Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Albums of 2010?

Going Commando

Girl Talk is wild but I don't know... I just can't get into it. I've heard everything it gives us a million times already. Not in the way he plays it obviously. But it's just to nichey for my taste. You have to be in a nostalgic mood.

---------- Post added December-9th-2010 at 12:00 PM ----------

The Roots - How I Got Over

How was it? I'm thinking about getting it.

Also, does anyone here like Janelle Monae? I hadn't heard of her until last night so I listened to a few of her songs. She's pretty wild and is an incredible voice talent. I saw a youtube video of one of her songs and she's a 5' tall, 90 pound girl with a pompadour dancing around like a slightly-sedated Michael Jackson. It was awesome.

2010 is almost done. I think it was a fantastic year for music. Here are my favorite ones:

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz

Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

The Black Keys - Brothers

Vampire Weekend - Contra

LCD Sound System - This is Happening

Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

Tallest Man on Earth - Wild Hunt

You must read Rolling stone and Pitchfork obsessively.

You must read Rolling stone and Pitchfork obsessively.

I use metacritic most of the time if I'm looking for reviews and scores. I don't really care for Rolling Stone because it's so kitchy and I don't really like Pitchfork because it's so pretentious and talks more about the scene than the music itself. I do think Pitchfork's ratings are helpful though if I'm on the fence about something. Occasionally they'll give crap ratings to things I love and high ratings to things I can't stand. But for the most part, their ratings are solid and if something in a genre I like hits about the 7.0 mark for them, chances are I'll enjoy it.

I thought this was an easy year to pick out the good stuff as none of those albums I listed were debuts. They were all highly anticipated follow ups from the big names.

It wasn't a terrible year for music, but not as good as last year, and nowhere near as good as 2008.

CEO - White Magic

Weezer - Hurley

Band of Horses - Infinite Arms

Race Horses - Goodbye Falkenburg

The Apples In Stereo - Travelers in Space and Time

Mates of State - Crushes

The Bouncing Souls - Ghosts on the Boardwalk

OK GO - Of the Blue Colour of the Sky

Girl Talk is wild but I don't know... I just can't get into it. I've heard everything it gives us a million times already. Not in the way he plays it obviously. But it's just to nichey for my taste. You have to be in a nostalgic mood.

---------- Post added December-9th-2010 at 12:00 PM ----------

How was it? I'm thinking about getting it.

Also, does anyone here like Janelle Monae? I hadn't heard of her until last night so I listened to a few of her songs. She's pretty wild and is an incredible voice talent. I saw a youtube video of one of her songs and she's a 5' tall, 90 pound girl with a pompadour dancing around like a slightly-sedated Michael Jackson. It was awesome.

i mentioned her on my list

i love her voice. she reminds me of female Cee-Lo Green

Black Keys Brother i think is myh hands down best of the year. That said Vampire weekend was decent and the new Dead Weather album was really solid all that said if somehow Radiohead releases the album they have been threatening before the end of the year i am pretty positive that will take my top spot.

It wasn't a terrible year for music, but not as good as last year, and nowhere near as good as 2008.

I thought 2009 was pretty blah. But I'll second that about 2008. That was the year of Vampire Weekend, Microcastle, Shallow Graves, and Fleet Foxes. Nothing better than smoking a wheelbarrow full of weed and listening to those.

I think Kanye's album was RIDICULOUSLY overhyped. I don't think it was deserving of all of the perfect ratings/scores that it got. I got the album on the day it dropped, and I was expecting a masterpiece. To me, it's not even his best work (LR, CD, and *gasp* Graduation, I felt were better). I'm not finding as much replay value as I did with his other LPs. I'm not syaing it's a bad album, because it's not. I'd give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10....it's a GOOD album, but not great. There are lazy lyrics, forgetable guest appearances, amongst other things that I found flawed. I don't know why it got the praise that it did....

For 2010, my albums of the year (in hip-hop) are How I Got Over and Distant Relatives.

I think Kanye's album was RIDICULOUSLY overhyped. I don't think it was deserving of all of the perfect ratings/scores that it got. I got the album on the day it dropped, and I was expecting a masterpiece. To me, it's not even his best work (LR, CD, and *gasp* Graduation, I felt were better). I'm not finding as much replay value as I did with his other LPs. I'm not syaing it's a bad album, because it's not. I'd give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10....it's a GOOD album, but not great. There are lazy lyrics, forgetable guest appearances, amongst other things that I found flawed. I don't know why it got the praise that it did....

For 2010, my albums of the year (in hip-hop) are How I Got Over and Distant Relatives.

With the sale of records slipping they had to overhype it and hope something stuck. It happens every time a successful artist is releasing something new these days, and it can't hold up to the hype.

---------- Post added December-10th-2010 at 10:33 AM ----------

FYI look at the hype the Black Eyed Peas got and how it flopped.

Archived