Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Raiders promote Hue Jackson to coach

DWinzit

Raiders promote Hue Jackson to coach

Raiders promote Hue Jackson to coachALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders have promoted offensive coordinator Hue Jackson to become the team's sixth head coach since 2003.

The team announced the hiring Monday. Jackson was widely considered the leading contender to get the job as soon as the Raiders announced Jan. 4 that they were not picking up an option to keep coach Tom Cable. This is Jackson's first head coaching job at any level.

Jackson was hired a year ago to take over the play-calling duties from Cable and oversaw a transformation on offense. Oakland more than doubled its scoring total from the previous season. That increased scoring helped the Raiders win eight games and avoid an eighth straight losing season.

Terms of the Jackson deal weren't immediately available. In the past, the Raiders signed first-time coaches to two-year contracts with two-year team options included.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6031671

That is good news I guess. Hue Jackson is a good guy and a former Redskins coach under Spurrier. He was one of the few that made himlook good and had a semblance of competence. He learned the Air Coryell offense under Cam Cameron in Baltimore and I think he did the same in Cincinnati. I think he also worked briefly under AL Saunders in Baltimore where Saunders was a consultant.

The 700 page play book and Jason meets once again :ols: Poor guy, he can't catch a break it seems.
Feel like I know the results

:fortune:

Raiders promoted OC Hue Jackson to head coach, as expected.

Jackson becomes Al Davis' seventh coach in the last decade. He was handpicked by Davis to run Tom Cable's offense last offseason, improving the unit from 31st to 10th in yards and 31st to sixth in points. Jackson has been credited with helping to develop NFL stars as disparate as Chad Ochocinco, Roddy White, and Joe Flacco. He's earned the opportunity to run the show, and the continuity is good news for Darren McFadden's fantasy value. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, former Chiefs' assistant Al Saunders will be hired as offensive coordinator. It's a sign that Jason Campbell will return as the starter, since Saunders has worked with him in the past.

Source: Oakland Raiders on Twitter

The 700 page play book and Jason meets once again :ols: Poor guy, he can't catch a break it seems.

That is some consistency form Jason since he is familiar with the air coryell system. They are really ripping him with that 700 page playbook but the reality is that most teams have 400-900 page playbooks. Zorn and Shanahan have playbooks that thick too. It just has not been empahsized to the press.

Have no fear. Todd Collins will be available to show CC how it's done.

Hail.

haha that is what i was thinking... this doesnt mean that Jason Campbell is the starter.. this just means that Todd Collins can notch an another year being a pro.

i give higher chances of Collins starting than Campbell

Zorn, Cable and now Hue's next on the list.

Jason sure knows how to mow through them........

Yeah, because Zorn was doing a bang up job otherwise.

Hue Jackson actually preferred JC over Gradkowski, which got him in Al's favor. Cable was the other way, and is now out despite 8-8 and undefeated in the division. Raiders were 6-2 with JC, so Cable wasn't his fault.

If you're going to criticize, at least do it with something tangible.

Yeah, because Zorn was doing a bang up job otherwise.

Hue Jackson actually preferred JC over Gradkowski, which got him in Al's favor. Cable was the other way, and is now out despite 8-8 and undefeated in the division. Raiders were 6-2 with JC, so Cable wasn't his fault.

If you're going to criticize, at least do it with something tangible.

On the same note, it was Jackson who was credited with suggesting that they sit Campbell and go with Gradkowski. Course, that could have all been looking for a "spark", which Grad never really seemed to provide.

In any case, it isn't like Cable's situation was all that solid when Campbell got here, so to blame him for being a "coach killer" for either Zorn or Cable is kinda silly.

Did anyone catch the press conference? Al Davis looks like something out of the Walking Dead. He had a huge gash on his head that was bleeding thru the bandage he had on it. It looked like the skin was ready to peel off his face and his hands were deformed into a claw. It was actually uncomfortable to watch.

Careful Hue,, making that team look respectable is a firable offense.

How ironic is it that the Raiders of all teams are worried about a little fooling around.

If anyone wants to read a GREAT book, one of my favorite sports books of all time, read John Madden's first book

"Hey wait a minute, I wrote a book"

it is nothing but reminiscences of those Raider teams, and even though I don't like the Raiders, it's a FUN read. An excellent look int some of the more fun aspects of pro football in the 70s. Great book.

~Bang

Archived