Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Regarding the GM search, I'm softening on Sheppard.  I'd use the draft as a referendum on his candidacy.  If he does a great job with it, then I would hire him to him the job.

I think you're just saying that because you believe that's who they'll end up with... You don't really want him. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I think you're just saying that because you believe that's who they'll end up with... You don't really want him. 😂

I don't like the lack of a culture change he'd imply.  But Givony said he's one of personnel guys he respects and sees the most of on the scouting circuit.  He thinks he's good at the draft.  That's given me pause.  I respect Givony more than any other draftnik.  And the draft is how we fix this roster.

I don't want to throw away a good drafter because of a long association with Ernie.

Plus I'm just not sold on Troy Weaver or Danny Ferry.

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Regarding the GM search, I'm softening on Sheppard.  I'd use the draft as a referendum on his candidacy.  If he does a great job with it, then I would hire him to him the job.

You are capitulating, the acceptance stage of grief.

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think this is one of the situations where acceptances is the 1st step to recovery.

I don't know Sheppard from a random guy walking down the street. Maybe he would do everything completely different than Ernie. But then I wonder why he stayed here is he wasn't on board with what was going on for years. Seems like he was high enough to realize being associated with this front office would be bad for his career unless he stuck around here.

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I don't think this is one of the situations where acceptances is the 1st step to recovery.

I don't know Sheppard from a random guy walking down the street. Maybe he would do everything completely different than Ernie. But then I wonder why he stayed here is he wasn't on board with what was going on for years. Seems like he was high enough to realize being associated with this front office would be bad for his career unless he stuck around here.

If I had a good job as an executive in an NBA front office, I wouldn't leave it even if I thought my boss was an idiot.

If smart draft insiders like Givony think Sheppard is good at this part of the job, I'm willing to take them at their word.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If I had a good job as an executive in an NBA front office, I wouldn't leave it even if I thought my boss was an idiot.

That's kind of sad. 

If he thought his boss was an idiot but he was respected in the league, he would have moved on to a better franchise. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

That's kind of sad. 

If he thought his boss was an idiot but he was respected in the league, he would have moved on to a better franchise.  

I think you're underestimating just how desirable these executive jobs are/overestimating how easy they are to get.  I'd take an executive job at any franchise where I could get one, no matter how little prestige the organization had.  It's like it is with the players--only the most highly sought-after and well connected executives get to pick from a bunch of different opportunities at or better than their current level.  So let's say I'm a second in command for a team like the Wizards.  I'm well paid and I've got some seniority and stability. Am I really supposed to leave that to make a lateral move with another team, or even a demotion to work with a better team?  No one would do that.

EDIT: the other thing I notice from Sheppard's personnel directory page is that he's got a lot going on in the area that would keep him here.  He's got seven kids and he also has a teaching gig at Georgetown.  Staying here for so long isn't an indictment of his character or professional ambition.  Maybe his ability, but not his character.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@stevemcqueen1 I gotta ask, what has Shep done in any of the last 16 years to make anyone say he's a good drafter?

I don't know, I'm not an insider.  But Givony is.  And he's not some bootlicker member of the DC media, he doesn't need to kiss ass to do his job.

I find that reassuring since Sheppard is the one running the draft.  I want to see what he does with it before writing him off.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know, I'm not an insider.  But Givony is.  And he's not some bootlicker member of the DC media, he doesn't need to kiss ass to do his job.

I find that reassuring since Sheppard is the one running the draft.  I want to see what he does with it before writing him off.

I can understand trying to rationalize or find some peace in how badly we are f***ing up right now.  I feel you, but cant cosign with you on this one, one draft unless he totally botches it will take time to judge.  We are already leaning towards him being the guy, how much time are you willing to give him to prove you are right or wrong?

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I can understand trying to rationalize or find some peace in how badly we are f***ing up right now.  I feel you, but cant cosign with you on this one, one draft unless he totally botches it will take time to judge.  We are already leaning towards him being the guy, how much time are you willing to give him to prove you are right or wrong? 

Well we only really have the one draft pick.  So we'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it was a success or not.  The NBA is one of those leagues where the stars usually start revealing themselves pretty quickly.  They may not be efficient, but you see it in the confidence and aggressiveness they play with.  Stuff like Beal hitting game winning shots and playing a lead role in the offense as a rookie while John was sidelined with injury.  John putting up double doubles and triple doubles in his first few games.

