Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That was a fun game to watch. Especially after the performances from the Caps and Nats this weekend.

Pierce kicked it into another level and that was really cool to see. Led by example and his emotions were out there.

Now, they need to do something in the 2nd round or this sweep is meaningless. If they don't win it. They need to push it 7 games.

That series has me feeling so much more confident moving forward.  Atlanta is going to be way tougher, but I feel like we can match up now.  And should we beat them, we'd be facing either a banged up Cleveland team or a Chicago team who we have been successful against the past two seasons.

Atlanta is the biggest test.  I wish we could have gotten a high seed and avoided playing them in the second round, but in order to get anywhere, you have to beat them eventually.

Unless the Nets can do us a huge favor and eliminate them...

Maybe I'm crazy, but I like how the seeding turned out.  I would rather play CLE or CHI after they battle each other.  To my mind, those were the 2 hottest teams in the East coming into the playoffs.  I'm fine with missing either of them until the Eastern Conference finals if we are lucky enough to make it that far.

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/sessions-teaches-raptors-he-can-run-wizards-attack

Sessions teaches Raptors he can run the Wizards attack

Washington swapped point guards hoping the 6-foot-3 Sessions would provide the roster with another dribble penetrator besides Wall and a quality defender. He's done that with the added bonus of sinking long balls.

The eight-year veteran is a career 31 percent 3-point shooter. Sessions was far worse than that in 36 games with Sacramento, hitting only 6 of 28 (21.4 percent).

Apparently the East Coast agrees with him. Sessions went 13 of 32 (40.6 percent) from beyond the arc in 28 regular season games with the Wizards. He made his first three deep shots in Game 4. The last time Ramon Sessions made three 3-pointers in a game? December 21, 2012. 

"They're playing me for the drive now so it's leaving me (open)," said Sessions, who added three assists. "With John coming off the pick and roll and me playing some of the two, I know I'll be spotting up a lot so I'm just working on that. They're giving it to me so I've got to take it." 

“[Ramon] Sessions has been tremendous on both ends of the floor," guard Bradley Beal said. "He accepts that defensive challenge on any guard and on top of that he is learning the offense quick. He is able to push the ball when he is in transition. He gets to the basket fine when he needs to. He is really growing a lot so we are glad to have him on board and he has been nothing but good.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Maybe I'm crazy, but I like how the seeding turned out.  I would rather play CLE or CHI after they battle each other.  To my mind, those were the 2 hottest teams in the East coming into the playoffs.  I'm fine with missing either of them until the Eastern Conference finals if we are lucky enough to make it that far.

I won't mind if Brooklyn pulls off the upset, that's for sure. But otherwise, ATL was the clear cut best team in the East. They are a little banged up now, but less so than Cleveland. And they seem to match up against us particularly well.

I would have preferred the Wizards getting Chicago in round 2. It would have been a war and it would have taken us one step closer to full blown rivalry. Plus any time a DC team can wipe the smile off of Wilbon's fat head I'm a happy guy.

Can anybody remember feeling better about this team than they feel right now? Not sure I really believed that things like this would ever happen for our beloved Bullets. Let the good times roll...

Anybody wanna make a road trip to Atlanta for a game?

Unless someone was alive in the 70s and 80s, you're talking out of your behind if you say there was a better feeling about this franchise besides right now.

Randy did do a very good job in that series.  But that's not going to make me forget about the bad job he did during the regular season.  This team majorly underachieved, this series versus Toronto has made that much clear.  They should have won mid 50s.  And Otto Porter's coming out party shows how under-utilized he was.

If we achieve to our potential and win 65% of our games, then we get Home Court until the ECF and really improve our chances of getting that far.  Coming into the season, that was our goal.  Now we have to win a tough series as the road team against the one seed to achieve it.

But so long as Otto and Beal continue to progress and develop, Randy doesn't kill us.  Scott Brooks didn't kill the Thunder, they were one and two seeds when Durant was healthy.  And in the playoffs, differences in the quality of head coaches get minimized because everyone gets more time to plan and adjust and strategize.  An NBA-caliber coaching staff can make the right game to game adjustments if they have enough time to prepare.

The quality of your top 8 to 9 players really makes the biggest difference.  Randy won't hold us back in the playoffs if we get a big talent advantage, such as getting an All Star forward.

I think it'll go to at least six.  The Nets are really pushing Atlanta.

The Hawks are not executing at the level they were earlier in the season.  They're good, and probably still better than us.  But they aren't playing better than us right now.  We have a real chance to beat them.

Steve, you buy into the theory that's out there about Wittman playing "possum" during the year?  Personally, I don't. 

If anything, I think the players finally got it through Randy's thick skull about the changes that needed to be made going forward. 

I mean, there really is no concrete explanation about why it took so long for the Wizards to do the things that EVERYONE has been screaming about for the better part of this season. 

• Like 2

Man, I owe Randy a HUGE apology. 

He coached his *** off in this first round. 

I can also say the same about Otto.  Dude played like a #3 overall pick. 

He's a playoff coach... not a regular season one. (not sure if serious)

Steve, you buy into the theory that's out there about Wittman playing "possum" during the year?  Personally, I don't. 

If anything, I think the players finally got it through Randy's thick skull about the changes that needed to be made going forward. 

I mean, there really is no concrete explanation about why it took so long for the Wizards to do the things that EVERYONE has been screaming about for the better part of this season. 

I'm not really a basketball guy, but looking at the roster could it just have been he felt they weren't built for it.  In a lineup with only one traditional big guy they'd have alot of people they could swap out.  Less so at the other positions

I don't believe that.  If Randy had any answers during our freefall in February, he would have tried them.  His answer was "play harder."

