Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Three-year-old suspended for not being potty trained

TD_washingtonredskins

Curious what people thought about this since I know we have a lot of parents on ES...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/29/AR2011012903854.html

Zoe Rosso, who is 3 years old, likes to bake brownies with her mom, go to tumbling class and make up elaborate worlds with tiny plastic animals and dolls. Like many children her age, she sometimes has difficulty making it to the toilet on time.

That's why she was suspended from her preschool. For a month.

Arlington Public Schools' Montessori preschool at Claremont Elementary "removed" Zoe in December, asking her parents not to bring her back to school for a month, or until the child learned not to have any more "accidents."

Seems appropriate to me.

I suppose, given the policy, you could say that it's justified. I still don't believe it's appropriate as I believe the role of any pre-school or day care (let's call it what it is, this isn't an Ivy League School) is to help kids reach age-appropriate milestones, not weed out kids who haven't.

So, I don't think the mom is going to succeed in getting the school to change its policy, but I don't understand the rigidity behind that policy.

To the mom:

She's three. Send her to a 'school' that's more lenient about accidents.

I guarantee it won't hurt her chances of going to college. :rolleyes:

To the school:

They're three. Lighten the hell up.

Oh, and

Now, Rosso - who had to effectively shut down her business for a month while she scrambled to find child care and still had to pay the preschool's $835 monthly tuition - is pushing the county and School Board to change its potty policy. She calls it her "Potty Manifesto."

Why the hell is the school charging her and why the hell is she still paying?

Perfectly reasonable. There are several day-cares in this area that have the expectation of your kid being potty trained before they can attend.

Those day cares are much cheaper, too. In addition to being more about learning. I guess less time dealing with poo means more time for learning and lower costs.

*edit*

I notice this is public preschool. I don't think it's fair to hold them to a different standard. If this mother doesn't want to conform to the curriculum, she has plenty of other options. There are dozens of other day cares where potty training is not a requirement for attendance

I was on the Board of Directors for a preschool, and it had this policy. Every single preschool I know has this policy.

Little kids can have an occasional accident, but if they aren't potty trained at all, they aren't welcome. Otherwise, changing diapers would become the full time job of the teachers.

This parent is a complete moron, with entitlement issues. And this should not even be a story in the Post,

Policy is 8 accidents in a month. That girl is not even close to potty trained. Plus she sounds like she has found a sure fire way to get attention and stay home.

If that's the policy I'm definitely more on the school side.

Two of my three kids weren't potty trained by three. We didn't sign them up for stuff that required potty-trained kids.

It's not that complicated. :)

I was on the Board of Directors for a preschool, and it had this policy. Every single preschool I know has this policy.

Little kids can have an occasional accident, but if they aren't potty trained at all, they aren't welcome. Otherwise, changing diapers would become the full time job of the teachers.

This parent is a complete moron, with entitlement issues. And this should not even be a story in the Post,

Agreed. Why would the post pick this story up?

Also, as a parent, I don't think it would be fair to my children for their teacher to spend all their time handling a kid who keeps crapping her pants. That's time away from learning for everyone else.

Agreed. Why would the post pick this story up?

Also, as a parent, I don't think it would be fair to my children for their teacher to spend all their time handling a kid who keeps crapping her pants. That's time away from learning for everyone else.

On top of that, why would you want your kid to be 'the stinky kid?'

Because that's what happens when your kid isn't potty trained and all the other kids are.

The day takes care of itself. Call it child care.

Well said.

When you enroll your child in child care at the age of 3, it seems ridiculous that any school would not accept kids who are still working through potty-training. I'd love to know what activities are so important that they can't be interrupted by one of the teachers for 3 minutes to deal with an accident.

Again, within the context of this specific situation, I think the school is in the right since they have the policy in place. The mom was in the wrong for enrolling in a school with this policy. However, I question this type of policy. Kids should be kids at that age. This seems like another way we can puff our chests out about our children and compare notes at soccer practice to make sure our little angels are better than your little angels (ours' go to this "school" and yours goes to this "day care").

Policy is 8 accidents in a month. That girl is not even close to potty trained.

That's quite a few accidents, but it's not exactly awful...2 accidents every 5 days at school isn't really THAT many for a 3-year old (I wouldn't think). Full disclosure, my son is about that age and is doing better than that, but I wouldn't find it ridiculous if other kids in his class had 2 accidents per week.

This seems like another way we can puff our chests out about our children and compare notes at soccer practice to make sure our little angels are better than your little angels (ours' go to this "school" and yours goes to this "day care").

It's easy to fix that "problem". If you coach their activities you don't have to listen to idiot parents looking to fill time with empty conversation. :ols:

Oh, I also didn't like the policy of announcing how many accidents each little kid had at the end of every day. That seems a bit harsh.

---------- Post added January-31st-2011 at 01:12 PM ----------

Another thing that stuck out to me was the part about Teachers not wanting to put themselves in the situation of nude children. Totally reasonable in our current society.

Then I don't think they should be teaching three-year old children. That seems like a point that they just tacked on to sound good...if not, how are they OK dealing with the other students who have < 8 accidents per month (but do have occasional accidents)?

Archived