Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The fact of the matter is this team needs wholesale changes. The whole atmosphere needs to change. Ernie hasn't been successful as a GM....We've only made it out of the 1st round once in his tenure as GM and missed the playoffs more than we've made them. Abe passed and we got a new Owner. Since then we've gotten new uniforms, a new head coach, and a new franchise player.....time to bring in a new GM.[COLOR="Gold"]

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 03:54 PM ----------

Ding ding ding.

Edited by WhoRUSupposed2Be

That I always agreed with, but its just a statement that nobody was worthy of the 6th pick unless you're drafting on potential. My ideal draft would have been Kawhi and Singleton. But I have to admit, I'm coming on to this guy Jan.

Last night made me an official Vesely fan. I'm a believer. And I'm not saying he's gonna be Dirk or anything like that. But I think prime Kirilenko is a very real possibility. And prime Kirilenko was a hell of a player. Borderline superstar. Vesely might go down with Irving as the two best players to come out of this past draft. About ****ing time we hit on a pick like that.

As far as Ernie goes, I have no real issues with his drafting, signings or trades. Every GM has hits and misses. And I agree with warhead that we got great value considering where we were picking.

My problem with Ernie is the culture of the team. Clowns. That's the only way to describe them. Gilbert was the cause. Gilbert was a star but Gilbert was an absolute idiot. Blatche, NY and McGee looked up to him. And unfortunately, they skipped the shooting 1000 jumpers in the gym at 5 in the morning part of Gilbert, and instead just copied the clown. D Steezy is another one. Gilbert wasn't a leader and it's hurting us now. (And Jamison was an overrated leader--as I said for years and ppl argued with me about).

So how is that Ernie's fault? He let the inmates run the asylum. He shouldve been doing everything in his power to kill that ****. He shouldve realized how that environment would affect the youngsters. And hiring Flip, a players coach, just intensified the problem. We needed (not need, it's too late for those 3 imo), someone tough and strict to come in, set the tone and force McGee, Blatche and NY to grow the **** up.

The pick always goes to the team that makes most sense to the NBA at the time ;)

The Hornets...I'd be willing to bet on that one.

---------- Post added January-26th-2012 at 11:33 AM ----------

Enjoyed watching the rare blowout but I've got some reservations about Crawford's play. He looked a little out of control and didn't finish well consistently. Attacking the rim is his strength, it's not good when he can't go up strong.

Bismack looks about as advertised. Vesely was the right pick (his length is just tremendous) but Bismack would have been a nice consolation.

Agreed, I'm not too high on Crawford...he seems more and more like a volume shot jacker. Although he could very well mature into a decent 6th man down the road.

---------- Post added January-26th-2012 at 11:35 AM ----------

Even if we don't get the first pick per se, the worst record still mathematically gives you the best chance at a high pick. Remember the lotto only determines the top 3 picks.

The 4th pick this year guarantees us one of the following: Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Barnes, or Sullinger. That's worth tanking for.

No way Sullinger goes top 4. Drummond, Davis, Lamb, Barnes, and maybe even Perry Jones will go before Sullinger.

---------- Post added January-26th-2012 at 11:36 AM ----------

Barnes, Kidd-G, and Lamb interest me the most at the moment. Not sure I can stomach another big that needs to develop an offensive game.

This

They got it with the Clippers pick, but Cleveland picked first this past year. Minnesota picked second, so the two worst teams picked first and second in some order. And picking fourth wouldn't be bad in this class, that's still probably someone like Harrison Barnes.

---------- Post added January-26th-2012 at 01:19 AM ----------

You're bent out of shape about a second rounder like Ramos? You seriously expect him to find All Stars outside the top five picks or so? You've got stupidly unrealistic expectations for success in the NBA draft if that's the case.

Most classes only have two or three eventual All Stars in them total and they almost always go at the top of the draft.

Finding a starter outside the top of the lottery is good drafting period. Nick Young and Javale were taken 16 and 18 respectively. That they've become starters at all is a feat, the draft is completely hit or miss in that range.

