Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Honeymoon is over for Shanahan

themurf

Actually, you jumped the gun there and proved me right, lol.

You specifically said he "watches the practices", which is definitely NOT the same as offensive meetings. There are practices, and then there are meetings. If you don't want to acknowledge that difference when responding to me, especially considering that that's what I corrected you on, then there's no point in this other than to bicker. I'm not into bickering.

The first sentence of Cooley's quote was "Mike doesn't meet with the offense." He later goes on to say that Kyle implements the game plans. You're arguing semantics...offensive/defensive/special teams meetings are a part of....practice.

My point is, that the offense is not the well oiled machine it was in Denver. He also doesn't have the same caliber staff to just trust that they're doing a good job of preparing these guys. He should be hands on, at least while initially establishing his system. Kyle doesn't demand a fraction of the respect that his father does, and as of now while our offense is garbage, I can't blame the players for thinking that way.

But like I said, Shanahan made a move during the heat of the game and I can live with that. I don't agree with it, but I can't fault him for doing what he thought was best for the team with two minutes left in the ballgame. Now, even though I can look past that, I'm not cool with Shanahan crushing McNabb. Why? Because there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to questioning McNabb's intelligence, conditioning, etc. None. All it does is bring more heat on both Shanahan and McNabb and instead of folks writing about how the Redskins let a winnable game get away against the Lions, now we're left with two weeks of unnecessary drama. As a Redskins fan, it's just a situation I can do without.

I think it's funny that you say "now, we're left with two weeks of unnecessary drama. As a Redskins fan, it's just a situation I can do without." lol... well, judging by your first article on the subject I think you're doing just fine with it. :ols:

:pfft:

And I have a good inclination that you're wrong, I don't think he's "crushing" McNabb here... if McNabb is crushed, honestly, he's way too sensitive. I don't think he is. I think there is one massive benefit here you're overlooking and that is that Shanahan has made it quite clear that McNabb needs to step it up, period, and he's not above anyone else on the team. Now, the entire team and fanbase knows it as well. McNabb has every reason to go at this harder than he was before, so as to ensure this kind of a situation never occurs again. It's entirely in his hands. All of this came about due to one reason: McNabb. Not Shanahan. The fact that it was even a thought in his mind to bench McNabb is who's fault? Why is everyone acting like McNabb didn't deserve it to some degree? We all saw how slowly things moved during the Colts' game with McNabb under 4 minutes... why simply assume that McNabb is the victim here? How do you know that McNabb isn't feeling like crap about all this because deep down inside he knows he forced his coaches hand and that he wasn't ready to take over in that situation? You don't know, you're just assuming. McNabb isn't going to come out and tell everyone "yeah, I've sucked thus far at it, so I understand what coach did". But I think he knows.

Shanahan couldn't just say it was all based on health concerns, because everyone would know that's bs and we've already seen a few things leak from the locker room this year. You honestly think the media would've just said "oh, ok, he took him out for health issues" and not speculated endlessly anyway? How naive is that?

Still, with all that said, Shanahan came out and made McNabb look as good as possible in this situation. He pointed to health concerns he had all week with McNabb, and made it mostly about that. He then explained why he didn't just elaborate on it all in the first place, since he wasn't in the mood after a loss. Sure, he could've went about this a bit better, but it's not nearly as big a deal as it's being made.

But that's the media nowadays. There is absolutely no accountability. No one is worried that their credibility will go right out the window when what they've blown out of proportion ends up being quite insignificant with time. That's too bad, in my mind.

The first sentence of Cooley's quote was "Mike doesn't meet with the offense." He later goes on to say that Kyle implements the game plans. You're arguing semantics...offensive/defensive/special teams meetings are a part of....practice.

My point is, that the offense is not the well oiled machine it was in Denver. He also doesn't have the same caliber staff to just trust that they're doing a good job of preparing these guys. He should be hands on, at least while initially establishing his system. Kyle doesn't demand a fraction of the respect that his father does, and as of now while our offense is garbage, I can't blame the players for thinking that way.

No, I'm not arguing semantics, actually, you are. There's a huge difference between practice and meetings. Your attempt to make it like Shanahan isn't able to coach as well because he's not there "during practice" is falling flat on it's face now. You see, Cooley was saying that it's actually amazing how hands on he is because of the fact that he doesn't attend the meetings himself, but instead reviews everything and watches it all himself. He's actually in more than one place at one time because of it.

