Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Donovan McNabb is not the answer.

lockerroom cancer

SI bold NFL predictions for the final five weeks of the season:

Number 5. Brett Favre isn't the only big-name quarterback who's in the last five games of his tenure as his team's starter. Washington's Mike Shanahan is going to come to the conclusion that Donovan McNabb is not the answer.

McNabb's first season as a Redskin has been underwhelming by almost any measurement. His 11 touchdown passes are his fewest since he threw eight as an Eagles rookie in 1999, when he only started six games. His 13 interceptions are already tied for his career high, when he tossed that many in 16 starts for Philadelphia in 2000. His 76.0 passer rating is 27th among 33 qualifying quarterbacks in the league, and his lowest since his rookie season. And his 7.3-yard average attempt is down almost a full yard from 2009 (8.0).

After playing in the same system for 11 years under Andy Reid in Philadelphia, McNabb simply hasn't clicked in Shanahan's offense yet. His play has been hesitant at times, inconsistent, and mostly uninspiring. And when Shanahan benched McNabb in favor of Rex Grossman for the final two minutes of that midseason loss at Detroit, it provided a window into how he really feels about the franchise quarterback he traded for last Easter Sunday.

Recent contract extension or no contract extension, the Redskins have a relatively easy out clause built into McNabb's new deal, and I think they put it there because of the doubts that exist in the minds of Shanahan and his son, Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. If Washington convinces itself that it has any better options than No. 5 next season, and I believe it will, then the McNabb era in D.C. will wind up being a much-celebrated but largely disappointing one- and-done.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/11/30/nfl-predictions/index.html#ixzz17FWaE3QE

I'm not going to judge any QB who is down to his 3rd and 4th string RB's, has no protection what so ever, and has receivers who are dropping 1/3 of the passes that hit their hands. Please name just 1 QB who can succeed behind this offense.
MAYBE Peyton.

I bet the Chiefs are happy they gave Cassel a 2nd year to get accustomed to the system/team. . ..

Remember how awful that trade looked at the end of last year? Everyone "knew" it was a huge mistake just 6 months ago. They had "blown it", "wasted picks" and Cassel was only good because of the NE magic.

Funny how that happens. :ols:

Look at the sack stats of Cassel last year and this year. Something to think about.

I love these articles that totally miss CONTEXT. putrid Oline, practice squad RBs, No dynamic playmakers @ WR..... :doh:

---------- Post added December-5th-2010 at 11:27 AM ----------

MAYBE Peyton.

But, what was the reason why they lost last week against NE? Constant pressure and dropped passes....For some reason this sounds quite familiar.

We've had bad WRs, OL and unhealthy RBs here for a few years now and we cant continue to use that excuse forever. McPOS may or may not be here next year but I sure hope one of the top QBs is setting there when our first round pick comes up.

without clicking on the link, I can tell you that don "d-bag" banks wrote this, he's so friggin predictable. If the skins were 9-2 right now he'd be saying the same stupid crap. if I'm not mistaken, he's a raven's season ticket holder, so can't be that bright to begin with.

We've had bad WRs, OL and unhealthy RBs here for a few years now and we cant continue to use that excuse forever. McPOS may or may not be here next year but I sure hope one of the top QBs is setting there when our first round pick comes up.

And who is going to block for your shiny new QB? We have tried different QB's for a few years now and we cant continue to use that excuse forever.

"Fat boys wins my game, I know football, and in December, in the playoffs, fat boys win. Whoever's got the best fat boys is gonna win, so I'm gonna collect fat boys." - Fred Smoot

I'm not going to judge any QB who is down to his 3rd and 4th string RB's, has no protection what so ever, and has receivers who are dropping 1/3 of the passes that hit their hands. Please name just 1 QB who can succeed behind this offense.

This.

I certainly am underwhelmed by McNabb this year, but he's a proven winner. Show me a man who says that McNabb is the main problem and I'll show you a man who doesn't know football.

And who is going to block for your shiny new QB? We have tried different QB's for a few years now and we cant continue to use that excuse forever.

"Fat boys wins my game, I know football, and in December, in the playoffs, fat boys win. Whoever's got the best fat boys is gonna win, so I'm gonna collect fat boys." - Fred Smoot

Sorry, AND this.

Buck clearly hates McNabb, so his opinion is worthless here. However, we've changed coaches, GMs, quarterbacks, running backs, a tight end, and wide receivers. We're still bad on offense.