Cleveland got the # 1 pick Steve but it was'nt there pick it was the clippers pick 8th that won the lottery. They got it for taking on Baron Davis. Clevelands pick fell to 4th in the lottery.

You're bent out of shape about a second rounder like Ramos? You seriously expect him to find All Stars outside the top five picks or so? You've got stupidly unrealistic expectations for success in the NBA draft if that's the case.

Most classes only have two or three eventual All Stars in them total and they almost always go at the top of the draft.

Finding a starter outside the top of the lottery is good drafting period. Nick Young and Javale were taken 16 and 18 respectively. That they've become starters at all is a feat, the draft is completely hit or miss in that range.

This is why I can't stand to read your posts Steve. First of all, you can rarely seem to post without publishing a book. Second off, whenever anyone proves you wrong....you can't admit that you were wrong and you pick little snippets out of someone's argument and try to make is look like the whole argument.

You didn't comment on Jarvis Hayes or Pecherov. You also didn't comment on how this team has been in the lottery 5 out of the last 9 years (Ernie's reign) and have yet to come out with a consistent starter.

As thinking skins pointed out, you can't really beat the drum on Nick Young and JaVale McGee being starters because they are inconsistent starters on a totally crap team. Nick Young couldn't start for most teams in the NBA.

You say we've drafted well outside of the lottery, but again, you are wrong. We really haven't. If you want to see a team that drafts well outside of the lottery, look at San Antonio:

#37 Blair

#26 Hill

#45 Dragic

#28 Spitter

#28 Udrih

#28 Barbosa

#26 Salmons

#55 Scola

#28 Parker

#57 Ginobli

That's 5 legit starters and 5 rotation players. .....that is good

This is why I can't stand to read your posts Steve. First of all, you can rarely seem to post without publishing a book. Second off, whenever anyone proves you wrong....you can't admit that you were wrong and you pick little snippets out of someone's argument and try to make is look like the whole argument.

You didn't comment on Jarvis Hayes or Pecherov. You also didn't comment on how this team has been in the lottery 5 out of the last 9 years (Ernie's reign) and have yet to come out with a consistent starter.

As thinking skins pointed out, you can't really beat the drum on Nick Young and JaVale McGee being starters because they are inconsistent starters on a totally crap team. Nick Young couldn't start for most teams in the NBA.

You say we've drafted well outside of the lottery, but again, you are wrong. We really haven't. If you want to see a team that drafts well outside of the lottery, look at San Antonio:

#37 Blair

#26 Hill

#45 Dragic

#28 Spitter

#28 Udrih

#28 Barbosa

#26 Salmons

#55 Scola

#28 Parker

#57 Ginobli

That's 5 legit starters and 5 rotation players. .....that is good

It's sad isn't it :(

It's sad isn't it :(

not if you are a spurs fan. I absolutely couldn't believe we passed on DaJuan Blair a couple years ago.....we sold the pick that could have been him. I was PISSED. Ernie should have been fired right there.

---------- Post added January-26th-2012 at 03:06 PM ----------

funny thing is...I used to be a big time Ernie supporter; but now I realize I was wrong. He needs to go.

Edited by Gator Bait

not if you are a spurs fan. I absolutely couldn't believe we passed on DaJuan Blair a couple years ago.....we sold the pick that could have been him. I was PISSED. Ernie should have been fired right there.

I remember being either here or in another Wiz forum during that draft and as that pick was coming up, everyone was saying, "Take Blair." Then the announcement came that we'd sold the pick. :(

---------- Post added January-26th-2012 at 03:34 PM ----------

Brian Shaw...pick up Ray Allen in the offseason

Why not just sign Mitch Richmond again? Allen works well on a good team but there's really no use for him here when his talent would be wasted. He hasn't got too many years left either.

Allen works well on a good team but there's really no use for him here when his talent would be wasted. He hasn't got too many years left either.

