Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vestal officials investigating incident at high school

China

Vestal officials investigating incident at high school

'Kick a Jew day' may cause suspension of 37 students

VESTAL -- An incident in which Jewish students at Vestal High School were kicked by fellow students is being investigated by school officials, according to a parent, the local Jewish community and the school district.

"Apparently, there was an incident, or series of incidents, in which a number of students were involved in 'kick a Jew day,' in the Vestal school," said Michael Wright, chairman of community relations for the Jewish Federation of Broome County.

Some students are facing disciplinary action, one parent said.

The parent, Gordon Gardner, said he got a telephone call this week from Mike Rotondi, assistant principal at Vestal High, who told him 37 students, including his 14-year-old son, could face suspensions because of the event.

His son has admitted taking part and should be punished, said Gardner, a Press & Sun-Bulletin employee. But he believes the event took place because of immaturity, not intolerance or maliciousness. Specifically, Rotondi told him the students were copying a prank inspired by the animated television show "South Park."

The episode, "Kick a Ginger Day," first shown in 2005, was intended as a satirical comment on the stupidity of targeting certain groups. But, spread by Facebook and other social media, students in schools across the country picked up on the idea to hold their own "Kick a Ginger Day." Students are invited via a widely circulated Facebook message to "kick a ginger" -- a redhead -- on a specific day.

"Kick a Ginger Day" has now apparently morphed into 'kick a Jew day," officials said. In November 2009, "kick a Jew day" at Naples Middle School in Florida made national news.

The Vestal event came to Wright's attention after a parent and a local rabbi called him with reports about incidents that happened in early December.

Wright said he called school Superintendent Mark LaRoach, who assured him the situation was being taken seriously by officials and would not be tolerated.

According to reports he received, some students thought the Vestal event was done "in jest" and was "fun," while others did not, Wright said.

Click on the link for the full article

The episode, "Kick a Ginger Day," first shown in 2005, was intended as a satirical comment on the stupidity of targeting certain groups. But, spread by Facebook and other social media, students in schools across the country picked up on the idea to hold their own "Kick a Ginger Day." Students are invited via a widely circulated Facebook message to "kick a ginger" -- a redhead -- on a specific day.

"Kick a Ginger Day" has now apparently morphed into 'kick a Jew day," officials said. In November 2009, "kick a Jew day" at Naples Middle School in Florida made national news.

The Vestal event came to Wright's attention after a parent and a local rabbi called him with reports about incidents that happened in early December.

I distinctly remember the "Kick a Ginger Day" thread popping up here in the tailgate when it came up. Most laughed it off as harmless, but a few of us (mostly gingers like myself, I'll admit) posed the "What if it was 'kick a black kid' or 'kick a Jew' day? Would you all be laughing then?" But watch South Park catch all the flak from him, despite the fact that they were proving how stupid an idea like this is...you know, the exact opposite message these kids got.

I distinctly remember the "Kick a Ginger Day" thread popping up here in the tailgate when it came up. Most laughed it off as harmless, but a few of us (mostly gingers like myself, I'll admit) posed the "What if it was 'kick a black kid' or 'kick a Jew' day? Would you all be laughing then?" But watch South Park catch all the flak from him, despite the fact that they were proving how stupid an idea like this is...you know, the exact opposite message these kids got.

I'm a ginger, and so's my son. I went through it all. It was something I was made aware of practically every day. In my schools, whites were minorites (severely) and of course there's going to be beatings based on that.. it hapens. But when it did, man, all the white kids would point at me and it was like "Look! He's different from ALL of us!"

and so i learned to fight pretty well just trying to keep from getting my ass kicked all the time.

My son had some problems back in elementary school with some kids who were picking on him because of it,, you know Sparta, we're pretty used to being easily spotted as different.

One day a kid shoved my sons head so hard into a bus window that it put a mouse on his forehead the size of a half dollar.

So I went down to the school, and the principal met us in the lobby. I told her why I was there, showed her his head, and told her i expect something to be done about it.

Her response was to ask me why I thought they were picking on my son. I was rather surprised (mind you, she has not invited us into her office.. this discussion took place in the lobby) I told her kids pick on kids that are different, and red haired kids are often bullied .. this woman actually laughed. She laughed and told me that "oh, I don't think so. Children don't notice differences like that."

I asked her which planet she was living on, and that I'd be back the next day and that I expected that something would be done about it. She countered by telling me that i should go ask my son what he's maybe done to precipitate the violence.

I nearly exploded.

So, I complained to the school board. Apparently I wasn't the only one, because she was replaced within a month.

The next principal was much different. The next incident was on the playground, and my boy got his head slammed into a fencepost. I went down to the school and got a complete 180. Mrs Young was quick, thorough and the next day had three kids in "custody" for it all. My son has never had a problem since.

People don't like to believe their sweet kids could do anything. Lots of them are little psychopaths, and there's nothing new about it.

~Bang

Schools that have zero tolerance policies for drugs and weapons - even Advil and eating utensils - should have zero tolerance for bullying acts like these. And they are bullying acts even if the perpetrators couch them in terms of harmless teasing or kids having fun.

