Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Accutane

MissU28

I'm sure some of you out there have taken Accutane. I just started it last week. Well, not the brand name "Accutane," but Claravis.

My acne is not the all-over-your-face hundreds of pimples kind. I have a few pimples at a time, sometimes none at all, but they are cystic, so it is considered "severe." I've been on numerous topicals (Retin-A, Clindamycin, Differin, Tazorac, etc. etc), antibiotics (Minocyclin and Doxycycline), and have done Proactiv and all that jazz. Some things helped, but never 100%.

SO, I decided to turn to Accutane. My dermatologist kept bringing it up, but I was scared. I've seen those Crohn's disease commercials, and how much would THAT suck???? My derm told me that no one can attribute any of those diseases to Accutane, especially as a sole cause.

I'm still nervous about it. My brother took Accutane when he was in high school, and his face is so clear now. One of my cousins took it twice.

I just want to know your experiences with Accutane. Good, bad, whatever. When should I start experiencing side effects? My lips have started to get dry (I started Thursday night), but I've been keeping them hydrated.

How long did it take for Accutane to work for you? I don't think I'll be on that long- 4 months, maybe 5. My acne really is not bad, if you put it in perspective.

Never tried it but I was close on taking it. From what I've heard its for severe cases.

I've went through Proactive, Obagi w/ Retin-A.. I couldn't stop pimples from forming on my back and on my face.

One day I slept over a friends place and forgot my face wash so I used her bfs.. booya.. 1 weekend and i noticed a difference. I now stock my shelves w/ it and my face looks clear as day.

Best investment.. and costs a fraction of the price. I know, you're a female but just wanted to throw my experience in there and see what you can gather from it.

I don't use any other soaps in the shower on my face. No body wash or bar soap... just this....

i use their scrub (which helped the most)

wash and lotion

http://www.niveaformen.com/products.html#/face_cleansing/oil_control_face_wash

I took it back in 2002, and again one more time in 2004

A few side effects for me was that it sent my fat lipids through the roof (hence the blood tests) and my lips to this day need extra chap stick

It worked real well seeing that I used to break out pretty bad, now my face is clear for the most part but I get an occasional break out

It certainly is dropping a nuke on your acne. Knocks it out cold

I'm a doc, specializing in medical genetics (rare syndromes, mainly in kids). Accutane is very powerful, and in some cases may be the only effective treatment for acne. My main advice for you would be to please, please don't get pregnant while taking it. The scary pictures of messed up babies are no joke. It is an incredibly powerful teratogen (meaning it causes birth defects). I've seen a number of "accutane babies" on the job, and it isn't a pretty sight. I obviously don't know anything about you personally, but if getting pregnant is even remotely possible, please be extra careful. If you think that you may intend to have kids in the next year or two, I'd suggest trying a different route for acne.

I'm a doc, specializing in medical genetics (rare syndromes, mainly in kids). Accutane is very powerful, and in some cases may be the only effective treatment for acne. My main advice for you would be to please, please don't get pregnant while taking it. The scary pictures of messed up babies are no joke. It is an incredibly powerful teratogen (meaning it causes birth defects). I've seen a number of "accutane babies" on the job, and it isn't a pretty sight. I obviously don't know anything about you personally, but if getting pregnant is even remotely possible, please be extra careful. If you think that you may intend to have kids in the next year or two, I'd suggest trying a different route for acne.

I totally understand the pregnancy issues. I mean, I have to log into a website before I can even get my prescription filled and answer comprehension questions, along with using 2 forms of birth control, along with seeing the no pregnancy sign on every pill I take. I know, I know, I know! They keep pushing this down my throat. I understand all the birth defects and I have to get a pregnancy test every month along with my blood tests. I have no desire to be pregnant and I will not get pregnant.

I totally understand the pregnancy issues. ... I have no desire to be pregnant and I will not get pregnant.

I'm glad you get it. Some don't. I've seen three of those babies die. Accutane works great for acne. Good luck.

I totally understand the pregnancy issues. I mean, I have to log into a website before I can even get my prescription filled and answer comprehension questions, along with using 2 forms of birth control, along with seeing the no pregnancy sign on every pill I take. I know, I know, I know! They keep pushing this down my throat. I understand all the birth defects and I have to get a pregnancy test every month along with my blood tests. I have no desire to be pregnant and I will not get pregnant.