So, yeah, he is hands on according to Cooley, more so than any coach before according to him. He even said it went so far as the guy's were thinking he had "pyschic abilities" because they forgot he's watching everything. Why don't you read the quote yourself and see how everything you're saying is actually totally opposite to what Cooley was saying, and that the game of words here is being played by you, not me.

It's pretty amazing with such an easy out, Shanahan is seemingly fanning the benching flames, inviting on this PR firestorm.

Shanahan is going all in, with what I would assume is the hope this plays out like Steve Young's benching in 1994 when he was OC, and McNabb's benching two years ago. Huge risk, huge reward.

If it works out, he's a genius. If it does not, we just wasted two draft picks.

Nah, in my mind it's a win-win. If it lights a fire under McNabb, awesome, and both of us agree that would be great. However, if it doesn't and McNabb doesn't improve, I still think it's good and we didn't waste anything. At some point, you have to see what you have, period. If McNabb can't handle this, he's not a championship QB, period. So it'll be good in the end because we're really going to see who McNabb is now. The trade is still worth it because the chance of having a franchise QB is slim to none in the NFL, and you take it for what amounts to only one 2nd Rounder and a 3rd/4th. Those picks are definitely not as valuable as franchise QB is to a team, nor are they as valuable as the chance of getting one, though it's closer in that case. You definitely would love to get a sure thing for those picks, but again, a chance at a franchise QB is definitely worth a 2nd rounder and 3rd/4th the next year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are, finally, finding out about guys fast and getting it done with. For years we would just hope and hope and hope that they would eventually get it... but Shanahan isn't going to sit around and wait at the expense of the team. It's not fair to the other guys, even if they love the player who's setting them back. It's not about feelings, it's about what's best for the team. I love it. Anyone feeling "alienated" about this shouldn't be on the team, because what they're saying is that they're putting their personal feelings first. Let any player prove that they're better than what coach says by showing him on film, but guess what? They can't! Not unless they change.

But that's the media nowadays. There is absolutely no accountability. No one is worried that their credibility will go right out the window when what they've blown out of proportion ends up being quite insignificant with time. That's too bad, in my mind.

By no means do I consider myself a member of the mainstream media, but I am more than happy to be held accountable for my articles, columns and opinions. If I write it or say it, then I'm man enough to live with it. Just ask folks who love to bring up my over-the-top defense of Jason Campbell or my stance on Devin Thomas and/or Larry Johnson. I've been doing this long enough that I'm not going to be 100 percent right. I have opinions on my favorite football team and sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong. In this case, I think if Shanahan had been smarter, then there is a very different tone heading into the bye week. Instead, there is a dark cloud hanging over Redskins Park that would have been completely avoided had Shanahan thought before he spoke.

By no means do I consider myself a member of the mainstream media, but I am more than happy to be held accountable for my articles, columns and opinions. If I write it or say it, then I'm man enough to live with it. Just ask folks who love to bring up my over-the-top defense of Jason Campbell or my stance on Devin Thomas and/or Larry Johnson. I've been doing this long enough that I'm not going to be 100 percent right. I have opinions on my favorite football team and sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong. In this case, I think if Shanahan had been smarter, then there is a very different tone heading into the bye week. Instead, there is a dark cloud hanging over Redskins Park that would have been completely avoided had Shanahan thought before he spoke.

1. I think your article is written very well.

2. The truth hurts Murf and there is allot of truth in your article sir. Coach contradicted himself in a 3 minute span (Throwing D-Mac under the bus while praising two scrubs for poor play).

Ego? maybe or maybe the game is passing him by. Who knows but right now Extremeskins and much of the nation can see there is a problem here.

Hail!

. Instead, there is a dark cloud hanging over Redskins Park that would have been completely avoided had Shanahan thought before he spoke.

I dunno...I mean, I agree and see where you're coming from, but even if Shanahan handled it better don't you think there'd be a dark cloud due to the fact that McNabb was pulled regardless?

Mort's comments today also don't help things.

Don't get me wrong, murf, you know me and you know I'm a supporter of your work. I honestly don't lump you in with the "media", and I've said that numerous times before. But that's also why I'm jumping on you right now, lol... I don't want you to be like them in anyway. But, yeah, you're definitely entitled to your opinion and the consequences of it's wrongness thereafter. ;)

I dunno...I mean, I agree and see where you're coming from, but even if Shanahan handled it better don't you think there'd be a dark cloud due to the fact that McNabb was pulled regardless?

Mort's comments today also don't help things.

Here's my made-up scenario:

1. Shanahan pulls McNabb in favor of Grossman.

2. Grossman gets crushed from behind, fumbles and Redskins lose to Lions.

3. Shanahan says in post-game press conference that McNabb was banged up and it's more important to have a healthy McNabb on the field the rest of the season rather than risk further injury today.

