Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone know Kiper or Mcshay's (or some pro scouts, or at least someone with some type of a decent reputation) top 5 QB's?

redskins4ever28

It doesnt even have to be kiper or Mcshay, I have just been looking for an updated list on the top 5 college QBs that are declaring for the NFL draft this year and what the analyst/scouts are ranking them as. I know most of you want to trade down and thats totally cool, but I really wouldnt mind getting Gabbert or Locker. Theres like 3 or 4 teams in the top 10 that need a QB so I was trying to see our chances of Locker dropping to us but cant find reliable sources on the top QBs in the draft. Any info would be great, thanks.

Its Gabbert, Mallet, Newton, Locker as the big 4, in that order, on pretty much all the "experts'" boards. I imagine Gabbert will hold steady at 1, but depending on the outcome of tonight's game, Newton could move to #2 or #4. Most people have those 4 QBs with a first round grade (some have them with a 2nd round grade). If Newton kills it tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to have some team get horny for him and take him as the first QB (may even be us).

Not sure who #5 is but they are lightyears away from the Big 4.

Not sure how they have them but as someone who's been scouting this year heavily I have it as this

1. Gabbert

2. Newton

3. Locker

4. Devlin

5. Mallett

I'm personally not a fan of Mallett mainly with this elongated release, his footwork is very shotty and there are many reports of him having character issues and a poor work ethic.

somebody says this every year.

this is exactly the year we need to try and snag a QB. we have a good draft pick, theres tons of QB talent in this draft, and we have 0 answer at QB at the moment. might as well take a shot, and not risk a top 3 pick on the guy.

I agree, if Gabbert or Lockers available we snag them. So many want to trade down and its totally understandable due to the holes we have. But at the same time, we need a young franchise QB and this could be the perfect time to take him. I loved Locker last year, and though hes had a bad year, hes WR's are awful and so is his OL, I think he would still be an excellent pick. Either way thanks for the info!

I put more stock in Mike Mayock on the NFL network. He has no agenda, no connections to teams or agents. He's usually on the money.

Hap posted an interesting article in Breaking news by Riggo. Called the Grossman effect and why the Redskins won't draft a QB. I tend to think he may be right. But not so much that the Redskins are really that sold on Grossman; or his great relationship with Kyle. I think it's more that since Luck has declined to come out that there's no one in this year's draft that would make anyone believe he would without a doubt be better than Grossman <or> Beck.

I'm starting to feel like many others. If we don't see anyone that really jumps out at us (big time lineman, LB, WR or DB) then I'd trade back for more picks.

trading back is not just as simple as saying "we wanna trade back". there has to be a player that a team covets that is in jeopardy of being taken by a team before them, the value has to be right, etc. every few years some team does this and just stock piles picks (cleveland is the last i can remember and maybe denver) but its not super easy.

and again, last time we did this and snagged 3 2nd rounders, we saw what that got us. in defense, that was vinny making picks, but still.

trading back is not just as simple as saying "we wanna trade back". there has to be a player that a team covets that is in jeopardy of being taken by a team before them, the value has to be right, etc. every few years some team does this and just stock piles picks (cleveland is the last i can remember and maybe denver) but its not super easy.

and again, last time we did this and snagged 3 2nd rounders, we saw what that got us. in defense, that was vinny making picks, but still.

Exactly... that could have been Philip Merling, Desean Jackson, and Justin Tuck just as easily.

I think this is the year to finally get a rookie quarterback, and ****, lets start him from the get go

Agreed. Especially if we can fortify that OL (and hopefully defensive front 7) in FA.

With a line of:

Williams

Joseph

Kalil

Monty/Lich/Cook/BMW/Hicks

Brown

I'd feel perfectly fine starting Gabbert or Locker from the get-go....if they earned it. Because I'd be just as cool starting Grossman until they are truly ready.

I think this is the year to finally get a rookie quarterback, and ****, lets start him from the get go

I would agree if it seemed like a good year to draft said QB.

