http://marvel.com/news/story/15001/first_look_chris_evans_in_full_cap_suit

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

Higher res pics at the link.

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 02:13 PM ----------

I like the shield.

Hate the helmet.

The suit looks baggy.

That said, it's a time piece set during WWII so I get the whole helmet thing.

Hopefully it gets upgraded to something a bit sleeker looking was Cap thaws out in Modern Day.

The suit looks baggy.

Hopefully it gets upgraded to something a bit sleeker looking was Cap thaws out in Modern Day.

You hoping to see the frank and beans? :ols:

I do agree with Spartacus... this movie is going to be either really great or really bad. Can't wait for the trailer!

Shield should be a little bigger.

Like how they made the suit look more like work clothes than spandex.

I know the star on the chest is true to the original uniform, but you would think any semi-realistic war-time superhero costume wouldn't have a bullseye on their center-of-mass. (Yeah I know batman, supes, nearly everybody does.)

I know the star on the chest is true to the original uniform, but you would think any semi-realistic war-time superhero costume wouldn't have a bullseye on their center-of-mass. (Yeah I know batman, supes, nearly everybody does.)

Had a friend once describe, to me, a scene from a Batman comic. He's in the batcave, stripping himself out of the suit.

"You know, a lot of people wonder why it is that I get myself all dressed up in this huge, complicated, ninja suit. All decked out in black and charcoal and dark grey, and then I put a big, yellow, circle right in the middle of my chest."

As he peels himself out of the suit, you can see 6-7 bullet holes in the outer layer.)

"It's because you can't armor your face."

Had a friend once describe, to me, a scene from a Batman comic. He's in the batcave, stripping himself out of the suit.

"You know, a lot of people wonder why it is that I get myself all dressed up in this huge, complicated, ninja suit. All decked out in black and charcoal and dark grey, and then I put a big, yellow, circle right in the middle of my chest."

As he peels himself out of the suit, you can see 6-7 bullet holes in the outer layer.)

"It's because you can't armor your face."

One of the Frank Miller comics. You just reminded me of that. I think Batman said it in his internal monologue while being shot at.

I would like a bigger shield and a cleaner uniform. The helmet I can deal with. Maybe it's the purist in me (which is funny because I don't read comics), but I'm scared this is a "grittier" Captain American than in the past. Captain America seems like one of those superheroes that just needs to be cleaner and less gritty. But like I said, I'm not a comic book person, so I could be way off with that assessment.

One of the Frank Miller comics. You just reminded me of that. I think Batman said it in his internal monologue while being shot at.

Correct. In Dark Knight Returns when Batman is older and going after Two-Face on the roofop of a skyscraper he gets hit right in the yellow symbol on his chest while trying to walk across a rope to the other building. "Magnum load, has to be... hits me like a freight train.. the plate holds. why do you think I wear a target on my chest-- can't armor my head." I own the book so I looked it up to make sure.

It is strange that they cast Chris Evans for this role since he has already played one Marvel Comics superhero.

clearly his groundbreaking and award-winning performance in both terrible FF movies, and his stellar performances as the same cliche character in most of his other work, merited him the role.

seriously, I will bet a small amount of money this movie winds up sucking as bad as Thor is going to, but in this case there will be a good portion of people trying to say it's actually good just because Cap't Arica was their favorite as a kid. I heard the same type of excuse making with Spiderman.

Nolan and Favreu got it right: hire a good actor as your lead and keep things and avoid being cartoonish and over-the-top. That's why the newer Hulk movie is infinitely better than the previous one.

clearly his groundbreaking and award-winning performance in both terrible FF movies, and his stellar performances as the same cliche character in most of his other work, merited him the role.

seriously, I will bet a small amount of money this movie winds up sucking as bad as Thor is going to, but in this case there will be a good portion of people trying to say it's actually good just because Cap't Arica was their favorite as a kid. I heard the same type of excuse making with Spiderman.

