Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The turnover numbers: a big reason our record is 3-3

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

People can say what they want about the defense, but the fact is we've been in every game with a chance to win.

Given that we're changing over everything that the team has resembled over the last decade, you can't expect more, especially with the level of opponents we've faced so far.

This is a good stat BLC. It tells a story.

~Bang

Well said Bang.

In the offseason so many fans were begging for a new defense. "Give us turnovers!" "We don't care about yards!"

Now it's "Fire Haslett!" "He gives up too many yards!"

We tried it the old way limiting yardage but not taking the ball away and we lost a lot of games. Now we're doing the opposite and winning and that isn't good enough. Sure we have a large amount of room to improve but look at our opponents thus far. Outside of St. Louis (who has looked surprisingly good) we've played some of the best offenses the NFL has to offer week after week. Our defense is doing exactly what we've asked it to do. We aren't going to have a Pittsburgh Steelers/Baltimore Ravens defense without their personnel. That's going to take a few seasons but we've got some good pieces in place. The glass is half full.

It's interesting to hear fans of other teams say our moderate success thus far has been the result of "luck" because of turnovers. I've never viewed fumbles and interceptions to be "luck," but rather forced actions.

Teams that win turnover battles win games, pure and simple. I wonder how many of these people who say we've been "lucky" because of turnovers would argue that the 2009 Redskins weren't in fact bad, but just "unlucky."

It's interesting to hear fans of other teams say our moderate success thus far has been the result of "luck" because of turnovers. I've never viewed fumbles and interceptions to be "luck," but rather forced actions.

Teams that win turnover battles win games, pure and simple. I wonder how many of these people who say we've been "lucky" because of turnovers would argue that the 2009 Redskins weren't in fact bad, but just "unlucky."

Inquiring minds would certainly want to know this as well.

While the record would be hard to dismiss, the overall perception would be one where could say "Not enough opportunities." While we've had good defenses for these past few years, we have not had the necessary play at the QB position for the defense to say "We have a chance if we get the ball back."

Now, the defense is playing more aggressively, not lights out, but more enthusiastic and under control at times.

This is the main focus of Haslet style defense. It's really the hallmark. That's why we despite giving up huge amounts of yards, the D is acceptable.

As far as the yardage goes, we have only a few players who fit in teh 3-4, being Landry, Hall and Orakpo. That's why I'm willing to stick with Haslett and give him time to get some younger, faster players, who can catch interceptions in here.

It goes to show that the way you win in the NFL is force turnovers on D and make big plays on O. Yardage on either side of the ball is secondary.

And at least one of those five picks was a hail mary into the end zone.

most of them have been 4th quarter picks on him trying to make big plays at the end.

hail mary in the GB game

deep to galloway in the colts game

deep to someone in the rams game

hes had 2 bad ones. slant against the colts shouldnt have been thrown, and that dying quail he threw in philly was bad as well. hes been great for us so far despite the low comp % and his lack of TDs (which i think will come at some point).

Well said Bang.

In the offseason so many fans were begging for a new defense. "Give us turnovers!" "We don't care about yards!"

Now it's "Fire Haslett!" "He gives up too many yards!"

We tried it the old way limiting yardage but not taking the ball away and we lost a lot of games. Now we're doing the opposite and winning and that isn't good enough. Sure we have a large amount of room to improve but look at our opponents thus far. Outside of St. Louis (who has looked surprisingly good) we've played some of the best offenses the NFL has to offer week after week. Our defense is doing exactly what we've asked it to do. We aren't going to have a Pittsburgh Steelers/Baltimore Ravens defense without their personnel. That's going to take a few seasons but we've got some good pieces in place. The glass is half full.

Yeah, I was about to say that ultimately we want to not give up points AND yards. It takes time to get to where the Steelers and Ravens are.

Also, the Saints won a SB last year by being opportunistic with the turnovers. They let up alot of yardage also.

also remember that we have a ton of guys still out of position or learning new positions, and yet this defense has still had multiple opportunities for turnovers. plus were just hitting harder and forcing more fumbles. turnovers are the key to winning football games. if you look at the leaders each year in turnover margin, the leaders are usually the contenders.

You won't find Ryman in here with facts like that being thrown around.

Got to say BLC I am glad you are enjoying your football enough again to post the positive thoughts and you are right the turnover battle is the reason we are 3-3 and had 22 held onto one or two more Ints this season could be better still.

But as far as stats go - meh ... makes good message board fodder but when it comes to football watching is best .

This D is better than anything I have seen bar a couple of games in 2004 and 2006 . I love the fact we are making the most of the players we have . Rogers, Landry, Carriker, Rak and Hall all seem to be good fits in this system . We may not have all the parts of a fantastic D but we have parts of a D which is actually scarry .

Got to say BLC I am glad you are enjoying your football enough again to post the positive thoughts and you are right the turnover battle is the reason we are 3-3 and had 22 held onto one or two more Ints this season could be better still.

But as far as stats go - meh ... makes good message board fodder but when it comes to football watching is best .

This D is better than anything I have seen bar a couple of games in 2004 and 2006 . I love the fact we are making the most of the players we have . Rogers, Landry, Carriker, Rak and Hall all seem to be good fits in this system . We may not have all the parts of a fantastic D but we have parts of a D which is actually scarry .

ive had two big gripes with this football team since 05, and both have been fixed. its definitely nice to see a good team on the field again with competent leadership at key areas. our next few drafts are going to be very important in terms of making or breaking this team. we've all been burned by vinny, so lets hope allen and shanny put on their thinking caps and get this team back to where it should be.

...By the way. Did you know that the Cowboys have the 1st ranked offense and 2nd ranked dfenese "statistically" in the NFC? The Chargers have the number one defense and offense "statistically'" in the AFC?

How's that working for them stat geeks?

As Public Relations Director of the Statgeeks Association, I'l like to point out that those NFL rankings are for dimwits who don't understand stats.

Though I'm certainly in the camp that yards are not the most important factor, I don't think we need to turn our nose up at the idea of improving (dramatically) in that department over the next year or two. Getting off the field and not giving up huge plays each week (along with adding players who fit the scheme) would go a long way toward turning this D from OK to good or great.

Archived