Personally, I like Gabbert, but I liked him better when he was looking like a late 1st round sleeper. I don't really like him at #10 and I think we would have to trade up from there to get him. Locker is intriguing but too much of a risk, imo. Mallett and Newton I would want no part of.

I would try to take a later round sleeper type QB to develop, see if you can hit paydirt or at least find a long-term #2 QB. I'm thinking Ponder or McElroy. And then I would love to see us stockpile picks for 2012, partly for ammo to get a QB in that class (Luck could be joined by Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Aaron Murray, Nick Foles, Terrelle Pryor, Kellen Moore, Kirk Cousins and Ryan Lindley for a really great draft class).

Rex will be the starter next year. No way we play a rookie from day one and no journeyman we sign is going to come in, learn the offense, and do better than Rex. If you project his three game stats over a season he would have led the NFL in yards and touchdown passes. Course, he'd be near the top for picks too. My point is he'll probably do fine and maybe even surprise some folks as he holds the fort down for a year.

I think Shanny will take a QB in the draft, but I don't think it will necessarily be in the first round. And who knows where the QBs everyone is talking about will get drafted? Clausen was supposed to be a first rounder last year according to many. Some people thought McCoy would go higher. It's all speculation -- especially right now. Jake Locker as a top ten pick is laughable. I mean, I've seen him play a bunch and he can't hit what he's aiming at. That's kind of a problem.

Of all the QBs, hes the one I dont want. 1 year of greatness and everyones on his saddle. I dont like his attitude nor the rumors, and more importantly he reminds me of Jemarcus Russell. Id take anyone but him really.

I'd take Newton over Locker, but he certainly does scare me.

But the Jamarcus comparison is nuts. Totally different kind of players.

Of all the QBs, hes the one I dont want. 1 year of greatness and everyones on his saddle. I dont like his attitude nor the rumors, and more importantly he reminds me of Jemarcus Russell. Id take anyone but him really.

As far as what's being said about attitude, work ethic, maturity, character, etc. Newton doesn't sound good. But Mallett sounds worse.

As far as what's being said about attitude, work ethic, maturity, character, etc. Newton doesn't sound good. But Mallett sounds worse.

So now were knocking Cam for his work ethic and attitude? C'mon man

He made a mistake as a young kid like alot do at Florida. The other stuff by all acounts pay to play was his father not him.

I'd take Newton over Locker, but he certainly does scare me.

But the Jamarcus comparison is nuts. Totally different kind of players.

I really dont understand the Russell to Newton comparison...its really weird and it keeps on coming up. Is it bc they are both black?

I really dont understand the Russell to Newton comparison...its really weird and it keeps on coming up. Is it bc they are both black?

and because they both wear #2 lol

But in all seriousness I would take Newton out of the top qb's. If you look at past qb's who were similar to him in college which are Vince Young, Cullpepper, Steve McNair, and Mike Vick, they all turned out to be good pro quarterbacks. The character concerns come from the mistakes that he made which countless other players have made...but if you listen to him talk you will see that he has that "it" factor. He speaks with class and maturity.

He's a true winner...he led Aurburn to a great season and he led his team last year to a championship. The question is his work ethic. If he has great work ethic and puts the time in to study like the top qb's do then I think he has a chance to be great. He has ALL the physical tools in the world and is a freak of an athlete.

But if we dont go wit him I like Ponder, Devlin, and the Alabama qb in the later rounds. We might find a steal in one of them

No, the # 2 is true, but in my mind its because their both HUGE, 6'6 is Newton I believe, and they both have an absolute cannon for an arm, and their both extremely athletic and can run very fast and make plays with their feet. But they both only really had 1 good year of college, and didnt prove much otherwise, and they both had character issue rumors in college. Its actually a lot of similiarities.

No, the # 2 is true, but in my mind its because their both HUGE, 6'6 is Newton I believe, and they both have an absolute cannon for an arm, and their both extremely athletic and can run very fast and make plays with their feet. But they both only really had 1 good year of college, and didnt prove much otherwise, and they both had character issue rumors in college. Its actually a lot of similiarities.

Russell was big, but not very athletic, even at LSU. He was just a big guy on a good team with a serious cannon for an arm.

Archived