Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Albums of 2010?

Going Commando

The Black Keys - Brothers

Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

By far, my favorite album of the year was Have One on Me. I listened to it for about three months straight. The rest of those albums are basically all I've listened to over the course of the entire year.

1) My roommate would be THRILLED to see what you have to say about Joanna Newsom. He's crazy about her. The problem is he only knows one other person that likes her music. I see the soul behind her music, and she seems very talented, but she just sounds too much like a goat for my taste. I'll let him know I encountered a fan here on ES.

2) Brothers was a pretty great album. It sounded kind of different from other Black Keys stuff I've heard, but in a good way. I love the song "Tighten Up".

I think most people know or can tell I am a hip hop head. All the good hip hop is in the underground in my opinion, there may be a few good mainstream albums a year that have any true quality to them. I recommend these following albums for anyone who has any interest in hearing some really good hip hop.

Apollo Brown- The Reset

Blacastan- Blac Sabbath

LMNO & Kev Brown(from Landover, MD)- Selective Hearing Part 2

Strong Arm Steady & Madlib- In Search of Stoney Jackson

The Left- Gas Mask

Roc Marciano- Marcberg

There are others but I will leave it at that.

You and I would get along very well. I fully support this list.

Honorable Mentions:

Celph Titled & Buckwild - Nineteen Ninety Now

Dj Muggs vs Ill Bill - Kill Devil Hills

1) My roommate would be THRILLED to see what you have to say about Joanna Newsom. He's crazy about her. The problem is he only knows one other person that likes her music. I see the soul behind her music, and she seems very talented, but she just sounds too much like a goat for my taste. I'll let him know I encountered a fan here on ES.

I really like Ys but it was also kind of a chore to work through. Have One On Me wasn't at all. It was just incredible. It's like two hours of dense dense music but it never feels like it. It's tuneful, soulful, gorgeous, expansive even though it's structurally simple and coherent.

Her vocal style in Ys was tough to take. She's a much better singer by Have One on Me. Still, it can take a while to digest her style. Thankfully she has enough subtlety to her voice to keep from killing you while you get used to her. And the music and lyrics are still top notch to provide the main draw. Listening to Go Long and Does Not Suffice gives me chills. The latter is the best, most poignant song about the end of a relationship that I've ever heard.

Yeah I'm pretty much in love with her too. For one thing she's gorgeous. For another, she's an extremely gifted songwriter and musician and talent is very attractive. I love the classic femininity in her work. Sometimes female artists come off as trying to sound tough, hokey, or sexualized to the point of parody. Ugh, it freaking kills me that she's that clown Andy Samberg's girlfriend.

2) Brothers was a pretty great album. It sounded kind of different from other Black Keys stuff I've heard, but in a good way. I love the song "Tighten Up".

It's tasty. Different for sure. But I can't say that I mind the new direction. I typically like it when bands change as long as the change isn't to become dumbed down and rote.

I thought 2009 was pretty blah. But I'll second that about 2008. That was the year of Vampire Weekend, Microcastle, Shallow Graves, and Fleet Foxes. Nothing better than smoking a wheelbarrow full of weed and listening to those.

I just feel that 2009 had higher highs than 2010. "Reservoir" (Fanfarlo) and "Vapours" (Islands) are flawless albums to me, I listen to them straight through, I can't say that about any 2010 album. KiD CuDi, Coconut Records, and Built To Spill also had albums that are better than anything I had on my 2010 list. After those 5 albums, it goes bad fairly quickly though.

As for 2008, it's perhaps the best year in music history for me, and I'm quite the music buff. Not only did Vampire Weekend and Fleet Foxes have great albums, so did The Airborne Toxic Event, Benji Hughes, Black Kids, Glasvegas, Mason Jennings, The Killers, Melpo Mene, Man Man, Mates of State, and countless others I'm probably forgetting. TERRIFIC YEAR!

I like the kanye West album a lot. I like Big Boi Sirliscius Left Foot too. But honestly Kanye has it beat. From the first song to the last, its a fantastic album. I don't like to hype things up, becasue it leaves people expecting the album to walk on water. My Dark Fantasy is a journey into the mind of an ego maniac that is vunerable to everything we all go through. Its a game changer. Like most classic albums, it will change the game. They change the genre of music. I haven't heard the Roots, or Black Eye Peas, but how can you deny Kanye. "All the lights" is worth the price of the album alone. Kanye's best album thus far was College Drop Out. My Dark Fantasy sounds so new, and hungry. It's like Kanye never sold and album. See that is what an artist is suppose to do. And the music sounds so good. Ad the lyrics are tight. I love the guest apperances, and sequence of music is genius. "....try to drink til the pain over, but whats worst the pain or the hang over".....come on son!

I thought 2009 was pretty blah.

See this is why I hate Metacritic. I thought Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum was a great album.

I thought Bonnie "Prince" Billy's album Beware was very good as well.

Don't live and die by Metacritic. Rolling Stone gives it a 40, a few other publications follow suit, and you get Metacritic-ed.

BTW it works the other way as well. Kanye West's album gets hyped. Does that deserve a 92? No.

I thought that Big Boi album sucked. Electronic synth beats with no soul whatsoever. Big Boi is still charismatic as ever, but those beats were really crappy imo.

Co-sign the Roots album, as well as that Celph Titled/Buckwild album. I am not a big Kanye West fan at all, I think his rapping is horrendous, but I'm intrigued by the new one, particularly because No I.D. and Rza co-produced a few of the songs.

Pretty damn weak year for albums, but next year will be great.

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy

Disturbed - Asylum

James LaBrie - Static Impulse

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned

Periphery - Periphery

Soilwork - The Panic Broadcast

Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra

Solution .45 - For Aeons Past

Sodom - In War And Pieces

Runner-up: Avenged Sevenfold's Nightmare, good Metal album for those who prefer the mainstream Metal acts but I can't take the singer serious enough.

The ABSOLUTE BEST of 2010 were live albums:

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

Opeth - Live At Royal Albert Hall

I don't get the love for Kid Cudi.

---------- Post added December-17th-2010 at 01:25 AM ----------

I thought that Big Boi album sucked. Electronic synth beats with no soul whatsoever. Big Boi is still charismatic as ever, but those beats were really crappy imo.

Co-sign the Roots album, as well as that Celph Titled/Buckwild album. I am not a big Kanye West fan at all, I think his rapping is horrendous, but I'm intrigued by the new one, particularly because No I.D. and Rza co-produced a few of the songs.

Exactly what I felt about Eminem's Recovery. Today's hip hop trends I think hurt him. Granted it wasn't nearly as good as the MM LP or SS LP lyrically but still, Eminem I feel, had to abide by today's pop sounding fake New Wave synth hip hop beats which doesn't suit him.

Wonder why? Maybe because Dre wasn't producing anymore.

Archived