Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Honeymoon is over for Shanahan

themurf

My point is, when asked about the decision to not use safety Kareem Moore during much of the Bears game, Mike Shanahan lied to us and said it had to do with keeping Moore healthy through the bye week. Nevermind the fact that Moore sat out most of the first half and played in the second half, which would seem to contradict Shanahan's statement. He didn't want to reveal what was really going on (which I'm fine with) and that's the explanation he went with.

One week later, the biggest name on the team gets benched and every single person watching the game thought something along the lines of, "Hmmm. McNabb must be hurt or Shanahan must fear that awful offensive line is going to get him killed." So all Shanahan had to do was repeat the same lie he told one week earlier about protecting his injured players and none of this drama would be happening. Instead, he questioned McNabb's intelligence, conditioning and came across as wishy washy when he changed his story 24 hours after the fact and now the backlash is here.

It has bothered me for a while that even the players sometimes don't know what is going on. While Gibbs was a master at saying nothing with a lot of words, you never got the impression that he was holding back. The random last minute benchings seems odd to me. While the players seem to take it in stride right now, I wonder how long that is going to last.

A little Monday morning quarterbacking. I do agree that the FO and HC put too much emphasis on winning now and not planning for the long term future. People criticize the McNabb and Brown trades because each has not performed to the level we expected. If Brown was healthy I am sure he would be playing better. McNabb is simply not playing as well as people expected.

My problem with the McNabb trade had little to do with his current play, but the fact that there was a lot of work that needed to be done on the offensive side of the ball and that McNabb wasn't likely to be around to see the fruits of that labor. I gave McNabb 2-3 good years here before things fell apart. Unfortuantely, even my pessimism about the trade looks optimistic right now.

I was more optimistic about the Brown trade, but the caveat was if he was fully recovered. Given that he seems to have a hard time playing full games and when he's been in there he hasn't looked good, it really makes me wonder about his future. Once OL start to go, they rarely get back into form.

Given what we gave up, I sure hope I'm wrong about all of this, but it isn't looking good right now.

Shanny and FO clearly didn't want to rebuild. However, I think you have to look at the other big picture. I think that had Bradford been available they would have taken him. They didn't think any other QB was worth the fourth pick. Also, you never know who will be available at your pick every year. You have to build your team around a quality QB. That is what every team needs and wants.

It is becoming clear we still need a QB, and numerous other players to be a playoff team. But, it still starts with the QB.

No doubt. But, most reasonable observers would point out that building around McNabb is not a long-term solution. While it might have been likely that any QB that started this year wasn't going to be a long-term solution, we didn't need to give up two draft picks for that guy. It only really makes sense if you feel it is the missing piece for a playoff run. I didn't think we were remotely that team. Let Campbell or Grossman start a year and see if you can find your guy in next year's draft.

As for the McNabb thing I don't understand what the fuss is about. Shanahan has clearly and honestly explained exactly why he did it. The problem is the fans are all thinking his explaination was intended for their ears. IT wasn't. Shanahan doesn't care about the fans, he uses every opprotunity to communicate with his team and players and that is the perspective you have to listen to his comments from.

Why did he bench McNabb? His press conference is telling McNabb why. It's because he's been here for six months and he still doesn't know the nomenclature of the offense. It's because he doesn't practice. It's because his work habits are terrible from Shanahans' perspective; and Shannahan had no faith in him delivering the game. From shanahans perspective there was no down side to benching McNabb.

(1) We were going to loose anyway, McNabb wasn't getting it done before he got the hook. (2) Let's see what Rex has if anything. (3) Light a fire under McNabb and get him to understand there are consequences for dialing it in. You can do that when you are 10 years in the offense and playing at the all pro level. You can't do that when yhou don't know the offices and frankly are having the worst year of your career.

I understand what you are saying, and i can't say that i totally disagree over all. But i think the issue is: why give conflicting stories? Why couldn't he just stick to the original post-game explanation if need be. But why question his ability to grasp the playbook on Sunday and then pull out the injury problem on Monday. Stop trying to question my intelligence as a fan!

