Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Honeymoon is over for Shanahan

themurf

shanahan110210.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Welcome to Washington, Mike Shanahan.

I know you’ve been here for a little while now, but after your questionable decision making skills were on display this past weekend in Detroit it’s clear that whatever grace period you were given by this football-loving town upon arrival has been used up.

I’m sure it brought a smile to your face when the Washington Redskins trotted you out and spoke about restoring hope and tradition with a proven winner. Not to take anything away from your impressive resume, but that’s what happens when you replace a guy who wasn’t qualified to be an offensive coordinator – let alone a head coach. Anyone other than Jim Zorn was going to be overwhelmingly embraced.

Regardless of what some may say, ‘Skins fans knew the franchise wasn’t going to be overhauled overnight. There were too many holes. Too many aging veterans. Not enough depth. So rational Redskins fans knew there was going to be a bump in the road or two before this team was realistically ready to compete with the big boys.

But, just like that, all of that goodwill is gone in a flash. You’re finding out firsthand that as quickly as D.C. fell in love with you, the infatuation can end just as fast. The mushy phase is long gone and what you’re left with now is a fractured relationship. If you’re going to make this work, then you’re going to have to improve your communication skills.

You see, this backlash you’re feeling right now isn’t about your decision to bench quarterback Donovan McNabb with less than two minutes remaining in a winnable game against the Detroit Lions. Folks around here (myself included) might think you’re insane for willingly allowing Rex Grossman into a game, but that’s your call.

In that moment you did what you thought was best for your football team, and while we might not agree with it, Redskins fans would have eventually let it go had you handled the situation properly. But, as we know by now, that’s not what happened. Nope. You walked up to that podium for your post-game press conference after losing 37-25 to the Lions and you said the following:

“At the end of the game with Donovan, with a minute left and Rex knowing how to run that two-minute offense, I felt with the time and no timeouts he gave us the best chance to win in that scenario,” Shanahan said. “Just knowing the terminology of what we’ve done, how we’ve run it, it puts a lot of pressure on a quarterback that hasn’t been used to that terminology.”

Just to be sure there wasn’t any doubt where you stood on the issue, you followed that up with:

“What you have to do sometimes is you understand everything is sped up,” Shanahan said. “When you don’t have timeouts, it’s got to come automatic. You’ve got to call a couple plays at the line, a few plays at the line. When you go through this during the week [in practice], and you take a look at this type of atmosphere [during a game], I thought it was the best scenario to put him in there in that situation.”

And that was it. Before you even finished up your press conference and walked out of that room, an entire fanbase had turned on you. You’re a bright man who has dedicated his entire life to professional football, so there’s no reason to beat around the bush. I’m going to come right out and tell you that people’s feelings are hurt because McNabb is easily the best quarterback this franchise has had in 20 years. That’s not even up for debate.

Even though he’ll be 34 this month and he’s far from perfect, he’s still a borderline Hall of Famer and he’s still a far superior quarterback than Grossman.

But eight games after you traded away multiple draft picks to acquire McNabb, you benched him. And compounding matters, you didn’t even have the common courtesy to lie to us about the situation. Instead, you threw McNabb under the bus by saying he still doesn’t have the offense down and then you followed that up by suggesting he’s not smart enough to handle a two-minute drill with the game on the line.

I think we can both agree that this will not be remembered as your finest moment. But here’s what I don’t get – even if that’s truly how you feel, why on earth would you vocalize your opinion? Why bring unnecessary controversy into your life if you can avoid it?

And you know better. That’s the killer here.

Click here for the full article.

I was wondering how long it was going to take for the fanbase to start to turn on Shanahan. It doesn't shock me that it only took half a season.

Don't blame Redskins fans, blame Shanahan. This ain't Denver. People pay attention to everything you say here and care way too much about the burgundy and gold to let a dumb decision and an even dumber explanation of said decision go by unnoticed.

Good read Murf. Especially the part about giving up draft picks for a guy he benches, not 8 weeks into the season.

If we don't have three young, stud olinemen coming into next season I'm gonna die. I want them young, fast and filled with bad attitude. If he's already played a year in the NFL, he's he too ****ing old! (oops, so mad I almost forgot the astir thingys)

Ding ding ding.

It's funny how one decision can do that. Had he left McNabb in and the Redskins lose, the storyline becomes "how come the Redskins can't beat the bad teams".

Instead he opens up pandora's box, and now his entire regime is under fire. Everything he's ever done to this point, and the rest of the season will be about McNabb vs. Kyle and Mike.

