Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Honeymoon is over for Shanahan

themurf

Excellent post. Thanks.

I still believe in Shanahan and Allen and will give them as many years as they need to turn this thing around but the chain of events and explanation were absurd. Had he just said, "Hey, I'm the coach and make the decisions around here. You reporters and fans have no effing clue what you are thinking..." I'd have more respect for the guy.

He could take the Randy Moss strategy and say: "I will tell you what I want you to know. I will ask/answer my own questions." Problem solved.

I agree 100% I'm not defending his decision making. I'm just defending the simple fact that the entire fan base hasn't turned on him. Yes, I even said WTF when I saw Grossman trotted out there.. But you know what? The guy had planned this out earlier in the week and went with his gut.. This wasn't a decision made in 2 seconds on a whim... It was plotted out, whether right or wrong.

The guy deserves an entire year before pieces like this come out saying "He lied to us" Sounds pathetic.

No, the entire fanbase hasn't turned on him but...I don't think it'll be soon after another decision like that in which the fanbase will. I might be wrong but I don't think McNabb had any clue that he'd be out of the game if a 2 minute drill needed to be run, I thought he alluded to something like that in one of his press conferences.

I don't expect coaches to be telling the truth to media/fans all the time, either. But for those in the media and those who feel the need to be accurate in the stories they write, I can understand a bit of annoyance towards Shanny. Hypothetically speaking, if Shanny says one thing and it gets reported and then goes and does the exact opposite, it can make the reporter look like an ******* and their journalistic integrity might be questioned...even though Shanny could care less. And the notion that Shanny could care less in a situation like that, I can see why media members or some fans might have ruffled feathers.

He set the same thing up in Denver and was praised for being meticulous. To be honest with you, I think a faction of our fan base has become spoiled with loose lips at Redskin Park and feels entitled to information that most other organizations don't leak out. The coach's job is to run the team and get the best results he can. Do you think fans in Boston have any clue what goes on behind closed doors with the Patriots? I'm sure they're OK trading that and accepting BB's deceit and stubbornness for the program he's built there.

Let's give Shanahan some time to establish his system and change this organization and see how it runs in a couple years.

My comment has nothing to do with wanting inside information, just an impression of his behavior, which is not judgemental so much as curious. I do wonder a bit if the lack of a personal touch will eventually bite him.

Course, as long as teams are winning, no one is going to question anything. When you lose, everything gets questioned.

Let's be honest here Murf.. if Shanahan didn't bench McNabb.. you're still writing this column of yours? I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be the same.. And as I said, the entire fan base hasn't turned on Shanahan.. only people like you and the other media members who are bitter because he doesn't divulge every piece of information about his decision making or personnel decisions..

This entire piece sounds like a whiny ass kid who got his toys taken away from him.

So do you care to try again?

You may or may not believe this, but other than his introductory press conference when he came up and personally introduced himself to me, I've had zero interaction with Mike Shanahan. Actually, I prefer it that way. While his post-game press conference is going on, I'm in the locker room conducting interviews with players. So I personally don't care how he treats the media. I do, however, care how he treats the players on the team I cheer for. And unnecessarily throwing your supposed franchise quarterback under a bus and then backing over him comes across to me as foolish and shortsighted. Hence the column.

But that's not what you said. Now, basically your gripe is that you'd have used a different story/lie. A few posts earlier, you were galled that he'd come to DC and lie to the fans/media.

Listen, he could have handled it better and, to be honest, I think he made several mistakes in the closing minutes of last week's game. But it's one game and I still think he deserves all the support and patience necessary to turn this team around. He's the most qualified person we've had here to bring us back to prominence in almost a decade.

Go back and re-read the column. I actually site his specific quotes in reference to Moore and McNabb. My argument hasn't changed.

My comment has nothing to do with wanting inside information, just an impression of his behavior, which is not judgemental so much as curious. I do wonder a bit if the lack of a personal touch will eventually bite him.

Course, as long as teams are winning, no one is going to question anything. When you lose, everything gets questioned.

Well, what I understood with the cameras was not that he watched en lieu of attending, but that he wanted access to any positional meeting that might be going on at any time. So, he can tune into the DL meeting, for example if he wants to check in on that. I don't see how that is mutually exclusive from attending meetings and dealing with players since, obviously, he can't attend all meetings that are running concurrently.

Still, I'd agree that he seems much more CEO-ish than any of our past coaches...but maybe that's something we need since the "head coach with a specialty in X" hasn't worked recently (Spurrier the OC, Zorn the QB coach, etc.).