Now saying that, by no means am I saying that I've lost faith in Shanny that he can right the ship. But i'm more upset and disappointed that he would allow this situation to go in this direction. I think what he needs to do is be up front with the lockerroom, but esp with McNabb. Because at the end of the day, he spent 2 picks to get this man, plus who else is better this season or next season to take the helm. Answer, NO ONE...So, he better put his tail btwn his legs and make nice with McNabb and move on....

My point is, when asked about the decision to not use safety Kareem Moore during much of the Bears game, Mike Shanahan lied to us and said it had to do with keeping Moore healthy through the bye week. Nevermind the fact that Moore sat out most of the first half and played in the second half, which would seem to contradict Shanahan's statement. He didn't want to reveal what was really going on (which I'm fine with) and that's the explanation he went with.

It's obvious that your'e not fine with it.. or else you wouldn't be ****ing about it.

Everyone just has their feelings hurt. Especially the media who are not used to such a cold personality as Shanahan.

Joe Gibbs was your Grandfather. Everyone tried super hard and our fans were the best! ICE CREAM FOR EVERYONE!

Jim Zorn was your best friend who was a bit weird but was really nice. Hip Hip Hooooooooooooooray!

Mike Shanahan does not give a **** about you or what you think. In fact he would rather you don't speak to him at all.

That has a lot of people with hurt feelers in Redskins land.

Look, Shanahan does not give a **** what you think about him or what you think you know about football because you watch NFL Network, played some HS football, post ES or write a blog. He does what he thinks puts us in the best position to win. Right now we are 4-4, so the jury is still out.

But I would rather have this then back-to-back time outs, TJ Ducket, Adam Archuleta, Swing-Gate, etc.

Seriously, the overreaction is overwhelming. We played over our head for weeks, beat some good teams, and people wrongly started thinking playoffs. It's not happening. No one before the season thought we were going to make the playoffs, so are people acting like this is some sort of cataclysmic event? If someone had said we'd be 4-4 at the break, how many would have happily taken that? I was thinking more 2 - 6.

There is a dearth of talent on this team. This roster was so poorly managed by Snyderatto for years, it is going to take a LONG time to repair. Allen and Shannahan have done a fantastic job IN LESS THAN A YEAR putting together a competitive roster made up of spare parts, specifically Torain, Armstrong, and Banks. There are a number of holes. We need at least 3 OL, assuming Brown ever gets healthy again. Maybe Capers or Cook develop into something, maybe not. I am not sold on McNabb, but then again, he isn't exactly throwing to Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson now is he?

This team will get better. Let's give this current regime more than half of a season to do it.

I totally agree with this assessment, but Brian has a point worth chewing. Credibility is the issue here and Shannahan came here with the Cred for sure, but you can't say things like that and not be held accountable. His statements after the fact are just not making sense. McNabb gave the Redskins a better chance to win, even a guy like me could see that. The line play was horrendous, since when was Grossman a mobile impromtu QB? McNabb put the Redskins in position to win and then put the Redskins in position to lose, I think he was the guy to lead the team, not a cold, off the shelf career back up. Shannahan actually had an oppoutunity to gain some ground here, he could have simply said, "Hey, I tried something that I now regret, look who ain't perfect, forgive me."

The team was a 4-4 team on the upswing, but is now a 4-4 team whose identity is blurred.

This is another thing that is funny, you guys get bitter at him benching McNabb. You act like McNabb is Darrell Green or Art Monk... McNabb has only been a Redskin for less than a year and everyone is up in arms over some guy who is a transplant at the moment. Hell majority of you guys/girls hated his guts in Philly! And now let's sit here and sob because he got benched? Give me a break! Just another example of how stupid this fan base is at times.

BTW, the entire fan base hasn't turned on Shanahan.. That's just your opinion Murf. Just make sure you keep writing negative pieces and please spare me with your positive pieces down the road. Because then, you will just be considered another fairweather fan.. in my opinion.

From my column:

You see, this backlash you’re feeling right now isn’t about your decision to bench quarterback Donovan McNabb with less than two minutes remaining in a winnable game against the Detroit Lions. Folks around here (myself included) might think you’re insane for willingly allowing Rex Grossman into a game, but that’s your call.

In that moment you did what you thought was best for your football team, and while we might not agree with it, Redskins fans would have eventually let it go had you handled the situation properly.

Care to try again?

Someone was on Czabes show yesterday on 980 was saying that Shanny doesn't really talk to his players that much.

