Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Samuels.....HoF Worthy?

tml6157

Ok so lets put homerism aside for this one. I was on ebay yesterday and came across a really awesome 16x20 autographed picture of Samuels for $12 and purchased it. Afterwards I got to thinking...will he make the HoF? I certainly think he should but I cant determine if thats just the homer in me or if he deserves it. I believe Pace and Ogden are shoe-ins. Walter Jones most likely, and I consider Samuels better then Jones. What do you guys think?

Seems that for linemen to get in they need at least 8 pro bowls and have to have been considered extremely dominant during their era. Samuels was very good, but there were always a few tackles out there that were a little better. Jones was also better than Samuels. He didn't get as much coverage due to being in Seattle, but he could shut down almost anyone during his prime and was a big reason why Shaun Alexander was so successful. With that said there's a chance that even Jones doesn't get in.

Until Will Shields, Willie Roaf and Ogden get in, everyone else is going to have to wait.

I love Samuels, but there's no way in hell he gets in before Jacoby. Look how long it took Russ Grimm to get in. They'll say it had nothing to do with his coaching, but if he hadn't been coach on a Steelers team that won a SB and a Cardinals team that made it to their first SB Grimm would still be waiting to get in too.

You know man, I'd say no fricking question; but I don't know if that's the homer in me either.

He went to what, 6 pro-bowls? He was a consistently high performer right through his career. I'm trying to think who was better through the first decade of this century. Ogden? Jones? Roaf? Pace? If the Redskins had been more consistant through the period in terms of post-season play, and subsequently more prime-time games, I've no doubt he'd be talked about Nationwide in those terms. As he should.

The question is, will the HoF committee think the same way of a man who played on losing teams and doesn't have a ring?

Hail.

Very few linemen get in. Look how long it took for Grimm who was one of the best lines ever and has multiple rings. I'd say it's a long shot. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but that he likely won't get the consideration he deserves. I'm not sure anyone playing for the 'skins will go in as a 'skin.

He was never an all-pro, and was only a 2nd team all-pro once. He was never the best at his position during his era, which was as much to do to his peers as anything esle. Being that he played at the same time as Roaf, Jones, Pace and Ogden, he will most likely again fall short of getting the recognition he might have had he played in a different period.

He's in the Hall of Great. But not the Hall of Fame.

Jones was also better than Samuels. He didn't get as much coverage due to being in Seattle, but he could shut down almost anyone during his prime and was a big reason why Shaun Alexander was so successful. With that said there's a chance that even Jones doesn't get in.

Jones is on a completely different planet than Samuels or any other tackle of the past decade.

In 12 seasons, Jones gave up 23 sacks and was called for nine holding penalties in 5,703 pass attempts by Seattle QBs. Let those numbers sink in for a second.

Jones is going to be a first ballot guy.

Jones is on a completely different planet than Samuels or any other tackle of the past decade.

In 12 seasons, Jones gave up 23 sacks and was called for nine holding penalties in 5,703 pass attempts by Seattle QBs. Let those numbers sink in for a second.

those numbers mean nothing to me without context. how many sacks and holding penalties did Samuels draw per pass attempt?

havign said that -- no, samuels won't make the HoF. the redskins weren't high-profile enough during his era for a linemen to even be considered. ring of fame? no doubt.

Not quite. Now if we won a Super Bowl or two during his era he might get consideration, as good players on great teams tend to get in. But if you're not on a great team you really have to be GREAT, which Samuels was, but for a really long time, which unfortunately he wasn't. If he could have played given us about three more years at the level he played at from 05 to early 08 he would have gotten in.

They are very impressive, however, even Randall McDaniel, a 12 time pro bowler who many consider to be the best guard of all time, didn't get in first ballot. Jones should get in, but due to anti west coast bias, he'll have to wait a few years.

I agree Jones was better. Holding penalties mean nothing to me. Jones held just as much as any other lineman in the league but just didn't get flagged for it as much. As far as Sameuls getting in the HOF I say no. Besides if any of the players mentioned on this board get in before Joe Jacoby it will be a travesty right up there with Michael "Push-Off" Irvin getting in before Art Monk.

Archived