Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Thornton is on this team and in the rotation because the bench is dangerously youthful/unproven outside Nicholson (who is a pretty unproven player himself).  Thornton is supposed to be the vet presence and he's a total bum.  The lack of decent vet wings is going to bite our asses.  We need to make a trade IMO.

Thornton and Burke can't be on the floor at the same time.  They're both gunners.  Promote Sato.  Also, Jordan Clarkson would be great.... But Ernie is a worthless piece of **** GM that gave him to the Lakers for cash.   

Otto is a much better offensive basketball player than Oubre, but the starting unit only put up 7 shots from three (and made just two).  We can't have the PF being the only guy looking to spot up and take three point shots.  You need the wings to create more space.  

The Wizards bench is a problem and a big one that I don't see going away soon.  

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

This is why I think Gortat is as good as gone when Mahinmi comes back.  He, along with the rest of the Wizards front court, was food tonight for the Atlanta starters as far as getting boards. 

Team needs better outputs from Wall, Beal, and Porter.  Not to mention, Thornton should NEVER get 20+ mpg...those at the least, should be split w/ Sato.  I'm not sure if it's just Brooks' way of easing Sato into the rotation or if he's got some weird fetish for a washed vet like he did w/ D. Fisher, but something has to give. 

Gortat had a horrible game.  He was off in every way.  Defense and rebounding were poor and couldn't finish his PnRs.  He'll bounce back though.  He's one of the most consistent players on the team.  He's going to split time evenly with Mahinmi when he gets back IMO.  No need to turn a position of depth into a position of weaknesses by dealing Gortat midseason.

Beal was cooking tonight, he just got into foul trouble.  And two of his fouls were total horse**** IMO, especially the fourth one that took him out at the beginning of the third quarter.  Beal's performance was on McCutchen, he did not call an even game when the outcome was still in doubt and it hurt Beal and Gortat and helped Howard in particular.

Porter got frozen out of the offense in the second half.  I guess they were trying to feed Morris because he had been the hot hand, but it came at the expense of Porter's offense.  That said, he did a heck of a job on the glass all night.  He came down with rebounds in traffic several times.  It's ironic that skinny Otto Porter is our best and most physical rebounder.  He's got quick hands and the sixth sense for positioning.

Woke up this morning even angrier about that little move Bazemore pulled.  He should have been thrown from the game for that ****.  Brooks should have sent Jason Smith in to retaliate when he didn't get tossed.

You don't see that kind of **** happening to other franchise players and going unanswered.

Poor Scott Brooks.  This is the first 4th quarter Wizards collapse he's seen.  But we've seen plenty.

Kieff had a great game on both ends of the floor but Jesus Thornton isn't good.  One of the posters in this thread told me his best guess for back up 2 was Sato.  I wish you were right. 

Looking at box score only --- culprits were Gortat, Wall's shooting, and bench.  Gortat and Porter are cleary 4/5 options here... so we need defense and rebounding especially from Gortat. 

Not as mad at Ottos statline... team does best when all 5 starters put up close to double, doubles.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Woke up this morning even angrier about that little move Bazemore pulled.  He should have been thrown from the game for that ****.  Brooks should have sent Jason Smith in to retaliate when he didn't get tossed.

You don't see that kind of **** happening to other franchise players and going unanswered.

Bazemore should have been tossed. No reason to undercut a guy going for a dunk. Wanna contest it? Fine, jump and attack the ball. But pushing a guy on the hip? He knew exactly what he was doing. I would have told my guys anytime he goes to the basket, he ends up on the floor, hard, rest of the game.

Otto had a nice game overall.  He didn't score in the second half because he got ignored, but he still did work playing defense and rebounding.  That is Otto's job.  Keep the ball moving and hit shots as the fifth option and rescue garbage possessions.  Play great team defense, force turnovers, and get tough rebounds.

Otto is going to be a championship caliber glue player in a year or two.  If we cut bait on him, we're going to be real sad when he shows up on some contender and wins a ring as their starting SF.