Plus it's not like he needed to keep Otto Porter or a small ball line up secret for them to be effective.

We were trying to win as many games as we could until it became obvious we'd locked up the fifth seed and so we rested Wall and Pierce and Nene.

Porter had an ORtg of 128 and a DRtg of 99 in that series.  That's Tyson Chandler-like territory.  Impressive because he was responsible guarding their best player and he was taking shots a lot farther from the basket than a big man--the only guys typically capable of getting ORtgs that high.

Those are flawed metrics though because, like PER, they don't take role into account.  Those crazy per 100 metrics as a fifth option still don't come close to equaling the impact of what Beal did as a first option, despite the fact his ORtg for the series was only 106.

So the story isn't that Otto was our best and most impactful player in that series by the numbers.  It's that Otto was fantastic in his specific role.

Atlanta is going to be a different animal though.  Toronto let us play Otto on DeRozan because Ross is a small SF that Beal had no problems guarding.  But DeMarre Carroll is a big dude.  We don't really want Beal guarding him.  And with Otto being our perimeter stopper, we don't really want to waste him on such a low option like Carroll.  Ideally we want him on Korver.  But Atlanta doesn't have to mess around with line ups to get the match ups they want.  They would be fine having Korver check Beal and Carroll check Otto.

I think you might get a few funky line ups where Otto or Pierce play SG and SF together with Otto checking Korver, and with Gooden or Nene at PF to check Millsap and Beal and Wall play PG.  I could see that being a line up in second quarters for when Wall rests and we want Beal to run the offense.

And hopefully, Atlanta plays a lot of their two PG line ups where Korver kicks out to SF, because that's actually easier for us to match up with our preferred Wall, Beal, Porter, Pierce, Gortat/Nene lineup.

Ultimately though, Korver and Caroll are two of their lowest usage regulars.  The defense that Otto and Beal play will matter less than the work that Wall, Nene, and Gortat do.  Their three best players are Teague, Horford, and Millsap by a mile.  I think the series will be decided by whether or not our PG and bigs can outplay theirs.

Was just browsing the stats of some of ATL's players and I notice Teague and Horford have majorly struggled against Brooklyn while Millsap has been a beast.  Odd because Millsap came into the series banged up.

Atlanta is defending very well, but offensively, they're struggling.  Whatever Brooklyn is doing to defend Atlanta is working very well, and it's something we should try and copy if we can.

If Horford's finger is bothering him this much, I think we have a chance to really exploit him with Gortat.  Might make sense to use big lineups for this series to try and pound them like Brooklyn has and use the small line up only for when they go to their three guard look.

****ty day overall yesterday that led to me missing the game live with no access to any screens except my cell, in an area that had no wifi and ****ty signal.

Once that final score dropped, been doing this since/

fnAnpAh.gif

Randy is many things, clever he will never be. No way in hell he was "playing possum".

If Brooklyn wins the series: Focus will be solely on Wall. We can use the big lineup we've put out there all year.

If Atlanta wins the series: Focus will be on small ball, and Otto shutting down Kyle Korver. I dont want Nene trying to defend Milsap or Antic 3's.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

OgahPDx.jpg

Just posted this picture on Facebook. Really trying to get people on board and understanding. Posted this along with the picture:

Love this team so much. Went to my first Bullets game at the Capital Centre when I was five. I've loved and followed them ever since. Been through a TON of ish over the years and been waiting for this for a very, very long time. But it's finally here.

What is it? What is this? Relevance. Respect. For so damn long we were a joke. We were the "Clippers of the East" (been saying the last couple years that a Clippers/Wizards Finals is most definitely a sign of the Apocalypse). Les Boulez. Curse O' Les Boulez.

The few times we got good or lucky, **** was fraudulent from the start. The first time our stars were accused of rape and we traded Webber instead of Howard--for a 32-year-old Mitch Richmond and Otis freaking Thorpe. Then the Miami Heat tried to save us from ourselves by giving Howard a monster contract that the NBA then voided and thus allowed us to give him the monster contract.

Jordan comes to town, we win the lottery and the right to draft...Kwame "girl hands" Brown. Jordan comes back, trades Richard Hamilton for Jerry freaking Stackhouse and then proceeds to go on a 3 year retirement tour so everyone gets a chance to lick his ballsack and setting the franchise back damn near a decade in the process. God bless Abe Pollin (RIP) for telling him to kick rocks.

We finally get that superstar, Agent Zero. They build the team in his image and personality. That means the three-headed monster of Baltche/Swaggy P/Pierre (Javale McGee). God help us. We win one playoff series and then proceed to lose to LeBron and the Cavs three consecutive years. Ugh. Then our superstar blows out his knee in his contract year and we still give him a max deal. He proceeds to never be the same. Before we find away to get him off the team though, him and a teammate pull guns on each other in the lockeroom. He thinks it's hilarious. Now one is in prison awaiting a murder trial and for being a Crip and running Crip business. The other is half a star on Twitter.

And those folks, were the GOOD times. Just imagine the bad. Yup. So now we finally have a LEGITIMATE good time. And who knows how far we can take this. This year and the following years. As the great Sam Cooke once sang in the greatest song ever (imho): It's been a loooong time comin', but a change gon' come, oh yes it is.

P.S. John Wall is a superstar. Recognize.

And yes, I'm not gonna front. Rather proud of that breakdown.

• Like 4

Regarding the regular season... maybe its the players who were at fault and not Wittman. Didn't Pierce allude to that in an earlier in the week interview?

I even posted they had a Lakers like "hit the switch" mentality... earlier in this thread.