Seriously, the overreaction is overwhelming. We played over our head for weeks, beat some good teams, and people wrongly started thinking playoffs. It's not happening. No one before the season thought we were going to make the playoffs, so are people acting like this is some sort of cataclysmic event? If someone had said we'd be 4-4 at the break, how many would have happily taken that? I was thinking more 2 - 6.

There is a dearth of talent on this team. This roster was so poorly managed by Snyderatto for years, it is going to take a LONG time to repair. Allen and Shannahan have done a fantastic job IN LESS THAN A YEAR putting together a competitive roster made up of spare parts, specifically Torain, Armstrong, and Banks. There are a number of holes. We need at least 3 OL, assuming Brown ever gets healthy again. Maybe Capers or Cook develop into something, maybe not. I am not sold on McNabb, but then again, he isn't exactly throwing to Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson now is he?

This team will get better. Let's give this current regime more than half of a season to do it.

Seriously, the overreaction is overwhelming. We played over our head for weeks, beat some good teams, and people wrongly started thinking playoffs. It's not happening. No one before the season thought we were going to make the playoffs, so are people acting like this is some sort of cataclysmic event? If someone had said we'd be 4-4 at the break, how many would have happily taken that? I was thinking more 2 - 6.

There is a dearth of talent on this team. This roster was so poorly managed by Snyderatto for years, it is going to take a LONG time to repair. Allen and Shannahan have done a fantastic job IN LESS THAN A YEAR putting together a competitive roster made up of spare parts, specifically Torain, Armstrong, and Banks. There are a number of holes. We need at least 3 OL, assuming Brown ever gets healthy again. Maybe Capers or Cook develop into something, maybe not. I am not sold on McNabb, but then again, he isn't exactly throwing to Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson now is he?

This team will get better. Let's give this current regime more than half of a season to do it.

I say again - the issue is not that he benched McNabb. It's everything that's come out of Shanahan's mouth since then. I said this was an 8-8 team before the season and I still believe that's where they'll end up. But all of the glowing praise and and the slobbering over the two-time Super Bowl winning coach is gone because he wasn't smart enough to lie to us like he did one week earlier.

Ding ding ding.

It's funny how one decision can do that. Had he left McNabb in and the Redskins lose, the storyline becomes "how come the Redskins can't beat the bad teams".

Instead he opens up pandora's box, and now his entire regime is under fire. Everything he's ever done to this point, and the rest of the season will be about McNabb vs. Kyle and Mike.

I have never liked Shanahan. He won fewer playoff games in Denvery over his 9 years without John Elway than Norv Turner won in Washington over 7. Remember we fired Norv.

Having said that, I think Shanahan has proven me wrong. He's taken us from pathetic to average in one short offseason. The skins are much more fun to watch and a much better team with Shanahan.

You can't debate that.

As for the McNabb thing I don't understand what the fuss is about. Shanahan has clearly and honestly explained exactly why he did it. The problem is the fans are all thinking his explaination was intended for their ears. IT wasn't. Shanahan doesn't care about the fans, he uses every opprotunity to communicate with his team and players and that is the perspective you have to listen to his comments from.

Why did he bench McNabb? His press conference is telling McNabb why. It's because he's been here for six months and he still doesn't know the nomenclature of the offense. It's because he doesn't practice. It's because his work habits are terrible from Shanahans' perspective; and Shannahan had no faith in him delivering the game. From shanahans perspective there was no down side to benching McNabb.

(1) We were going to loose anyway, McNabb wasn't getting it done before he got the hook. (2) Let's see what Rex has if anything. (3) Light a fire under McNabb and get him to understand there are consequences for dialing it in. You can do that when you are 10 years in the offense and playing at the all pro level. You can't do that when yhou don't know the offices and frankly are having the worst year of your career.

That was a completely stupid decision, I agree with.

But the reaction of this town is beyond laughable. I called in 106.7 last night asking what should be done now to Shanahan since "the honeymoon is over" and since he has "lost the fanbase"

Fire him? Tell him no more PCs? The Greg Blache treatment?

The thing is, I don't think he cares one bit. And neither do I, a win over Philly and we are division title/playoff/Superbowl bound again

Don't blame Redskins fans, blame Shanahan. This ain't Denver. People pay attention to everything you say here and care way too much about the burgundy and gold to let a dumb decision and an even dumber explanation of said decision go by unnoticed.

Oh, I don't blame fans for it. Personally, I've been critical of some of the decisions he's made before this time, but others have been giving him a free pass.

