Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Knicks couldn't get the ball at the 28' line out of a timeout after Melo caught the inbounds pass. If he'd called a timeout there, they'd have had to inbound it from the spot he called the timeout. That wasn't his fault. It was Woodson's. Or to a lesser extent Udrih's since he's the one who inbounded the ball. He could have called a timeout when the ball was in his hands before he passed it.

Even still...calling a timeout they could have at least organized themselves a bit more.  Melo is not above the blame here. 

I'm a big Beal fan and am glad he scored at the end there. The Knicks are a mess and the Bullets still gave up a pretty big lead. Need to tighten up. As far a "clutch", I like to save that for a vet who's been doing it for years. Webster was the difference last night. 30 points off the bench? Like 6 threes? Damn.

The Lakers will not take on two contracts for Gasol. Even though he is done.

They want either LeBron or Melo this off season.

Ariza is expiring. Nene has two more years and 13 million.

The Lakers aren't going to get either Melo or LeBron. The sooner they realize this, the better for them.

Even still...calling a timeout they could have at least organized themselves a bit more.  Melo is not above the blame here.

Then you have to run an inbounds play from full court and you give the D a chance to get set for it. That's worse. They lost the game when the ball was inbounded. This wasn't Melo's fault. And actually he played really well last night.

You do that if you have Chris Paul, Lebron, Derrick Rose or Russel Westbrook. If you have a player who can go foul line to foul line in 3 seconds, you try to get the shot off in transition. (Actually, the best in this league at this might be Durant. I swear it takes him four steps to go foul line to foul line).

Melo is one of the great creators in the league, but he ain't going to go the length of the floor and get anything in 6 seconds. They would have been better off with the ball in JR Smth's hands there.

Yeah Melo moves in slow motion in the open court compared to those guys. But even if you have any of those guys, or John Wall for that matter, who can get to the other rim faster than anyone, you call the timeout every time. You call the timeout if it's against the Pacers. And the Wizards D is certainly not the Pacers'.

I seriously doubt that's what Woodson was going for anyway. He just fell asleep and didn't react before Udrih inbounded the ball.

Porter had no Summer League and no pre-season.  He's just not ready.  Plain and simple.  As bad as our bench is, if he was good enough to be out there, he be playing.  This has no bearing as to how good of a player he'll be down the road...but for RIGHT NOW, he's not ready to contribute. 

Someone called him Young Notepad LOLOLOLOL. 

Plus, the plan all along (I'm assuming) is that Ariza gets traded.  But we haven't been healthy enough to move anyone, let alone put a full team on the court.  Let everyone get healthy first and see how things are going, then move Ariza.

Fox Sports 1 and ESPN were all over the Knicks game. Listening to the coverage though, it's like they weren't supposed to lose to the wizards. The wizards were the better team on the court and should have won. I was expecting a win and I rarely do that with this team. The Knicks suck.

• Like 1

I'd have agreed with you a month ago.  Sadly I've seen Wall blow too many easy layups at the rim at the end of games this season.  Apparently hitting open attempts at the rim at the end of games is incredibly difficult for him.

Wall doesn't get uncontested layups at the rim at the end of games. Wall gets double teamed or a packed paint or a contested pull up jumper.

The "clutchness" of Beal's basket wasn't in making an easy layup. It was in the recognition of the defense and the decision to take it inside. Beal saw Udrih give him the outside because he thought he had inside help, saw that Udrih's help wasn't there, knew they had a foul to give, saw that Udrih was still getting set and wasn't ready to foul him, and reacted instantaneously with the correct decision. He couldn't wait for the last shot because Udrih would foul him and he didn't wait for Udrih or Udrih's help to figure out their defensive breakdown.

It was terrific instincts. It was making the right play in winning time and it led to a game winning basket when a wrong decision would have led to a loss. It was a clutch play.

Plus, the plan all along (I'm assuming) is that Ariza gets traded.  But we haven't been healthy enough to move anyone, let alone put a full team on the court.  Let everyone get healthy first and see how things are going, then move Ariza.

We're going to run out of time if we wait on everyone to get healthy and gel. The trade deadline is in February and if you're bringing in a piece for Ariza that you want to be an important part of the rotation, the sooner you make the deal the better. Ariza's value has to be high right now. And any new pieces are going to need time to adjust.

If there's a deal you like on the table for Ariza right now, you go ahead and do it. The only reason to sleep on it would be if you don't really want to trade Ariza.

• Like 1

Ariza is expiring. Nene has two more years and 13 million.

The Lakers aren't going to get either Melo or LeBron. The sooner they realize this, the better for them.

Then you have to run an inbounds play from full court and you give the D a chance to get set for it. That's worse. They lost the game when the ball was inbounded. This wasn't Melo's fault. And actually he played really well last night.

Yeah Melo moves in slow motion in the open court compared to those guys. But even if you have any of those guys, or John Wall for that matter, who can get to the other rim faster than anyone, you call the timeout every time. You call the timeout if it's against the Pacers. And the Wizards D is certainly not the Pacers'.

I seriously doubt that's what Woodson was going for anyway. He just fell asleep and didn't react before Udrih inbounded the ball.

I'm not disagreeing that Melo didn't play well.  What I'm saying is that he should have called a TO.  He even made mention of this after the game.  Woodson messed up...as did Udrih...as did Melo.  SOMEONE, and I think that's Melo b/c he had the ball, should have been a tad bit more aware of the situation. 

I just wish we had a tad bit more contributing depth on our bench.  Hopefully when Harrington gets back he can carry some of the load as far as scoring is concerned.  We can't trade Ariza just yet unless the return is ridiculous.  Trading him almost certainly thrusts Webster in a starting role (which I'm fine with), but also put more pressure on Porter to contribute off the bench b/c the team is so thin.  I'm not OK with that.  I think Ariza will eventually be traded - and he's playing EXCELLENT basketball - but now just isn't the time.  Unless we can somehow, package him w/ Nene. 

I just wish we had a tad bit more contributing depth on our bench. Hopefully when Harrington gets back he can carry some of the load as far as scoring is concerned. We can't trade Ariza just yet unless the return is ridiculous. Trading him almost certainly thrusts Webster in a starting role (which I'm fine with), but also put more pressure on Porter to contribute off the bench b/c the team is so thin. I'm not OK with that. I think Ariza will eventually be traded - and he's playing EXCELLENT basketball - but now just isn't the time. Unless we can somehow, package him w/ Nene.

Yeah, I think it's too early to trade or to even get a grip on this team until everyone is on the court and a rotation can be set.

Chris Miller

‏@cmillscsn

Glen Rice Jr. had surgery on his right wrist today in NYC. Will be out 3-6 weeks. #WizardsTalk

It was already sore, but he apparently aggravated it celebrating Monday's win. 

Only slightly related, I'm still wondering why we didn't keep Shannon Brown.  

Wall is going to get Ariza a nice fat contract, and that team will have buyer's remorse if they don't a have PG who can spoon feed Ariza.

Yep. And when that doesn't happen next year and he takes a step back, he'll be yet another example to point to why "fit" matters.

I've had lots of arguments on RealGM with one particularly stubborn poster who refuses to accept that fit is a real factor influencing performance.