Is there any evidence that he was lying about Moore? I never second-guessed that and thought Moore really did have some lingering issues with his knee which makes sense given he sprained or tore his MCL - that can happen with knee injuries (I've torn my ACL twice).

I know Moore pretty well and have a solid relationship with the guy. Let's just say after the Bears game he was so pissed off that he refused to talk to anyone about it. He and I spoke briefly off the record, but he was so heated about everything that he wisely chose to bite his tongue rather than say whatever was on his mind to the mainstream media types. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I'm not sure that a mild-mannered dude like Moore has that level of a reaction if it really was a case of the coaching staff trying to keep him healthy.

I agree 100% I'm not defending his decision making. I'm just defending the simple fact that the entire fan base hasn't turned on him. Yes, I even said WTF when I saw Grossman trotted out there.. But you know what? The guy had planned this out earlier in the week and went with his gut.. This wasn't a decision made in 2 seconds on a whim... It was plotted out, whether right or wrong.

The guy deserves an entire year before pieces like this come out saying "He lied to us" Sounds pathetic.

Okay, you're right. I did not go door-to-door and ask every single Redskins fan if they had, in fact, turned on Mike Shanahan. But the fact remains that I am far from the only person who has anything to say on the subject this week.

Go back and re-read the column. I actually site his specific quotes in reference to Moore and McNabb. My argument hasn't changed.

OK, I see where I mis-read your statement about lying. Once again, I'm a victim of my horrible reading comprehension.

Even still, I don't think the honeymoon should be over at this point and I don't really care what reasons he gives for the decisions that he makes as they are his decisions to make and not really our business.

That was a completely stupid decision, I agree with.

But the reaction of this town is beyond laughable. I called in 106.7 last night asking what should be done now to Shanahan since "the honeymoon is over" and since he has "lost the fanbase"

Fire him? Tell him no more PCs? The Greg Blache treatment?

The thing is, I don't think he cares one bit. And neither do I, a win over Philly and we are division title/playoff/Superbowl bound again

Very much agree

Excellent post. Thanks.

I still believe in Shanahan and Allen and will give them as many years as they need to turn this thing around but the chain of events and explanation were absurd. Had he just said, "Hey, I'm the coach and make the decisions around here. You reporters and fans have no effing clue what you are thinking..." I'd have more respect for the guy.

He did that a few weeks ago when he told them he knew they have a job to do, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way.

No, its not his job to tell us the ins and outs. Rather its an issue of integrity. If you are going to address an issue, just address it and move on. But why give conflicting information? That i don't understand.:

-One minute he can't grasp the 2-minute playbook. :rolleyes:...what ever.

-Now, he's out of shape and has hurt hamstrings.

-Oh BTW, Rex works hard and practices everyday....Huh?!

I'm not saying I disagree with you...but did you see how many times the Lions...yes i said the Lions...of all teams ..nailed Mcnabb and blew by our O line (if our Oline did there job...i very much doubt we would be in this position with having to come back and try and win it btw)...personally...I think Shanny did the sub to see if it gave some sort of new spark for the team down the stretch...I bet he took into consideration that DM was getting nailed thru out the game...has been playing some what hurt prior to this game (didn't he miss some practices?) ...ok let's say we leave in DM on that last series.....do you really think the outcome would be much different? we got man handled!!! I was asked from a buddy how the skins looked after halftime...I told him DM has been quarterbacking/throwing from his back...I trust Shanny...even if he lies to the media...to us...his job is to make this team into a winner......not to stroke players personalities and please the media and be honest w/ everyone...btw...you can't tell me that the media doesn't twist the truth ;) JMHO

ps...I respect your opinion as well as others on this board...but couldnt the reason for benching him be a few factors...just because Shanny tells a certain part at one time ...than another part another time...does it mean that he is lying? or could all of these factors be part of the reasons why?...I'm sure Shanny was trying to give generic answers so we can move on from this topic but the media kept pressing... I dont know about you...but I would hate the media if I was a head coach knowing they will blow things out of proportion just to sell news...

just keep in mind...owners job is to make tons of money and live in a mansion...coaches job is to win football games...players jobs is to do the best they can on the football field so we can win football games...job of the fans is to stick with our team (team = more than just one player) win or loss...and the media's job is to sell news and make tons of money (truth or lies) for there boss who more than likely also lives in a mansion...JMHO

I do, however, care how he treats the players on the team I cheer for. And unnecessarily throwing your supposed franchise quarterback under a bus and then backing over him comes across to me as foolish and shortsighted.

Yet on your twitter yesterday you responded with something along the lines of HAHAHAHAHAHA in response of Shanny not throwing guys like Galloway & Lichtensteiger under the bus. Instead he protected them with minimum praise because he's not going to trash them in public.