4. Life goes on.

If that happens, then my best guess at the topic of conversation surrounding the Redskins this week is "McNabb turns 34 this month and hasn't really been able to stay healthy for a few years now. Should we be worried that more Grossman is in our future?" I fully admit I'm making all of this up, but wouldn't that be way more tolerable than what we've got in front of us now?

If that happens, then my best guess at the topic of conversation surrounding the Redskins this week is "McNabb turns 34 this month and hasn't really been able to stay healthy for a few years now. Should we be worried that more Grossman is in our future?" I fully admit I'm making all of this up, but wouldn't that be way more tolerable than what we've got in front of us now?

To be honest does it matter?

By Week 11 there will be some other outrage for the fans. Or we will be 7-4 and in position to make the playoffs and all this outrage will look stupid

3. Shanahan says in post-game press conference that McNabb was banged up and it's more important to have a healthy McNabb on the field the rest of the season rather than risk further injury today.

4. Life goes on.

I think in that scenario people (and I'd be one of them) would argue that despite McNabb having a rough day, pulling him would be waving a white flag of sorts. IMO, there's no real reason he should have pulled McNabb in that scenario unless he was seriously hurt. But the other storyline there would be the one that you proposed as well.

Prospect of more Grossman as being way more tolerable? Hard to say. ;)

4. Life goes on.

bingo

I don't get what is so hard to understand. Some people are so hell bent on not criticizing Coach Shanahan. As a result, they are consciously choosing to ignore his faults.

There is no way within a 2 minute span you get critical of a player who has helped you win some really tough games but praise two players that have been down right horrible. As a matter of fact "down right horrible" is a nice way of putting it.

Hail!

2. The truth hurts Murf and there is allot of truth in your article sir. Coach contradicted himself in a 3 minute span (Throwing D-Mac under the bus while praising two scrubs for poor play).

It reminded me a little of the time he said that Haynesworth needed to get back into "playing shape" before he would let him back on the field after missing a game due to his step-brother's untimely death....and then a few minutes later saying that Trent Williams, who was allowed to play even though he missed just as much time, was basically playing his way back into shape lol...The question that should have been asked was "Why wasn't Haynesworth allowed to play his way back into shape like Williams?"

Hmm.

I love your articles, but I feel like I'm reading the same thing ESPN, and random no-name radio DJs are telling me.

I really don't understand why this is such a HUGE deal. The word 'liar' is being used far too much on Shanahan here. As if he owes us every little detail about what goes on with this football team. For the sake of the team, good coaches don't give you the answers you want. It might sound ridiculous, but it's not a "LIE". He simply added to his statement from Sunday, saying "yea, well hes banged up, too." And as for the cardiovascular comment, I think he's just saying, that's what it takes to perform the 2 minute drill. He didn't NECESSARILY suggest McNabb was out of shape.

Bill Belechick is the most untrustworthy coach in all of sports, but he's also one of the best. If you ask me, Shanahan's just doing too much talking. He doesn't have to explain himself in that situation. "I thought rex gave us the best chance to win" might piss us off, but at least it's something. We don't hang out with these guys, we don't know ****. And frankly, I appreciate our coach going so in depth about what happened at the end of that game. I think he did so, because he knew it was gonna be a ****storm.

People are looking for reasons to hate, and not just the Redskins, but we sure are up there these days in the 'bad headline' department. So consider this: Rex Grossman takes us down the field for the game winning TD. Hooray, we won? No. Then there's more slimy mediots prying and clawing for information about why Rex went in, is Rex better than McNabb, are you unhappy with McNabb, blah blah. So it was lose-lose, as far as that goes. So what's that mean? Shanahan's not ALLOWED to make a mid game roster adjustment because no matter what happens the media will hate him? Bull****. And I'm sure that's what Mike said, too. Since when does he care what the media thinks. And that's why I find it odd that he DID go so in depth with his explanation. To me, I guess it means that this time, he owed the fans an explanation, and that means he cares. People would be a whole lot less pissed if he said nothing (Belechick style) and moved on..when in reality, that sort of action should make you more upset.

Anyway, I do think it will blow over easily. This **** isn't as important as a bad Oline, or a banged up bunch of guys. This team needed a bye week, and they're getting it. I expect them to come out a little fresher, and put on the same edge-of-your-seat Redskins performance that we've seen all year. And I look forward to it.

Hmm.

I love your articles, but I feel like I'm reading the same thing ESPN, and random no-name radio DJs are telling me.

