Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The turnover numbers: a big reason our record is 3-3

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

so i've been hearing for weeks how jim hasletts defense gives up a ton of yards, and rightfully so. some people still seem to be more concerned about yards than points/turnovers, and turnovers is something our new staff is finally preaching, and it seems to be preached on offense as well. i listened to jaworski on the tony K show this morning and he had some real nice things to say about our defense, especially how well we did confusing manning early on in that game. he said our scheme looked great and had our DBs been able to catch, manning would have been picked off 3 times, maybe a 4th. but i wanted to look at our turnover numbers, lets take a look since 04 when gibbs came back, all the way to now.

giveaway: 27

takeaway: 26

net: -1

giveaway: 26

takeaway: 22

net: -4

giveaway: 15

takeaway: 12

net: -3

giveaway: 29

takeaway: 24

net: -5

giveaway: 18

takeaway: 18

net: 0

giveaway: 29

takeaway: 18

net: -11

giveaway: 6

takeaway: 11

net: +5

were currently 3rd in the NFC in turnover margin, 2nd in giveaways and 8th in takeaways. given how many plays rogers has been in position to make and botched, think of how many turnovers this defense could have produced by now, and how this scheme really does look like its working.

this is the first time we've been in the plus column on the turnover battle and i think its one of the biggest reasons we are playing tight good football games. it also goes to show how this coaching staff has guys mentally prepared to be in control of the football. aside from mcnabbs picks (which most have come on last effort passes or and endzone heave against the packers) moss is the only offensive player with a fumble.

if we can keep the turnover margin up, and get our DBs better at catching, this defense can be legit and really help this team moving forward.

People can say what they want about the defense, but the fact is we've been in every game with a chance to win.

Given that we're changing over everything that the team has resembled over the last decade, you can't expect more, especially with the level of opponents we've faced so far.

This is a good stat BLC. It tells a story.

~Bang

I agree and look at it like this... Take the Saints offense this year... Not alot of big plays, but they still rack up lots of yardage using the short passing game... When you look at our defensive numbers, we are allowing the same type of short passing plays vs. the big ones... So in essence POINTS and T.O's are what really matter... I'd rather give up 400 yds. of short passes and field goals instead of 20+ yard touchdowns all game long.

What was Haslett's MO coming into this season? Create more turnovers. We've done that. We would be at +10 or more if not for the dropped INT's.

The expectations that some people had for a defense changing schemes was not realistic at all. I accept that fact that we are a work in progress and to have a chance at the end of the game while trying to progress is a far cry from where we've been.

By the way. Did you know that the Cowboys have the 1st ranked offense and 2nd ranked dfenese "statistically" in the NFC? The Chargers have the number one defense and offense "statistically'" in the AFC?

How's that working for them stat geeks?

What was Haslett's MO coming into this season? Create more turnovers. We've done that. We would be at +10 or more if not for the dropped INT's.

The expectations that some people had for a defense changing schemes was not realistic at all. I except that fact that we are a work in progress and to have a chance at the end of the game while trying to progress is a far cry from where we've been.

also remember that we have a ton of guys still out of position or learning new positions, and yet this defense has still had multiple opportunities for turnovers. plus were just hitting harder and forcing more fumbles. turnovers are the key to winning football games. if you look at the leaders each year in turnover margin, the leaders are usually the contenders.

Interesting that this is the first year we've been in the + side in that long. That's hard to imagine. Here's to hoping it continues.

yeah, and the interesting thing is, we did not turn the ball over a particularly large amount in the past. for all of campbell's faults, he didn't reallly throw many INT's. it's just that our defense in recent years has been insanely poor at forcing turnovers. this is one welcome change, even if we are giving up tons of yardage.