Don't blame Redskins fans, blame Shanahan. This ain't Denver. People pay attention to everything you say here and care way too much about the burgundy and gold to let a dumb decision and an even dumber explanation of said decision go by unnoticed.

I agree. The decision itself was stupid IMO, and the 10,000 diferent explanations for it did not help matters at all. All it did was open up a huge can of worms. I also think that if McNabb seriously didn't know he'd be benched, that Shanny should be smacked for treating him the way he did. And let's not forget that by benching McNabb, he basically ***** slapped all of us (the fans) b/c we still had a shot at a win before he benched him.

I'd agree that the entire fanbase hasn't turned on him...but I do believe the entire fanbase certainly raised an eyebrow and uttered a WTF when watching Grossman come into the game. It's definitely a catalyst to look at the McNabb/Shanny relationship and what's really going on. Mort's comments this morning were pretty sad and I don't think any of us here had any idea that there was a strain between McNabb and Shanny in camp.

Yeah, and a catalyst that sparks a QB controversy is the last thing we need. McNabb, like him or not, is one of the best QB's we've had in a while and gives us our best shot at contending. To bench him, IMO, was the biggest mistake. The excuses after just made things worse. I even gavs Shanny the benefit of the doubt by thinking he may have been trying to avoid throwing DM under the bus, but listening to the post game presser I realize that that was basically what he was doing. IMO, Shanny made a stupid decision and tried to cover it up by blaming our QB. A good QB who we cannot afford to piss off or lose. Shanny's handling of this situation plus other suspect decisions he's made has made me slowly start to question what the hell he's doing.

I know Moore pretty well and have a solid relationship with the guy. Let's just say after the Bears game he was so pissed off that he refused to talk to anyone about it. He and I spoke briefly off the record, but he was so heated about everything that he wisely chose to bite his tongue rather than say whatever was on his mind to the mainstream media types. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I'm not sure that a mild-mannered dude like Moore has that level of a reaction if it really was a case of the coaching staff trying to keep him healthy.

Well, I have no reason to doubt the truth of this. So, IMO, this is just another strike against Shanny.

Murf, how do you feel about Kyle?

I know people thought he was the second coming for some reason, but he appears to be in way over his head. The body language from players on the sidelines gives off the feeling that they think he is a joke.

I know people thought he was the second coming for some reason, but he appears to be in way over his head. The body language from players on the sidelines gives off the feeling that they think he is a joke.

I'd like to hear about this as well.

Kyle Shanahan's own body-language doesn't exactly command confidence.

...people wrongly started thinking playoffs. It's not happening. No one before the season thought we were going to make the playoffs...

Yes we did.

The logical part of our brain may have been saying things like, "There are too many things wrong with the team...It's too much to expect the playoffs."

All the while, the homer in our hearts was thinking "Wouldn't it be great if we made the playoffs? Even make it to the Super Bowl...AND WIN IT!!!" ha ha ha wouldn't that be be just PERFECT - we'd be in the record books!!! And then we all laughed a sinister laugh thinking about Peter King and all the other haters in the press and ESPN and all being able to rub it in the faces of all those steeler fans and cowboy fans that seem to come out of the wood work even the the DC area.

Then the skins came out and...Started to do it. Beating the Cowboys...beating the Eagles - first place in the NFC East...yes it was happening! and the little sinister laugh started up again.

But now that the skins are starting to behave like the logical part ov our brain thought they would. Losing games they should have won easily.

Now Shanahan is seeing what the problem really is - not a lack of talent, but the attitude.

Yet on your twitter yesterday you responded with something along the lines of HAHAHAHAHAHA in response of Shanny not throwing guys like Galloway & Lichtensteiger under the bus. Instead he protected them with minimum praise because he's not going to trash them in public.

I get the point you're trying to make, but it does seem a little funny that he'd say Lichtensteiger is playing well when we all know he sucks or that he continues to let Rabach play as he is suckage too, yet he benches McNabb for ~take your pick of reasons Shanny gave~.

I agree. The decision itself was stupid IMO, and the 10,000 diferent explanations for it did not help matters at all. All it did was open up a huge can of worms. I also think that if McNabb seriously didn't know he'd be benched, that Shanny should be smacked for treating him the way he did. And let's not forget that by benching McNabb, he basically ***** slapped all of us (the fans) b/c we still had a shot at a win before he benched him.

