Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does the "Door Close" Button Even Work in Most Elevators?

Hubbs

Serious question. I've never been able to tell if pushing it does anything about 95% of the time. And last night, I happened to be in a lobby where two elevators opened at the exact same time, one for people going up, and one for people going down. I pushed the door close button in mine, and thought that this would be a good time to look across the lobby to see if the other elevator closed later to show that the button did something. There was only one person there, and she was on the wrong side if she wanted to also push the door close button. Lo and behold, the doors of our elevators didn't close at the same time. Her doors actually closed first. :doh:

So is the button just a big gimmick to make people happy because they think they can make the doors close early? Or does it actually work, and for some reason it often doesn't seem like it works?

Dude, it never works, ever. I push it so I don't have to sit in the elevator with the cleaning people because they smell like sweat and butt....somehow they always make it onto my elevator :(

And why are all the floor 3 lights out? I understand no 13 floor, but 3?

I read that if you press your floor and the close doors button at the same time that the elevator acts as an express and goes directly to your floor and not stopping for anyone else.

Dangit! I'll be back...gotta check this out...I'm going down to the janitors floor, lol, see if they can run fast enough to get to the elevator before I can close the door on them!

I read that if you press your floor and the close doors button at the same time that the elevator acts as an express and goes directly to your floor and not stopping for anyone else.

Dude, if that's true that's a hell of a nugget. I have to try this.

They don't seem to work. In an apartment building we lived in recently I would press the close door button when I'd get in an nothing would happen, even if I pressed it multiple times. However, if you're trying to load something in the elevator, that door is trying to close on you constantly.

I did have one person tell me that if you press the close door button it doesn't do anything, but if you press the close door button and the button for the floor you want to go to at the same time, then the doors will close. Try that and report back to us.

So it is dependent on model.

The quote from the "elevator expert" is pretty suspect to me. Being able to just plunk down that information about model numbers and brands, for this relatively obscure topic; either he's Rainman or he's making things up to sound cool. And since he introduced himself as an Expert, I'd tend to believe he's kind of a show-off.

The quote from the "elevator expert" is pretty suspect to me. Being able to just plunk down that information about model numbers and brands, for this relatively obscure topic; either he's Rainman or he's making things up to sound cool. And since he introduced himself as an Expert, I'd tend to believe he's kind of a show-off.

you don't need to be rainman to be familiar with things you work on for a living. even if the guy's a fake, though, read through all the comments on there. I'mma go look it up on snopes and see if they have anything.

Yes they do work but its not like an automatic shutter. In fact the door close and open button are vital to firefighters during elevator operations during fire alarms and actual fires. When an alarm goes off the elevators enter into whats called phase 1 recall and they go to the main elevator lobby. Fireman have a key that will allow the elevator to enter into "phase 2" operations an overdie the fire alarm safeties. In order to make the elevator work you must enter the elevator insert the key and then hit the elevator door close button until it closes all the way if you let go before it closes it will open again. Then you push the floor number you desire, then hit the door open button until it opens all the way. Again if you let go before it opens all the way it will close.

Again it does work in normal operations but its not going to be a fast thing. Its not even that fast under firefighter operations.

Archived