Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ben Standig Retweeted John Schuhmann

Milt Newton, former key member with Wiz front office, out in Minnesota. Thibs clearing house.

Milt Newton, former Wizards VP of basketball ops, out as GM in Minnesota along w/a bunch of others #ThibsTakeover #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards

Milt Newton worked hand-in-hand with Flip to construct the roster. Muhammad, LaVine, Towns, Dieng all here in part because of him

One legit landing spot for Milt Newton: back in Washington. He's gotten a few calls, I'm sure. Highly thought of in league circles. #twolves

We don't use words like ignore around here. That's negative thinking. The Ernie Grunfeld office was simply staying with the plan.

I haven't seen the plan but I'm sure making poor free agent decisions and drafting poorly is in there somewhere.

Now Ernie gets to look like fool, again.  They had talks prior to the season and it was publicly stated that Beal wanted to play his way into a max deal.  He plainly failed to do so and now Ernie will humiliate himself pretending otherwise while announcing the new deal. 

• Like 2

He doesn't deserve a max contract based on what he's done so far. But deserve doesn't really matter in the end. If the market is there for him to get a max deal, then he'll get one.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't let him out of the building. You don't let an asset like him walk for nothing. If we're forced to match a max offer, so be it. The only positive spin I can think of is what we used to justify Wall's extension when it happened: you're paying him for what you think he'll do over the life of this contract, not what he did over the life of the previous one.

With durant staying in okc, we can't afford to lose beal. But we shouldn't give the max unless we have to. I feel like SVG will throw a ridiculous max out for him just so Ernie matches it and handicaps our f/a plans ( think Lin ). There's no way we let him go.

With durant staying in okc, we can't afford to lose beal. But we shouldn't give the max unless we have to. I feel like SVG will throw a ridiculous max out for him just so Ernie matches it and handicaps our f/a plans ( think Lin ). There's no way we let him go.

Did I miss KD re-signing or some ****?

We're giving him max, so we might as well just all learn to Beal with it.

If our FO was competent enough to get out of this, we wouldn't of gotten into it to begin with.

I'll tell you what, if Brooks brings out the potential of the "House of Guards", there's a lot of things we'll learn to Beal with.

Edited by Renegade7

We're giving him max, so we might as well just all learn to Beal with it.

If our FO was competent enough to get out of this, we wouldn't of gotten into it to begin with.

I'll tell you what, if Brooks brings out the potential of the "House of Guards", there's a lot of things we'll learn to Beal with.

we will also have to Beal with the fact that his knees may not ever be able to support a season's worth of work

I don't know about you, but i'm making plans to poison Grunfeld's soup.......and Ed Tapscott too just in case Ted wants to stay in house for a replacement

That man's immortal so I would re-evaluate your strategy here. You're better off getting your Jessica Jones on to prove he has a giant star drawn on the floor of his office or something. Or a swing set in Ted's.

Edited by Renegade7

Now Ernie gets to look like fool, again.  They had talks prior to the season and it was publicly stated that Beal wanted to play his way into a max deal.  He plainly failed to do so and now Ernie will humiliate himself pretending otherwise while announcing the new deal. 

Well, what other options are there? 

OBVIOUSLY, Beal hasn't played up to a max-contract level, but if you let him walk a couple of things will happen:

1.  Alienate Wall

2.  Leave a GAPING hole at the 2-guard spot with no viable plan to replace Beal. 

Give him the max out of good faith, and x your fingers that he can live up to his potential.  I have no issue with him getting as much money as possible this summer.  He needs to be retained. 

*edit*

With Bismack Biyombo playing himself in to a huge payday, how would you feel about the Wizards offering him a contract this offseason? 

I know Whiteside has been mentioned, but is there a fit on this team for BB? 

Edited by RonArtest15

Wizards' Max deals-- Juwan Howard, Gilbert Arenas, and John Wall-- you can argue that none earned a max deal at the time of their signing. Gil had done a lot, but was seriously injured and who knew if he could make it back. Howard only got one because the fan base was pissed that we let Webber go... it was so bad the league stepped in and gave the Wiz a mulligan. Wall also was not a max worthy player when he got his contract. You can argue that gamble paid off.

If you give Beal a max deal what is the likelihood that he will justify it? He's been occasionally very good, but is he good enough given the injury risk?

No to Bismack. If this was last offseason, absolutely. Im pretty sure half of everyone here lobbied for it. I was saying Seraphin or Biyombo, while leaning more towards Seraphin. Sigh.. Anyways, he's not worthy of what his agent is going to demand. Additionally, we cant have anyone on the floor with Wall that cant make a bucket when fed the ball. He has no offensive game whatsoever, and only succeeds in scoring because every other guy on Toronto is a threat to score. (specifically Lowry and DeRozan). Wall is still inconsistent on scoring and cant decide whether or not he wants to drive or spot up from the foul line. BB is just having a good playoff run right now. Jonas is a far superior option, and Toronto knows it.

Im still all for Whiteside as plan B over anything else not named Cousins. I know Marcin is a good dude, and I like him alot, but Whiteside would fill a far greater need on this team. He's elite on interior D, has improved his foul shots significantly, and is elite at rebounding. He's the clear choice, and any goodwill that i have given EG this offseason would be buried and replaced with fury if we choose to do nothing and/or throw a max at Horford. What we cant do is wait until the allstar break for a move that might change the game, and waste another year of Wall's prime. I expect plan B to go into effect this offseason.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

I've always liked Bismack, but I'd be afraid of what he'll cost now. Also that dude is older than he claims.

He's not a starting caliber center for us either. Bad hands make him a poor fit as a PnR outlet, which is one of the few things we do really well.

Would love to have him as a reasonably priced back up C though. He's a scrapper and a rebounder, which we always need.