Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Seraphin 10 pts 5 rbs and 2 blocks off the bench...Who knew?

I'll admit I'm a big time Seraphin supporter so am slightly biased but if we can get him to find some sort of role off the bench it would be a huge help to the team. 

45 bench points tonight, very solid. 

Edited by the burgundy and gold

Important game in Boston Saturday afternoon. I'm expecting us to get thoroughly outcoached.

Wonder what the deal with Vesely is. Also Porter disappeared pretty quickly after he got in.

I remember Porter staying with the ball handler during transition defense which led to miss at the rim, seems to be having a hard time finding a role on offense though. I mostly saw him camping in the corner, but the ball never finds him partly because he's in with Temple who just doesn't have Wall's vision or skill to make those kinds of passes.

Edited by StillUnknown

I remember Porter staying with the ball handler during transition defense which led to miss at the rim, seems to be having a hard time finding a role on offense though. I mostly saw him camping in the corner, but the ball never finds him partly because he's in with Temple who just doesn't have Wall's vision or skill to make those kinds of passes.

He only got three minutes. Why even play him for three minutes?

Feels kind of like the staff is just guessing with the way to play the bench now that Nene and Beal are back and on restricted minutes.

He only got three minutes. Why even play him for three minutes?

Feels kind of like the staff is just guessing with the way to play the bench now that Nene and Beal are back and on restricted minutes.

Wittman has a history of handling his bench like that. One good game gets you minutes, one bad game gets you multiple DNP's in a row. Seraphin had scored double digits a few days ago, and that was enough for him to get what had been Vesely's minutes. I'm sure when he lays an egg in an upcoming game, it will change again.

I wish it were more consistent though, I would think its easier to play from the bench if you have a reasonable expectation of when and how you will be used.

Overall, the bench has improved since they finally stopped giving Maynor minutes. I don't think Temple is that good, but he's still a good deal better than what Maynor was producing.

Edited by StillUnknown

I really couldn't enjoy the last 3 or 4 minutes.  I was waaay too nervous. 

Man do Beal and Nene make a difference or what?  Beal was +14.  Nene has court awareness, boxes out, passing so well - plus he really is an angry dunker.  

Booker had how many boards?  Dude was straight ballin'. 

I'm not saying we are a good team at this point but good teams win on the road.  And we just won on the road.  Jes sayin'.     

Cool story plus Dianna Russini is kinda hot. 

Yeah I thought so too.

I really couldn't enjoy the last 3 or 4 minutes.  I was waaay too nervous. 

Man do Beal and Nene make a difference or what?  Beal was +14.  Nene has court awareness, boxes out, passing so well - plus he really is an angry dunker.  

Booker had how many boards?  Dude was straight ballin'. 

I'm not saying we are a good team at this point but good teams win on the road.  And we just won on the road.  Jes sayin'.     

They're still just 5-8 on the road for the year.  That's a major improvement from the past few years, but they still have a lot of learning to do.  This was a good start though.

Wall in particular has a tendency to be very streaky on the road.  He looked dominant early but then he was just out of it in the second half.  Kind of the flip side of what happened in Atlanta.  We're pretty reliant on him.

Also there is really no excuse for a team as big as Brooklyn to be as bad as they are on the defensive glass.  They just don't want it.  Brook Lopez is soft.  It's the one thing keeping him from being the best all around big man in the NBA.  It's a big thing.

Wittman deserves a lot of credit with how he's coached over the past 2 games.  I'm not going to second-guess his decisions about what he's doing with the bench.  As I said in an earlier post, if Porter was ready to contribute, he'd be playing more.  It's as simple as that.  It's not any bearing on how far along he'll be when we're in Feb/March, but this is a guy who has little-to-no professional experience.  Even as a rookie.  No SL and no preseason.  He just resumed b-ball activities 2 weeks ago.  It's going to take time.  Personally, I'm not going to cry over Porter racking up DNP-CDs or playing under 5 minutes a night.  We're getting contributions (at least for the past 2 games) from elsewhere on the bench.  Webster/Seraphin/Temple come to mind. 

Anyways, it was a good win last night and despite the game getting close (as expected) in the 4th, I felt as though the Wizards were in firm control from the outset.  Let's get the W next time out vs. the C's. 

Biggest reason Porter isn't playing is because Beal is healthy now and Beal/Ariza/Webster take up about 90 of the 96 minutes available at the wings per night.

There aren't minutes for Porter.  He's not going to be better than Webster and Ariza at this point so he's not going to take their minutes.  This coaching staff is fighting for their jobs, they're not going to sit Ariza to put in work developing Porter and suffering through his growing pains.

But Trevor Ariza is not someone you keep in the way of a #3 overall pick.  He's expiring and we're not keeping him this summer and his trade value should be good.  That's why you trade him for a guard or a big.  The sooner it's done, the faster the new guy can get acclimated.

The only reason not to trade Ariza is if:

1.) you have delusions that we're contending for something this season and Ariza is necessary for that

2.) you've already given up on Porter

3.) you need his expiring this summer because you have plans to make a big splash in FA.

All of those reasons are stupid.  So trade Ariza when something good comes up, balance out the roster, and start developing the kid you just drafted #3 overall.

• Like 2

Even though sources claim Pau Gasol is no longer on the the trading block, the Wiz should offer Ariza and Nene for Gasol immediately. Ariza and Nene fit with the Lakers and Gasol fits better here then he does in Lakerland. It would free up minutes for Porter and give the Wiz over well $20 million in cap space for the off season.