Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Bad shooting and dumb turnovers were the story tonight. A good team wins this game but the a Wizards are still learning to be consistent. They need to be better at home too.

Yeah we definitely need to be better at home.

Beal is still feeling his way back.

Ariza had a bad night. The decision making wasn't there on offense and his shot wasn't falling for a change.

Wall played well except he forced some of those passes and turned it over several times by trying funny stuff. He was trying to make stuff happen though. It should have been a 20 10 night for him though if guys had hit their shots like they usually do.

Man, that was a tough one. Just had a cold night shooting. Shouldnt have been at Cafe Asia last night partying with the Mavs. (tbh, I think it was only Chris Singelton and a few other scrub players for hte Wizards)

Miami and OKC have never and will never need one because they've got some of the best players in the league at perimeter positions and good role players supporting them. What we need is John and Beal to become among the best players at the league at their positions and worthy role players.

here is something that Destino has said for a few months now, its hard to build a title contender with the point guard being your best position. why? because Point guards are not versatile players.

Look at the Heat and the Thunder. JAmes and Durant are both 6'8" and above. Why does that matter? Those two players could guard and play 4 positions. Wall, and Beal, at the very best can guard just 3 and that would have to be a smallish small forward.

Im not convinced this group can do it without a big man to get us 14 and 10 and good defense. The big man being young was me saying that so that Wall and Beal could grow up with that player, where as they will not with Nene and Gortat since they are both very old. You are focusing way too much on the word "young" and not the context of why I said young.

This utterly mediocre season is going to buy a bad NBA head coach and GM at least 3 more years here. Cheap and lazy Ted gets his dream of first round exits.

Hopefully that isn't the case. This team needs a coaching upgrade badly. I'd like to see a system coach that demands players stick to their roles and do their jobs without excuses. Wall and Beal aren't like Lebron or Kobe that can just be given the ball and told to do something with it. They need more structure than Wittman is able to provide. Grunfeld is an infection that just won't go away.

I think fans need to make it clear to Ted that we want Ernie the hell out of here.

• Like 1

I bet Randy and EG get two year extensions.

But if we make the playoffs, get home court, and win at least acquit ourselves well in the first round...

Then I'm not going to break out the torch and pitchfork about it this summer.

If we get the third seed and get home court, I'll be pissed if we don't win that first round series though. Especially if it's against someone like Charlotte.

But if we get the third seed and win that first round, you can start to see crazy things happening like LeBron hurting his ankle in the first round, Wade remaining injured, and a bad match up with dominant size like Detroit throwing the conference wide open. An improbable run to the conference finals means you pretty much have to keep everything the same for next year. Randy and EG get at least two more years, Gortat gets extended, and Ariza probably gets brought back too.

It'll depress me that Wittman is our coach when I think about things like, "what if Brad Stevens was our coach? What if he were developing Wall and Beal?"

But I'll try not to think about those things.

And mainly, at this point I don't think the team is ready to truly contend no matter who the coach is. We've still got to walk before we run and I'm just hoping that Randy can be enough of a caretaker for now to get this team into the playoffs each year as Wall and Beal mature, and then we can take the cap off the team with a Doc Rivers-like upgrade.

As for Ernie, I don't think he's going anywhere unless the wheels come off. And I don't want to see that. He saved his job by being lucky enough to draft Wall and Beal and having an extremely patient owner that let him cling to his seat during the rocky first years of Wall's development.

Ernie hit homers with Wall and Beal, so what I'm hoping happens is that Ernie stays out of the way, hits singles with the personnel moves from now on, and just keeps a decent supporting cast those two throughout their careers. Even crappy GMs can fulfill expectations that low, right?

Actually, Ernie will find a way to kill the golden goose. He'll lock up our cap so that we can't extend Beal and we'll be forced to trade him for Rudy Gay or whoever is the awful contract du jour in 2016.

It's hard to give credit to Ernie for Wall and Beal when they were both no-brainers for their respective draft spots. 

If Ernie wants to do something, let's see him pull another rabbit out of the hat like he did when he acquired Caron Butler a few years back.  Until then....ugh. 