The problem is that this points out why trading for McNabb was a bad idea in the first place. By the time this roster gets into shape, McNabb was likely to be too old to have much of an effect on it. So, why give up two picks that you can use to help increase the talent level of the team when you can use an off-the-shelf QB as a caretaker while the parts get into place? The problem with trading for McNabb is that it suddenly increased expectations for this team. For better or worse, trading for him sent the message of wins now. In my mind, that sets up the fans for disappointment. Combine that with the trade for Brown, which he's really not looking much better than Heyer, and you wonder how far this sets the team back. We know how much Gibbs' trades in 2006 set us back, which left us with an aging roster.

I don't care as much for winning now if we can build a roster we can sustain. Trading away three picks doesn't do that.

I have to agree that what bothers me about this whole situation is what Shanny said after the fact.

I was upset that McNabb got pulled, but the coach made a decision, in this case a bad one, to try and win the game. McNabb better not feel bad over this, he brought it upon himself with his average play.

And, yes we gave up draft picks, but we did it to obtain what should be a good QB. McNabb has been disappointing so far. And, this is not a RB, WR or Oline player, this is a QB. A position that usually has a few years left at this age.

That said, I am not only disappointed about what the coach said I am a little surprised. All he had to say is the decision was his and he did it because he thought it would give the best chance to win. Good or bad, stick by the truth and move on. We could have posted critical threads like always, but in the end it would simply be Monday morning quarterbacking.

I say again - the issue is not that he benched McNabb. It's everything that's come out of Shanahan's mouth since then. I said this was an 8-8 team before the season and I still believe that's where they'll end up. But all of the glowing praise and and the slobbering over the two-time Super Bowl winning coach is gone because he wasn't smart enough to lie to us like he did one week earlier.

And I'll say again -- the overreaction is overwhelming. Shannahan, despite all he has done in a short time, is getting lambasted over one "bad game". This team is competitive in every game less than a year after being complete embarrassment in just about every game. I understand the "He's not Jim Zorn" argument. But I dare just about any other coach right now to win with this talent. It's not there.

This team is a work in progress and roasting Shanny at this point of the season is premature, and the typical run-around-scream-and-shout impatience that has typified the Synder Era.

Lie to us?? There is no obligation on his part to pull back the curtain on every decision he makes. We're not part of this team and are owed nothing. Maybe the head coach thinks that saying "I didn't trust Donovan and wanted to roll the dice to win the game" isn't all that PC and constructive for his starting QB.

I guess I don't understand why we suddenly feel entitled to know everything about the inner-workings of this organization. What did Gibbs reveal during interviews or press conferences back in the 1980s? Not much!

Lie to us?? There is no obligation on his part to pull back the curtain on every decision he makes. We're not part of this team and are owed nothing. Maybe the head coach thinks that saying "I didn't trust Donovan and wanted to roll the dice to win the game" isn't all that PC and constructive for his starting QB.

I guess I don't understand why we suddenly feel entitled to know everything about the inner-workings of this organization. What did Gibbs reveal during interviews or press conferences back in the 1980s? Not much!

My point is, when asked about the decision to not use safety Kareem Moore during much of the Bears game, Mike Shanahan lied to us and said it had to do with keeping Moore healthy through the bye week. Nevermind the fact that Moore sat out most of the first half and played in the second half, which would seem to contradict Shanahan's statement. He didn't want to reveal what was really going on (which I'm fine with) and that's the explanation he went with.

One week later, the biggest name on the team gets benched and every single person watching the game thought something along the lines of, "Hmmm. McNabb must be hurt or Shanahan must fear that awful offensive line is going to get him killed." So all Shanahan had to do was repeat the same lie he told one week earlier about protecting his injured players and none of this drama would be happening. Instead, he questioned McNabb's intelligence, conditioning and came across as wishy washy when he changed his story 24 hours after the fact and now the backlash is here.

Thank you murf! After seeing what went down in that 2 minute span and everything that's gone down since, we are all left here looking at our leader and general Mike Shanahan. Although I am still for Mike Shanahan and McNabb, "all" of us have noticed that there is a looming cloud over this entire staff that we call an ego. When thousands of people can see and notice something wrong, "it's because there's really a problem there to be noticed"

We are all starting too see players thrown under the bus, and some even dragged much more then they should have been. Joe Gibbs said it best through out his career and especially after a loss, it all starts up front with "me", and "to be able to change ones self for the good of the team". I know it's still early, but half way through this season none of us have seen any part of this coaching staff step up to the plate or even be held accountable for some of the things that's not going right.

