Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I only watched the 4th quarter but the Wiz were complete garbage. A complete joke of a team. EG needs to be fired.

The first 3 quarters they actually played pretty good defense. Held Chicago to 37% shooting, we didn't do a good enough job on the glass though. Lots of 2nd opportunities for the Bulls.

The 4th quarter was a complete collapse.

I think Wall needs a structured system from a vet coach preferably Jerry Sloan or even JVG. They will teach him to play with poise and learn to be patient running the pick&roll. Right now in my opinion he has regressed. I don't care if he averages 8 ast if he turns it over 4-5 times every game and the TO's are a trend even at Kentucky, thats worrisome. Tonight he played tough defense at the end on Korver and he can be a elite defender but he is lazy on defense normally throughout the game. This team as a whole just don't play hard.

If we get the # 1 pick and pair up JAVale with Davis that would be a physically imposing defensive front line they would have a block party but this team needs shooting in the worst way.

Blatche is terrubul, but he still has NBA level ability. Tonight he was replaced by Seraphin, who doesn't belong on an NBA roster and should be playing in the D-league.

I actually think it might be a good idea to use Blatche as a backup PF/C. You can showcase him as a decent reserve big man with position versitality, which is actually a position of need in the NBA. He has no trade value as a starter, but as a back up, his perception around the league might change.

If Wall could get a jumpshot he'd be incredible.

Id argue that if he could get a jumpshot, he would be a normal point guard. I have hope out for him, but he needs to learn how to control the offense instead of blindly running to the basket, quit taking terrible layup attempts, and improve his FT% before i look for improvement in his jumpshot. I believe McGee is more of a key to this team than Wall. Dude is beasting out there. We have to lock him up.

Id argue that if he could get a jumpshot' date=' he would be a normal point guard. I have hope out for him, but he needs to learn how to control the offense instead of blindly running to the basket, quit taking terrible layup attempts, and improve his FT% before i look for improvement in his jumpshot. I believe McGee is more of a key to this team than Wall. Dude is beasting out there. We have to lock him up.[/quote']

He has the speed and agility. He just needs to learn to finish and get a jumpshot. He does need to work on FTs though.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Seraphin should be playing in the D-league. He's really not ready for the NBA, may never be, but he's completely out classed which isn't helpful for his confidence or development. Javale is silently becoming one of the best interior defenders in the NBA.

Instead of checking the box score and posting nonsense, you should really try watching a game.

Huh? What precisely are you referring to? I would watch games if I could.

Hes not the best scoring option on this team if he cant shoot. And John Wall most certainly cant shoot.

Wall can get to the rim at will. He's been cold this year but go back to last year and he had no problems finishing.

I think Wall's biggest area for improvement outside of his outside shooting is his feel for pacing the game--varying his speeds, learning when to take the game over on his own and start attacking, etc.

The only way to get those qualities is experience. It takes a lot of time to learn how to manage an NBA game. Rose took three years and playing for the U.S. National team to really make that leap.

Side note, there was something about that summer for the national team that made a ton of young guys take a mega leap forward: Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, Love, Gay, Gordon, etc. These guys went from high potential to stars last season after playing together. Even Durant rounded out his game and went from uber gifted and creative scorer to potential MVP and greatest scoring wing in NBA history candidate.

Sucks that Javale didn't make that team.

Blatche is terrubul, but he still has NBA level ability. Tonight he was replaced by Seraphin, who doesn't belong on an NBA roster and should be playing in the D-league.

I actually think it might be a good idea to use Blatche as a backup PF/C. You can showcase him as a decent reserve big man with position versitality, which is actually a position of need in the NBA. He has no trade value as a starter, but as a back up, his perception around the league might change.

He's not Odom but he's a capable big off the bench. His horrible conditioning screams limited minutes which is where he can be effective enough. Seraphin is not an NBA player, agreed.

Id argue that if he could get a jumpshot' date=' he would be a normal point guard. I have hope out for him, but he needs to learn how to control the offense instead of blindly running to the basket, quit taking terrible layup attempts, and improve his FT% before i look for improvement in his jumpshot. I believe McGee is more of a key to this team than Wall. Dude is beasting out there. We have to lock him up.[/quote']

As good as McGee is defensively, he brings almost nothing to the table offensively except for hustle. Wall has the potential to be All NBA defensive team and a gifted offensive scorer and playmaker. We will rise and fall with John Wall.

