Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Donovan McNabb is not the answer.

lockerroom cancer

I'm gonna put together a more organized post on this sometime this week, but here are my thoughts:

Team Mcnabb, it's time to face some reality: it's not his supporting cast.

Santana Moss has been having a good year. And, unlike in past years, when other teams key in on Moss, Armstrong has stepped up in a big way. Armstrong is the best #2 WR we've seen in DC in the past 10 years, and IMO would be getting Pro Bowl consideration if he had a QB that could actually place the ball so that he could run after the catch. There have been so many yards left on the table because of poorly thrown balls. Armstrong and Moss are both deep threats, shifty and elusive short-to-intermediate route runners, and have reliable hands. Props to Mccardell and Armstrong for putting in the work to give us a decent set of receivers.

Then there's the tight ends. Cooley has had a poor year (by his own standards), but still is playing at about an average level. I would imagine Fred Davis is just about the best backup TE in the NFL.

The oline is about average. We haven't got much going on the ground, but we've fallen behind quickly in games as of late. Mcnabb has faced pressure, but probably not much more than any other QB in the league. In almost every game (except the Lions game), there were stretches of the game where Mcnabb has had all day to throw.

Unfortunately, the man just hasn't been getting it done. Now, IMO you can really only blame it on one thing at this point if you're on Team Mcnabb. The only out you have right now is that it's his first year in a new system. Valid. But please don't try to come out here and blame it on anyone but himself. And don't try to act like he's actually playing well, because it's obvious that he's not.

I'm gonna put together a more organized post on this sometime this week, but here are my thoughts:

Team Mcnabb, it's time to face some reality: it's not his supporting cast.

Santana Moss has been having a good year. And, unlike in past years, when other teams key in on Moss, Armstrong has stepped up in a big way. Armstrong is the best #2 WR we've seen in DC in the past 10 years, and IMO would be getting Pro Bowl consideration if he had a QB that could actually place the ball so that he could run after the catch. There have been so many yards left on the table because of poorly thrown balls. Armstrong and Moss are both deep threats, shifty and elusive short-to-intermediate route runners, and have reliable hands. Props to Mccardell and Armstrong for putting in the work to give us a decent set of receivers.

Then there's the tight ends. Cooley has had a poor year (by his own standards), but still is playing at about an average level. I would imagine Fred Davis is just about the best backup TE in the NFL.

The oline is about average. We haven't got much going on the ground, but we've fallen behind quickly in games as of late. Mcnabb has faced pressure, but probably not much more than any other QB in the league. In almost every game (except the Lions game), there were stretches of the game where Mcnabb has had all day to throw.

Unfortunately, the man just hasn't been getting it done. Now, IMO you can really only blame it on one thing at this point if you're on Team Mcnabb. The only out you have right now is that it's his first year in a new system. Valid. But please don't try to come out here and blame it on anyone but himself. And don't try to act like he's actually playing well, because it's obvious that he's not.

Absolute failure of a post with that single sentence.

He certainly wasn't the answer today. No excuses, he flat out had his worst game as a Redskin, Some of his decisions were shocking, and the fumble calamity on the "slide" was the stuff of pure comedy.

Hail.

Agree 100 percent with you.

But it appears that he is getting worse as the year goes on.

He had a ton of opportunities to make plays today and failed.

Maybe McNabb and Peyton Manning have some kind of cosmic fate to intertwin them.

Right now, I wouldnt care if they brought Beck in for the remainder of the season.

Now, now...Donovan had a REALLY bad game today and all...but he's been okay. With everything else being in such a horrible state, it's easy to act like he's been playing that way all year. He hasn't, he's been fine. Sorry he's not 100% accurate, I know it bothers me, too, but that's one hell of a knee-jerk reaction of an article after one bad game. If Mcnabb scrambles outa bounds for that 1st down instead of fumbling, this article doesn't exist. I'm quite sure he'll be here next year.

It's just sadly hilarious to me that McNabb's rating here is about equivalent to Campbell's worst year (and certainly worse than JC's last two years). So basically, we gave up a 2nd a 4th(?) for an older, slower, more expensive, not-as-good-anymore version of J-Cam?!?! This front office should just be banned from any trading whatsoever - they ALWAYS get the worst of it.

---------- Post added December-5th-2010 at 10:15 PM ----------

Now, now...Donovan had a REALLY bad game today and all...but he's been okay. With everything else being in such a horrible state, it's easy to act like he's been playing that way all year. He hasn't, he's been fine. Sorry he's not 100% accurate, I know it bothers me, too, but that's one hell of a knee-jerk reaction of an article after one bad game. If Mcnabb scrambles outa bounds for that 1st down instead of fumbling, this article doesn't exist. I'm quite sure he'll be here next year.

"Fine"!?!? No, even before this game, he wasn't that great. He certainly wasn't clearly better than Campbell, and he's cost us too much in future draft picks for being merely a marginal (if that!) upgrade.

McNabb might still be the answer. At this point, should either Grossman or Beck be starting? McNabb showed what he was capable of in a Redskins uniform when he torched the Houston Texans in week 2. But for the most part, he has struggled. The Redskins have had to pass the ball more than run the ball through 12 games. The Redskin offense also lack a consistent running game. So, there's no complete balance. McNabb has passed over 3,000 yards, something no one has talked about. They say statistics can be misleading sometimes. McNabb is still the best man for the job.

whether the Redskins keep McNabb or not the truth is there is nothing in the cupboard to replace him.