Tough situation.

You can't let things like this happen, but at the same time, kids are total idiots and it is easy to go too far in cracking down, especially in our new days of zero tolerance and "your record follows you forever." A short suspension sounds right, but I'm not there.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 02:23 PM ----------

Schools that have zero tolerance policies for drugs and weapons - even Advil and eating utensils - should have zero tolerance for bullying acts like these. And they are bullying acts even if the perpetrators couch them in terms of harmless teasing or kids having fun.

Actually, they should get rid of blanket zero tolerance policies and go back to case by case analysis. But that's not going to happen.

Totally agree with abolishing "zero tolerance"

Zero tolerance = zero thought.. and zero responsibility.

Administrators can do the stupidest things and hide behind it because it absolves them of having to actually think about what they're doing.

~Bang

I agree with the absurdity that zero tolerance policies have become. I guess my point was that if anything should be slapped with zero tolerance, it's violent bullying. And I think that kicking someone falls into that category.

I agree. Until I remember how stupid and thoughtless I was in high school.

I don't think "Kick a Ginger Day" is the only South Park connection. South Park was really taking off when I was in middle school or high school, and there were incidents like this on a smaller scale.

The Jewish kid (Kyle, right?) is frequently belittled on South Park and there are all kinds of Jewish jokes woven into the show. Fine, whatever, it's a TV show, and if I'm not mistaken at least one of the writers is Jewish. But for whatever reason, some people my age and younger seem to have grown up with the impression that making fun of Jewish kids is ok and it's just a joke, not real racism. It's odd to me.

But watch South Park catch all the flak from him, despite the fact that they were proving how stupid an idea like this is...you know, the exact opposite message these kids got.
I don't think "Kick a Ginger Day" is the only South Park connection. South Park was really taking off when I was in middle school or high school, and there were incidents like this on a smaller scale.

The Jewish kid (Kyle, right?) is frequently belittled on South Park and there are all kinds of Jewish jokes woven into the show. Fine, whatever, it's a TV show, and if I'm not mistaken at least one of the writers is Jewish. But for whatever reason, some people my age and younger seem to have grown up with the impression that making fun of Jewish kids is ok and it's just a joke, not real racism. It's odd to me.

It's like I called it :ols:. But really the problem I have with blaming South Park for this is the same problem I have with blaming GTA for school shootings: somebody is blaming their failings as a parent on an easy and convenient target. I'm not trying to call you out, but this whole "we grew up watching an adult cartoon in middle school and got the wrong message so it's the show's fault" attitude that just rub me the wrong way. Any sane adult who watches how the Jews are mocked or belittled realizes that most of it is done by Cartman....who is frequently shown to be an idiot for having such opinions and they often backfire on him. The kids see that Cartman is a racist and think that's the reason he's funny...when most of his friends and schoolmates are put off by it and it often comes back to bite him in the ass. See the Ginger Kid episode of South Park for a great example of this.

And Bang, me and my little sister were both red-heads, so I had quite a few, um, "incidents" growing up with kids who picked on both of us because *gasp* we were different! I guess the benefit is that unlike a lot of those kids, I developed a personality and sense of humor, so in the end I guess I (and my sister) won.

Administrators can do the stupidest things and hide behind it because it absolves them of having to actually think about what they're doing.

~Bang

Also, Zero Critical Thinking.

I agree it should be abolished. I am probably a bit biased cause my sister was expelled from her highschool under the Zero Tolerance policy, but still it is a dumb policy.

Basically, her and a bunch of friends were drinking at a friend's house before a school dance. Everyone else was more experienced, she was not. Had too much, felt sick at the school dance, threw up in the trash can, yadda yadda yadda. Even though she didn't drink on campus or bring alcohol, since she had it in her system, she was expelled, no questions asked, they cared less what my parents, friend's parents etc had to say. It was also her first offense, and she had never even had something as weak as detention before ever.

Not allowing teenagers to make stupid mistakes that they can learn from is quit idiotic of adults, especially ones that you for damn sure know were doing the same things when they were teenagers.

Oh and re:"Kick a Ginger Day" You can't blame South Park for it, obviously, but what you can blame is parents letting TV be the babysitter. Let me explain. When a dumb teenager watches a show like South Park or in my day Beavis & Butthead, a majority of them don't understand what they are watching is satire and parody. They view these shows in a completely different light and way. This is where PARENTING comes in and it is more of a teachable moment if you ask me. My parents sat me down a long time ago and had that talk with me, in my day it was The Simpsons. I was 10 when the first season kicked off, and the same people were decrying that show back then.

And Bang, me and my little sister were both red-heads, so I had quite a few, um, "incidents" growing up with kids who picked on both of us because *gasp* we were different! I guess the benefit is that unlike a lot of those kids, I developed a personality and sense of humor, so in the end I guess I (and my sister) won.

:cheers:

You and me both! i learned three things. how to run my mouth, how to run my fists, and how to RUN.

Nowadays I don't run so much except on the tennis court, I don't run my fists at all, but the running of my mouth has been an invaluable asset :D

~Bang

:cheers:

You and me both! i learned three things. how to run my mouth, how to run my fists, and how to RUN.

