Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Chris Paul proving why he's far and away, the best PG in the league.  Absolute clinic put on last night.  He's a joy to watch.

A couple of other things...Wittman HAS to get more creative with his late-game playcalling.  If I see another Wall ISO in the last :5 of a game, I'm going to flip my ****.  As much as I love Wall, he's not realy to be a closer.  Homie needs to get it through his thick skull that the game becomes 100x easier for EVERYONE when he drives the ball.  If he does this, someone will be open somewhere on the court for a good look.  It was the wrong person to do it, but just look at the GW attempt Chris Singleton took last week.  That was all because of the attention Wall garners when he drives. 

In regards to Nene...I don't know if it's possible or what it would take, but EG should be burning up the phone lines in LA to see if we could bring in Pau Gasol.  The only trade Ernie has made where he's fleeced someone was when he traded for Caron Butler.  Let's see if Mitch falls for it again LOL. 

• Like 1

Amare has more trade value than Nene simply on reputation. Nene was never considered great and his current situation basically makes him untradeable.

What?  Absolutely not.  He has an uninsured contract.  That combined with what he's owed, his injury history, and lack of production over the past couple of seasons makes his deal the absolute worst in the league. 

Joe Johnson is up there as well.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/12/15/5212674/marcin-gortat-washington-wizards-clippers-nba

Right now, the Wizards are shooting just under 28 mid-range jumpers per game, tops in the NBA. Their percentage on those shots is 34.4 percent, fourth-worst in the league. Last year, the Wizards shot the fourth-most mid-range jumpers in the league and hit the eighth-worst percentage. And you wonder why this is one of the worst offenses in the NBA.

Randy Wittman ladies (if any ever stop by this thread) & gentleman. 

What?  Absolutely not.  He has an uninsured contract.  That combined with what he's owed, his injury history, and lack of production over the past couple of seasons makes his deal the absolute worst in the league. 

Joe Johnson is up there as well.

Absolutely. Amar'e's contract is the worst. 22 million uninsured dollars for 15 minutes a night for maybe 50 games. His deal is absolutely impossible to move until it becomes an expiring next season. And even then, it won't be easy. He's got the worst contract in the league right now. It's killed the Knicks. They went all in on Melo/Amar'e. Unless they unload Amar'e's deal next year in an unbalanced trade (not going to happen), they're triggering the repeater tax next summer. They're 17 million over the tax this season. They'll be 20 million over next season unless Carmelo opts out and goes somewhere else, which would be it's own special disaster for them. That'll be what, 60 or 70 million spent just on luxury tax the past three seasons. For a train wreck. And they'll have triggered the repeater tax so they can't go over it again that summer Amar'e expires without paying an obscene amount. LOL!

And they have no draft pick this year. They used up their amnesty clause on Chauncey Billups in the first year to do a big money S&T for Tyson Chandler (another contract that is worse than Nene's). Just another way they bet it all on Melo/Stat and lost. They forced themselves into some truly atrocious cap moves. Paying JR Smith despite the way he finished last year. Then having to let JR Smith's little brother have a roster spot. Having to let Jeremy Lin go even though they had early bird rights on him.

They're cratering and it all goes back to Amar'e's failed deal. If Melo leaves, they're going to be bad for a really long time. They bet everything on Amar'e and he was a spectacular bust.

The mitigating factor with Nene's contract will always be that he's actually a good player still and we win games when he plays.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

- I am very sold on Wiggins and Joel Embiid. Those two should be the first two draft picks.

he's my number one pick. I think he gonna be the best player in this draft.

Its tough for me to believe he has only been playing for 3 years. His passing and footwork is better than any top notch big man since... idk when. He is gonna be the next great center.

he's my number one pick. I think he gonna be the best player in this draft.

Its tough for me to believe he has only been playing for 3 years. His passing and footwork is better than any top notch big man since... idk when. He is gonna be the next great center.

I think Wiggins will be the best player but I can see Embiid being the most valuable player since he's a 7 footer. That's more of a stretch though, but it's based on the thinking similar to the LeBron versus Dwight argument from about 2009 or 2010 before Dwight hurt his back. LeBron was the best player, but if you did a Madden style fantasy draft, a lot of teams would have picked Dwight #1. Easier to build around the dominant big.

If I were picking #1, I'd take Wiggins. He's a no brainer #1 IMO. He's basically a 6'8 Derrick Rose and I think he's going to be the best overall player in the NBA in four or five years.

Embiid should be a very good C, but I don't see future best C. He has incredible coordination and feet plus incredible length. But he's not very explosive and doesn't get off the ground as well as Davis/Noel/Drummond.

The C position has actually had a pretty large influx of talent since 2008. Hibbert, Lopez, Cousins, Favors, Valanciunas, Vucevic, Kanter, Davis, Drummond, Henson. Maybe Noel, Len, and Adams from last year. And then Embiid and Cauley-Stein this year. And then next year you have Jalil Okafor who is a better player than Embiid. Lots of good young bigs out there right now. Embiid is talented but you have a lot of bigs who are talented too, and most of them are more skilled.

Looks like most of the best young talent in the NBA is at PG and PF/C and we're headed for a SG/SF drought by comparison.

