Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Three-year-old suspended for not being potty trained

TD_washingtonredskins

The parent needs to get PissPants McGee's act together at home first and then bring her to school.

I never went to pre-school...I dont see why its all the rage now? It seemed like when I was a kid, the ones that went to pre-school had parents that didnt want to deal with them during the day due to the kids being brats or because both parents worked...or because they were mentally/physically challenged.

My first question would be.. Why isn't she potty trained? I agree that some kids develope faster or slower than others but 3? Maybe my son has spoiled me, when he was 2, I was changing his diaper and when I was done I looked at him and said.. "Enough of this, from now on you go to the bathroom in the toilet like a big boy ok?" He said ok, and that was it, not even an accident after that.

---------- Post added January-31st-2011 at 01:27 PM ----------

The parent needs to get PissPants McGee's act together at home first and then bring her to school.

I never went to pre-school...I dont see why its all the rage now? It seemed like when I was a kid, the ones that went to pre-school had parents that didnt want to deal with them during the day due to the kids being brats or because both parents worked...or because they were mentally/physically challenged.

Wow.. where to start.

In this area, some sort of day care or pre-school is necessary given the number of households with two working parents. I'm going to go ahead and disregard the rest of your post.

Full disclosure, my son is about that age and is doing better than that, but I wouldn't find it ridiculous if other kids in his class had 2 accidents per week.
Full disclosure here, my son wasn't close to potty trained when we sent him to Pre-school. We made him go to the bathroom before he left home and told him not to have an accident (and crossed our fingers). He never had a single problem.

Something tells me there is more to this little girls story than potty accidents. It sounds like serious separation anxiety. Not every kid is ready at 3.

Then I don't think they should be teaching three-year old children. That seems like a point that they just tacked on to sound good...if not, how are they OK dealing with the other students who have < 8 accidents per month (but do have occasional accidents)?

Wait, come on. A few accidents are acceptable, however it becomes clear that potty training does not exist for this child at a certain point.

I have a nephew and my wife has a God daughter both under three that are potty trained.

I guess I just don't understand a solid defense for the parent(s).

There is no reason to sign up for a school that has a policy in place that specifically brings this point to light if your child is not compliant.

Full disclosure here, my son wasn't close to potty trained when we sent him to Pre-school. We made him go to the bathroom before he left home and told him not to have an accident (and crossed our fingers). He never had a single problem.

Something tells me there is more to this little girls story than potty accidents. It sounds like serious separation anxiety. Not every kid is ready at 3.

There could be more to it...that wouldn't surprise me.

That's great that you were able to get that result. Our son actually has always done much better AT school than at home. He has most of his accidents at home, but I'm not sure why that is.

$800/month seems expensive for not wanting to deal with accidents. My son didn't potty train well at 3, and went to pre-school when he was 4. The school helped him get through his accidents and teachers were polite and nice about it (it was a private Christian school so that might have something to do with it). I don't think their tuition was near $800/month, but we had him in for 1/2 day 3-days a week.

Wait, come on. A few accidents are acceptable, however it becomes clear that potty training does not exist for this child at a certain point.

I have a nephew and my wife has a God daughter both under three that are potty trained.

I guess I just don't understand a solid defense for the parent(s).

There is no reason to sign up for a school that has a policy in place that specifically brings this point to light if your child is not compliant.

I understand and have agreed with that.

I was directly referencing the "we don't want to be around nude children" defense that was raised earlier in the thread. My point is that is a weak argument that should be thrown out by the school. If you are working with three-year old children and allow even one accident per kid per month, then the "nude children" defense is bogus and just tacked on to try to help your case.

There could be more to it...that wouldn't surprise me.

That's great that you were able to get that result. Our son actually has always done much better AT school than at home. He has most of his accidents at home, but I'm not sure why that is.

Probably the same reason that your son is better off at school. We taught our son that accidents at school were unacceptable and that he needed to put forth some effort. It worked for him (at least at school).

$800/month seems expensive for not wanting to deal with accidents. My son didn't potty train well at 3, and went to pre-school when he was 4. The school helped him get through his accidents and teachers were polite and nice about it (it was a private Christian school so that might have something to do with it). I don't think their tuition was near $800/month, but we had him in for 1/2 day 3-days a week.

sooo multiply the number you are talking about by AT LEAST -- 3 (you had half of three-fifths care) to make the numbers comprable.

Probably the same reason that your son is better off at school. We taught our son that accidents at school were unacceptable and that he needed to put forth some effort. It worked for him (at least at school).

Yep...they generally understand. Man, this is just reminding me how much of a debacle potty-training can be. It has to be handled properly and, the tricky part is that the "proper" way is different depending on the child.

At $885 a month, I'm really glad I never had kids. Jesus Christ that would almost take my wife's whole salary for a 2 week pay perid.

It is the reason why my kid is in a co-op preschool. $250 a month, but requires the parents to volunteer (20 hours, I think, and be an assistant in class once every 3 weeks.)

And yes, it is required that my son be potty trained. We went into overdrive with the training to make sure he was ready to go by the time school started.

I

I was directly referencing the "we don't want to be around nude children" defense that was raised earlier in the thread. My point is that is a weak argument that should be thrown out by the school. If you are working with three-year old children and allow even one accident per kid per month, then the "nude children" defense is bogus and just tacked on to try to help your case.

