Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Wade Phillips: Cowboys are a better 1-4 team than other 1-4 teams

Sanders 83

Does anyone know if there's audio of this comment?

This would be golden for the Bang Carton radio Hour.

One of our favorite things to make fun of is the phrase "They're the best 1-4 team in the NFL" or whatever piss poor record they throw in ...

That is such a know-nothing nonsense phrase.. we love making fun of it when we hear it.. and since Wade has now said it... oh man, any audio???

~Bang

I can't believe they're 1-4 to be honest. They aren't playing that badly. Penalty flags are crushing them, not other teams. Don't get me wrong. I love watching the epic failure in the new "Palace in Dallas." I just can't wrap my mind around what I'm seeing.

That's what an undisciplined environment does. Takes the best teams on paper and turn them into...this.

Having said that, Jerruh...PLEASE extend Big Boy's contract!

I kind of feel bad for you TN41. You're a pretty realistic fan. You now know what we've been going through. But I can't say that I'm not enjoying the 1-4 start.

I can't either. They move the ball between the 20s, but turnovers and penalties doom them every time. You can march up and down the field, but if you can't finish, being ranked 3rd on offense or 4th on defense is a moot point.

For me, I think they're just reaping the seeds of what they've sowed with their sense of entitlement. Sure, most teams have their "overly-excitable" players (LANDRY), but the Cowboys as a whole have been the most annoying-to-watch pieces of entitled garbage in the entire NFL. This isn't coming from just a Redskins fan, this is coming from a football fan. The Pats have been close over the years, but I've never seen a group of players who haven't accomplished anything recent in the past 10-15 years act like that.

For me, I think they're just reaping the seeds of what they've sowed with their sense of entitlement. Sure, most teams have their "overly-excitable" players (LANDRY), but the Cowboys as a whole have been the most annoying-to-watch pieces of entitled garbage in the entire NFL. This isn't coming from just a Redskins fan, this is coming from a football fan. The Pats have been close over the years, but I've never seen a group of players who haven't accomplished anything recent in the past 10-15 years act like that.

Seriously. The Marion Barber celebrations are maddening. He acts like he just scored a game sealing touchdown after plowing through the entire defense when in reality he just gained 4 yards...and didn't even get the first. Give me a break.

I can agree with that too, DMH28

How far into the season do we go before we see a half empty Cow Palace on tv? Man, that'll be good times for us when we head there in December. I'll probably be able to get some great tickets for next to nothing.

:ols: One can only hope.

The fans will start going into their closets and grabbing their Jets/Ravens/Pats/whatever team looks best at the time jerseys.

what scares me the most is the cowboys are just suffering from awful coaching and playcalling. they are still one hell of a talented team. its gonna suck badly if they tank this season, have a sick draft with a top ten pick next year, and bring in a competent staff *coughcowhercough* and playcaller and just murder people next year.

i am enjoying their failures this year. phillips is the current version of zorn.

I wonder how many years people can keep calling them "one hell of a talented team" without them doing a damn thing before people start realizing, they're not that talented.

And Cowher coaching under Jerry? Ain't gonna happen.

I wonder how many years people can keep calling them "one hell of a talented team" without them doing a damn thing before people start realizing, they're not that talented.

And Cowher coaching under Jerry? Ain't gonna happen.

There's a lot of talent on that team.

Stupid, disorganized, undisciplined talent. Not at every position, and not at some very important positions (like O-line) but they do have some stars on the team.

There's a lot of talent on that team.

Stupid, disorganized, undisciplined talent. Not at every position, and not at some very important positions (like O-line) but they do have some stars on the team.

So does every team in the league. They certainly haven't distingushed themselves to now.

So does every team in the league. They certainly haven't distingushed themselves to now.

Yes and no.

There are some teams where there's a real dearth of talent. I honestly believe the Cowboys have the talent to be a contender whereas teams like the Bills, Niners, Jags and Raiders do not.

