Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does the "Door Close" Button Even Work in Most Elevators?

Hubbs

No, and it makes me think of street crossing buttons. Do they do anything at all?

Some yes and some no. I know some that will make the light change quicker. Some will give you an extended "Walk" signal before changing to "Don't Walk" and some do nothing at all.

Crosswalk buttons work differently in every setting. In New York, there are some around, but they absolutely do nothing, as the walk signals are hard wired to the light cycles. The old poles still have some, though. Other places like San Diego, have some intersections with dedicated pedestrian crossing time if you press the button, where ALL cars have a red light in some cases.

On the door close button question, clearly the answer is that they don't do anything at all in most elevators during normal operations. I've never seen it make a bit of difference. I tried a couple different elevators today and the doors closed just as fast on their own. I like the people that think it does something but there's a big delay. Yeah, that delay is suspiciously equivalent to whatever time is left between when you pushed the button for your floor and when the door would have closed anyway.

Archived