I wouldn't want to be in that situation either.

I do not think it is bogus, it is valid today. Teachers are protecting themselves.

I wouldn't want to be in that situation either.

I do not think it is bogus, it is valid today. Teachers are protecting themselves.

But I mean that you can't have it both ways. You don't want to be in that situation, so you don't watch 3-year old children. The only way this school can remove that potential situation is to have a zero-tolerance policy. This school allows up to 8 accidents per month, so obviously they are OK with their teachers changing children and cleaning them up.

I've had 4 kids go through pre-school (not day care). My wife is a stay at home mom, but we sent each of our 4 (our youngest is still there) to pre-school to help prepare for elementary school. Pre-schools are (generally) not certified to change diapers. Facilities that change diapers are required to have separate licenses, training, and associated costs. You can't blame a pre-school for clearly saying "we aren't one of the facilities that changes diapers, we aren't licensed for it". If you require diaper changing, send your kid to day care or some other pre-school that has the licenses and training to deal with it.

We worked pretty hard to get our kids potty trained in time, and the one who wasn't trained in time, didn't go to pre-school until he was ready (we enrolled him mid-year). There's a kid in my son's class who's parents "secretly" put him in pull ups and send him to school, faking like he's potty trained. When he takes a dump, the entire class stinks, and I think its inappropriate for the other kids to spend the day like that. It puts the poor child in an awkward position also.

Like everything else, the parents bear the responsibility. If you kid isn't potty trained, don't sent them to a facility that requires potty training, send them to one that doesn't.

You send your kid to pre-school because it can provide a better learning/educational environment than home during the day. We had our 2nd and my wife couldn't provide for our sons attention and developmental needs because she was dealing with the baby. It was clear that staying at home all day long wasn't the greatest environment, we wanted to get him into a different environment where he could learn and interact socially with other people. Like I said upstream, he went for 3 1/2 days during the week and I think it helped his development a lot.

Speaking as a pediatrician, (only) about 90% of developmentally normal children are potty trained "most of the time" by age 3. In other words, its not particularly unusual for kids to not be potty trained at three. There may be more to her story (meaning anxiety, health/cognitive issues, etc), but there may not be.

The problematic part here for me is that this is part of the public school system. Public schools have to deal with toileting issues all the time. Many of my patients have significant intellectual disabilities. Many wear diapers to school, even as teenagers. Part of the mission of the public school system is to meet the developmental needs of all children, regardless of disability or health problems. Now, I think it is totally reasonable to say that a 3 year old doesn't "need" preschool and she ought to wait a month or two until the potty issues don't interfere with her school day. But, as a larger principle, I guess I struggle with the idea of a "public" school turning anyone away.

sooo multiply the number you are talking about by AT LEAST -- 3 (you had half of three-fifths care) to make the numbers comprable.
The math doesn't add up that way. I also paid in full when we enrolled. Looking at their price-list... $600/month for 5-half days and $700/month for 5 full days of PK-4. I think we originally signed up my son for 3 half days, and then went to 3-full days because he wanted to stay there longer. We looked at a local co-op but with the baby it was unworkable. My wife didn't like the co-op either.

I already have the mind-set that when I'm a grandparent I'm going to do everything I can to be near my grandchildren so I can help alleviate some of the burden from my kids.

But, as a larger principle, I guess I struggle with the idea of a "public" school turning anyone away.
The school cost $800 a month. It does not appear to be a true part of the "public" system.

It's also fairly evident from the tone of the article that the mom was using this as daycare rather than pre-school. She comments on all the work she was forced to miss.

I would really love to put my 19 month little girl in day care but I just can't afford it. Morgage is kicking my ass and also I am not looking forward for the 250 per week for daycare just can't do it.

On subject though I am about 80% with potty training, She has no accidents or anything I am just having a problem teaching her too pull her pants down before she goes. She would go right to the potty with her underwear on LOL but we are working with that. I researched online and did the 3 day potty training method that suppose to teach your toddler how to be accident free in 3 days. I must say it worked after day 2 I just can't get her too pull her underwear down before she sits on the pot. I started about a week and an half ago so things are going great. She however is not very verbal and I think school will help that 100% thats why I wish I could send her. She talks all day will talk your head off but I don't know what shes saying for the most part. She knows Hi, Bye, Eat and Daddy Mommy and Buddy (dog) thats pretty much it.

Assuming you aren't lying about your age, I was well into my profession when you where at pre-school age and most parents had there kids in child care programs. Now some had the $ to hire a nanny but most didn't.

The school cost $800 a month. It does not appear to be a true part of the "public" system.

It's also fairly evident from the tone of the article that the mom was using this as daycare rather than pre-school. She comments on all the work she was forced to miss.

Right, its run by the Arligton County Public school, but it isn't part of the "normal" education system (k-12) that everyone is entitled to. I think of it as being similar to the before and after school care that you can put your kids in at the school. Its not part of the normal system, as evident by the additional cost. The 'system' has a certain responsibility to provide an equal opportunity within the context of the regular school day k - 12, but not for pre and after care, or the Montessori programs.

Archived