Anyone want to take a guess as to what is the *ONLY* constant here? And no, it's not some guy who hasn't been heard from all season . . .

Guest Spearfeather

The problem is that even when McNabb has time to throw, he often still makes bad decisions or poor throws. The " touch " on his passes leaves a lot to be desired.

Roethlisberger seems to do allright with a questionable offensive line.

I think McNabb can play at a high level for us. Give him good WR to add to Moss and Armstrong. Fix the interior Oline. Our interior Oline is probably one of the worst in the league. An possibly look for a good RB. If you fix those things, I think McNabb can do great things. Yes, he'll still throw a pass in the dirt at times, but I think he can still play great. That said, we really do need a QB to groom behind him.

Unless you are wanting wanting us to draft another left tackle you take your fat boys after Round 1

Of course one of those after the first is already invested in McPOS :(

The problem is that even when McNabb has time to throw, he often still makes bad decisions or poor throws. The " touch " on his passes leaves a lot to be desired.

Roethlisberger seems to do allright with a questionable offensive line.

McNabb is all about rhythm. When you have no time to throw and your WR's are dropping passes, you can not get into rhythm when those occur. Does that give him a free pass? Certainly not. However, the Skins knew what they had when they traded for him and you need to tailor the offense to get him in his rhythm.

Unless you are wanting wanting us to draft another left tackle you take your fat boys after Round 1

Of course one of those after the first is already invested in McPOS :(

Damn did mcnabb bully you in high school? Lol

Some of you still can't over the fact dude played with Philly

He is ours now, he isn't great but he is best available

Tell me who we can get in the offseason without giving stuff up?

No running game, thanks to an O-line that can't block for ****, alongside injury's. Pressure equal to anything seen the past few years thanks to an O-line that can't pass protect for ****. Receivers dropping passes like the football is a live grenade. And his first new system in his pro career, which is just not new for McNabb, but for the entire offense around him.

WTG in a reactionary, unsubstantiated piece SI. Don't let little things like facts get in the way of your biased opinion huh?

Hail.

Buck, the reason why it seems like the same excuse over and over is because we never address those issues. We've known for many years that we lacked oline. We've known for years that we needed more at WR to add with Moss. Finally, we addressed a part of the oline last year and I hope that we continue to address it. We tried to address the WR problem a couple of years ago with two 2nd rounders. Unfortunately, they both turned out to be busts.

I do agree that we need to start grooming a QB. I don't see us using a 1st rounder on a QB unless Shanahan sees someone he really likes. We also have needs on Dline and LB too. Who knows, we may go NT in the 1st. We'll have to wait and see.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Vinny had an account going. Sadly, I do, and it makes me despair more.

Hail,

Damn did mcnabb bully you in high school? Lol

Some of you still can't over the fact dude played with Philly

He is ours now, he isn't great but he is best available

Tell me who we can get in the offseason without giving stuff up?

Well I dont really like the fact the he was an Eagle but what he really represents to me is a reminder of a horrid decision thats setting this franchise back just like the Brunnell decision of 2005. We just cant keep doing that! We should have USED those picks to fortify other positions untill we could find a QB not on his last legs. I would have loved to have had McPOS 5 years ago but now? Why? Same reason I can tell you right now that I wouldnt trade two high picks for Vick 5 years from now either when he's McPOS's age. You just dont do that with QBs who rely heavily on their legs.

Well I dont really like the fact the he was an Eagle but what he really represents to me is a reminder of a horrid decision thats setting this franchise back just like the Brunnell decision of 2005. We just cant keep doing that! We should have USED those picks to fortify other positions untill we could find a QB not on his last legs. I would have loved to have had McPOS 5 years ago but now? Why? Same reason I can tell you right now that I wouldnt trade two high picks for Vick 5 years from now either when he's McPOS's age. You just dont do that with QBs who rely heavily on their legs.

So the problem isn't McNabb, yet you continue to refer to him as McPiece Of ****.

Yes, you're taken very seriously on this topic.

So the problem isn't McNabb, yet you continue to refer to him as McPiece Of ****.

Yes, you're taken very seriously on this topic.

Ive called him that for a few years. Why change now? And I really dont care if you take me seriously or not to be honest but still, it is what it is. That trade hurt this team and you cant change that by not taking it seriously.

Archived