability to stop the opposition on third down or affect how the team moves the ball in the 4th quarter. I only assert that Daniel Snyder's management style overall is the root cause of the cumulative losing record the franchise has endured since he has owned the team.

His stewardship of this franchise has been abysmal and an abomination and that everything that has happened to this franchise — all the embarrassment, all the losing, all of the turmoil — is the responsibility of Snyder. He is exploiting the passion of the fans. He may love the Redskins but it’s apparent to me that what he really loves, is money.

Funny, were you tired of losing before Snyder bought the team? Because we were stank on ice before Snyder bought the team. From the point Joe Gibbs retired until Dan Snyder bought the team, the Redskins were horrible.

I found this article and I think he makes a good point when he says

"Sports writers, bloggers, sports radio “personalities” and fans need to get a life and think of something new to complain about. Bashing Snyder is uninteresting to read about and even more boring and unoriginal to listen to on the radio. People whose full-time jobs involve covering sports should be able to come up with something more than Snyder-bashing. How about some actual analysis of Redskins players, schemes, and specific ideas for improvement?"

Huh? Constructive criticism has gone on (and been ignored) for years. Where has this guy been?

Funny, were you tired of losing before Snyder bought the team? Because we were stank on ice before Snyder bought the team. From the point Joe Gibbs retired until Dan Snyder bought the team, the Redskins were horrible.
See my sig.

---------- Post added February-14th-2011 at 12:06 PM ----------

Rocky21

you responded to a post of mine in the first place where I placed a link to the article that I was quoting from.

So I will try again.

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-wa...stop-piling-on

Sorry I missed the linked article in your post. It's a dead link now BTW.

See my sig.

---------- Post added February-14th-2011 at 12:06 PM ----------

Sorry I missed the linked article in your post. It's a dead link now BTW.

maybe I screwed up posting it the 2nd time. But the post where you first responded with me still works.

Here it is again

http://www.examiner.com/sports-in-washington-dc/redskins-owner-dan-snyder-made-mistakes-but-media-fans-should-stop-piling-on

I did notice your sig. I also notice JKC purchased a 25% share in 1961 and became majority owner in 1974 and finally sole owner in 1985.

For sake of a fair comparison, I would think you would include Cooke's early years too.

See my sig.

Well, in fairness you are choosing what you are comparing. From Gibbs' retirement, the Redskins made the playoffs 0 times before Snyder bought the team (in six seasons). I could go backwards from today and say that Snyder has made the playoffs twice in his "last six seasons" as the owner. Is that really proving anything or am I just massaging the stats to fit a point (that Snyder's last six years have been more successful than the last six before Snyder owned the team)?

Edit: And don't take my post the wrong way...no one is claiming that Snyder is better than Cooke.

I though comparing Snyder's first 12 years of ownership to Cooke's last 12 years was a good comparison. Is it not?

Is he a good owner and I am somehow missing it?

Rude, Thanks for relinking the article. The guy’s point is Snyder’s strategy has been incoherent, near-sighted, and even hapless – he’s an easy target for criticism because he isn’t a great owner but it's played out so we should change the subject?

Well I didn’t grow up in Ohio like the author and the Redskins mean a great deal to me (way more than they should to a reasonable person) and Im pissed at the way he has run the team into the ground and turned it into his personal ATM so I’ll probably mention my displeasure again.

you know i am tired of losing too. Did you read the article?

But seriously, what are you going to do about it? Do you think he would sell the team? Do you think he has been so reprehensible it would be taken from him?

The whole bashing of snyder has gotten pretty sad. It's the same argument over and over. If your really that upset, and feel he is "gulling all your nickels" then use your power as a consumer. You absolutely are not required to purchase anything with a redskins logo, nor are you required to attend a game. I am not saying you should walk away, but what good is your complaint if your not willing to take action? Personally, i don't attend games, and don't make a lot of purchases of gear and rarely attend games for several years since i moved from the area. But even when i lived in alexandria, i had a choice to turn over my hard earned money. The choice is always yours as a consumer.