Rex Grossman and John Beck are both 30 year old players who have been discarded by MULTIPLE organizations.

So, the situation at quarterback long-term goes further than simply #5.

With a lockout looming next season, it might be wise just to cut McNabb because if we don't, it'll be TWO seasons before he's back out there (with diminishing skills). Will he really be ready? Unless we want to pay a bunch of money for him to be back-up to a younger player.

I'm sure Kolb and Vick both want to start. Perhaps Vick will remain a starter and we barter for Kolb?

McNabb is still the best man for the job.

No, he's not. At this point, I'd take ANYONE else. Grab someone else's practice squad QB, maybe someone who starred in the UFL - maybe you'll get lucky and get another Kurt Warner. Really, what do you have to lose? This team isn't going to the SB, so you might as well use the last 4 games as a live fire audition for a QB of the future. It's not like McNabb's getting you a SB trophy this year or any year anyway - that's just obvious.

Personally I think the first mistake was trading for McNabb -- an aging 34 year old quarterback. I think Shanny had Elway on the brain. "I can do it with McNabb as well." I know that was his thinking. He said as much himself. Now in hindsight, we could have had a Clausen, McCoy or LeFevour developing this year. At least getting experience. We would still have our third pick. Precisely what Tampa did last year with Freeman and what Cleveland is doing this year with McCoy.

Getting McNabb to me set the wrong tone and only increased our expectations of a win now mode. (Fools Gold -- a consistent theme for the Snyder era) Now in hindsight we have wasted this year -- which is really adding up to two years. Yup, we've lost a year and two draft picks. (Great move for Philly though, an organization that always seems to make "Smart" moves). I doubt we win another game resulting in only one more win from last year when everything is said and done. Zorn ain't looking too bad now. If we lose to Tampa (which is highly probable) we will be total in evaluation mode for next year.

The question for Shanahan will be do you keep playing McNabb the rest of the games or, do you try and see what Beck has after a probable loss to Tampa. How much more evaluation do you need to have with McNabb at such a point. Is Donovan a slam dunk to resign. That is a lot of money to commit to an aging quarterback.

All the teams that picked ahead of us last year committed to youth and their stock is rising. Ours is falling. Rams with Bradford in first place. Kansas City in first place. Detroit, competitive -- beat us. Tampa young and on the up swing with a young quarterback. Probably will beat us. Cleveland on the upswing, McCoy. Even Oakland.

The McNabb signing to me was a bad move symbolically. More of the same. Donovan needs to go to a more ready team then us at this juncture of his career.

Mcnabb is playing behind the worst offensive line that he has ever had, not to mention the worst line in the nfl. He has no receivers that can be game changers or playmakers. I don't know how you can say mcnabb isn't a good fit. I personally like the guy, we need to really shape up these two areas. You can throw tom brady back there and he wouldn't do any better. Lets not throw mcnabb under the bus.

Mcnabb is playing behind the worst offensive line that he has ever had, not to mention the worst line in the nfl. He has no receivers that can be game changers or playmakers. I don't know how you can say mcnabb isn't a good fit. I personally like the guy, we need to really shape up these two areas. You can throw tom brady back there and he wouldn't do any better. Lets not throw mcnabb under the bus.

Those of us that said that about JC were called nuthuggers and apologists. It's interesting to hear the same arguments made for the QB that was supposed to be a huge upgrade. And don't forget this years line has been "upgraded" from last years.

Those of us that said that about JC were called nuthuggers and apologists. It's interesting to hear the same arguments made for the QB that was supposed to be a huge upgrade. And don't forget this years line has been "upgraded" from last years.

Some of us said it last year, and are saying it again this year. As long as we have this **** Oline and **** WR corps, it won't matter who we have under center.

It has? Sure looks like the same swiss cheese formation we had last year.. And dont forget, Jason had what 5 years of suck before he was showed the door?

McNabb needs time to throw and running backs need blockers-the O line is the issue! Wise up people! Mcnabb is better than Campbell-hand down!

What's funny is today, there were plenty of situations where he had time and no one could get open. The entire offense just isn't good right now.

I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but McNabb IS NOT the answer. We should have left him with Philly. I'd rather have Jason here. It wasn't his fault that our O-line sucks. I hope he succeeds in Oakland and I also hope that the Redskins get some youth on the team. How many years are we gonna gp through this?

I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but McNabb IS NOT the answer. We should have left him with Philly. I'd rather have Jason here. It wasn't his fault that our O-line sucks. I hope he succeeds in Oakland and I also hope that the Redskins get some youth on the team. How many years are we gonna gp through this?

Well, fact is the JC ship has sailed.. Got to get over and past that, reguardless of what anyone "thinks".. Next, McNabb probably isnt the whole answer, but he can be part of it!! If we can get the ship turned in the next 2 years he might be able to lead us.. If it takes longer than that, he'll be useless, imo.. He would be a hell of a teacher for someone like Cam Newton though..

Please tell me any quarterback that could be successfull with this pathetic group of players we are throwing out on the field right now? I dont blame Mcnabb for everything. But who in God's name would we have as another option right now?

Archived