Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I feel we should trade Ariza at the deadline for a late first. Ariza is gone as soon as free agency starts. You can tell when he talks about being traded here. Sucks DC isn't desirable place to play. Guess a horrible name and empty arena will give that impression.

You've got to get a lot more from Ariza than a late first if you deal him at the deadline. If we deal him, it has to be for a useful player. Or a much earlier pick.

Having his contract expire would be more valuable than a late first pick at this point because we could use the savings. And if we want we can let him expire and try and keep him for about 6 million a year and think about dealing him next season.

Ariza's market this summer is going to be the MLE because Ariza is probably only going to consider signing with good teams that have good PGs, and they're only going to be able to offer MLE money by and large. A 6 million per year offer to keep playing with Wall is going to beat most of his offers.

Smith is playing the 3 in an offence with two other bigs who cant really shoot. If he isnt going to shoot from the outside, who is? He shouldnt even be playing the 3. He should be an inside facilitator, much like Nene, who keeps the offence going in the half court, is unselfish about passing, can run the court, and is able to defend. Nene will be at 70% or less for the rest of his time here, and we really need someone else who can contribute.

How many times is Nene even sitting at the perimeter? Never. Just like Smith should be doing.

I didnt necessarily mean for Porter to start right now. He is obviously not ready. I just liked what Webster brought off the bench.

Josh Smith jacks up bad shots no matter what position he plays. He was a 4 almost all of the time in Atlanta and was an aggravating shot selector there. Hawks fans are thrilled that he's gone, and the Hawks actually got better by letting him walk and getting Millsap on a better deal.

Nene and Smith aren't similar players, Smith won't replace what Nene does for us. Nene doesn't take threes because they aren't part of his game. He's a true inside player with a post game and sets up almost everything he does through that. Josh Smith is not. He's a perimeter oriented smallish PF that doesn't create his own offense out of the post. Plus Nene is an extremely smart player, Smith is a dumb player. That alone is a profound difference.

Josh Smith isn't the answer to opening up a more efficient offense. I don't care for his contract either. And I don't want to help Detroit get out of the mess they made by building their team around him and Brandon Jennings.

Josh Smith is a good player but I'm not convinced he's capable of making his teams much better overall, and I definitely don't like his fit for us in particular. I'd rather go any number of different directions at PF than Smith. I'd rather have Paul Millsap for instance.

I can live with Drummond & Monroe beating us on the glass, but I'll be damned if I accept Kyle Singler being a force on the offensive glass. It boggles the mind.

Otto showed a couple of aggressive moves early in his stint tonight. More of that please.

Yeah pathetic effort on the defensive glass. The tone was set with that very first offensive rebound by Drummond when he literally went right over top of Booker on a weak ass effort boxing out.

Yeah pathetic effort on the defensive glass. The tone was set with that very first offensive rebound by Drummond when he literally went right over top of Booker on a weak ass effort boxing out.

Book's technique has to be flawless & he has to get lucky to keep Drummond off. Just a horrible matchup for him, especially since we knew Drummond would come out looking to impress after his sub-par game Saturday.

Book's technique has to be flawless & he has to get lucky to keep Drummond off. Just a horrible matchup for him, especially since we knew Drummond would come out looking to impress after his sub-par game Saturday.

Our only way to deal with him is for John to keep going right at him and keep him on the bench. That has to be goal #1 on offense.

John is playing pretty well except for the damn turnovers. Beal was pretty bad in the first half. We need them to play better. Hopefully hitting that jumper woke Beal up and got him into the game.

Ariza has been terrific again tonight. Our bigs are just getting crushed and we're not able to slow down their transition offense at all. Jennings has piled up assists on fast break entry passes to running bigs. We're getting run off the floor. Gotta slow the game down.

Ariza's stat line looks better than his actual play tonight

I like his effort actually. He's made some fantastic defensive plays and he's making shots and scoring some points off the bounce. His rebounding numbers are pretty empty but I think he's been good.

My only complaint is that he's not consistently getting back to defend the fast break.

Damn. We really needed Beal to hit that open 3.

the bench is having a great 4th quarter 

easily Otto's best game

Otto was terrific. He made the case for more minutes moving forward.

Alright, Seraphin had a good fourth quarter, but probably time to take him out for Gortat now. I still don't totally trust him.

Webster is hot though, might need to leave Ariza on the bench a bit longer.

I don't like taking Nene out at this point.

****. And there it is. Getting burned from leaving Seraphin in.