Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

8 hours ago, Destino said:

Carlisle is ok?  Name five better head coaches in the nba.  I’d be so happy to have him in DC.  Not going to happen though, Ted’s not going to outbid every other team that’s already after him.  

Very good coach but has a rep for being very rigid.

Personally, I prefer new blood with fresh ideas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Destino said:

Carlisle is ok?  Name five better head coaches in the nba.  I’d be so happy to have him in DC.  Not going to happen though, Ted’s not going to outbid every other team that’s already after him.  

He stagnated with Dallas

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Destino said:

Has Dallas made it out of the first round of the playoffs since that title run 10 years ago?  

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 2:56 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yzctosfu

Mike Scott's just contract ballast in this, could be any one.  My question is why not?

Listening to Jimmy Patsos on the radio when asked about Simmons, “Not the hardest working guy in the league.”

Wouldn’t we be better off freeing up that money in 23-24 instead of tying it up in such a limited player?

Kendrick Perkins is straight ass....from his NBA career to his bumbling opinions on ESPN. I can't stand these dumb talking heads they trot out. He has no clout whatsoever and is more known for his low-light plays....it'd be like bringing in Javale McGee for commentary :ols: 

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Kendrick Perkins is straight ass....from his NBA career to his bumbling opinions on ESPN. I can't stand these dumb talking heads they trot out. He has no clout whatsoever and is more known for his low-light plays....it'd be like bringing in Javale McGee for commentary :ols: 

I'm pretty sure that's why they have guys like that on Sportscenter and Get Up...they want to have them spout some terrible, stupid opinions so you can at home can shout at your TV and wonder how someone can be so dumb.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That would be a heist of a trade IMO.  I like it and would do that deal without hesitating.

Even if they didn't throw in both Thybulle and a first, it's still a great deal for the Wiz. People talking about Simmons' playoff struggles seem to have forgotten Playoff Russ. Give me a young defensive player of the year candidate that put up 14-7-7 for an aging Westbrook everyday. 

My concern would be all this talk of his bad work ethics.  On paper, you'd take the risk to see if you can fix him and make him at least a 60%+ free throw shooter.  But there's nothing you can do if he won't put in the work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

My concern would be all this talk of his bad work ethics.  On paper, you'd take the risk to see if you can fix him and make him at least a 60%+ free throw shooter.  But there's nothing you can do if he won't put in the work.

The weird thing is… I’ve always been told that good defense is mostly hustle. So, it’s hard to think of a great defender with bad work habits.

mind you, I don’t know what I’m talking about  

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

I’d rather have the money freed up after Westbrook’s contract is up than have that commitment to Simmons.

That's the reset year where Beal and everyone else but Bertans and our recent draft picks come off the books.  If you're waiting for that year to start over, then I feel like Beal definitely walks then.  I don't think we're going to be a free agent draw at that point (or any point really).  So that means cap space is usually more useful to us for trades.

If we want to keep Beal, then I think we make this trade.  If we trade Beal, then you don't make it.  You plan on starting over with the ability to tank and a roster of young talent.

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

Even if they didn't throw in both Thybulle and a first, it's still a great deal for the Wiz. People talking about Simmons' playoff struggles seem to have forgotten Playoff Russ. Give me a young defensive player of the year candidate that put up 14-7-7 for an aging Westbrook everyday. 

I think it makes sense for us too.  We have two big contract players other than Westbrook: Beal and Bertans.  We have two more young draft picks in Hachimura and Avdija who are future guys.  That's four foundation pieces more or less, and not one can play defense at a high level.  Certainly not enough to bother the elite scoring forwards who dominated the postseason.  It's a doomed construction.

Simmons fixes a lot of our problems, and our roster can hide his limitations better than Philly's can.  We can put Bryant and Bertans on the court with him.  Having a guy who can run point on one end and guard opposing lead guards all of the way up to power forwards would be awesome.  And during the regular season you can make line ups with other range limited stopper types like Gafford or Thybulle and still be fine with three other shooters, and we might actually be able to play defense again.  During the playoffs you drop Gafford from the lineups with Simmons and go with Beal and essentially four other power forward sized players in Simmons, Bertans, Avdija, and Hachimura.  Or three of those other guys plus Bryant if you need more size and rebounding.

A high quality coach could make it work.

And it keeps us from having to rebuild.  I think trading for Simmons is how you get Beal to stay and play out his career here.  He's looking for every excuse in the world to stay here.  Give him a 50 win team with a reasonable amount of balance and decent shot at contention for him to lead and I bet he stays.

Plus Simmons is a unique player who is basically the only one of his kind that would make that Bertans contract look good short of having a LeBron or Kawhi caliber two way stud at the other forward spot.  Simmons gives you the ability to hide Bertans on any of the other team's worst offensive player and have Simmons guard their best one, be it forward or guard.  All while running point on offense. Suddenly, spending 17 million a year for a spot up shooting 4 who can't do a single other thing well wouldn't seem so dumb.