Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Online News Sources

AsburySkinsFan

Ok, someone asked me the other day where I get my news since I don't watch cable news anymore, and after listing a couple one of which is not very hard hitting and the other which is entirely too partisan I found that a lot of my news comes from threads listed on ExtremeSkins. Now, while that's not necessarily a bad thing considering the full range of things that get tossed around on here, I find myself looking for a quality online news source.

What I'm looking for in no particular order:

1) As non-partisan as possible

2) Wide ranging topics as well as news of the day (not tabloid)

3) Good reporting not just blogging

I like the format and coverage of HuffPost but I'm sick of the entirely too predictable Leftist blathering. That said I'm not looking for a WorldNetDaily either.

NakedCapitalism.com - Yves Smith's blog; updated with daily links to other articles.

BaselineScenario.com - Simon Johnson's blog with help from James Kwak.

CalculatedRiskBlog.com - Don't read as much due to information overload.

DrudgeReport.com - Right wing bented but most of the major news one would want to see.

Most of the sites I like are somewhat specialized. I read HotAir.com, a right wing political blog simply for the political news and not the underlying editorializing of the articles.

DrudgeReport is really the gold standard. Drudge himself is very conservative, but he takes news from many diverse sources and presents them. What's left is centrist right leaning.

TheDailyBeast is one of my newer favorites. It too is centrist right leaning; but they don't just reprint other peoples stories like drudge does; they also have their own content. IT's updated much more quickly than drudge and they also have editorialists.

Google.news; Yahoo.news; CNN.com are all good to find out generally what's going on in the world.

As for TV news... BBC rocks.

DrudgeReport is really the gold standard. Drudge himself is very conservative, but he takes news from many diverse sources and presents them. What's left is centrist right leaning.

center-right maybe 3 years ago. Now it is full-on conservative news. It's common to see headlines that are just links to WND stories. Anything and everything it can do to discredit global warming, and headlines demonstrating dem hypocrisy without corresponding ones showing rep hypocrisy. Even some relatively major stories that would be critical of reps simply aren't put on there anymore, or are delayed or buried. I used to be a regular consumer, but not anymore, or I see it as only a supplement to other, more reputable sites.

I like politico for politics-related news, but it's not wide-ranging. As a collection of links without a partisan overlord, I like fluent news, if you have an iPhone or iPad.

People knock Drudge,but if you scroll down there are links to just about every major news group,paper and commentator/columnist.

Nobody mentioned Reuters yet?

If you want mainly politics memeorandum is a good collection of various views

Really the slant and best unbiased source vary by topic

I trust abc news, NPR and BBC the most.

American television: CNN tries the best to be as middle of the road, level headed as possible. I avoid MSNBC and FOXNews like aids.

Internet: I've started to really get into RT America News lately as it pertains to politics/economics. I follow Mike Norman and Warren Mosler and Norman is on RT a lot.

For biased slants:

huffingtonpost.com

drudgereport.com

I only go to those two websites to see what the far left and far right nutbags will be talking about and/or how current news is being "interpreted". I will say though, huffingtonpost is actually a very decent site for all things NOT political.

TheDailyBeast is one of my newer favorites. It too is centrist right leaning; but they don't just reprint other peoples stories like drudge does; they also have their own content. IT's updated much more quickly than drudge and they also have editorialists.

I think the DailyBeast is OK, but I probably wouldn't personally recommend the Drudge Report. It's horribly designed (black hyperlinks on a white background is hard on the eyes after a while), too busy in content (some navigation tabs separated by content would be nice), and they are way too eager to repeat the latest anti-Obama or anti-Democratic attack of the day (though Drudge is way better than a site such as NewsMax).

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 02:44 AM ----------

I only go to those two websites to see what the far left and far right nutbags will be talking about and/or how current news is being "interpreted". I will say though, huffingtonpost is actually a very decent site for all things NOT political.

HuffPo is good if you don't agree with their politics but want fast updates on recent events (such as the Cairo riots going on right now). Otherwise, yes, it has a definite left-leaning slant, so it's a hybrid political/news site.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 02:47 AM ----------

Another website for politics (but of a more left-of-center liberal bent): http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

HuffPo is good if you don't agree with their politics but want fast updates on recent events (such as the Cairo riots going on right now). Otherwise, yes, it has a definite left-leaning slant, so it's a hybrid political/news site.

The last straw for me was the fact that every time there is anything slightly Christian on there it's presented as if all Christians are Pat Robertson clones, or the Liberalized reductionism of Christianity to as philosophy of Jesus-isms.

I do want to thank everyone, I've got Reuters, AP, NPR, and The Daily Beast in my news bookmarks now, I'll still look at the CNN front-page for anything breaking but nothing more than that. HuffPost is gone now for me relegated to the trash heap with WorldNetDaily and the Drudge.

The last straw for me was the fact that every time there is anything slightly Christian on there it's presented as if all Christians are Pat Robertson clones, or the Liberalized reductionism of Christianity to as philosophy of Jesus-isms.

I am not sure if you realized this, but HuffPo has an entire section devoted to religion, with frequent posts from Christians (and other faiths). But I have read a number of Christian-based articles on that sight, but HuffPo is also not afraid to be critical, and nor should they be, IMO.

The area that I am talking about:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/religion/

Religion, though, is always bound to get a strong reaction either way. It's controversy.

I do want to thank everyone, I've got Reuters, AP, NPR, and The Daily Beast in my news bookmarks now, I'll still look at the CNN front-page for anything breaking but nothing more than that. HuffPost is gone now for me relegated to the trash heap with WorldNetDaily and the Drudge.

It looks like you got a good list together. I reads the BBC on a regular basis (as well as the other Brit papers, such as the Guardian), since it is nice to get a transatlantic view on things.

You want a christian based website that leans towards your lefty beliefs.

OK :ols:

Plus you want an unbiased source :ols:

I know you get mad at me, but lets be real. They don't exist. And they are all extremely biased, not to mention lefty and christian blend = oil and water.

How cute,their own little ghetto :evilg:

Everything is "ghettoized" on that site. :-)

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 06:08 AM ----------

You want a christian based website that leans towards your lefty beliefs.

OK :ols:

Plus you want an unbiased source :ols:

I know you get mad at me, but lets be real. They don't exist. And they are all extremely biased, not to mention lefty and christian blend = oil and water.

Are you trying to suggest that Christians can't be on the left side of politics? Because there are millions of Christians around the world (and in the US) that would disagree with you.

Are you trying to suggest that Christians can't be on the left side of politics? Because there are millions of Christians around the world (and in the US) that would disagree with you.

Not in the media. But if you have a lefty christian based news source, please post it. Thanks.

Archived