Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If the team is not that much over .500 this year, I'm not sure how enthused I am about re-signing Otto.  It sounds counter-intuitive, but maybe we should hope that Beal becomes the #1 option from Wall and develops into the player that can deliver for the Wizards?  Or are we just going to continue to be happy with our players knowing that we don't have a transcendent: Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, Curry, Wade, Durant -- type of player.

It kind've sucks for sports fans to have to accept the truth about your teams -- the Wizards lot will only improve if Beal turns into a Curry-type of player -- their model for a championship is based on the recent Piston's and perhaps even the recent Celtics champions -- Wall being #1, Beal being #2 -- I don't see the dominant #3 (and the Celtics "big 3" leaves out Rondo).  I wish that Wall and Beal would give great games 2/3rds of the season, so that half the games would be wins... but the 2nd games of this season was another Beal and Wall bi-polar type of game... 

Serious question.  I know it's only been two games this season for you guys.  But honestly, do you think Scott Brooks is a really good coach or that his coaching success in OKC was a product of having KD and Westbrook?  

On paper his resume in OKC was great, making the NBA finals once and conference finals twice, not making the playoffs his last season when Durant was injured most of the season.  Seeing as Billy Donovan came in and took over that roster last year and advanced to the conference finals his first year as a NBA head coach, just how good of a coach is Brooks?

In Charlotte, we have gone through a slew of coaches and finally seemed to snag a good one in Clifford.  Our major problem is we can't attract any super star caliber players in FA and we haven't landed a 1st round pick to get the best college talent.  I know y'all complained about your previous coach, and rightfully so, but was just curious what you thought about your new one.

11 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Serious question.  I know it's only been two games this season for you guys.  But honestly, do you think Scott Brooks is a really good coach or that his coaching success in OKC was a product of having KD and Westbrook?  

On paper his resume in OKC was great, making the NBA finals once and conference finals twice, not making the playoffs his last season when Durant was injured most of the season.  Seeing as Billy Donovan came in and took over that roster last year and advanced to the conference finals his first year as a NBA head coach, just how good of a coach is Brooks?

In Charlotte, we have gone through a slew of coaches and finally seemed to snag a good one in Clifford.  Our major problem is we can't attract any super star caliber players in FA and we haven't landed a 1st round pick to get the best college talent.  I know y'all complained about your previous coach, and rightfully so, but was just curious what you thought about your new one.

I think more people here talked themselves into Brooks on account of him simply not being Wittman. He wasn't that highly thought of around these parts when OKC fired him.

he would not likely have been my first or second choice for the job, but i'll keep an open mind on him. Still don't know how the hell he ended up with 5yrs & 35mil, especially considering what some other coaches got on the market.

for better or worse, we are stuck with him now. Ted ain't eating that contract.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

I like Brooks.  I would have preferred Joerger but he hadn't been fired yet when we hired Brooks.

Brooks is a good coach IMO.  He needs to produce for us here before we can be sold on him, but I think he will.  He would have a ring or two by now if Patrick Beverly hadn't cheap shotted Russell Westbrook and tore his meniscus.  He had bad luck with injuries to Durant, Ibaka, and Westbrook during their prime window for contention.  And he was hurt by lousy ownership that forced Sam Prest to trade off James Harden for 10 cents on the dollar.

He's not in the top tier of coaches.  But he's good.  And a massive upgrade from Randy, who was one of the weakest coaches in the league.  The thing that I like most about Brooks is his knack for developing talented young players.  He seems to know the right buttons to push and develops a good rapport with them.  Randy really struggled coaching consistency out of young players, and would give up on them way too easily.  Beal, Oubre, and Porter should be the biggest beneficiaries of the change from Wittman to Brooks.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 3

Randy set a low bar, but for me, its not just Xs and Os, it's further developing our players that I'm looking for. You know, coaching.  I don't know if he'll get a ring here, but if he can get our players to play up to their potential and build on that from season to season, I'll be happy.  That may not be good enough, but I'll be happy because it will put us in striking distance to be a piece or two away, not arms length all the time.

• Like 2

I like what I've seen offensively from Brooks other than late game situations.  The sooner he realizes that Wall and Beal lack the ability (but certainly not the willingness) to deliver in hero ball situations the better. He's not in OKC and his "stars" don't have half the scoring ability of Durant or Westbrook.  I'm less impressed with the defense which I was hoping to see regain some of its chippy attitude from 2014-15 season.  It hasn't and seems to lack effort.

Of course this is just an impression of two games worth of play.  Everything could change in a week.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duckus said:

I think there is a 50/50 chance this team starts off 0-8. What a brutal opening schedule. 

It's tough, but I'd be surprised if that happened.  The team hurt themselves by choking against Memphis.

I think they can win the next four before dropping the games against Boston and Cleveland and maybe the one @Chicago.  That'd put them at either 4-5 or 3-6 over the first nine.  Then I think they win the next five in a row and go into that little stretch against Western teams at either 8-6 or 9-5.  Probably drop three of the four games in that run before they get another stretch of seven games where they can win all of them.  Then I think we probably split the final seven games of December and go into January around 18-14 or 19-15.

I'm expecting a weird first two months of winning and losing streaks.  The early schedule seems to contain concentrations of good opponents and lousy ones.

54 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Lakers are a little bit of a mess. Upside is good though. The crowing is silly. 

I like Ingram's upside a lot.  But I'm wondering why they are messing around with Luol Deng and Nick Young ahead of him on the depth chart.  Ingram is the future of the franchise and this is a rebuilding season.  I'd give up on any hope of the playoffs and play Ingram a ton of minutes and get him experience.

23 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Is there a realistic trade proposal that would bring Boogie to DC before the deadline this season? 

I doubt it.  I don't see Sacramento accepting any offers for him.  They hired Joerger and have serious ambitions of making the playoffs.  Trading Boogie means starting over from square one.

1 hour ago, Taylor703 said:

It was a terrible trade but what can you do? We might have an even better player in Sato if Brooks would ever put him on the floor.

Terrible is an understatement considering our guard situation.  Him and Sato could easily share the floor and give us an incredible guard rotation.  Instead we've got two mediocre gunners playing (and not Sato) in large part because the bench lacks scoring punch.

Ernie is trash.

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Terrible is an understatement considering our guard situation.  Him and Sato could easily share the floor and give us an incredible guard rotation.  Instead we've got two mediocre gunners playing (and not Sato) in large part because the bench lacks scoring punch.

I'm just trying to make light of an awful trade. At this point what are we supposed to do? It's done and over with and nothing will change while Ernie is in charge.