Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk About The Atlanta Falcons

CrypticVillain

Second to Brady? I think that Ben Roethlisberger (and probably Peyton Manning) would beg to differ.

Maybe Roethlisberger, but Peyton - as of late anyway - hasn't been his normal "come through in the clutch" self. Ever since the Saints' secondary called him and the Colts' offense out for being mega-predictable, I haven't seen too much from him.

;8063980']They are who they are because of their coach. Playing sound football with low penalties and turnovers being rare for them is how they win. If the Giants played like the Falcons' date=' they would have 11 or 12 wins right now. I admire the type of football the Falcons play. It is one of the reasons I nominated Smith for coach of the year in the other thread.[/quote']

It's like a Joe Gibbs Redskins team, nobody thinks they can win but they win and end up in some Super Bowls, in which they win as well, handily in fact. Can't complain at all.

Second to Brady? I think that Ben (and probably Peyton Manning) would beg to differ.

:ols: Roethlisberger? The guy that won a Superbowl with a record setting piss poor performance? Thanks refs!

Dude is one of the most overrated players in the NFL today. Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Ryan, Schaub, etc. are all better. It's not even debatable.

:ols: Roethlisberger? The guy that won a Superbowl with a record setting piss poor performance? Thanks refs!

Dude is one of the most overrated players in the NFL today. Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Ryan, Schaub, etc. are all better. It's not even debatable.

I was talking about clutch plays. Ben has more comebacks than any active qb not named Brady or Manning. That is a fact, not an opinion.

Saying that Schaub and Ryan and better than Big Jen is laughable.

In 4th quarter situations, I think Roethlisberger would be third. Brady and Ryan have been better this year when the game is on the line. Flacco has shown flashes as well but is just too inconsistent overall.

If Roethlisberger would have beaten the Jets last week, I think I might have put him ahead of Ryan.

EDIT: I'm talking entirely about this year. Roethlisberger has been playing well lately, but Ryan's been money pretty much all year.

It doesn't matter who the NFC sends, Patriots are winning another superbowl this year. That said, the nfc championship game appears to be a Falcons-Eagles matchup-- which should be a great game.

You know, I remember people on this board saying the same thing about the Patriots a few years ago. They were 18-0 and unstoppable. The Giants had no chance against them. What happened in that Super Bowl again?

That said, NEITHER team has made it to the Show yet. The Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl without the aid of video cameras and TBH, I don't even think they'll make it to the Super Bowl. As good as their offense is, they still have a very young defense that has looked good over the second half of the season, but they do have hiccups at time. What happens when they don't have water to get rid of them?

I wish people would stop using the "Matty Ice" nickname.

It might be the worst nickname for a pro athlete today.

I agree!!

And i dont think they are that good. Think they will lose their first playoff game.

---------- Post added December-27th-2010 at 03:31 PM ----------

You know, I remember people on this board saying the same thing about the Patriots a few years ago. They were 18-0 and unstoppable. The Giants had no chance against them. What happened in that Super Bowl again?

That said, NEITHER team has made it to the Show yet. The Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl without the aid of video cameras and TBH, I don't even think they'll make it to the Super Bowl. As good as their offense is, they still have a very young defense that has looked good over the second half of the season, but they do have hiccups at time. What happens when they don't have water to get rid of them?

I cant see them losing at home. Especially the way the O moves the ball in bad weather.

I cant see them losing at home. Especially the way the O moves the ball in bad weather.

Yes, there offensive has been playing lights out recently. However, even with that, if a team like let's say Baltimore plays them and their defense plays like they can, it can cause some serious problems on Brady. No team is invincible. All I'm saying about this is, don't say that they'll make it like it's a forgone conclusion.

I agree!!

And i dont think they are that good. Think they will lose their first playoff game.

I think the Falcons are in the second tier of teams (you know, the good teams that aren't from New England), however I think they'll win any and all home playoff games. If they have to go to say, Philly in January, all bets are off.

Yes, there offensive has been playing lights out recently. However, even with that, if a team like let's say Baltimore plays them and their defense plays like they can, it can cause some serious problems on Brady. No team is invincible. All I'm saying about this is, don't say that they'll make it like it's a forgone conclusion.

Baltimore always plays them tight, but not usually tight enough.

It doesn't matter who the NFC sends, Patriots are winning another superbowl this year. That said, the nfc championship game appears to be a Falcons-Eagles matchup-- which should be a great game.

I'm pretty sure their 2007 team was much much more likely to be guaranteed winning the SB. The fact is the Pats in the SB is almost guaranteed to be a close game that can go either way. It's been that way in every single one of their SB's.

Pats barely snook out with a win against a Rodgersless Packers team playing with a QB who had never started an NFL game and not really seen any extended NFL action. Hardly solidifies them as guaranteed Lombardi winners.

Does anybody else have any more thoughts/comments about the falcons?

I think their sum is greater then their parts.

I think they have an outstanding offense lead by a Mike Mularkey, a very underrated OC (former HC that stepped down in Buffalo).

They're old school smash-mouth with lots of multiple offensive sets.

They use their power running game to dictate coverage and then use the play-action passing to get big chunk yardage gains.

They're very successful in attacking coverages b/c they use the run and personell to dictate coverages and match-ups.

It helps having 3 elite players at the skill positions WR, TE and RB and Mularkey does a great job in designing an offense around them that Matt Ryan can execute at a high level.

I think their sum is greater then their parts.

I think they have an outstanding offense lead by a Mike Mularkey, a very underrated OC (former HC that stepped down in Buffalo).

They're old school smash-mouth with lots of multiple offensive sets.

They use their power running game to dictate coverage and then use the play-action passing to get big chunk yardage gains.

They're very successful in attacking coverages b/c they use the run and personell to dictate coverages and match-ups.

It helps having 3 elite players at the skill positions WR, TE and RB and Mularkey does a great job in designing an offense around them that Matt Ryan can execute at a high level.

This.

They're a great TEAM and they have a marvelous up and coming quarterback in Matt Ryan. I'm really looking forward to watching Ryan continue to mature and I hope we don't have the Falcons on our schedule too often in the next few years.

Archived