Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Accutane

MissU28

i took it too, in HS. everyone's already mentioned the basic stuff, so i don't have much to add. no depression, no mood swings, no anxiety for me. my GI track is a little funky now, but that started up LONG after accutane. i'm glad i took it... still acne free other than a few random pimples now and again.

good luck... the dryness is a pain in the ass, but a small price to pay. (the neosporin trick is money... i forgot i did that until candace mentioned it)

I

Why would you knowingly put yourself at risk of chronic disease? Roche has awarded 33 Million in lawsuits directly related to bowel disease claims. No. I would not use it.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Juries are notoriously scientifically illiterate, and after Dow Corning got burned, many companies will settle dangerous looking cases rather than taking the risk that the wrong heart string will be pulled.

For the record, my wife took it, and it worked wonders for her.

I think the description of it being a nuke for acne is appropriate, though... it's not something to take lightly.

Honestly, the biggest thing I'm worried about (well, aside from the obvious SERIOUS side effects that could possibly happen), is cholesterol level. My total cholesterol as of my first blood test was 160 (below 200 is in the desirable level) and my triglycerides were 75 (less than 150 is considered normal). I'm scared that those numbers could be significantly higher at my next blood test. I know that Accutane messes with your cholesterol. I did hear that levels should return to normal after treatment. My doctor did tell me to eat extra vegetables during this process.

Yup, those numbers will sky rocket, in my case to absurd numbers, but my doc was never concerned about it.

They quickly returned to normal afterwards.

Keep a good diet and watch what you will eat and you'll be fine.

Thinking back actually to the first time I took it (spring-summer 2002) I did experience some of that "feeling blue" mild depression. I am more apt to chalk it up to a 20 year old rising college junior having girl troubles (meaning lack of girls) at the time, but I do remember some up and down mood swings

• 2 weeks later...
Yup, those numbers will sky rocket, in my case to absurd numbers, but my doc was never concerned about it.

They quickly returned to normal afterwards.

Keep a good diet and watch what you will eat and you'll be fine.

Just got my first lab results back. My cholesterol (total) went from 160 to 180 and my triglycerides went from 75 to 80.

I'm on week 3, and my only side effect is slightly chapped lips. My skin isn't too dry yet- it is flaky on some days, but I'm still getting oil.

I did a hard workout today, and I wanted to see if I would get sore joints, which I read was a side effect. I did deadlifts and squats and abs, and even after that, my muscles and joints are feeling fine.

I meet with the Dr. on Monday for a check-up. I'm wondering if he'll up my dosage since I'm responding well.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys. Ive read through th thread here and just wondering on if there any updates from anyone who posted on this.

Little about my situation. Ive had what I called moderate to serious acne for some time now. Im 22 years old and have seemed to tried it all. All different kinds of washes, creams, diets, extreme cleaning of bed sheets Towels on pillows. You name I have done it for the most part. I have not, however, taken any medication. I consider my skin as very sensitive yet very durable and has the ability to grow a natural defense against things. For example, the first time I tried proactive, the product wonderfully but left my skins raw, red, and dry. Over the say the 3-5 week of using the product both the skin ailments from Proactive that were irritating and annoying began to fade away but a week or so following the I noticed my acne flaring back up. I never went down from my 2 times a day regiment I followed religiously and was just dumbfounded as to why it would stop working in what seemed like out of the blue. As I jumped from product to product. Wash to Wash. Cream to cream the same problem occurred with red dry skin but the acne fading with X period of time down the line symptoms went away acne came back.

I visit a dermatologist the second week of October and was hopeful some one might have some insight as to Accutane possibly having the same problems.

My brother took it for I think 6 months. His face started peeling, and he got a sore lower back from it (I guess that's a side effect??). However, he used to have the worst acne ever, now his face is pretty clear. It was worth it for him, as his face was painful before, but the side effects are pretty powerful.

I looked like one of the ads they had as a kid. I almost took this stuff, but was too scared of taking meds. Good thing, they run some ads for lawyers in the afternoon about it now. :ols:

I changed my diet. Zero dairy on the suggestion of a friend, no processed foods, it went away in a few months and I use to get whiteheads the size of dimes. It was like wearing a mask.

Horrible acne has a teen. Also tried everything. Then I went on Accutane, took it for about six months iirc and outside of the occasional pimple, never had acne problems again. Really was a miracle drug in my case. The one side effect I had was that it dried the hell out of my skin. Flaked off everywhere. But after about the third week or so, that stopped. Highly recommend it.

I took it when I was in high school but didn't finish the full 6 months. I was running track at the time and my knees were killing me when I ran. That stuff made it feel like my whole body was dried out. My lips peeled to the point that chapstick wasn't much of a help. I still get some acne but it isn't much at all. It definitely does wonders for clearing your acne problem for the long haul. Just be prepared for possible uncomfortable side effects. I am not sure if it is normal for the use of Accutane, but they tested my blood a couple times when I taking it.

Yeah I have heard the first 2-4 weeks your face just explodes.

Will the doctor recommend it at first or try you on other stuff first or can I ask for it right off the bat ?

