Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSAtlanta: Man Turns Down NFL For Job On Railroad

adam@section118

I cannot blame him. He loves the job he has now. The practice squad would have been good, quick money, but you have to come to a point when you realize you're chasing a dream that will likely never pan out. When you're married and have kids(don't know if he did) having stability is more important than a dream. I knew one guy who toiled around in one of the lower level arena leagues for 4-5 years even after he jumped from one temp job after another for a few years after college. He's now 34 and finally found stability in the last 2-3 years.

---------- Post added December-10th-2010 at 08:53 AM ----------

Practice squad spot but those New Jersey taxes are no joke.

true. Even if he just works for 3-4 weeks and only makes $15-20k he'll be taxed based on $5k/wk. The guy made a logical choice for him and if he loves what he's doing then great. I'm guessing he must have an engineering degree and making pretty good money doing what he loves.

The other funny aspect to the story is that, had he looked into it, he could have gotten a week off from his job to go to the Jets. Also, I'm curious how much he makes as a conductor...

I do not know how much vacation he had, but he found out after the fact the company would have given him time off. I think I said I heard he was told this after the fact the local media picked up on the story (not surprising)

Not sure if the article mentions it, but the Jets told his agent he had 30 minutes to decide.

If what you want really bad you will go for it. This guy chose the train life over the NFL life. I left my IT Manager (with a very nice pay and benefits) job to start my own business. Two years later that was the best thing I ever did. It was tough in the beginning but with a lot of hard work it is finally paying off. Try to live off of 2K a month with a wife 3 kids and a mortgage. It is all about self-determination and how bad to you want it. There is no guarantee in his regular job that he won't be fired tomorrow either.

If what you want really bad you will go for it. This guy chose the train life over the NFL life. I left my IT Manager (with a very nice pay and benefits) job to start my own business. Two years later that was the best thing I ever did. It was tough in the beginning but with a lot of hard work it is finally paying off. Try to live off of 2K a month with a wife 3 kids and a mortgage. It is all about self-determination and how bad to you want it. There is no guarantee in his regular job that he won't be fired tomorrow either.

All that and only 12 years old...amazing. You are like a modern-day Frank Grimes.

It is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Yes, it worked out for you. I know someone who was a millionaire who started his own business (twice) and lost everything (twice)

I am all for chasing dreams. I also was a fine arts major, so I know people who make that sacrifice often (and I also know people who have given up on it and just said "It was not meant to be")

I agree with you, though. You should be willing to chase a dream, but sometimes you have to be real and say "Is it time for me to give up on the dream and go for the [reliable] realistic goal.

Archived