Amare has more trade value than Nene simply on reputation. Nene was never considered great and his current situation basically makes him untradeable.

Amare right now may be the most untradeable player in NBA history. An uninsured max level deal on a half-crippled player.

That was a bad contract during that half a season where he looked like an MVP candidate in New York.

Embiid should be a very good C, but I don't see future best C. He has incredible coordination and feet plus incredible length. But he's not very explosive and doesn't get off the ground as well as Davis/Noel/Drummond.

he's explosive, not as explosive as those guys but he is explosive.

More than anything, he has a better back to the basket game than all of them. That includes Davis. And unlike any of those three, he is actually 7 feet tall.

Embiid is the guy who should end up as the best player and will be the best center barring an injury. If he adds about 10-15 more lbs (he is already 250) then he will be very hard to move.

And then next year you have Jalil Okafor who is a better player than Embiid.

he is not a better player than Embid. For starter, Okafor may measure out to be 6'10" in shoes.

The other thing with Embiid is that he hasnt played the game that long yet looks a natural. Wait until he is really comfortable.

Look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Irvvb7Y4-w

which center is pulling this move off successfully?

Only thing that gives my pause with Embiid in this draft is history. Specifically Portland's history. Taking that center when can't miss star wings are available has been disastrous. With Wiggins and Parker available I just can't see any team looking at anyone else with the top two picks.

Really though I think teams will be happy to get Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Randal, or Smart. They all look like they will be stars in the NBA.

(Almost makes me want the Wizards to trade Otto, Nene, Ariza, and maybe even Gortat for a proper tanking. Almost.)

I've always been in the camp that you don't pass up on a dominant big for a wing player.  5 years from now, Embiid could be looked at as the best player from this draft. And goodness knows...this is as deep of a draft as we've seen in a while. 

Looking back, Drummond should have gone 2 or 3 after Unibrow. Then again, if we still have the same front office/coaching setup, we should still avoid big men who need developing.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Only thing that gives my pause with Embiid in this draft is history. Specifically Portland's history. Taking that center when can't miss star wings are available has been disastrous. With Wiggins and Parker available I just can't see any team looking at anyone else with the top two picks.

Houston had the #1 pick that year and took Olajuwon.

Looking back, Drummond should have gone 2 or 3 after Unibrow. Then again, if we still have the same front office/coaching setup, we should still avoid big men who need developing.

yeah, i always wanted Drummond over Beal but I never trusted the Wizards with his development Edited by JoeWolf990

I've always been in the camp that you don't pass up on a dominant big for a wing player.  5 years from now, Embiid could be looked at as the best player from this draft. And goodness knows...this is as deep of a draft as we've seen in a while. 

I haven't seen a dominant low post big (PF/C) in a while.  I'm not sure they exist anymore.  

I think you take a super SF with ideal size in today's NBA over just about anything.  If you get great athlete like a George or Leonard they can guard the greatest range of positions.  They don't create the spacing or defensive issues if they like to attack the basket like a scoring point guard can.  They pair wonderfully with stars at any other position and with the tax situation each team is limited to two stars, realistically, and if you find a magic scenario where all of them take less than max like Miami did, three.

There is no way I'd pass on Wiggins or Parker in this draft.  

Also what has the rule change done to impact big man play in the NCAA?  You can't use a forearm to keep bigs off from getting into your body now as a defender right?  Doesn't that make low post scoring a great deal easier?   

yeah, i always wanted Drummond over Beal but I never trusted the Wizards with his development

I was telling anyone that would listen that Drummond would be a big time player.  His college team was a circus and people held it against him.  A guy that big, that fast, that can jump out of a building and already was a good rebounder and defender?  I still don't understand how people could have looked at that and thought it was a bad pick.  

He still doesn't have much of an offensive game though.  Centers seem to have the absolute hardest time developing an offensive game and I think most never really do unless they show some potential in college.  There are exceptions. 

Beal has proven me wrong though.  I was down on him as a player and he's proven to be better than I expected.  Sadly he's also been injured a lot.  When I say a lot I mean he's missed more games than Nene in his two seasons with the wizards.  So he's going to have to show that he can stay on the court or else he turns into one of those ultra high risk players to sign to a big contract.

Edited by Destino

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/washington-wizards-plan-for-new-practice-facility-away-from-verizon-center/2013/12/15/0867b87e-65d7-11e3-997b-9213b17dac97_story.html

Washington Wizards plan for new practice facility away from Verizon Center

The Washington Wizards are in the preliminary stages of planning a practice facility separate from the Verizon Center, owner Ted Leonsis said in a recent conversation.

Leonsis has appointed a team to set the groundwork for a state-of-the-art basketball complex that would be the hardwood equivalent to the Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlingtonthat he has already built for the NHL’s Washington Capitals. Leonsis would like to complete the project by 2017, at the latest, and said the next step — which has yet to begin — is to find a location in the District, Virginia or Maryland.

“We’ve envisioned . . . our own major facility close by," Leonsis said from his office at Verizon Center. “We’re excited and committed and we think it’s the right thing for the franchise. We think it’s the right thing for the fan base. We certainly think it’s the right thing for the players.”