Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Donovan McNabb is not the answer.

lockerroom cancer

They "new" it? What does that mean? ;)

So, we know your position on "McPOS." What should we do now that we've made the trade?

Wait until the draft and see what happens. More than likely we are stuck with him for at least one more year though. If nothing else to keep the postion warm for the rookie in training

What I would have liked to have seen happen? Well imagine if we end up in postion to take a top QB this year, we spent the two McPOS picks on starting interior OL and we take say a starting NT or WR in the second round this year. That would have been a foundation to build on

The problem is that even when McNabb has time to throw, he often still makes bad decisions or poor throws. The " touch " on his passes leaves a lot to be desired.

Roethlisberger seems to do allright with a questionable offensive line.

In the two games in which McNabb had time to throw for the most part(Titans and Texans), he found 8-9 different receivers. In the Vikings game on the opening drive..he found 5 different receivers. Even Qbs with great O-lines miss throws...what you're doing is picking at the few snapshots when he may have time even though he was probably harassed throughout the game. That's unrealistic

Look, personally I don't care if we release McNabb. I feel that there is a path with McNabb, but if we give up on McNabb(the same way Giants gave up on Warner, among other examples), then so be it. Can McNabb play better? Yes...but when people make it seem as if McNabb's the main problem..or as if there are other Qbs with similar issues/supporting cast(The Phillip Rivers, Rothlisberger comparisons for example are hilarious and narrow sighted), then there's nothing much to argue with at that point

Guest Spearfeather
McNabb is all about rhythm. When you have no time to throw and your WR's are dropping passes, you can not get into rhythm when those occur. Does that give him a free pass? Certainly not. However, the Skins knew what they had when they traded for him and you need to tailor the offense to get him in his rhythm.

All of that is fine, but like I said, even when he has time to throw, he still makes poor decisions and is inaccurate.

Wait until the draft and see what happens. More than likely we are stuck with him for at least one more year though. If nothing else to keep the postion warm for the rookie in training

What I would have liked to have seen happen? Well imagine if we end up in postion to take a top QB this year, we spent the two McPOS picks on starting interior OL and we take say a starting NT or WR in the second round this year. That would have been a foundation to build on

Read my question again. I didn't ask what you would liked to have seen happen. I asked you what we should do now?

In any case, quite pretending that we got hosed in the trade. We have holes at LG, C, RG, WR, RB, NT, LB, an FS. If you think our offensive woes would have been solved with those two picks and a rookie QB who gets drafted in 2011, you're kidding yourself.

McFlabb was never ever an real option here and was always a mistake. It was so clearly easy to see. I actually respect the Shannys if they have the skills to see the reasons why McFlabb was boo'd and run out of Philly and pull the plug on this. The only option is to get rid of Mr. Chunky and spend whatever we need to trade and draft a young QB like the Jets and the Rams have done. Only then will we have any hope of winning long term. If we draft a center first, guard or tackle in the first round we are screwed for the next 5-7 years as a mediocre team without a QB.

Well I dont really like the fact the he was an Eagle but what he really represents to me is a reminder of a horrid decision thats setting this franchise back just like the Brunnell decision of 2005. We just cant keep doing that! We should have USED those picks to fortify other positions untill we could find a QB not on his last legs. I would have loved to have had McPOS 5 years ago but now? Why? Same reason I can tell you right now that I wouldnt trade two high picks for Vick 5 years from now either when he's McPOS's age. You just dont do that with QBs who rely heavily on their legs.

The constant need to call him out of his name(McPOS? Really??) not only shows a strong unreasonable bias that probably isn't worth debating, it also closes off the chance to have an open minded intelligent discussion.

Guest Spearfeather
Even Qbs with great O-lines miss throws...what you're doing is picking at the few snapshots when he may have time even though he was probably harassed throughout the game. That's unrealistic

No, it's more than a " few snapshots " . He just doesn't make some of the throws that a veteran Qb should make and more than occassionaly makes throws that a veteran Qb shouldn't make.

All of that is fine, but like I said, even when he has time to throw, he still makes poor decisions and is inaccurate.

And when, exactly, has he had time to throw? He rarely gets time and, when he does, he rightly hears footsteps. Moreover, when he does make the throw, you can bet there's a good chance the receiver will drop it, let it get deflected for an INT (e.g., the deflection off of Moss' helmet), run a terrible route (e.g., Galloway's crappy curl route that led to an INT), etc. I'll grant you that McNabb is inaccurate, but he makes up for that with his escapability, arm strength, and decision-making.

McNabb is yet another scapegoat for Skins fans to blame for all of our woes. Hopefully, those fans will wake up one day and realize that we have an old and talent-depleted roster.

Guest Spearfeather
And when, exactly, has he had time to throw? He rarely gets time and, when he does, he rightly hears footsteps. Moreover, when he does make the throw, you can bet there's a good chance the receiver will drop it, let it get deflected for an INT (e.g., the deflection off of Moss' helmet), run a terrible route (e.g., Galloway's crappy curl route that led to an INT), etc. I'll grant you that McNabb is inaccurate, but he makes up for that with his escapability, arm strength, and decision-making.

McNabb is yet another scapegoat for Skins fans to blame for all of our woes. Hopefully, those fans will wake up one day and realize that we have an old and talent-depleted roster.

Why was that ball deflected off Moss's helemet? Because Moss was 10 yards from him and McNabb drilled it like he was 25 yards downfield, which goes back to what I said about his lack of touch on his throws.

He did have a lot of dropped balls last week. Last week was not his fault.

Read my question again. I didn't ask what you would liked to have seen happen. I asked you what we should do now?

