Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Accutane

MissU28

I didn't know they were even still prescribing it...I took it in high school.. made me breakout hardcore for about a month, but since then it's kept me pretty clean going on 13 years or so, a pimple here and there. Ever since taking it though, I have had alot of gastrointestinal issues, probably crohns. I've also been dealing with depression since then as well. I've been thinking about getting involved in the lawsuit or whatever but don't know where to begin. For me, I wish I didn't take it.

I've have several friends who have used Accutane at one point or anothe during their lives. Fortunately, the pimple fairy never screwed me over and I never had to worry about that stuff.

The main thing, as has been mentioned before is that you have to ensure that you do not get pregnant during this time. Accutance is a teratogen and will harm the baby.

So, if you are not planning to get pregnant, I say give the Accutane a shot and see how it responds to you body. :D Good luck girlie!

I took it in high school. It definitely had great results for clearing up the acne. The side effects were pretty bad for me. I didn't finish the treatment. My lips got dry to the point that chapstick hardly helped. I ran track in high school and my knees really started to hurt when I practiced, so I had to take some time off. Mentally, it definitely threw me off a bit. My stress and anxiety levels seemed to go up from taking it.

It seems like the level of side effects are different for everyone. If you have really had issues with other treatments, you should definitely look into it. Research as much as you can before making the decision.

I wouldn't take it. Not just because of the commercials. But there was an entire Dateline show devoted to this overly potent drug. The risks to your health far outweigh the benefit of curing some acne. And you said yours wasn't serious, so I definitely pass on this drug. It should be taken as a last resort.

I might have you mistaken for someone else, but aren't you really big into alternative medicine and lobbying against big pharmaceutical companies?

I took Accutane for about 5 months in between my junior and senior year of high school. I didn't have the red acne bumps all over my face, but I would get terrible breakouts of persistent whiteheads in my lower face (around the mouth, nose, etc.), and I had some acne on my shoulders and chest, all of which typically means that I got sort of screwed in the gene pool and it would likely be a consistent problem for me for many years going forward. I had tried medical strength face wash and ointments, but it just wasn't getting the job done, so my dermatologist suggested that I go on a cycle of Accutane to try and head it off before I got any older.

From May, when I started, to about late June, my acne didn't really improve, but by the end of July my face was almost entirely clear and now 5 years later I rarely ever get any acne at all and my face and skin is about as clear as possible. My parents were worried about the depression side-effects but I honestly felt great since I could see my annoying acne issues going away.

A good friend of mine in high school, who had much worse acne than me, took it at the same time and he also had excellent results.

The only real downside was how badly it dried my lips out all the time, and since then I've been in an obsessive habit of carrying chapstick on me almost all the time, but that's obviously not bad at all for a long-term side-effect.

I have severe cystic acne all over my arms, shoulders, a good portion of my back, my neck, etc. The stuff on my face can be controlled, the other stuff can't and it hurts too. I took accutane in high school. It was rough, I hated it, and a few months after I stopped taking it, the acne returned just like it was before I started. It is apparently rare that something like that happens but honestly, with the dried lips and everything, the horrible uncontrollable rage/mood swings, and the blood tests every month I would gladly have acne on my shoulders instead.

I hate accutane.

ugh. I forgot about the blood tests. I never had any issues with needles until I was on accutane. After awhile, I just dreaded it.

And yeah, I remember having terribly chapped lips while on it.

I went through bad depression too which we found out after the fact was due to the drug.

But after all was said and done, the acne was cleared up. I only got cystic acne on my shouldblades and very rarely on my neck. My face was fine other than the typical acne around the mouth. I don't think I had acne too bad as a teen, other than my back.

I would not think about taking this drug. People are clearly stating the risk of pregnancy, but what about the risk to your own health?

Why would you knowingly put yourself at risk of chronic disease? Roche has awarded 33 Million in lawsuits directly related to bowel disease claims. No. I would not use it.

I went on Accutane in high school, after trying literally everything else out there. It did absolute wonders for my acne and Ive never had an issue since. It did give me the usual side effects (easily sunburned, REALLY dry lips, occasional nose bleeds) but none of the mental issues or bowel issues. The only thing that did it do negatively for me was to mess up my triglycerides (fat lipids someone else mentioned earlier). I had to get my blood checked even more than the usual once a month. That came back down some afterwards, but has always been somewhat higher than usual since. Would they always have been higher for me anyway? I dont know.

Either way, my positives easily outweighed my negatives, so Im very happy that I took it. YMMV.

I took Accutane for 2 1/2 very uncomfortable years. But it worked.

It dries you out like you have no idea.

And your acne will be really bad for the first 2-3 months.

You have to be mistaken this for another drug.

Accutane would NEVER be perscribed for 2.5 years!

You have to be mistaken this for another drug.

Accutane would NEVER be perscribed for 2.5 years!

yeah. I was on a few different ones until we tried Accutane.

I think the accutane was slightly over a year.

this was 15 years ago and it's all a blur to me now.