In today's NBA the only position that's as valuable to a team as the PG is the uber athletic scoring PF/combo forward that can pick and roll/pop. Past three number one overall picks in the draft have been one of those two positions and last year pick one and two were those positions. Teams that feature elite talent at both spots (Clippers, Heat when Wade/LeBron plays the point) are golden.

I think Wall needs a structured system from a vet coach preferably Jerry Sloan or even JVG. They will teach him to play with poise and learn to be patient running the pick&roll. Right now in my opinion he has regressed. I don't care if he averages 8 ast if he turns it over 4-5 times every game and the TO's are a trend even at Kentucky, thats worrisome. Tonight he played tough defense at the end on Korver and he can be a elite defender but he is lazy on defense normally throughout the game. This team as a whole just don't play hard.

If we get the # 1 pick and pair up JAVale with Davis that would be a physically imposing defensive front line they would have a block party but this team needs shooting in the worst way.

We need to find our way into a pair of lottery picks.

We need a Barnes/Lamb/Rivers type and we need a PF.

I also really like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and think he has the type of shot that can develop nicely. I love his all around skillset. Pippenesque with natural leadership qualities. I don't see how he doesn't become a quality NBA starter. I think he's a rich man's Kawhi Leonard with actual shooting ability.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 12:16 AM ----------

We could also use DeMarcus Cousins. 21 and 19 tonight. The man is an animal. He shoots well enough to play PF IMO. Not a pick and roll type, you play him on the block with Javale and let them dominate the paint, Javale on ball, DeMarcus on the board. On offense use Javale to attack the rim in the air with the attention Cousins can occupy. Have Cousins just post up every time and get his position. Very few can stop him as strong as he is. Wall is a gifted passer that can get him the ball in any spot he wants.

Find a pair of sweet shooters on the outside at the wings that can take advantage of all of the space the bigs create and you've got an offense.

---------- Post added January-12th-2012 at 12:33 AM ----------

I also think it's worth noting that at the point in their careers Wall is at right now, DRose was still very much feeling his way out on a playoff Chicago team, Chris Paul was a fresh faced rookie still months away from his first career triple double, Russell Westbrook was also a fresh faced rookie who'd eventually go on to average 15 PPG on sub 40% shooting with only 5.3 APG, Deron Williams was averaging 12.5 PPG and 6.8 APG as a junior for Illinois, and Rondo was a rookie backup getting about 20 minutes per game and would eventually average just 6.8 PPG and 3.4 APG.

Derrick Rose is the only other PG in that strata who came out after his freshman season, he got to play for a much better Bulls team, and he still took time to learn to become a true offensive weapon and floor general (to the point where people were similarly questioning his value and potential).

stevemcqueen gets it

We're getting fouled alot with no calls.

Been like that since game 1. We get absolutely no respect from the refs.

Anyway, great defense. We need a scorer badly. Remember the Big Three days when we could score at will but didn't play a lick of D? It's reversed.

Nick Young was ****ing horrible tonight.

I don't understand how someone can grow up in a basketball family with both parents as major basketball players, and have absolutely no ability with your left hand. Seriously, McGee kills me with that. I was 12 in some bull**** house league and being worked to death by our coach (some teammates dad) to build up our left hand. It's like McGee has spent his entire life just dunking the ball. Blows my mind that he can't use his left at all.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

As good as McGee is defensively, he brings almost nothing to the table offensively except for hustle. Wall has the potential to be All NBA defensive team and a gifted offensive scorer and playmaker. We will rise and fall with John Wall.

True, McGee brings almost nothing to the table offensively. But with a good perimeter shooter, watch his numbers rise dramatically. I think he is much more important to this team. He is a talented center that has gotten better each season, and is putting up career numbers without ANY offensive option on this team. A pg can be found anywhere in any draft. Your post about the comparisons between wall and other pgs proves this point. Centers are centers. Its why Kwame is still in this league.

We need a PF. We will rise and fall with a top PF.