Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone know Kiper or Mcshay's (or some pro scouts, or at least someone with some type of a decent reputation) top 5 QB's?

redskins4ever28

Newton should be at the bottom of the list or off of it entirely. If there's an NFL QB hiding somewhere in there, he's hiding it really well. He's a two-read and run QB who stares down his first read and makes very slow decisions. He overthrows wide open receivers and somehow misses maybe the easiest TD pass of the year for him. Why is anyone high on him? Goodness gracious. I'm flabbergasted. He's a great college QB, and that is all.

Edit: He also throws a very flat deep ball and doesn't read defenses well. He doesn't look like anything more than a career backup to me, but maybe it's because he's never been taught anything resembling a pro offense. Maybe he's an unborn genius. There's just no way anyone could think highly of him *based on* his college career.

I say we take a MAJOR gamble and take Newton. Seriously, whats the worst that could happen, we end up with another top 10 pick next year? Either we stay the same another year or we get a significant upgrade at quarterback. OHHH NOOOOO

Is that really your logic?

Rex will be the starter next year. No way we play a rookie from day one and no journeyman we sign is going to come in, learn the offense, and do better than Rex. If you project his three game stats over a season he would have led the NFL in yards and touchdown passes. Course, he'd be near the top for picks too. My point is he'll probably do fine and maybe even surprise some folks as he holds the fort down for a year.

I think Shanny will take a QB in the draft, but I don't think it will necessarily be in the first round. And who knows where the QBs everyone is talking about will get drafted? Clausen was supposed to be a first rounder last year according to many. Some people thought McCoy would go higher. It's all speculation -- especially right now. Jake Locker as a top ten pick is laughable. I mean, I've seen him play a bunch and he can't hit what he's aiming at. That's kind of a problem.

Agree 100%. There's no way Grossman isn't the starter next year while the Shanny's groom the young QB they most likely draft in round two. Why round two? For numerous reasons. One, we need to protect our future signal caller, so we're going to need some top OL talent to do that. I say, trade out of the #10 pick and nab two brand spanking new interior linemen. Preferably Wisniewski and Pouncey. My second reason is based on the ability of the Shanahans to not only see talent in a QB, but to utilize it--McNabb excluded. I see names like Plummer(round two), Griese(round three), and Schaub(round three) and it puts a smile on my face. They'll find our QB.

I say we take a MAJOR gamble and take Newton. Seriously, whats the worst that could happen, we end up with another top 10 pick next year? Either we stay the same another year or we get a significant upgrade at quarterback. OHHH NOOOOO

Or we could draft whatever bluechip defensive player drops thanks to a bunch of teams reaching for overvalued QBs.

How about we end up blowing a top 10 pick.?

I have to say I am normally dead set against picking a QB in the first round . Last year was no exception . The only QB worth picking went No.1. to the rams and I am SO glad we didn't reach for Clausen .

I have thought for a while the Skins would have a good look at Locker . He regressed somwhat last year and will not be a year 1 day 1 starter but has a ton of tallent and intagibles that make a great QB . Unfortunatly he has the poor background and bad football IQ that leads to a likeable bust .

Thing is the draft is a craps shoot . In 2009 Locker at one point could have gone No.1. overall now having taken a year to play more in collage people are writing him off .

There are always stars to be drafted in the top 10 of the draft, I would hate to take a WR in the 1st, CB, I think is not as pressing a need . There are no amazing cannot miss OL prospects that should go in the top 10 and no RBs either. With that said, I think this year it is Locker or bu... i mean the best DL player on the board .

I have to say I am normally dead set against picking a QB in the first round . Last year was no exception . The only QB worth picking went No.1. to the rams and I am SO glad we didn't reach for Clausen .

I have thought for a while the Skins would have a good look at Locker . He regressed somwhat last year and will not be a year 1 day 1 starter but has a ton of tallent and intagibles that make a great QB . Unfortunatly he has the poor background and bad football IQ that leads to a likeable bust .

Thing is the draft is a craps shoot . In 2009 Locker at one point could have gone No.1. overall now having taken a year to play more in collage people are writing him off . .

Kiper on sports reporters recently said Locker could be a late first rounder or maybe even early 2nd.

Agree 100%. There's no way Grossman isn't the starter next year while the Shanny's groom the young QB they most likely draft in round two. Why round two? For numerous reasons. One, we need to protect our future signal caller, so we're going to need some top OL talent to do that. I say, trade out of the #10 pick and nab two brand spanking new interior linemen. Preferably Wisniewski and Pouncey. My second reason is based on the ability of the Shanahans to not only see talent in a QB, but to utilize it--McNabb excluded. I see names like Plummer(round two), Griese(round three), and Schaub(round three) and it puts a smile on my face. They'll find our QB.

Unless you can somehow trade from the #10 spot all the way back into the very late 1st or early 2nd, then thats a waste of a mid round pick. There really aren't any interior OL guys who are rated as even mid 1st rounders generally (and that isn't just this year, it is pretty common). If you want to see a revamped OL for the Skins, check after free agency. I'm guessing they will add 2 high quality young players on the interior there.

Got to be honest and say that I can't quite fathom the love fest going on for Newton. I will admit the JR/Newton comparisons are a bit much, but he certainly appears like a Vick clone IMHO. I'd prefer we avoid Newton like the plague. :ack: The truth is, Newton is a huge risk at this point, I'm afraid. Yeah, he did help Auburn reach a championship, but let's not act like that team wasn't talented and he carried them there. We've seen too many times QBs like this come into the league and bomb. I'll trust in Shanny on this, but I really don't think that Newton is on his list. :point2sky

I really dont understand the Russell to Newton comparison...its really weird and it keeps on coming up. Is it bc they are both black?

absouletly ... Czaben makes this point all the time and its true. If you are comparing wes welker to someone you don't say steve smith, you say kevin curtis.

If you are talking about Heath Miller you compare him to Owen Daniels, not Bo Scaife or Vishanthe Scianco. its just human nature ...

You could easily compare Cam to Big Ben, as far as college comparisons go, or maybe even a big, college spread offense passer like Flacco or Tebow ...but noooooo, it has to be Jamarcus ...

hey I do it to ...

Unless you can somehow trade from the #10 spot all the way back into the very late 1st or early 2nd, then thats a waste of a mid round pick. There really aren't any interior OL guys who are rated as even mid 1st rounders generally (and that isn't just this year, it is pretty common). If you want to see a revamped OL for the Skins, check after free agency. I'm guessing they will add 2 high quality young players on the interior there.

You can keep trading back until you're in the preferable spot. Denver did it numerous times last draft--they started out with the #11 overall pick, and ended up with #22 and #25 overall by trading back twice. But you are correct about waiting after free agency. I'm more or less speaking as if the draft were to happen tomorrow.

I still think it's a good idea even if we land a OL or two in FA. We also need good depth and competition at those spots.

No, the # 2 is true, but in my mind its because their both HUGE, 6'6 is Newton I believe, and they both have an absolute cannon for an arm, and their both extremely athletic and can run very fast and make plays with their feet. But they both only really had 1 good year of college, and didnt prove much otherwise, and they both had character issue rumors in college. Its actually a lot of similiarities.

Russell was certainly NOT nimble. He was big and slow, and only made plays with his feet because he was strong....

I think the consensus is that the top QBs (in no particular order) are:

Gabbert

Mallett

Newton

Locker

Devlin

Just from watching the bowl games though, I've been the most impressed with Mallett (and of course Luck who isn't declaring). I trust the coaches to make the right decision and I really do think we'll be drafting a rookie QB early this year.

Archived