I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who got fixed up by other stuff. It's either Accutane or Proactive. Maybe doctors push the other ones first to cover their asses in case something goes bad with the Accutane. idk. I definitely went through a couple of other things before the Accutane that did nothing for me. I'd advise going straight to Accuatane

The only thing I am concerned for is my mother had some problems with it about 10 years ago. Given A) Women B) Menopausal to begin with C) Older still has some red flags. I also have only one kidney and was curious as to how this might affect the product. Im hopeful that due to me having to drink a gallon or so of fluids a day will combat the dryness.

The only thing I am concerned for is my mother had some problems with it about 10 years ago. Given A) Women B) Menopausal to begin with C) Older still has some red flags. I also have only one kidney and was curious as to how this might affect the product. Im hopeful that due to me having to drink a gallon or so of fluids a day will combat the dryness.

I would seriously try giving up all dairy, meat and fish from restaurants and grocery stores and any processed food and any drink except water for a month and see what happens.

I would seriously try giving up all dairy, meat and fish from restaurants and grocery stores and any processed food and any drink except water for a month and see what happens.

I cant cut it out completly(too much of my diet and I am finding more and more Fruits and Vegtables are causing what seems like allergic reactions (Itchy throat and puffy lips)) but I have cut back on all Sodas and Fast food by about 50% over the past few months and candy completly out of my diet outside the occasional Snickers Bar at work to last until lunch or dinner. I had little to no change after the switch.

At home my step mother is a huge health nut. 0 cookies chips sodas juices gatoraid. Nothing like that at all. Milk and water is the only thing I drink at home and the only snacks I eat is popcorn

Skin problems are a **** to live with and treat. I've had severe eczema my entire life and asthma. The medications only made things worse - much worse. Just be aware of the risks. All drugs obviously have side effects and sometimes they're worse than the condition you're treating. If I were going to take Accutane, one of the things I would ask my doctor about is the risk of infection and the effect the medication has on your immune function. This is a huge problem with medications for asthma and eczema.

Actually, one of the best things that's worked for my eczema is anabolic steriods. Simply amazing effect. It's worth asking your doctor about especially if you're in your mid 30's and older. Testosterone works great for the condition from personal experience and your doc may be open to prescribing a low weekly dose to help manage it.

My face is CLEAR!!!! Accutane definitely worked for me. I did it for 5 months- started a 6th, but my lips were getting way too chapped and my nose was starting to get irritated (flaky inside), so I took myself off- and never went for my final checkup....whoops. My derm stopped having me do blood tests every checkup because my levels stayed pretty normal. No issues there. My side effects were chapped lips and flaky inside of nose, and the nose stuff didn't happen until the very end. My face didn't get that dry, but I did keep it well moisturized with CeraVe or Eucerin.

I do think I have a post-Accutane side effect, though- my scalp has a little bit of dermatitis, which I never had before Accutane. I'm hoping it will go away on its own, but it's pretty easy to manage and not noticeable to other people.

One thing Accutane did do to me was make me a little ****y. I mean, I am a ***** somedays anyway, but I got mad quickly while on Accutane and had short patience. This could have been attributed to teaching middle schoolers, though, but I think Accutane intensified it a little bit. Nothing crazy, though.

Oh, and I had a sore back all of the time. My back would get sore from doing VERY simple things. I still worked out while on it, and I was fine- I had read that I would ache like crazy, but it wasn't bad at all. The sore back was bothersome, though, but I got used to it. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.

I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who got fixed up by other stuff. It's either Accutane or Proactive. Maybe doctors push the other ones first to cover their asses in case something goes bad with the Accutane. idk. I definitely went through a couple of other things before the Accutane that did nothing for me. I'd advise going straight to Accuatane

Usually a derm won't start you on Accutane unless you've tried at least 2 other drugs. I did Minocycline and some other drug first, along with Retin-A cream, but my derm kept urging Accutane. I'm glad I did it, I don't have to wear makeup anymore, but I do daily, but I don't have to pile it on like I used to. Nothing to hide!

I cant cut it out completly(too much of my diet and I am finding more and more Fruits and Vegtables are causing what seems like allergic reactions (Itchy throat and puffy lips)) but I have cut back on all Sodas and Fast food by about 50% over the past few months and candy completly out of my diet outside the occasional Snickers Bar at work to last until lunch or dinner. I had little to no change after the switch.

At home my step mother is a huge health nut. 0 cookies chips sodas juices gatoraid. Nothing like that at all. Milk and water is the only thing I drink at home and the only snacks I eat is popcorn

Cut dairy and soda and fast food to 0%.

Don't always believe it gets worse before better. My bacne took almost 6 months after taking a full month of antibiotics in the 5th. My face cleared up immediately within the first 4 days and I probably got 1 pimple in the entire 9 months I was on it (face). Although I had to take 2 courses, my back was clear since the 1st but it came back on my face the minute I stopped taking it. 2nd course took care of it. I have no side effects anymore. Only had chapped lips during. I miss the feel of my skin being on it (0% oil). Sometimes I felt so clean it was harsh taking a shower everyday because my skin would get really dry. Oil came back but not at all like it use to be. Been great since. My face was never bad, only my back......but what wonders this drug did to my back. I had nuclear explosions on my back.......I seriously doubt I've had 5 small pimples on it within the last 4 years.

Archived