Like you, i want a winning product on the football field. All this other bs is worthless and has nothing to do with the team or it's performance. Now if you care to explain how a lawsuit concerning defamation and libel between an individual and a newspaper affects the performance of the coach, gm, scouts and players then i am all for it.

But when the spotlight shines on ownership and not football i lose interest. It's petty and has little real value.

owned

I though comparing Snyder's first 12 years of ownership to Cooke's last 12 years was a good comparison. Is it not?

No, it's not, and your sig is very poor because the comparison doesn't hold any weight. Comparing the beginning years of an owner who came in to power after a major six year skid to the franchise, and with no experience whatsoever in running an NFL franchise, to the latter years of an owner who gradually took over the franchise, and had been blessed with one of the best GM's in the business to learn from is not a good comparison at all. Comparing JKC's first twelve seasons to Snyder's would be more appropriate, though still hollow, since the game, league, and players have changed so much in between.

In retrospect, JKC and Snyder are very similar as owners in many ways. Both have never had issue with spending money on the team and players. Both were die-hards who wanted to win it all every season. JKC had the chance to learn slow and settle in (and also had experience running a professional team: LA Lakers), so he was better at letting football people run the show. Dan jumped straight into the fire and made the rookie mistakes. Hopefully, he has learned from his mistakes and is letting the football people do their thing now.

Thanks for the feedback Taylor 36. Since the question of whether Snyder is a good owner or not can be answered subjectively I am trying to come up with a way to answer the question based on objective critieria. The Redskins have lost more games than they have won since Snyder took over. No disputing that.

BTW I took your suggestion and compared JKC's first twelve seasons to Snyder's first twelve. Guess what? Same answer. 8 vs. 3.

So do you think he is a good owner?

Thanks for the feedback Taylor 36. Since the question of whether Snyder is a good owner or not can be answered subjectively I am trying to come up with a way to answer the question based on objective critieria. The Redskins have lost more games than they have won since Snyder took over. No disputing that.

BTW I took your suggestion and compared JKC's first twelve seasons to Snyder's first twelve. Guess what? Same answer. 8 vs. 3.

So do you think he is a good owner?

JKC joined ownership in 1961. His first 12 seasons as owner resulted in 2 playoff seasons.

JKC took over majority ownership in 1974. In the next 12 seasons the Skins appeared in 6 playoffs.

JKC took over as complete owner in 1985. In the next 12 seasons the Skins appeared in 5 playoffs.

Dan Snyder bought the team in 1999. In the next 12 seasons the Skins appeared in 3 playoffs.

JKC joined ownership in 1961. His first 12 seasons as owner resulted in 2 playoff seasons.

JKC took over majority ownership in 1974. In the next 12 seasons the Skins appeared in 6 playoffs.

JKC took over as complete owner in 1985. In the next 12 seasons the Skins appeared in 5 playoffs.

Dan Snyder bought the team in 1999. In the next 12 seasons the Skins appeared in 3 playoffs.

Hard to compare playoff appearances since playoff format changed within those timeframes. More appropriate metric is probably win-loss record, or maybe divisional titles.

According to the Redskins Wikipedia article, Cooke took over day-to-day in 1979. The best comparison is, probably, 1979-1991 vs. 1999-2011. Without looking at actual numbers, I can already infer how a W/L analysis will turn out.

For the record, let it be known again that I found JKC to be an off-putting character with a generally dislikeable demeanor, but appreciated that he never let his repugnant behavior affect how he ran the Washington Redskins.

According to the Redskins Wikipedia article, Cooke took over day-to-day in 1979. The best comparison is, probably, 1979-1991 vs. 1999-2011. Without looking at actual numbers, I can already infer how a W/L analysis will turn out.

So, Snyder still has 2011. The joke is on all of you when the new CBA allows for up to 4 Super Bowl champions per season. Final score: Cooke 3, Snyder 4!

Archived