Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank-You Dan Snyder

Mark The Homer

You all didn't seem to mind continually agreeing on everything in the negative Snyder threads.

Seeing as the fans have wanted a GM, Snyder to be hands-off, a new jumbotron, extending tailgates, etc., then doing all of that is a step in the right direction, or, light at end of the tunnel. Just as others complain about things Snyder does unrelated to football and claim that it seeps over to football, or is part of a larger picture, the positive things are equally included under that frame of thought.

If you are going to claim a lawsuit againt a paper, Six Flags failing, over-priced concessions, and other negative off the field stuff effects the Redskins and keeps them on the wrong path, then you have to accept the postive off field stuff as effecting the Skins as well and a part of the right path.

Elk. The bottomline is I'm tired of our beloved Redskins generating news on and off the field in a negative way every year under Snyder. We could barely make it to February without negative press this off-season..

You like Snyder and you are entitled to feel that way. I don't judge you because of it. I'm not quite that sensitive. Just like I can't stand him. I am entitled to feel that way and I make no apologies for it.

I agree. I am willing to give Snyder credit for the good things as long as he gets the blame for the bad things.

And the bad far outweighs the good.

In the words of Ed McMahon: "You are correct sir"

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 05:38 PM ----------

Elk. The bottomline is I'm tired of our beloved Redskins generating news on and off the field in a negative way every year under Snyder. We could barely make it to February without negative press this off-season..

You like Snyder and you are entitled to feel that way. I don't judge you because of it. I'm not quite that sensitive. Just like I can't stand him. I am entitled to feel that way and I make no apologies for it.

I don't like Snyder, but I don't dislike him either. He's an owner, overall my feelings are neutral. He has good aspects and negative aspects.

The bottom line is you ignored what I was saying, which is that if you're are going to qualify the negative aspects of Snyder, or anything for that matter, as having an effect on the team, then you have to qualify the positive effects as having an impact as well. You disregraded the positive things mentioned, a few times now, claiming they aren't good signs for the football team. Yet bad things Snyer does all qualify as bad signs for the team. That's an incredibly one-sided approach and it's a logical fallacy.

I argue for fair criticism of anything Redskins-related. Those who wish to be completely negative on a topic often confuse my points as being apologetic simply because I seek logical explanations rather than just making assumptions based off biased emotions.

Plus, it's pretty easy to think that all there is is negative news on the Skins when you flippantly dismiss positive news, as you've done in this thread. And it really doesn't matter what Snyder does, the local media and him are in a grudge match, so the negative reporting and negative slants will continue, ESPECIALLY when there is a segment of Redskins fans who continually buy into and repeat that negativity, despite claiming they don't want Snyder in the news, all because they need a scapegoat for the losses and can't get a hold of their emotions/frustration long enough to actually research and come to their own cocnlusions about where the problems were in a given season.

Perhaps if more people could appreciate the positive things and spend less time repeating the same negative stuff over and over, then they wouldn't be creating the demand which the Post et al feed off of.

I don't like Snyder, but I don't dislike him either. He's an owner, overall my feelings are neutral. He has good aspects and negative aspects.

The bottom line is you ignored what I was saying, which is that if you're are going to qualify the negative aspects of Snyder, or anything for that matter, as having an effect on the team, then you have to qualify the positive effects as having an impact as well. You disregraded the positive things mentioned, a few times now, claiming they aren't good signs for the football team. Yet bad things Snyer does all qualify as bad signs for the team. That's an incredibly one-sided approach and it's a logical fallacy.

I argue for fair criticism of anything Redskins-related. Those who wish to be completely negative on a topic often confuse my points as being apologetic simply because I seek logical explanations rather than just making assumptions based off biased emotions.

Plus, it's pretty easy to think that all there is is negative news on the Skins when you flippantly dismiss positive news, as you've done in this thread. And it really doesn't matter what Snyder does, the local media and him are in a grudge match, so the negative reporting and negative slants will continue, ESPECIALLY when there is a segment of Redskins fans who continually buy into and repeat that negativity, despite claiming they don't want Snyder in the news, all because they need a scapegoat for the losses and can't get a hold of their emotions/frustration long enough to actually research and come to their own cocnlusions about where the problems were in a given season.