Nolan and Favreu got it right: hire a good actor as your lead and keep things and avoid being cartoonish and over-the-top. That's why the newer Hulk movie is infinitely better than the previous one.

Spiderman 2 was way better than the newer Hulk movie. IMO, anyway. I'm a huge Ed Norton fan, but Spiderman 2 was just better.

Costume is meh. Not a big fan of the helmet but it seems historically accurate. I expect this and Thor and Green Lantern to SUCK

Spiderman 2 was way better than the newer Hulk movie. IMO, anyway.

Not a big fan of the helmet but it seems historically accurate. I expect both this and Thor (and Green Lantern, for that matter) to SUCK

Fair enough on Spiderman. I was a huge Spiderman fan growing up, so only something akin to the level that Nolan took Batman to will satsify me in a Spiderman movie, hence I disliked all 3. But to each his own, I can admit that Spidey 1 and 2 haven't been as bad as most of the other superhero movies, though spidey 3 was epic bad.

Agreed Green Lantern is going to blow huge chunks along with Thor and likely this one also. I think Reynolds and Evans are interchageable, they both play the same cliched character, and directors who put them in their movies are looking to, IMO, just sell the movie based on the actor, rather than on the movie itself.

I actually wouldn't have been upset at all if they somehow redesigned, and/or changed the color of the uniform just for the movie ( like in X-Men) to make it look more suitable for that era, and gave the Comic book version a cameo appearance somehow.

He could've had am American Flag insignia on the uniform somewhere (without the star in the center) and keep the shield the same.

I know it's out there, but it was just a thought.

I'm going to give Captain America and Thor the benefit of the doubt. So far, Marvel Studios has done a great job with their independent productions. I hope this keeps up throughout their whole Avengers run.

Fair enough on Spiderman. I was a huge Spiderman fan growing up, so only something akin to the level that Nolan took Batman to will satsify me in a Spiderman movie, hence I disliked all 3. But to each his own, I can admit that Spidey 1 and 2 haven't been as bad as most of the other superhero movies, though spidey 3 was epic bad.

Obviously spiderman 3 was awful. 1 was pretty meh. But 2 I really thought they nailed. More money for better special effects, the guy that played doc ock was good, and overall I thought they did a solid job or bringing the right emotional feel to it.

It's no Batman, but that's an awfully high standard for other superhero movies to meet.

Obviously spiderman 3 was awful. 1 was pretty meh. But 2 I really thought they nailed. More money for better special effects, the guy that played doc ock was good, and overall I thought they did a solid job or bringing the right emotional feel to it.

It's no Batman, but that's an awfully high standard for other superhero movies to meet.

fwiw, I do think Spidey 2 is easily the best of the 3, I just overalll did not like it, I didn't hate the 2nd one though either. Doc Oc was good in that movie, I liked his role.

IMO they should've made Venom the entire movie, instead of the weak 15 minutes of fame that he received. As a big fan of the Venom/Carnage symbiote episodes, I was very disappointed.

I'm going to give Captain America and Thor the benefit of the doubt. So far, Marvel Studios has done a great job with their independent productions. I hope this keeps up throughout their whole Avengers run.

I want all of them to do well, I just don't think it's going to happen. I'm hard pressed to think of any superhero movies that took a previously crappy actor and got a good performance out of him and overall a good movie.

Captain America I will hold out hopes until the trailer, but Thor already looks awful from the trailer IMO.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2011 at 06:06 PM ----------

IMO they should've made Venom the entire movie, instead of the weak 15 minutes of fame that he received. As a big fan of the Venom/Carnage symbiote episodes, I was very disappointed.

They needed an actor who could play a bad-ass for Venom, not scrawny Eric Foreman.

Venom is one of the most popular Spidey villains, and they absolutely butchered it. Any movie that butchers a character so badly is destined to reach new levels of suckitude. Case in point Batman and Robin and the butchering of Bane.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived