Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FIRST LOOK: Chris Evans In Full Captain America Suit

TK

Which to me is kind of stupid since the movie appears that it will be set predominantly in the 1940s. In my opinion they should have made at least one more Capt. America movie so there won't be a nearly 70 year jump from one movie to another. A Shield movie would not surprise me since they are making a fortune off of these movies as it is.

I felt that the Fantastic Four movies should have been set in the '60s. I just think they would have worked a lot better that way.

I felt that the Fantastic Four movies should have been set in the '60s. I just think they would have worked a lot better that way.

I would probably agree with that.

They treated the Fantastic Four members and Dr. Doom as somewhat campy figures, but placed it in current times. I thought the films were pretty flimsy to begin with, but there was definitely a sort of disconnect between the tone they were going for with the characters and the stories they were trying to tell.

Which makes less sense when you consider that they wanted the Fantastic Four films to be more of the "family friendly" franchise.

I would probably agree with that.

They treated the Fantastic Four members and Dr. Doom as somewhat campy figures, but placed it in current times. I thought the films were pretty flimsy to begin with, but there was definitely a sort of disconnect between the tone they were going for with the characters and the stories they were trying to tell.

Which makes less sense when you consider that they wanted the Fantastic Four films to be more of the "family friendly" franchise.

I thought they blew the Fantastic Four. It was like they were embarrassed that the characters had powers or were super heroes. The FF were the quintesential "family" or "team" of the fifties or sixties. You have to embrace that to make it work. Reed has to be noble, genius, and scatter brained. Johnny has to be hot headed, eager to prove himself, and immature. Ben has to be a rock and yet burdened and depressed and Sue needs to be the glue. More, they need to be exploring, saving, and kicking butt. Frankly, they need to be Fantastic.

The movies were okay... although I really hated the way they reinvented Dr. Doom. Doom was lame and he wasn't Reed's equal. I think you need that cold war stuff. I think the race to outer space only to get socked by cosmic rays is important. Maybe the FF of today could have been in a race to find the Negative Zone and thus hit an unexpected source of groovy life changing radiation.

I thought this was one of those cases where the comics esp. the ones from the early 60's got it right and the movies got it wrong. Mostly though, if you're going to do a super hero movie don't be afraid to make your characters super.

Edit: That and the casting sucked. How hard is it to find a beautiful blonde in California? Jessica Alba was not Sue Storm and didn't have the chops to pull off a really easy character to play. Likewise, the Torch and Dr. Doom were pathetic. I mean Doom didn't even have an accent! He was some kind of Lex Luthor wannabe. Argh!

(Sorry guys, but I actually always really liked the dynamic of the FF from the Lee/Kirby stories through the John Byrne stuff.)

Well, in the Fantastic Four Sue is clearly the most powerful, in fact she's one of the most powerful characters in the whole of Marvel.

I always used to get a kick out of the 60s FF because she was always so helpless.. always fainting, always needing to be rescued, always bowing to the male characters wishes, many times with the reasoning that "what do I know, I'm just a silly ol' female", while the others were "men of action". Sometimes it's as if Stan Lee wrote her as if sher vacuuming and shopping powers were the most important.

For example,

4-1.jpg

Sure, he'll become invincible, but even he has to breathe, which he can't do with an invisible force field encasing his head. She can do this with the merest thought, but no, he sweeps her right up and she screams and waits for the men to come rescue her.

Women characters in a lot of those early books are hilariously clichéd. In the early Avengers, Wasp is nothing if not horny for pretty much everyone but the Hulk. I think if there were no comics code, she'd have banged every Avenger twice before issue five. All she ever notices are "broad shoulders and blue eyes".

I collect the old Marvel Masterworks hardbacks of the early issues .. good stuff. the early Marvel stuff are such clichés for their times in so many ways.. in th early FF The thing and Reed Richards HATE each other. Ben bl.ames Reed for his being the Thing, and he's also in love with Sue... There's a LOT of issues in which the FF go off on some adventure because after Ben and reed fight about it, Sue pleads with him by saying something to the effect of, "Please Ben! You wouldn't want the commies to beat us to it!"

~Bang

I agree and it was that kind of hokieness, plus dysfunction, plus ultimate nobility/heroism which made the books appeal to me. They were a disaster and yet they were family but despite themselves were compelled to be heroic. I haven't read them in years, but I read a ton of them. And the fact that they were awkward and ill fitting and yet super appealed. And yes, they were very much creatures of their times. Archetypes or stereotypes all. But it was great! In fact, it was fantastic. Because it was unapologetic.

Yup! I love it. Still read it. That's why I collect those volumes of the older books.. they're nice collectors pieces and you can read them over and over.

The thing I liked the most about the FF was that they were explorers.. they went to the wildest dimensions and had the most complex stories,, you think Kirby and Lee ever did the LSD while up in the ol' bullpen?

I certainly do :ols:

~Bang

Yup! I love it. Still read it. That's why I collect those volumes of the older books.. they're nice collectors pieces and you can read them over and over.

The thing I liked the most about the FF was that they were explorers.. they went to the wildest dimensions and had the most complex stories,, you think Kirby and Lee ever did the LSD while up in the ol' bullpen?

I certainly do :ols:

~Bang

You are really taking me back, Bang. I was a Marvel "true believer" up until about 19-20 yrs old and slowly faded from comicdom over the ensuing years. I am absolutely loving these movies. Even when they don't hit the mark (Hulk) I still love seeing the effort to bring it all to life. FF: The Rise of the Silver Surfer was special for me because Ol' Norrin Radd (sp?) was my personal fave. I even enjoyed Daredevil and that's truly revealing what a sucker for Marvel I am.

(Namor also.)

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 08:36 PM ----------

Speaking of Sub-Mariner, I wonder if he'll turn up in the Avengers movie. That would be the sauce of the awesome.

I'll just toss this in here.

First official trailer for X-Men First Class went online today:

Just watched that & before I did, I wondered why even do this film. Then I saw the Blackbird & now I'm hooked. :)

• 4 months later...

Yeah, I don't get that either. It makes sense to start Cap in WWII and then just let him hibernate in the ice a few decades longer. Do we really need to change it so we won't offend Nazis? Although I supect it has something to do with one of those extreme re-envisionings.

You put nazi paraphernalia on a character and you're asking for trouble. It's a safe move by the directors, even though I don't agree with it.

I don't know. Are there really that many who would be upset at depicting Nazis as the bad guys?

Archived