Yeah, and a catalyst that sparks a QB controversy is the last thing we need. McNabb, like him or not, is one of the best QB's we've had in a while and gives us our best shot at contending. To bench him, IMO, was the biggest mistake. The excuses after just made things worse. I even gavs Shanny the benefit of the doubt by thinking he may have been trying to avoid throwing DM under the bus, but listening to the post game presser I realize that that was basically what he was doing. IMO, Shanny made a stupid decision and tried to cover it up by blaming our QB. A good QB who we cannot afford to piss off or lose. Shanny's handling of this situation plus other suspect decisions he's made has made me slowly start to question what the hell he's doing.

Well, I have no reason to doubt the truth of this. So, IMO, this is just another strike against Shanny.

You all need to stop babying Mcnabb, He practices bad and it shows on the field. If he is not overthrowing someone he is throwing into triple coverage. I mean how many games has he actually won for us, with drives, and don't talk about the line we know it is bad but bad or not he has been making bad decisions. you all kept complaing this team didn't have disapline and showed favertisuem. Well guess what, we have the right coach now so instead of Shanny I Trust now it will be Shanny I believe.

Yes we did.

The logical part of our brain may have been saying things like, "There are too many things wrong with the team...It's too much to expect the playoffs."

All the while, the homer in our hearts was thinking "Wouldn't it be great if we made the playoffs? Even make it to the Super Bowl...AND WIN IT!!!" ha ha ha wouldn't that be be just PERFECT - we'd be in the record books!!! And then we all laughed a sinister laugh thinking about Peter King and all the other haters in the press and ESPN and all being able to rub it in the faces of all those steeler fans and cowboy fans that seem to come out of the wood work even the the DC area.

Then the skins came out and...Started to do it. Beating the Cowboys...beating the Eagles - first place in the NFC East...yes it was happening! and the little sinister laugh started up again.

But now that the skins are starting to behave like the logical part ov our brain thought they would. Losing games they should have won easily.

Now Shanahan is seeing what the problem really is - not a lack of talent, but the attitude.

Unfortunately, talentwise I don't see much of a difference between last year's team and this year. The main difference is that we are making less mistakes which are allowing us to win a few more games. But, do not pretend that this team is loaded with talent. The same holes we had last year mostly still exist on this team. Moss is still the only WR worth a damn from game to game. (Before you say Armstrong, he seems to only show up when he's going aganst a second tier DB or when someone makes a mistake.) The OL is still full of holes.

And I'll say again -- the overreaction is overwhelming. Shannahan, despite all he has done in a short time, is getting lambasted over one "bad game". This team is competitive in every game less than a year after being complete embarrassment in just about every game. I understand the "He's not Jim Zorn" argument. But I dare just about any other coach right now to win with this talent. It's not there.

This team is a work in progress and roasting Shanny at this point of the season is premature, and the typical run-around-scream-and-shout impatience that has typified the Synder Era.

I understand why Shanahan was brought in here. But I've never been that big a fan of his. And I'm already growing weary of his Joe Clark Minus the Baseball Bat routine. You can be a disciplinarian without publicly showing up your entire roster. I've just never been a big fan of the coaches who bully their players through the media routine. The only one who really ever got that approach to work was Parcells. And he only got away with it because he used it sparingly after already having won a critical mass of the roster to his side. You can get into a public feud with TO when 99 percent of the roster wants that. There is no indication that this team has turned on McNabb or overwhelmingly hated Haynesworth or thought Thomas was a bum.

Unfortunately, talentwise I don't see much of a difference between last year's team and this year. The main difference is that we are making less mistakes which are allowing us to win a few more games. But, do not pretend that this team is loaded with talent. The same holes we had last year mostly still exist on this team. Moss is still the only WR worth a damn from game to game. (Before you say Armstrong, he seems to only show up when he's going aganst a second tier DB or when someone makes a mistake.) The OL is still full of holes.

You missed both points I was making.

1. Fan expectations went way up after the first 4 games.

2. It's the attitude.

The thing that bugs me the most is that any of a dozen teams in the NFC could concoct a scenario that puts them in the Super Bowl. We are included in that group. I don't think a conference has ever been this wide open - and this is the era of the "How the hell did that team make it to the Super Bowl?"

Shanahan seems to be working on some long-range master plan during a season where 9-7 gets you into the playoffs and - after that - anyone can win.

I do not accept the premise that this team is not good enough to compete right now so we can willingly sacrifice in the short term.

Granted, this was not my belief during the pre-season. But the facts on the ground have changed.

Maybe YOU did. No one with an ounce of sense thought we were going to make the playoffs...let alone win the division...

Explain to me why this team can't make the playoffs in the NFC this year? Who looks so overwhelmingly good?

The Skins are mediocre, but a mediocre team is probably going to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. The Saints have been a mess all year. The Packers can't run the ball. The Giants and Eagles both have huge flaws. Why not us?

Archived