Thank you to those of you who HAVE taken it for your response. I have been reading up on it and going to message boards to see what other people's side effects have been. For those of you judging me and others for taking this pill because we are putting or have put something "toxic" into our bodies, you're not helping. Obviously I know the side effects. Obviously I know there are risks. Obviously I have researched these side effects and I am taking this drug as a last resort. I did not make this decision easily. I am not a risk-taker, so this is big for me.

So MissU28 - Lets recap.

All those who have actually taken it - Great results! Little side effect, Highly recomended.

Those that DIDN'T take it - Have their own thoughts.

BTW - I saw in the OP you said you would only take it for 4 months or so. If I remember correctly -it's a 6 month treatment program that is HIGHLY recomended you take for the whole 6 months. Otherwise you risk the acne coming back.

I'm not sure what my derm said at the beginning- I think a full course is 5 months? I'll be taking it for a full course. I just forgot how long it is.

I went on accutane twice for 8 months and another 8 months. Mine was for mostly bacne but still some face. I'm completely clear. My derm was very aggressive as I took 100mg for 6 months and 120mg for the remaining 2. For the people commenting who never took it, just shutup. Acne runs in my family, I had 6 cousins use it and I was the last. Theres was severe, mine was very mild but given the background I was put on it. I watched my cousins/brother so depressed due to acne it was ruining there lives and mine too. I couldn't take my shirt off cause it was World War III and the ones I got on my face when I did, were enormous and always popped up in situations where I prayed it didnt.. It sucks. I was depressed a good portion of my life cause of acne. My brother, cousins, myself have never been happier. Completely changed all of our lives. It's a miracle drug when your sick of using stupid cleaners, and **** at nighttime. I wash with soap now and probably could use one hand to count how many pimples I get on a monthly basis. I admit I developed a SLIGHT anxiety order, but completely went away after 6 months of being off it. Never lost hair, had a few days of joint pain, dry lips of course, no dry skin thank god, flushed face. Other than that, Thank you accutane.

I am the rarity that actually took two cycles of it in high school, pretty sure 6 months at a time with like 3 or 6 months in between. I'll say this, the **** clears up your acne, but I'm pretty sure it's like chemotherapy in that it clears it up by poisoning you horrendously. I know the experience isn't universal, but I personally experienced crushing depression, wild mood swings, horrible bone, muscle, and skin aches, and the worst dehydration you can possible have without dying. While at least some of that can simply be attributed to puberty, none of that was ever really a problem until Accutane. The stuff is radioactive.

My skin is pretty good now though. And no side effects that I know of since I stopped it. I'd do it again, and I'd definite recommend it as a last resort, but with the warning that there's a good chance your life will totally suck for awhile.

Edit: apparently two cycles isn't THAT rare, but at the time I remember the doctor saying she usually didn't like to prescribe it twice

I am the rarity that actually took two cycles of it in high school, pretty sure 6 months at a time with like 3 or 6 months in between. I'll say this, the **** clears up your acne, but I'm pretty sure it's like chemotherapy in that it clears it up by poisoning you horrendously. I know the experience isn't universal, but I personally experienced crushing depression, wild mood swings, horrible bone, muscle, and skin aches, and the worst dehydration you can possible have without dying. While at least some of that can simply be attributed to puberty, none of that was ever really a problem until Accutane. The stuff is radioactive.

My skin is pretty good now though. And no side effects that I know of since I stopped it. I'd do it again, and I'd definite recommend it as a last resort, but with the warning that there's a good chance your life will totally suck for awhile.

Edit: apparently two cycles isn't THAT rare, but at the time I remember the doctor saying she usually didn't like to prescribe it twice

How long before you started to get your side effects? Were you at all depressed before you started? Does depression run in your family?

Robin - I took it for a while when I was around 19-20. Never had an issue with my skin and then woke up one morning to find my skin had changed overnight. I started to develop under the skin pimples and my T-zone went a little crazy .... Tried all of the topical solutions and nothing worked. Finally was talked into taking Accutane. I was required to take a blood test and a urine test to determine that I was healthy and was not pregnant.

I don't remember too many horrible negative things about the medicine other than the side effects and the blood tests. I was required to take a blood test every few weeks which wasn't bad in my opinion - needles don't scare me and I donate blood regularly. What the others have said is pretty true - the medicine dries you out hardcore. Make sure that you have lotion with you at all times. I actually started carrying around Vaseline with me - I put it on my lips and I would use it as a hand moisturizer. As a result of my skin being dried out, I would get nosebleeds on a pretty regular basis. Neosporin ... I know it sounds strange - but put it on a cotton swab and line the inside of your nostrils each night before you go to bed. It will help keep the inside of your nose moisturized. And you will be dehydrated so make sure that you learn to drink plenty of water.

It's been about ten years and I do not have any acne issues at all. If I get a pimple these days it is a very, very, very small pimple and I only get it once a month as an indicator that I'm about to start my cycle. It's always in the same spot and it is the only pimple that ever pops up on my face.

Accutane was worth it for me but it's definitely no joke. Just pay attention to the side effects and note any major changes to your mood or body. If you have any questions let me know!