Perhaps if more people could appreciate the positive things and spend less time repeating the same negative stuff over and over, then they wouldn't be creating the demand which the Post et al feed off of.

Great post, Elk. I agree with you 100%. If you're going to say Snyder's negative aspects are somehow detrimental to the team, you have to acknowledge the positive aspects (which happen to be unquestionably football-related).

Well, I am happy to report that the Wash Post didn't have a single anti-Snyder article in it this morning - first time in over a week.

He wouldnt have had any written about him if he didnt have such thin skin. Honestly I think his pr guy had to have been cringing at the thought of his lawsuit. Meanwhile David Donovan probably urged him on. I dont trust Donovan.

I'm sorry, but Snyder is the one who creates the supply of constant drama and negativity. No-one here is demanding it. In fact, most rational people here wish that Snyder would quit creating the supply in the first place. I can't believe how this crap gets twisted like somehow it's everyone else's fault that Snyder does the things he does and receives criticisms for it. It's like blaming the witnesses of a crime.

Light at the end of the tunnel? LOL! If you think installing the Tron, extending tailgates, showing out of town scores constitutes "light at the end of the tunnel" in regards to the direction this franchise is going? Then I've seen it all now.
Especially when these "awesome things" were basically concessions in an attempt to appease a fan base that is leaving Fedex in droves.

Yeah thanks Dan Snyder for being the biggest joke of an owner in this league. Are you kidding me with this thread? :ols:

Dude! Fed Ex just got HD 6 years after I did. That counts for somethin', right?

And there's extended tailgating. But you never hear about THAT in the Washington Post, do you?

It's all "He sues destitute grandmothers" and "He sells rancid peanuts" and "He constantly meddles in the team's affairs which is why the Skins are always average old."

They never say anything NICE about him. Those dicks.

Sentiment towards Snyder is unanimously negative as measured by tools like Tweet Feel which at my last count showed a 100% anti-Snyder rating, well below Hosni Mubarak who came in at 67% negative.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2011/02/this_is_what_happens_when_you.html?wprss=dcsportsbog

Apparently Mubarak is more popular than Snyder right now. Snyder, whatever you're doing right now, it might be time to try the opposite.

Snyder would like nothing better than another Redskins World Championship. He is first and foremost a fan just like you and me. The nature of Professional football is to run the team like a business especially when you have invested over a billion dollars in this team. If you can't afford tickets, stop whining and watch it at home. Snyder is a work in progress. 35 yr old NFL owners don't hatch out of eggs and hit the ground running and winning Superbowl rings. I grew up watching the 1960's Redskins stink up DC stadium for years. All we need is a few more good players, and a few less knuckleheads, less injuries and the Redskins will improve and start winning. And the old sports cliche will come true: "Winning is the great deodorizer." Complaining about the owner accomplishes nothing. Eagle fans complained about Jeff Lurie for years.

Ha ha. The "haters" label again, huh? Okay Larry Michael clonie. In case you didn't realize this is a public forum that is opened to discussion as long as you stay within the guidelines. Besides, how boring would it be if we all agreed.on everything?

Light at the end of the tunnel? LOL! If you think installing the Tron, extending tailgates, showing out of town scores constitutes "light at the end of the tunnel" in regards to the direction this franchise is going? Then I've seen it all now.

I've said all through this this thead I am not in support of anything Snyder has done with this team since he owned it. It's been a colossal eff up. What screwups he does outside of the Redskins is his own business. I couldn't think of another word for "haters." All Mark was trying to do is put a small positive light on the franchise. And negative Nancy, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how small it is.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 10:32 AM ----------

Great post, Elk. I agree with you 100%. If you're going to say Snyder's negative aspects are somehow detrimental to the team, you have to acknowledge the positive aspects (which happen to be unquestionably football-related).

I second this Elk. You took the words out of my mouth.

I think its important to people to realize that Snyder does want to win more than anything. This isn't a Peter Angelos situation.

However, I still think a huge majority of the negative news about him is self inflicted. He is a public figure in a big city and he owns something a lot of people care about. When things turned south during the Marty/Spurrier years, they seemed to decide that controlling the message was more important than taking a look themselves as an organization and how it was run. Guys like Vinny Cerratto and Larry Michael have damaged the Redskins brand more than the team probably will ever understand. Yes, people will complain if little information is coming from Redskins Park. But it will be a lot less than people who get frustrated with your play by play guy saying he'd take Jason Campbell over Peyton Manning, or wondering if reporters are "Dallas Spies". That just smacks of being petty and small about everything.