In any case, quite pretending that we got hosed in the trade. We have holes at LG, C, RG, WR, RB, NT, LB, an FS. If you think our offensive woes would have been solved with those two picks and a rookie QB who gets drafted in 2011, you're kidding yourself.

I did answer it... I said we will have to wait until the draft and see what happens before we make a decision. I think we get a QB of the future this year and if we do its whether we use McPOS to keep the postion warm for a year or cut him.

I didnt say they would be solved. I said that a foundation would be set to build on. Right now are we any better off than we were at the end of last year? Hard to say. We may be better off at QB this year but just how far do you see a 35 year old running QB taking us in the future?

---------- Post added December-5th-2010 at 10:56 AM ----------

The constant need to call him out of his name(McPOS? Really??) not only shows a strong unreasonable bias that probably isn't worth debating, it also closes off the chance to have an open minded intelligent discussion.

Sorry

Why was that ball deflected off Moss's helemet? Because Moss was 10 yards from him and McNabb drilled it like he was 25 yards downfield, which goes back to what I said about his lack of touch on his throws.

I agree that McNabb threw that ball with too much velocity, but the ball went right between Moss' hands and into his facemask. I pin most of the blame for that INT on Moss. Receivers have to catch those balls.

No, it's more than a " few snapshots " . He just doesn't make some of the throws that a veteran Qb should make and more than occassionaly makes throws that a veteran Qb shouldn't make.

If it was more than a few snapshots, then you're essentially saying that McNabb has had good protection throughout the season. If he hasn't, then the few moments in which he has time are "snapshots".

You'll never hear me argue that McNabb has a laser arm, but looking at it from that perspective is a bit unfair

---------- Post added December-5th-2010 at 12:08 PM ----------

I agree that McNabb threw that ball with too much velocity, but the ball went right between Moss' hands and into his facemask. I pin most of the blame for that INT on Moss. Receivers have to catch those balls.

Exactly...and he defenders weren't too far from Moss in the 1st place either. You shouldn't be a receiver in the NFL if you can't catch that...there was enough space between McNabb and Moss for him to make the catch. McNabb has had his share of poor throws, but that one was on Moss. When the same thing happens to other receivers on other teams I hardly hear anyone knock the QB because those should be caught

Guest Spearfeather
If it was more than a few snapshots, then you're essentially saying that McNabb has had good protection throughout the season. If he hasn't, then the few moments in which he has time are "snapshots".

You'll never hear me argue that McNabb has a laser arm, but looking at it from that perspective is a bit unfair

No, I haven't said that. I said that there has been more than a few times when McNabb has had protection, he has still made some poor throws and some bad decisions.

---------- Post added December-5th-2010 at 05:13 PM ----------

I pin it on McNabb, along with several of his throws into triple coverage.

I watched McNabb for his entire career in Philly. At times he makes poor throws and bad decisions. Other times he makes plays that leave you shaking your head in awe. He is the same QB now that he was with Philly.

What changed is his supporting cast. The Redskins don't have a reliable pass-catching RB like Brian Westbrook or a Duce Staley. Do you know how many times Westy pulled McNabb out of the fire? The Redskins don't have an O-line. The interior of your o-line might as well be called the turnpike to sackville.

McNabb has proven he can win with only average receivers, as long as you have pass-catching firepower in the backfield and a line that can block. Give him a great receiver with that, and he might get you to the Super Bowl (year he had T.O.). Can he do better? Sure. He makes his share of mistakes and bad throws. But he made his share of good and great plays back in Philly. They didn't win all those games in Philly because McNabb sucked. You don't have a line (not McNabb's fault), you don't have much of a backfield (not McNabb's fault), and your receivers are not good (not McNabb's fault). Add that up, and you are not going to win games.

Look at Vick in Philly now. Part of the reason he is successful is the weapons he has. If D-Jax, Maclin, and McCoy were on the Redskins, what do you think your record would be?

I pin it on McNabb, along with several of his throws into triple coverage.

It's clearly the quarterback's fault when the ball hits the receiver's hands, slips right through those hands, hits the receiver's helmet, and is intercepted. "Several of his throws into triple coverage?" Please identify those throws into triple coverage? I have each of the games and I'll go back and look at those alleged throws into triple coverage.

Everyone with half a brain new this BEFORE we made the trade :(

I don't understand this comment.

Are you saying that you knew that McNabb was a poor fit before the trade?

If so, are you claiming to have only a half a brain?

Since "we made the trade" perhaps the other half of brain should have been engaged during your discussions with Shanny and Allen and made a stronger case against the move

:D

I don't understand this comment.

Are you saying that you knew that McNabb was a poor fit before the trade?

If so, are you claiming to have only a half a brain?

Since "we made the trade" perhaps the other half of brain should have been engaged during your discussions with Shanny and Allen and made a stronger case against the move

:D

LOL... My point to them would have been that this move only made sense for a team that was a QB away and not for a team who had so many holes to fill. I assumed it would only take about half a brain to figure out that we are much closer to the latter than the former.

Guest Spearfeather
It's clearly the quarterback's fault when the ball hits the receiver's hands, slips right through those hands, hits the receiver's helmet, and is intercepted. "Several of his throws into triple coverage?" Please identify those throws into triple coverage? I have each of the games and I'll go back and look at those alleged throws into triple coverage.

Yep, it is the Qb's fault, when the receiver is 10 yards away and you throw a fastball at his head.

If indeed you do go back and watch, you will see more than a couple into triple coverage. The one to Cooley last week ( when Cooley was five yards away from him with three DB's around him ) didn't get intercepted, but it was a poor decision nonetheless.

How about the interception against Chicago that luckily got called back because of delay of game. Totally inexplicable. Poor decision.

Archived