I think Allen would be perfect for us; we really need a shooter. But there is no way in hell he'd ever go to a team like the Wizards. He'll sign with a contender like Chicago, Miami, or LA. Maybe even the Knicks

Allen works well on a good team but there's really no use for him here when his talent would be wasted. He hasn't got too many years left either.

I think Allen would be perfect for us; we really need a shooter. But there is no way in hell he'd ever go to a team like the Wizards. He'll sign with a contender like Chicago, Miami, or LA. Maybe even the Knicks

Isn't Blair the player that has no cartilage in his knees or no ACLs or something crazy and is strictly bone rubbing against bone? Who wants too risk drafting that guy even though he turned into a maricle player. Malcom Kelley comes too mind, risk drafting players with bad knees can really bite you in the ass.

We traded for Richmond......Ray will be a free agent this summer ans is playing very well, his work ethic would help out a lot with this young team...would he come here probably not, just an idea

You're probably right but I just had a knee-jerk reaction, thinking "why bring in someone who would only lose motivation and focus on this squad." He needs bigger stakes, like Gator said.

Isn't Blair the player that has no cartilage in his knees or no ACLs or something crazy and is strictly bone rubbing against bone? Who wants too risk drafting that guy even though he turned into a maricle player. Malcom Kelley comes too mind, risk drafting players with bad knees can really bite you in the ass.

because he didn't seem to have too many issues with it in college and it was a second round pick. Not much risk in a second round pick. Did you see the list of second round picks we've taken in the last 8 years. Are you seriously trying to justify not taking DeJuan Blair?

Just because he didn't have many problems in college doesn't mean he wouldn't have any in the pros. If i am not mistaking he was a first round talent a potential lottery pick but most teams passed on him because of his crazy knees. We are not the only team that passed on him, I don't agree with allot of wizards moves but you can't blame them do much considering the situation.

Just because he didn't have many problems in college doesn't mean he wouldn't have any in the pros. If i am not mistaking he was a first round talent a potential lottery pick but most teams passed on him because of his crazy knees. We are not the only team that passed on him, I don't agree with allot of wizards moves but you can't blame them do much considering the situation.

A SECOND ROUND PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy **** there are some hard headed non reading comprehension special people on this message board!

A SECOND ROUND PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy **** there are some hard headed non reading comprehension special people on this message board!

Everytime someone disagrees with you, you have too insult them.

We are not the only team that passed on him second round or not, the spurs where a team that has the luxury too take a risk on a guy that doesn't have A DAMN ACL IN EITHER LEG. Second round or not the Wizards would have been looked at as retards for picking a guy with no knees and he turns around and breaks down after a full nba season he just wasn't worth the risk too te team at that time.

Even then every other team passed on him

Everytime someone disagrees with you, you have too insult them.

We are not the only team that passed on him second round or not, the spurs where a team that has the luxury too take a risk on a guy that doesn't have A DAMN ACL IN EITHER LEG. Second round or not the Wizards would have been looked at as retards for picking a guy with no knees and he turns around and breaks down after a full nba season he just wasn't worth the risk too te team at that time.

Even then every other team passed on him

no one even remembers the guys who don't work out in the 2nd round (unless they have the nickname "party") and never sniff the court. It was a very low risk (2nd round pick) high reward pick. You are probably the only person on this entire board who would think we shouldn't have drafted DeJuan Blair that year. EVERYONE on here wanted him and was pissed when we sold that pick.

I don't insult people who disagree with me....I insult stupid people. It is fairly simple. I don't agree with everything GACOLB says or Vishal......but at least I know they typically know what they are talking about.

You consistently make stupid statements and backup lazy ****ty players like Andray Blatche....so the criticism comes out naturally.

Edited by Gator Bait

The 2009 draft with Blair, we sold the 2nd round pick which we could have used on Blair to Houston. We then used that money to sign Fabricio Oberto. It was a very pointless, short sighted move.

Small bad moves eventually add up over the years, culminating in the disastrous and craptastic roster that we have currently.