I got side effects pretty much immediately, but I'm kind of a hypochondriac so having known the potential side effects going in, some of it could've been psychosomatic. I had some history of mild depression going in, but nothing like on the Accutane. Again though, it did coincide with the peak of puberty, so who knows what caused what? I know it contributed considerably. Everyone is different though. You're older than I was, and I've always kind of had a ****ty immune system or whatever generally fights off feeling like crap, so I doubt your experience would be as bad. You're a woman though, so there are also different sets of side effects to consider. It's a tough call, as with any life decision, you just have to weigh how important it is compared to the potential negative effects.

Robin - I took it for a while when I was around 19-20. Never had an issue with my skin and then woke up one morning to find my skin had changed overnight. I started to develop under the skin pimples and my T-zone went a little crazy .... Tried all of the topical solutions and nothing worked. Finally was talked into taking Accutane. I was required to take a blood test and a urine test to determine that I was healthy and was not pregnant.

I don't remember too many horrible negative things about the medicine other than the side effects and the blood tests. I was required to take a blood test every few weeks which wasn't bad in my opinion - needles don't scare me and I donate blood regularly. What the others have said is pretty true - the medicine dries you out hardcore. Make sure that you have lotion with you at all times. I actually started carrying around Vaseline with me - I put it on my lips and I would use it as a hand moisturizer. As a result of my skin being dried out, I would get nosebleeds on a pretty regular basis. Neosporin ... I know it sounds strange - but put it on a cotton swab and line the inside of your nostrils each night before you go to bed. It will help keep the inside of your nose moisturized. And you will be dehydrated so make sure that you learn to drink plenty of water.

It's been about ten years and I do not have any acne issues at all. If I get a pimple these days it is a very, very, very small pimple and I only get it once a month as an indicator that I'm about to start my cycle. It's always in the same spot and it is the only pimple that ever pops up on my face.

Accutane was worth it for me but it's definitely no joke. Just pay attention to the side effects and note any major changes to your mood or body. If you have any questions let me know!

Thanks, Candace! I'm well aware of the dryness that can and will occur, so I've stocked up on all the recommended moisturizers and lip stuff (aquaphor). I've also bought big things of water to carry with me everywhere.

I'll keep that Neosporin tip in mind if I start getting nosebleeds.

I got side effects pretty much immediately, but I'm kind of a hypochondriac so having known the potential side effects going in, some of it could've been psychosomatic. I had some history of mild depression going in, but nothing like on the Accutane. Again though, it did coincide with the peak of puberty, so who knows what caused what? I know it contributed considerably. Everyone is different though. You're older than I was, and I've always kind of had a ****ty immune system or whatever generally fights off feeling like crap, so I doubt your experience would be as bad. You're a woman though, so there are also different sets of side effects to consider. It's a tough call, as with any life decision, you just have to weigh how important it is compared to the potential negative effects.

It's been almost a week and so far I can feel my lips getting dry and I think I've started my "initial breakout." I have noticed a little irritability, but I don't know if it's the medicine or just because my students are aggravating me!! I also have a pretty good immune system, and I don't think I've ever gotten side effects from medicine, aside from feeling nauseous when I had my antibiotics without food. I'm hoping to skate through this 5 months with dry skin and lips. I'm sure I'll be sensitive to the sun as well, so thankfully it's fall and I have no reason to go to the beach. If I get sore joints, that's no big deal to me.

I have no history of depression, and I've already told my boyfriend that if I start acting weird or anti-social, to make me aware of it.

The no alcohol thing isn't a problem, either. I rarely drink anymore, so 5 months without alcohol will be no sweat.

Honestly, the biggest thing I'm worried about (well, aside from the obvious SERIOUS side effects that could possibly happen), is cholesterol level. My total cholesterol as of my first blood test was 160 (below 200 is in the desirable level) and my triglycerides were 75 (less than 150 is considered normal). I'm scared that those numbers could be significantly higher at my next blood test. I know that Accutane messes with your cholesterol. I did hear that levels should return to normal after treatment. My doctor did tell me to eat extra vegetables during this process.

Honestly, the biggest thing I'm worried about (well, aside from the obvious SERIOUS side effects that could possibly happen), is cholesterol level. My total cholesterol as of my first blood test was 160 (below 200 is in the desirable level) and my triglycerides were 75 (less than 150 is considered normal). I'm scared that those numbers could be significantly higher at my next blood test. I know that Accutane messes with your cholesterol. I did hear that levels should return to normal after treatment. My doctor did tell me to eat extra vegetables during this process.

Watch how depressed you get also. I couldn't believe how much it changed me in that regard.

I think people who decide they're automatically against Accutane, just because of possible medical risks, don't fully grasp how debilitating severe acne can be for people.

It's definitely a very strong medicine that preferably comes after trying other treatments first and even then, requires some serious thought before starting a cycle of it, but for a lot of people with serious acne issues, a few months of enduring the medicine is worth it when extremely clear skin is the end result.

Archived