Nowadays I don't run so much except on the tennis court, I don't run my fists at all, but the running of my mouth has been an invaluable asset :D

~Bang

:ols: Boy do I hear you on that one. My friends know me as the smartass whose every other sentence is dripping with sarcasm. Those who know me love to see me interact with people who don't, I can always hear them snickering when somebody doesn't catch on quick enough.

:ols: Boy do I hear you on that one. My friends know me as the smartass whose every other sentence is dripping with sarcasm. Those who know me love to see me interact with people who don't, I can always hear them snickering when somebody doesn't catch on quick enough.

:ols:

We sound like peas in a pod.

~Bang

~Bang

OTOH, it can also shield Administrators from "But Little Johny can't possibly be punished for kicking a Jew on 'kick a Jew' day. It's not fair! You're ruining his entire life!"

OTOH, it can also shield Administrators from "But Little Johny can't possibly be punished for kicking a Jew on 'kick a Jew' day. It's not fair! You're ruining his entire life!"

I believe common sense shoul be plenty of protection.

Start treating it like the cops do. Make sure your bases are covered with facts and then tell Mrs Painintheneck to beat it.

~Bang!

In WV, "battery" is defined as "physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature." I'd say this qualifies. Do I think these kids should be arrested? No. Not unless there was actual injury, of course. But a day or two off, and five pages with references on why treating people differently based on race/background is wrong is in order, IMO.

For the record, I think these kids are just dumb, and probably not anti-semitic. I say that, because at that age, I was pretty stupid too.

It's like I called it :ols:. But really the problem I have with blaming South Park for this is the same problem I have with blaming GTA for school shootings: somebody is blaming their failings as a parent on an easy and convenient target. I'm not trying to call you out, but this whole "we grew up watching an adult cartoon in middle school and got the wrong message so it's the show's fault" attitude that just rub me the wrong way. Any sane adult who watches how the Jews are mocked or belittled realizes that most of it is done by Cartman....who is frequently shown to be an idiot for having such opinions and they often backfire on him. The kids see that Cartman is a racist and think that's the reason he's funny...when most of his friends and schoolmates are put off by it and it often comes back to bite him in the ass. See the Ginger Kid episode of South Park for a great example of this.

I'm not suggesting that the creators of South Park are in any way responsible for what happened. Stupid kids do stupid things.

Like I said in my post, although I didn't stress the point, South Park is a TV show, and whatever they show is up to them and Comedy Central. Anyone who doesn't want to see it doesn't have to.

My probably poorly written post was just an observation of the fact that so many people my age and younger seem to have missed the point of the South Park episodes, like you said. Instead of being looked at as the "bad" character, he's the one people tend to imitate. Maybe negative character aspects tend to be easier to pick out in a person, and therefore identify with. At a base level, they also tend to be funnier. Most of the lines people quote from South Park come from him. "Get in that kitchen and make me some pie!" "Respect my authoritah!" All that stuff.

At least in high school, I found that especially true of the parodied anti-Semitism.

Kinda like the way everyone killed Chapelle's Show by quoting the Rick James episode nonstop.

I'm not suggesting that the creators of South Park are in any way responsible for what happened. Stupid kids do stupid things.

Like I said in my post, although I didn't stress the point, South Park is a TV show, and whatever they show is up to them and Comedy Central. Anyone who doesn't want to see it doesn't have to.

My probably poorly written post was just an observation of the fact that so many people my age and younger seem to have missed the point of the South Park episodes, like you said. Instead of being looked at as the "bad" character, he's the one people tend to imitate. Maybe negative character aspects tend to be easier to pick out in a person, and therefore identify with. At a base level, they also tend to be funnier. Most of the lines people quote from South Park come from him. "Get in that kitchen and make me some pie!" "Respect my authoritah!" All that stuff.

At least in high school, I found that especially true of the parodied anti-Semitism.

Kinda like the way everyone killed Chapelle's Show by quoting the Rick James episode nonstop.

Ah, I misunderstood the point you were trying to make then. My mistake. And I have to agree that Cartman is the funniest and easiest to imitate, but for all the wrong reasons. One of my favorite lines from South Park is in the episode where Kyle's cousin Kyle comes to visit. When Kyle (the cousin) keeps interruping class and the teacher tells him he needs to concentrate better, Cartman uncontrollable blurts out "Maybe we should send him to a concentration camp." Now I, as an adult, know that thousands of reasons that joke is wrong, innapropriate, and hilarious; and as a result there is a time and place to tell that joke and all the many occasions and people that would make it not so. A teenager who isn't properly taught why that's wrong can seriously piss off/insult the wrong people.

I don't have kids, but if my hypothetical son got suspended from school for participating in "Kick a Jew" I could guarantee he'd never do anything that stupid again. And maybe some of these kids will, but we all know those parents who have the perfect children who can do no wrong. Those kids are why zero-tolerance policies exist to cover administrator's butts and are such a pain in the butt for regular kids with normal parents.

Archived