The problem is that this points out why trading for McNabb was a bad idea in the first place. By the time this roster gets into shape, McNabb was likely to be too old to have much of an effect on it. So, why give up two picks that you can use to help increase the talent level of the team when you can use an off-the-shelf QB as a caretaker while the parts get into place? The problem with trading for McNabb is that it suddenly increased expectations for this team. For better or worse, trading for him sent the message of wins now. In my mind, that sets up the fans for disappointment. Combine that with the trade for Brown, which he's really not looking much better than Heyer, and you wonder how far this sets the team back. We know how much Gibbs' trades in 2006 set us back, which left us with an aging roster.

I don't care as much for winning now if we can build a roster we can sustain. Trading away three picks doesn't do that.

A little Monday morning quarterbacking. I do agree that the FO and HC put too much emphasis on winning now and not planning for the long term future. People criticize the McNabb and Brown trades because each has not performed to the level we expected. If Brown was healthy I am sure he would be playing better. McNabb is simply not playing as well as people expected.

Shanny and FO clearly didn't want to rebuild. However, I think you have to look at the other big picture. I think that had Bradford been available they would have taken him. They didn't think any other QB was worth the fourth pick. Also, you never know who will be available at your pick every year. You have to build your team around a quality QB. That is what every team needs and wants.

It is becoming clear we still need a QB, and numerous other players to be a playoff team. But, it still starts with the QB.

First of all I think McNabb is a huge upgrade over what we had at QB and four wins half way through the season after four all of last year is partly because of him. If Shanny is unhappy with McNabb practice habits the time and the place to air those differences are not in the last two minutes of game. You should have had that conversation already. Shanny has brought this much deserved criticism upon himself. I am not ready to "Schottenheimer" him because I do like having competent people in place to make decisions. This is proof that even competent people make poor decisions.

The honeymoon if not over is on it's last leg and I will not forget this even with a win over Philly. There are right and wrong ways to do things, and I for one don't think this was the way to handle the situation. We get already that he is the "boss", but didn't he already "prove" that with the way he handled the whole Albert situation? Was this necessary at this point in the season?:mad:

Maybe, maybe not. I am willing to give it more time. After last year, maybe I've been beat into a state of reasonableness. People are reacting here like we're 0-8. McNabb was benched against Baltimore in 2008 also, he responded quite well.

I'd say the honeymoon is definitely heading towards being over if it isn't already there. It's not sunshine and roses anymore, that's for sure.

Mort was just on Sportscenter saying that there's been a rift between Shanny and McNabb going back to training camp, that Kyle and Mike were talking about benching McNabb as early as the Philly game, don't like the tempo of which he practices and that while Shanny hasn't lost the locker room, everyone there likes McNabb.

Back when Shanny was hired and when they brought McNabb on, I bet none of us would have been expecting to hear reports such as this and McNabb getting benched with a chance to run the two minute offense.

You guys are funny.. This might be the most fickle fanbase in the NFL as well. Let's just make sure of one thing here. If you're gonna jump off now, don't get back on the Shanahan wagon. Make sure your stay on your side of the fence and don't come back over when the good times do come back around. No more feel good stories, no more praising, no more riding his jock! Stay on your side of the fence. It's perfectly fine that you guys have these negative opinions of Shanahan and I understand the negativity.. I do. But you know what, not everybody is perfect and sometimes decisions look great when thought out but might not be a great idea later. I'm giving him a mulligan, I'm not going to sit here and chastise him for yanking McNabb.

Everyone clamours for the coach that holds people accountable and makes difficult decisions.. once he makes a decision that isn't one of the best, everyone is jumping off like a bunch of fairweather fans. The guy went with his gut on a personnel decision if they were in a specifice gametime scenario. Right or wrong, the guy made a decision.. Why don't we as fans try something different for a change and start trusting your coach. The guy is revered as one of the best coaches in the league.. and we are going to **** all over him after week 8?

This is another thing that is funny, you guys get bitter at him benching McNabb. You act like McNabb is Darrell Green or Art Monk... McNabb has only been a Redskin for less than a year and everyone is up in arms over some guy who is a transplant at the moment. Hell majority of you guys/girls hated his guts in Philly! And now let's sit here and sob because he got benched? Give me a break! Just another example of how stupid this fan base is at times.

BTW, the entire fan base hasn't turned on Shanahan.. That's just your opinion Murf. Just make sure you keep writing negative pieces and please spare me with your positive pieces down the road. Because then, you will just be considered another fairweather fan.. in my opinion.

Archived