I really don't understand why this is such a HUGE deal. The word 'liar' is being used far too much on Shanahan here. As if he owes us every little detail about what goes on with this football team. For the sake of the team, good coaches don't give you the answers you want. It might sound ridiculous, but it's not a "LIE".

Read it again. I actually want Shanahan to lie to me.

What really gets me is that Rex was brought in in the final minutes of a close game RIGHT BEFORE A BYE WEEK! In DC! With this fan base!!!

Did MS think that this would not get blown out of proportion? I mean c'mon now. The movie Dumb and Dumber comes to mind. MS had NO idea what he was getting into with the local media and this fan base. DC Sports is like no other sports town.

No, I'm not arguing semantics, actually, you are. There's a huge difference between practice and meetings. Your attempt to make it like Shanahan isn't able to coach as well because he's not there "during practice" is falling flat on it's face now. You see, Cooley was saying that it's actually amazing how hands on he is because of the fact that he doesn't attend the meetings himself, but instead reviews everything and watches it all himself. He's actually in more than one place at one time because of it.

So, yeah, he is hands on according to Cooley, more so than any coach before according to him. He even said it went so far as the guy's were thinking he had "pyschic abilities" because they forgot he's watching everything. Why don't you read the quote yourself and see how everything you're saying is actually totally opposite to what Cooley was saying, and that the game of words here is being played by you, not me.

Cooley said he thinks Mike's ideas are present in the gameplan, which makes him hands on. He didn't say Shanahan was more hands on than Gibbs or Zorn...he said those guys ran their own meetings.

Still don't know what to tell you if you don't believe that "practice" consists of on field, and classroom meetings between players playing similar positions

I disagree ... imagine had we have kept JC or gone with Rex? Do you think the other players on this team would have "rallied" ... what talent we did have would have been in the same mindset/culture of losing and unmotivated that has been stuck on this team and this franchise for the last 20 years. Bringing in McNabb was not about letting the fans know whether we are in a "win now" mode or a "rebuilding" mode ... more so than it was a message to the rest of the TEAM that "we are going to win and we are not going to wait to do it."

The culture of the team is set by the head coach, not by any players. I doubt that the mindset of the team would be much different if Campbell or Grossman were the QB of the team. Offensive players tend to rally behind whoever the QB is. They did for Campbell and they did for McNabb.

Personally, "messages" like this are ultimately fools gold. It has to be backed up with actual results. Shanahan knows this.

IMO McNabb being brought in was more about having a steady leader for this veteran team and it's players ... and less about selling tickets and "letting the fans know" anything. Just my perspective. i agree the premise of the article is spot on, Shanny has mentioned before in interviews that he does not discuss personal conversations or coaching decisions with the media, because that wold open "Pandora's box" ... those exact words came out of his mouth when interviewed by Kelli Johnson. I'm sure Shanny has a good reason for what he did. Whether that was right or wrong remains to be seen. Should it motivate DMac to elevate his play and we start winning games, this will all be water under the bridge.

Personally, I think Shanahan fell into a trap that a lot of head coaches who make personnel decisions fall into. They make choices based on the here-and-now rather than for the future. The likelyhood that McNabb will still be a force on this team after three years is unlikely. Like Gibbs trading for Brunell, Shanahan sacrificed the future for the now.

But what i think is most important, s that bringing McNab in here was not about the fans, it was about the team and having a leader as an example to go by. Which to Murf's point, could all be for not with his comments regarding the fact.

I also agree Shanny should have kept the personal comments and time line of player/coach conversations out of the media, he slipped up on that as well. he created this mess in the blink of an eye, but not with his decisions ... but more so with his response to all the questions. Just my $.02. HAIL.

I agree that the comments do undermine McNabb, but at the same time there is only so long that you can deal with substandard performance from any position. I don't like the way he handled it. That being said, I'm not sure he has many options right now. McNabb is the most mobile QB he's got, and given the state of the OL, we need all the mobility at the position we can get.

I think this is a very plausible scenerio. But it took you, what, all of 10 seconds to see the story that would be spun (negatively) out of it? The fact is that after a horrible loss, there is always going to be a story. Shanahan picked a clumsy way to handle the questions, and we have a slightly darker cloud than normal. But it is always going to be a dark cloud after a loss, especially a loss where you pull the QB.

Way more tolerable? Maybe, but you would still have the screaming heads, the table pounding TV segments, and the wild extrapolations we are seeing today. It would just have a slightly different spin, with the same basic sky-is-falling tone.

Archived