Given that, why would you put something so toxic in your body????

It's the American FAIL.

I took acne in 2008, as a freshman in college. If Acne really bothers you then I recommend it 100%. Now while I took it I noticed I was getting depressed a lot and it really screwed with my head, kind of made me a bit crazy. Over analyzing things, being very paranoid and not very secure. I'm not sure if that is from the medicine or just the situations I was dealing with at the time. Being a freshman in college too, it kind of put a damper on my partying phase since drinking was not the best idea. I would drink only at home redskins games and let me tell you, the hangover is the absolute worse. I still drink in fear from ever having that hangover again. Like posters before, stock up on chap stick. Also, if you ever go out on a nice day, even if its 60 degrees I would suggest putting on sun screen.

While the months on it were brutal in some aspects it was way worth it and my face looks night and day than what it did before. I still am left with a little scarring I had from highschool but I've probably only had about 7-10 whiteheads since 07.

Good luck!

edit: Also, it took me around 2.5 months to start seeing real developments if I recall correctly (I believe it is different with everyone) and my acne definitely got worse before it got better.

i almost took it in high school, but after seeing those commercials I am glad I didn't. i know i may be in a box for saying that, but my acne just took care of itself for the most part as long as i use a daily face wash (usually w/10% benzol) I'm okay for the most part. i get a few small breakouts here and there, but i'm glad i toughed it out w/out accutane.

I took it way back in 1990. It had JUST come out and I, there was only 1 dose, and I was required to take a blood test each month on it for 6 months. But after having major acne for 3 years, 6 months after I was clear. It was a life saver for me. Only side effect was make sure you have lots of Blistix for your lips - They DO dry out big time.

15 years later, Adult acne started to creep up - Went back on it quickly (Generic version this time) and it was all gone in less then 45 days.

BTW - I noticed NO difference in my head as a teenager, and no effect as a adult (other then clearing up my face - My acene never got worst first (Isn't that tetracycline that does that?).

To be honest - In HS at least, my overall self confidence and my psych improved because I was no longer the guy with the acne.

I took it back in my sophomore year and it did wonders for my face I used to be the guy who had them pretty much everywhere on my face and it was so frustrating I really never had the side effects outside of extreme soreness and yeah I dried out with the best of them but nothing insane. They had me go back on it in the summer before my senior year and now I don't have to even worry about acne anymore which is awesome from what it was before

Yeah the cost is YOUR health and BABIES with no EARS.

The only miracle is FAIL.

Don't kid yourself.

I wouldn't put in it in my daughters system or YOURS!

Well -thats just dumb. Seriously - so you take no meds at all? You don't eat anything but all natural food? Give me a break.

I wouldn't take it. Not just because of the commercials. But there was an entire Dateline show devoted to this overly potent drug. The risks to your health far outweigh the benefit of curing some acne. And you said yours wasn't serious, so I definitely pass on this drug. It should be taken as a last resort.

So MissU28 - Lets recap.

All those who have actually taken it - Great results! Little side effect, Highly recomended.

Those that DIDN'T take it - Have their own thoughts.

BTW - I saw in the OP you said you would only take it for 4 months or so. If I remember correctly -it's a 6 month treatment program that is HIGHLY recomended you take for the whole 6 months. Otherwise you risk the acne coming back.

Yeah the cost is YOUR health and BABIES with no EARS.

The only miracle is FAIL.

Don't kid yourself.

I wouldn't put in it in my daughters system or YOURS!

Thankfully you don't make the decisions for other people and their bodies or their children's. The risks are read to them up front before they start using it and they monitored while on it. It is none of your business what people decided to use.

In the 8th grade I had a friend who started this. He had terrible acne all over his face. No one picked on him for it but it was a ton of acne. His face started to dry out, peel terribly and he kept chap stick with him all the time. About halfway through the year his face smoothed out and he has not had an acne breakout one time since. I never asked if he used accutane but from the sound of it he did. It was a miracle.

because miracle drugs come at a cost.

I used acutain for six months when it first came out. Me, My sister, and one brother used it. We all had great results...

The side effects were a little annoying... Dry skin, chapped lips etc... but if you use lubriderm and blistex you hardly notice those. I think acutain is a great drug and would recomend it to anybody. My acne wasn't that bad either... my sister had it worse.

spend 4-6 months on the pill and basically end your acne.. who wouldn't do that?

Archived