Keef had three quarters of an outstanding game.  Then he went ice cold and quit defending Millsap in the fourth quarter.  Up until that point he'd been hounding Millsap and making him uncomfortable.  And he'd been our go to guy when the ball was a hot potato and nobody else could get the lid off the rim.

I'm satisfied with the offensive production we got from the forward spots.  And I thought they played as good defense as you can hope for given they were seriously outclassed by Millsap.  Problem was that we got destroyed on the boards, Atlanta killed us with the three ball, our centers got their asses whipped, Wall had a bad night where he lost his focus in the fourth and turned it over way too much, and Beal got iced out of the game by ****ty foul calls.

Just now, Popeman38 said:

Bazemore should have been tossed. No reason to undercut a guy going for a dunk. Wanna contest it? Fine, jump and attack the ball. But pushing a guy on the hip? He knew exactly what he was doing. I would have told my guys anytime he goes to the basket, he ends up on the floor, hard, rest of the game.

Yeah he knew exactly what he was doing.  He's a punk and the team should have sent him a message.  You can be sure as hell he would have been decked by one of LeBron's teammates if he'd tried that on him.  We need to make it clear that that kind of **** can not be done to Wall.

Or the refs could have simply done their job and given the piece of **** a flagrant 2.  There is no ****ing way you can convince me that foul didn't demonstrate intentionally excessively dangerous contact.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I get that, but thats more the norm then anything else for Beal in the regular season.

I know, I just can't react to it yet.  Beal looked better creating his own shot, but I didn't see him or Wall settle the team down when it was getting out of hand (not what I was expecting from our Max Contract backcourt).  We play them again a week in DC, lets at least give it until then. 

Beal had foul problems all game so the point total isn't an issue for me.

I guess Mahimi is supposed to help us out on the boards when he gets back.  Fingers crossed.

What kind of offense are we running?  It seems like some movement but didn't really see much coordination. I guess but we aren't using the pick and roll with Gortat anymore, which is what he is good at.

Watching another 4th quarter collapse made me realize that I don't want to re-up my league pass.   Hopefully, we will be in the playoff run by mid season and I can buy in at half price like last year.  

2 minutes ago, The Gibber said:

I guess but we aren't using the pick and roll with Gortat anymore, which is what he is good at.  

I noticed this too.  Wall assisted Gortat one time.  This gets him involved in the game and usually results in points being put on the board. 

Hopefully we'll work on this and add more into future game plans. 

21 minutes ago, The Gibber said:

What kind of offense are we running?  It seems like some movement but didn't really see much coordination. I guess but we aren't using the pick and roll with Gortat anymore, which is what he is good at.

I'm not sure what the offense will look like but I was encouraged because it produced open shots without being entirely dependent on a point guard.  Couldn't have said that with anything Wittman ran.  Like you say however it did look uncoordinated but I think it's safe to assume that's because it's game one under a new coach with a ton of new players. 

Pick n Roll is a good point.  Hopefully it was more about how the Hawks were defending it than Brooks being unwilling to run it.

I think it's clear Sato is a better player right now than Thornton is to go with the fact he's also got tons more potential.  I get that it's going to look like you're panicking if you make a rotation change in game 2.  But it's correcting a mistake that was made in preseason.  Sato should be playing over Thornton day 1.

As for Jason Smith, yeah he was ****ing horrible last night.  I think he'll get better.  But he's only playing because Mahinmi is out.

Couldn't do it last night because Gortat got in foul trouble and Atlanta plays two traditional bigs, but the way to scheme out Smith is to play Otto at the 4 and Nicholson at the 5 when Gortat goes out.

**** me but you can't take a guy out of your rotation for missing a bunch of shots.  That's the kind of thing that hurts your whole team's confidence and makes them play scared.  We're stuck with the bad decision to go with Thornton over Sato for several more games.

Thornton needs a big game against Memphis.