This time last year it was exciting because Shanny and Allen kept everything so close to the vest. No information about anything came out. We would wonder out loud what they could be planning, but a lot of us were happy that it was being kept secret. Well, they need to again look at themselves and think about a serious rebranding. Maybe copy Ted Leonsis' 101 list he put out there after getting the Bullets. The things fans were asking him to change. Acknowledge specific what people are asking for...and go one by one saying if its realistic or not. cup holders in the bathrooms? That's easy. Something like better cell service at FedExField could be another. Whole new radio booth for games? Maybe that takes time. Maybe that's a "no".

tackle things like that and don't worry about anything else for awhile.

Complaining about the owner accomplishes nothing. Eagle fans complained about Jeff Lurie for years.

Really? He has owned the team since 1995. They have made the playoffs 11 out of the 16 years he has owned the team....not to mention a brand new stadium in that time frame.

Eagles fans ***** about everything but you don't hear them ***** about their ownership.

Dan has owned the Skins for 4 less years and we have made the playoffs in 1999, 2005 and 2007 as wild card berths....

I don't think it's necessary to respect or admire the owner. Many people admire athletes, musicians, and celebrities that are far from "good people." Unfortunately, it does hurt to be embarrassed of the owner of your favorite team, and I think that is a normal emotion for many Skins fans at the moment.

In the end it's all about winning, and Snyder's record right now is not very good. I'm glad to see some "changes" in the way he's running the team, but let's be honest, if there weren't those changes there was going to be a full scale revolt. The traction against Snyder post-Detroit game in '09 was surprisingly heavy.

It's nice to look at the positives, but if the fans had done that back in '09 we might still be seeing Vinny as the face of the franchise. Sometimes audible disenchantment, no matter how depressing brings change for the positive.

ps. It's kind of sad that we're thanking Snyder for things that the fanbase has begged for years for. Is that how far we've fallen? Sorry to crap on this thread, if that's what this post is seen as.

I think its important to people to realize that Snyder does want to win more than anything.
I respectfully disagree. Snyder would like to win, sure, who wouldn't. He want's to make money more than anything else. His second goal is to keep the Redskins in the public conscience by making big splashes. A revolving door of FAs and coaches is not and never has been a formula for winning, therefore anyone who comes to the conclusion that winning is his utmost desire is simply unwilling to admit the obvious.

I respectfully disagree. Snyder would like to win, sure, who wouldn't. He want's to make money more than anything else. His second goal is to keep the Redskins in the public conscience by making big splashes. A revolving door of FAs and coaches is not and never has been a formula for winning, therefore anyone who comes to the conclusion that winning is his utmost desire is simply unwilling to admit the obvious.

I would respectfully disagree with you (and Buford). We're fooling ourselves if we pretend to know what motivates Snyder. I look at what he's done and believe he wants to win. You look at what he's done and believe it's not his top priority. Both sides could make pretty strong cases, but the fact is that we'll never really know how he prioritizes winning, making money, etc.

Really? He has owned the team since 1995. They have made the playoffs 11 out of the 16 years he has owned the team....not to mention a brand new stadium in that time frame.

Eagles fans ***** about everything but you don't hear them ***** about their ownership.

Dan has owned the Skins for 4 less years and we have made the playoffs in 1999, 2005 and 2007 as wild card berths....

Lurie also tried to buy the Patriots a few times. Diehard Eagle fans are weary of what he really wants.

I would respectfully disagree with you (and Buford). We're fooling ourselves if we pretend to know what motivates Snyder. I look at what he's done and believe he wants to win. You look at what he's done and believe it's not his top priority. Both sides could make pretty strong cases, but the fact is that we'll never really know how he prioritizes winning, making money, etc.
I am old enough to realize that you get a pretty good read on a fellow by examining the fruits of his labor. Snyder has turned the Skins into an incredible cash producing enterprise while putting a substandard product on the field. His entire business principle in anything he has ever done is based in marketing. There is absolutely nothing in his background that shows him ever putting a product into the marketplace that has a basis in quality.

Archived