On the glass half empty side of this, we have seen how bad this team looks when it loses the turnover battle (Rams), and if we have many more games like that this season could go downhill real fast. They are playing much better posession style football, but if the trend reverses we could be in for a very ugly second half of the season.

also remember that we have a ton of guys still out of position or learning new positions, and yet this defense has still had multiple opportunities for turnovers. plus were just hitting harder and forcing more fumbles. turnovers are the key to winning football games. if you look at the leaders each year in turnover margin, the leaders are usually the contenders.

You know what's funny BLC? We've been two of the biggest critics on ES when it comes to our 'skins. Why? Because we look at the big picture. Fantasy football has changed the mentality of the fan.

yeah, and the interesting thing is, we did not turn the ball over a particularly large amount in the past. for all of campbell's faults, he didn't reallly throw many INT's. it's just that our defense in recent years has been insanely poor at forcing turnovers. this is one welcome change, even if we are giving up tons of yardage.

Campell didn't turn the ball over, but he sure did give our punters plenty of work.

I'm loving that the opportunities are there to make plays, and it seems like everyone is hitting harder this year.

Now, If we could just capitalize on our turnovers, that would make me very happy.

There's nothing worse than watching us punt after a pick or a fumble recovery.

That drives me crazy.

We are slowly seeing turnovers can be huge. I hope those that supported Blache can start to see why some of us didnt like him.

Under the mantra that there is always room to improve, we need to start getting more heat on the QB. And hack the ball out when we do get there. That is always a huge play, maybe better than INT's. Upon recovering the fumble, there is often no one between us and the end zone. If they recover, its loss of down, loss of yards, the OC is scrambling, the QB picking himself up off the ground, his arm sore, pointing fingers and nervous. Carlos dropping an INT, they dont do anything different. Its just a loss of down. Take the ball out of Carlos's hands, so to speak.

Haslet can help make that happen by going tight man and making the QB hold the ball for an extra second, no one open.

Campell didn't turn the ball over, but he sure did give our punters plenty of work.

To a degree that's true. But, how many times did Campbell get sacked and lay the ball on the turf? I don't think McNabb's had a sack/fumble yet, and it really helps an offense.

Good thread. Turnovers are the true difference maker. If you give up tons of yards a game but are still stout in the red zone and create a lot of turnovers you're going to keep your team in most games. That's what we're seeing from this group and this defense is far from being complete, personnel-wise and even scheme-wise.

The expectations that some people had for a defense changing schemes was not realistic at all. I except that fact that we are a work in progress and to have a chance at the end of the game while trying to progress is a far cry from where we've been.

By the way. Did you know that the Cowboys have the 1st ranked offense and 2nd ranked dfenese "statistically" in the NFC? The Chargers have the number one defense and offense "statistically'" in the AFC?

How's that working for them stat geeks?

EXACTLY! All these stat guys wanna talk about us giving up alot of yards but we don't give up many points and create turnovers. Hence the reason we have been in every game so far this year. Meanwhile teams like the Cowboys & Chargers are among the top teams in terms of ypg given yet their records stink. Because they can't create turnovers. Dallas is near the bottom of the league in that category.

That's great, especially after last year.

I remember we started off pretty strong in turnover differential 2008, only to go backwards later in the year, which of course coincided with our record.

Yep, as I recall the wheels started to fall off that year during the game against the Rams.

Good thread, and it puts a smile on my face to see so many intelligent football comments. Overall, looking at that "Big Picture" as KG puts it, I am good with what I am seeing at this point and of course only want to see continued positive evolution. So far, it's a lot more "good" on D and O than "bad" and on D, takeaways and points scored are far more important to me than yards surrendered. I'm not dismissive how that stat and other stats can be very useful in guiding and identifying issues that may need to be addressed, just putting it into appropriate perspective.

McNabb has 5 of those turnovers on INTs. As he gets more comfortable in the offense and the players around him get more comfortable, that number shouldn't go much higher.

Yeah, and when you consider that at least 2 of those INTs were on last-second hail marys, we're doing extremely well.

Archived