Cooley's comments about Shanahan watching everything via camera was kinda freaky. I guess it helps in keeping an eye on everything, but the personal touch isn't there.

who care if Shanny lies to us...is it his job to tell us all of the ins and outs so other teams can take advantage of us? He is going to tell us what he wants ..only info that he wants other teams to know...can ya blame him? .....as for benching McNabb...I hope it sends a message...that this team isn't cutting it...our players need to step up...that no ones job is safe for next year...that we need to win...and we need players who will step up to the plate...everyone on this roster...from a to z..including our best players...JMHO

Care to try again?

Let's be honest here Murf.. if Shanahan didn't bench McNabb.. you're still writing this column of yours? I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be the same.. And as I said, the entire fan base hasn't turned on Shanahan.. only people like you and the other media members who are bitter because he doesn't divulge every piece of information about his decision making or personnel decisions..

This entire piece sounds like a whiny ass kid who got his toys taken away from him.

So do you care to try again?

One week later, the biggest name on the team gets benched and every single person watching the game thought something along the lines of, "Hmmm. McNabb must be hurt or Shanahan must fear that awful offensive line is going to get him killed." So all Shanahan had to do was repeat the same lie he told one week earlier about protecting his injured players and none of this drama would be happening. Instead, he questioned McNabb's intelligence, conditioning and came across as wishy washy when he changed his story 24 hours after the fact and now the backlash is here.

But that's not what you said. Now, basically your gripe is that you'd have used a different story/lie. A few posts earlier, you were galled that he'd come to DC and lie to the fans/media.

Listen, he could have handled it better and, to be honest, I think he made several mistakes in the closing minutes of last week's game. But it's one game and I still think he deserves all the support and patience necessary to turn this team around. He's the most qualified person we've had here to bring us back to prominence in almost a decade.

Regardless of what some may say, ‘Skins fans knew the franchise wasn’t going to be overhauled overnight.

I do not think that could be anymore inaccurate ...

I hate to say it, but our fans for the most part are not that smart and did think that shanahan would walk on water and turn this team to a 9-7 or 10-6 playoff contender.

Mike Shanahan lied to us.

I am not sure why it is still so shocking that NFL coaches are liars. Some of ther best coaches of all time are the most two-faced people you will ever meet. Belichick, Parcells, Gruden, and yes, even Mike Shanahan. Did he go about it in a clumsy and unprofessional way? Sure. Is it shocking or surprising in the least bit? No.

The media's job is to report facts. When they can't get them, it hampers their ability to do their job effectively. But it is not the coaches job to be transparent and make sure the whole story is told. I remember years back when Czaban spazed out that Gibbs was twisting facts in regards to Lavar and Springs. I believe the quote was Gibbs is telling "outrageous lies." This is nothing new for this town, and it seems that the explanation has become a bigger issue to some than the actual decision, regardless of the real reason for the benching of McNabb.

Listen, he could have handled it better and, to be honest, I think he made several mistakes in the closing minutes of last week's game. But it's one game and I still think he deserves all the support and patience necessary to turn this team around. He's the most qualified person we've had here to bring us back to prominence in almost a decade.

Agreed. And on ESPN 980 I think he realized he had not handled the situation well. He made it clear that McNabb was his starter. That he wanted McNabb to be the starter next year. He thinks it is overblown and that their relationship is fine.

He 100% deserves our support.

Is there any evidence that he was lying about Moore? I never second-guessed that and thought Moore really did have some lingering issues with his knee which makes sense given he sprained or tore his MCL - that can happen with knee injuries (I've torn my ACL twice).

who care if Shanny lies to us...is it his job to tell us all of the ins and outs so other teams can take advantage of us? He is going to tell us what he wants ..only info that he wants other teams to know...can ya blame him? .....as for benching McNabb...I hope it sends a message...that this team isn't cutting it...our players need to step up...that no ones job is safe for next year...that we need to win...and we need players who will step up to the plate...everyone on this roster...from a to z..including our best players...JMHO

No, its not his job to tell us the ins and outs. Rather its an issue of integrity. If you are going to address an issue, just address it and move on. But why give conflicting information? That i don't understand.:

-One minute he can't grasp the 2-minute playbook. :rolleyes:...what ever.