There are a few exceptions who were very late bloomers.  And obviously you have to take a wait and see approach with kids who get drafted onto vet-laden teams and don't get on the court much early on.  But that's not us.  We're going to know pretty quickly if a kid has promise because he's going to have a chance to play big minutes and he'll either flash potential or he won't.

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Sheppard is fruit of the poisonous tree for me. Dont want him

If Givony told you straight up that he's one of the best draft guys in the business, would you still not want him?

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're going to know pretty quickly if a kid has promise because he's going to have a chance to play big minutes and he'll either flash potential or he won't.

Sounds like you are giving him less then a year to prove he deserves the promotion or not.  Ted will give him more.

Edited by Renegade7

Also, what's the preferable alternative?  I could talk myself into Troy Weaver, but I don't think I could do the same with Ferry.  His record in Atlanta was OK, but his record in Cleveland is discouraging.

But I'm not sold that Weaver is a huge upgrade over Sheppard.  He's a worthy candidate, but a lot of his appeal hinges on coming from somewhere else.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Sounds like you are giving him less then a year to prove he deserves the promotion or not.  Ted will give him more. 

I'd use his performance in this draft as a referendum on his personnel decision-making skills.  If he flubs it, then that'll make the decision to hire someone else a lot easier.  But if he hits a home run, then I'm not going to demote a guy for doing a good job.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also, what's the preferable alternative?  I could talk myself into Troy Weaver, but I don't think I could do the same with Ferry.  His record in Atlanta was OK, but his record in Cleveland is discouraging.

But I'm not sold that Weaver is a huge upgrade over Sheppard.  He's a worthy candidate, but a lot of his appeal hinges on coming from somewhere else.

That's fair because I thought we were all in universal agreement that's what we needed in Hope's of a culture change.

We are backing tracking into Shep looking like a reasonable choice because we screwed up with Connley.  That's like crashing your car and trying to find solice in picking the best mass transit solution.

For me, Shep might as well be an unknown.  I can already feel the sizzle in the fan base from Ernies firing starting to fade out, this is one of those things I dont want to settle on because I have no clue what Ted's patience level is.  It's almost like who would you rather risk 5-10 years with?

I dont believe for two seconds the franchise is doing its homework on it's real extent of its options.

Just read that Sekou Doumbouya would be the youngest player in NBA history if he was on the team and played at the beginning of the season.  That's pretty crazy.  I don't know how I feel about him.  Would he even be able to play in the NBA next year?

Let's say both Doubouya and Bol are swing for the fences picks.  I like Doumbouya's intangible make up better than Bol's.  But Bol is much more NBA ready, and his upside is probably even higher than Doumbouya's.  Think Kristaps vs Siakam as the best case scenario projections--a three point shooting rim protector and PnR finisher vs a ball handling big wing with some three ball range.  The three point shooting rim protector is the more valuable and rare player in that comparison.

So how do we rank our board then?  Bol over Doumbouya or vice versa?  Where does Hayes fit in?

What about trading down a bit and looking for a more immediate contributor like Brandon Clarke or Goga Bitadze?

This is going to be a very difficult draft to get right, which is part of why I view it as a good test of Sheppard's personnel decision-making skill.

Here is a link to a profile on Bitadze: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-draft-prospect-profile-goga-bitadze

It does a good job putting Bitadze's Euroleague numbers in context.  He's drawing a comparison to Nikola Vucevic.  He's not as big as Vuc, but that's a pretty encouraging comparison nonetheless.

So he beg the question, if we've got him ranked at the end of the lottery, and we think we can move back a few spots and get him, while picking up additional assets (think trading with Boston for 14 and 20), does that option beat picking Doumbouya or Bol earlier?

I don't know, that's pretty tempting to me.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If Givony told you straight up that he's one of the best draft guys in the business, would you still not want him?

I understand my position is more emotional than logical, but I am resolute in this. I'm not buying the guy being a completely different entity than Ernie. If he was content to sit back and follow along as Grunfeld ****ed up everything in sight, that speaks to a mentality I don't want our next GM to have

anyone know what Sheppard thought about Vesely? If he was anyway ok with that pick, its a complete nonstarter for me. Thats my baseline

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2