If they somehow got their **** together I'd be concerned, but that doesn't seem to be likely :ols:

what scares me the most is the cowboys are just suffering from awful coaching and playcalling. they are still one hell of a talented team. its gonna suck badly if they tank this season, have a sick draft with a top ten pick next year, and bring in a competent staff *coughcowhercough* and playcaller and just murder people next year.

i am enjoying their failures this year. phillips is the current version of zorn.

Do you think Cowher would come in with all of Jerruh's "help"?

I think this MNF game coming up againt GMen decides the rest of their season. Some have already written them off including their own fans but if they come out and win this week they could turn it around. NFCE teams have not played head to head yet except for redskins. Dallas I think can still turn it around but has a tough road ahead of them. Besides us playing the Eagles and Cowboys, nobody else has faced each other in the NFCE.

Looking at the NFCE opponents who have a winning record it appears the Cowgirls have the toughest schedule remaining.

Dallas against teams with winning record - 7 ( NYG, NYG, N.O., Indy, Philly, AZ, Philly)

NYG against teams with winning record - 3 (SEA, Philly, Philly)

Philly against teams with winning record - 6 (Tenn, Indy, NYG, CHI, Hou, NYG)

Wash against teams with winning record -5 ( CHI, Philly, Tenn, NYG, NYG)

Obviously it is still early in the season but looking at the remianing schedule the NYG can come out of this with the division.

They are suffering from a lot of the same things we have suffered from over the years. The coach is not the last word and that is a recipe for disaster. And do they really have all this talent? Their offensive line is a mess for many of the same reasons ours is. Their defensive line is non-descript other than Ratliff. Ware is a stud and I like James but Brooking isn't the player he was and Spencer is a work in progress. The corners are pretty good although Jenkins is inconsistent as hell and their safeties are terrible. All in all I'd say we are just as talented on D if you look at it closely.

On offense they have some talent but it's mostly perceived as being much more than it is. You can only play one RB at a time and even then they are only averaging 4.0 ypc. At WR they have Austin who is very good. Williams is extremely overrated and I think everyone is coming to realize that. Bryant may end up being a good pick but he's not there yet. Witten is obviously very good but I think in the end when you compare position by position they aren't in much better shape than we are if at all.

Agreed on all counts. Dallas has got a ton of good players for the future and none of them are playing "poorly" right now. Their o-line play and lack of discipline are the 2 things holding them back... and I'm loving it. I know it's only temporary though. They'll get it together this season at some point and play spoiler for a few teams, maybe even go on a winning streak at the home stretch to steal a wild card.

You tell em Wade!!! lol... I think your "special" too...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/wade-phillips-cowboys-are-a-better-1-4-team-than-other-1-4-teams/

"I guess we think we're a better 1-4 team than some teams that are 1-4," Phillips said. "I mean mentally. They don't think they might not win the next game. Gosh, we might not win this next one. This team thinks . . . I still think they think they're going to win this next game."

There actually aren't any other 1-4 teams in the NFL right now, so I'm not sure which teams Phillips is referring to when he says "some teams that are 1-4." But Phillips' phrasing is interesting: He says the Cowboys think of themselves as a good team, even if their record is 1-4.

:dallasuck:dallasuck

:ols: This season has been very fun so far. One of the funniest seasons in recent memory.

Agreed on all counts. Dallas has got a ton of good players for the future and none of them are playing "poorly" right now. Their o-line play and lack of discipline are the 2 things holding them back... and I'm loving it. I know it's only temporary though. They'll get it together this season at some point and play spoiler for a few teams, maybe even go on a winning streak at the home stretch to steal a wild card.

Here's to hoping that Jerruh is dumb enough to make 1 of 2 mistakes.

1) He keeps Wade & Romo sits to pee on because he blames the refs all year & think they are being unfairly treated, or

2) He realizes that the team is playing poorly & decides to revamp the whole team, ridding himself of everyone he can & dumping them around the League for money & Twinkies.

Archived