-Now, he's out of shape and has hurt hamstrings.

-Oh BTW, Rex works hard and practices everyday....Huh?!

Let's be honest here Murf.. if Shanahan didn't bench McNabb.. you're still writing this column of yours? I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be the same.. And as I said, the entire fan base hasn't turned on Shanahan.. only people like you and the other media members who are bitter because he doesn't divulge every piece of information about his decision making or personnel decisions..

This entire piece sounds like a whiny ass kid who got his toys taken away from him.

So do you care to try again?

I'd agree that the entire fanbase hasn't turned on him...but I do believe the entire fanbase certainly raised an eyebrow and uttered a WTF when watching Grossman come into the game. It's definitely a catalyst to look at the McNabb/Shanny relationship and what's really going on. Mort's comments this morning were pretty sad and I don't think any of us here had any idea that there was a strain between McNabb and Shanny in camp.

Cooley's comments about Shanahan watching everything via camera was kinda freaky. I guess it helps in keeping an eye on everything, but the personal touch isn't there.

He set the same thing up in Denver and was praised for being meticulous. To be honest with you, I think a faction of our fan base has become spoiled with loose lips at Redskin Park and feels entitled to information that most other organizations don't leak out. The coach's job is to run the team and get the best results he can. Do you think fans in Boston have any clue what goes on behind closed doors with the Patriots? I'm sure they're OK trading that and accepting BB's deceit and stubbornness for the program he's built there.

Let's give Shanahan some time to establish his system and change this organization and see how it runs in a couple years.

But it's one game and I still think he deserves all the support and patience necessary to turn this team around. He's the most qualified person we've had here to bring us back to prominence in almost a decade.

Now this is the other side of the spectrum that i agree with. And IMO, for someone to think otherwise JUST based on this situation has lost thier mind.

I'd agree that the entire fanbase hasn't turned on him...but I do believe the entire fanbase certainly raised an eyebrow and uttered a WTF when watching Grossman come into the game. It's definitely a catalyst to look at the McNabb/Shanny relationship and what's really going on. Mort's comments this morning were pretty sad and I don't think any of us here had any idea that there was a strain between McNabb and Shanny in camp.

I agree 100% I'm not defending his decision making. I'm just defending the simple fact that the entire fan base hasn't turned on him. Yes, I even said WTF when I saw Grossman trotted out there.. But you know what? The guy had planned this out earlier in the week and went with his gut.. This wasn't a decision made in 2 seconds on a whim... It was plotted out, whether right or wrong.

The guy deserves an entire year before pieces like this come out saying "He lied to us" Sounds pathetic.

He set the same thing up in Denver and was praised for being meticulous. To be honest with you, I think a faction of our fan base has become spoiled with loose lips at Redskin Park and feels entitled to information that most other organizations don't leak out. The coach's job is to run the team and get the best results he can. Do you think fans in Boston have any clue what goes on behind closed doors with the Patriots? I'm sure they're OK trading that and accepting BB's deceit and stubbornness for the program he's built there.

Let's give Shanahan some time to establish his system and change this organization and see how it runs in a couple years.

Well said, that's the problem is people around here think they're entitled to know if the secretary busts ass at her desk, and if she was placed on IR or demoted to the practice sqaud. Who is going to replace her as secretary? Emily was just placed on waivers by Buffalo, maybe we can give her the vet minimum with incentives? :D

Excellent post. Thanks.

I still believe in Shanahan and Allen and will give them as many years as they need to turn this thing around but the chain of events and explanation were absurd. Had he just said, "Hey, I'm the coach and make the decisions around here. You reporters and fans have no effing clue what you are thinking..." I'd have more respect for the guy.

MS may be the most qualified HC we have had in awhile (less Joe Gibbs <bow>we are not worthy</bow>) but his handling of DM5 is piss poor. I know he needs to inflict his will on this team and it is his way or the highway. This was necessary on so many levels. We saw the problems that were allowed to happen in the past where the players walked all over the team management. BUT... c'mon. Be a man and tell the truth or at least give a reasonable, consistent, believable lie.

We have (had) faith in you Mike, it is time to and step up and repair this rift. DM5 is IMPORTANT to this team. I for one, want him signed and back next year!!! Trade Sexy Rexy! Hell, CB was better than he is.

Archived