Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSAtlanta: Man Turns Down NFL For Job On Railroad

adam@section118

I heard this story Monday on the news, and it has really taken off. Definitly makes you wonder how you would respond to this very situation (I did just hear him interviewed and he said he only had 30 minutes to make a decision and that after he turned it down he found out the railroad would have given him a 7 day leave of absense)

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/26071948/detail.html

CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga. -- Jets or trains? That's the decision a man in Clayton County had to make. Former NFL player Keith Fitzhugh received a call from the league to play again. The free agent picked the railroad over the New York Jets.

Growing up, Fitzhugh had two dreams.

“Playing football and riding on trains,” said Fitzhugh.

The Mississippi State grad accomplished the first, being picked up by the New York Jets in 2009. He was later dropped by the team twice, and after a stint with the Baltimore Ravens, he was released in May.

“That was some of the toughest times I've ever been through because the only thing I had known was football, but I had my family on my side,” said Fitzhugh.

Prior to Tuesday's surprise call from the Jets, Fitzhugh thought his days on the gridiron were over. He has a steady job working for Norfolk Southern.

“Man, I was like, my heart started racing. I started sweating, but I knew it was decision time. I had to either play a guessing game, or a what if game, or did I want to have something stable,” said Fitzhugh.

He said the ups and downs of the past helped lead him to his decision.

Reporter Jennifer Mayerle said, “People might say, ‘He's turning down the NFL?’”

“Yeah, yeah they'll say that. They’re on the outside looking in. I've been on the inside. I know what it's like to be on an NFL team. I know what NFL players go through and it's not as easy as people think,” said Fitzhugh.

Fitzhugh said he had to think long-term, not short-term. Not even for a team with a chance at the Super Bowl. Right now, he said it's more important to help support his family.

“You only got one mom, one dad and I got to do what's best for me," said Fitzhugh.

It's a decision Jets head coach Rex Ryan said he admires.

“He's a guy with a lot of character. He's just a really outstanding young man,” said Ryan.

There's a guy in one of my classes that was on the Bears TC roster and so he's got several friends still on the team or on other teams. He was saying several of the players drop out of football after a year or so because you can't live off of a PS salary and there isn't any pay in the offseason for those guys that are borderline.

He said, financially, if you're not going to make the 53 man roster, it actually makes more sense to go get a job.

There's a guy in one of my classes that was on the Bears TC roster and so he's got several friends still on the team or on other teams. He was saying several of the players drop out of football after a year or so because you can't live off of a PS salary and there isn't any pay in the offseason for those guys that are borderline.

He said, financially, if you're not going to make the 53 man roster, it actually makes more sense to go get a job.

I find that hard to believe. How much are the practice squad guys making? If it's over $30,000 I think they'd be okay.

I find that hard to believe. How much are the practice squad guys making? If it's over $30,000 I think they'd be okay.

It looks like they make about $5K per week. So, assuming they stick all season, that's $85K per year. The only difference is it's over about a third of a year so they'd have to budget their money better than someone getting a pay check every two weeks.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_practice_squad_players_make_in_the_NFL

you people trashing this guy are very ignorant. there is no guarantee he would last more than a week on the practice squad, and if he didn't, he would lose the GUARANTEED job he already has. think about it. it's not that difficult of a concept. he has a family so he didn't want to gamble with them.

you people trashing this guy are very ignorant. there is no guarantee he would last more than a week on the practice squad, and if he didn't, he would lose the GUARANTEED job he already has. think about it. it's not that difficult of a concept. he has a family so he didn't want to gamble with them.

Yea I'm not trying to trash him. It's something really respectable that I probably don't have the willpower to do. Just sayin, money's pretty damn important, hehe. As for his guaranteed job, I guess so... but my boss would totally understand if I told him I had a shot in the NFL ;)

Well, he would have been added to New York's active roster (according to Mike and Mike), so I would assume there is some guaranteed money involved with that (even if for a week).

Well, he would have been added to New York's active roster (according to Mike and Mike), so I would assume there is some guaranteed money involved with that (even if for a week).

well we have conflicting info b/c i heard after this story broke it was only for a practice squad spot. but if you're right, i assume just a weeks pay on active roster would let him make more than he would in a year of train conducting so it would probably be a good call.

I understand, but most practice squad guys get changed in and out, so they don't end up spending more than 5 or 6 weeks on a PS, and in the offseason there's no income, so when a lot of these guys are living in or around the cities they play in, that's not very much when you may not get another chance after getting cut 6 weeks into the season.

Think about trying to live near DC on $30k per year (assuming he spends about 6 weeks on a PS and the rest on the "off-season" roster with no pay).

On the other hand, a guy can say no to the part time PS job and go through medical school and become a doctor without destroying his body, and end up making more in the end.

I understand, but most practice squad guys get changed in and out, so they don't end up spending more than 5 or 6 weeks on a PS, and in the offseason there's no income, so when a lot of these guys are living in or around the cities they play in, that's not very much when you may not get another chance after getting cut 6 weeks into the season.

Think about trying to live near DC on $30k per year (assuming he spends about 6 weeks on a PS and the rest on the "off-season" roster with no pay).

On the other hand, a guy can say no to the part time PS job and go through medical school and become a doctor without destroying his body, and end up making more in the end.

So I'm supposed to feel bad for guys who, in three weeks of "work" get paid more than I do in a year working three jobs with a degree?

And PS: I'm not knocking John Henry... I'm saying in general, I have no sympathy for guys that are getting the chance to play in the NFL and are making more money in a few weeks than I do in a year.

Id put this kid on my 53 man roster immediately, regardless of his talent level.......with his attitude im sure he would be a great special teams guy.....hed also be an example to the selfish jerks weve become accustomed to in this league, i hope he gets another shot in the future.....great story

So I'm supposed to feel bad for guys who, in three weeks of "work" get paid more than I do in a year working three jobs with a degree?

And PS: I'm not knocking John Henry... I'm saying in general, I have no sympathy for guys that are getting the chance to play in the NFL and are making more money in a few weeks than I do in a year.

But that's all short term money....it sounds like he has a potential career with this job. Even if he were to make more money playing football this year, there's no long-term stability in a career as a practice squad player.

But that's all short term money....it sounds like he has a potential career with this job. Even if he were to make more money playing football this year, there's no long-term stability in a career as a practice squad player.

Again, my view isn't about him. It's about the claim earlier that practice squad players don't make much money in general.

I can't say this enough times. I can't understand why people aren't reading that...

Archived