• Like 1

Hopefully that isn't the case. This team needs a coaching upgrade badly. I'd like to see a system coach that demands players stick to their roles and do their jobs without excuses. Wall and Beal aren't like Lebron or Kobe that can just be given the ball and told to do something with it. They need more structure than Wittman is able to provide. Grunfeld is an infection that just won't go away.

I think fans need to make it clear to Ted that we want Ernie the hell out of here.

indeed

this offense has potential to be great too (well at least hte starting 5) and its let down because of bad coaching.

It's hard to give credit to Ernie for Wall and Beal when they were both no-brainers for their respective draft spots. 

If Ernie wants to do something, let's see him pull another rabbit out of the hat like he did when he acquired Caron Butler a few years back.  Until then....ugh.

Wall was something of a no-brainer, although a lot of people like Evan Turner remember.

Beal definitely was not a no-brainer. That's hindsight bias. Lots of people liked different players that year and Beal was something of a late riser that few people had caught onto until around March. I was the first person to mention him in here and got mostly crickets because people were thinking SF or big man, and if they were talking about a SG it was Jeremy Lamb.

Lots of people questioned just how good a shooter he really was based on his college percentages. Lots of people questioned his scoring potential because of his handles and ability to create his own shots.

People were still arguing Lamb was better going into the season based on Summer League. And people were talking about Beal being a bust after his first three games.

On draft day lots of people would have picked different guys, like Barnes, Drummond, TRob, etc. Including myself, and I was one of Beal's biggest fans. I wanted a big man and at the time, TRob was my favorite for us by a hair and he would have been my pick if I'd been in charge.

Also, if Porter works out, let's all remember how divided the fan base was/is about the pick. I'd say the majority of the fan base who pays attention to the draft wanted Noel instead. If it had been me, I probably would have picked Porter but I was pretty torn between him and Noel. I would have taken Porter over Bennett and Zeller, both of whom I also liked.

Some liked Zeller, Len, CJ McCollum, Steven Adams, Trey Burke, etc.

Some wanted to trade the pick altogether, for some total crap like Ersan Ilyasova. I'm never going to stop bringing that up. Even before Ilyasova completely fell off a cliff, that would have been an absolutely inexcusable trade. As bad as the Miller/Foye trade.

Making draft picks, in real time, is a lot harder than it seems from our couches, on our laptops, years after the fact.

• Like 1

He got ejected for that?

Don't think we've got enough time to get back into this. We're getting beat on both ends. Just playing so poorly.

Keep passing it to Nene. He's getting to the line like crazy. They can't stop him without fouling.

Two most garbage buckets by Patrick Patterson in a row. You know what they say though.

When your enemy is making mistakes, don't interrupt him. We're making it easy on them.

This will be decisive win #2 for the Raptors against us. They're a far better team without Rudy Gay. And at this point, I'm not confident in a first round matchup with them if we're the 4 and 5 seeds, even if we get home court.

Just awful, awful, awful offensive performance tonight.

Some of the worst turnovers we've seen all year. Poor shooting. Everything is going wrong.

I'm guessing most people are out enjoying themselves and missing this one. Smart decision. If you DVRed it, don't bother watching. This is probably the worst we've played all season.

Joey Crawford is a D bag. He screwed us with that Ariza ejection and he called a BS offensive foul on Booker.

Everything is going Toronto's way, long rebounds going to them, etc. Shooting over 50% from three. And they aren't turning the ball over, half as many TOs as us. And on the flip side we're doing every single thing wrong and ending up on the bad side of crap calls.

So a blow out home loss for the second game in a row, this time to a below .500 EC team we HAD to beat. Horrible start to 2014. And the worst thing about it is the team is healthier than it's been so far, and they're playing their worst basketball of the season.

They need to get this thing turned around quick. Wouldn't mind seeing some rotation changes.

The Wiz can't afford to keep digging holes like they have been either. They need to finish January above .500. And that's already looking like a tough hill to climb.

This is the part of their schedule where they get more home games and they HAVE to capitalize or they don't have a prayer of getting the 3rd or 5th seed and home court.

Hell if they keep playing like this, they'll be lucky to get the 7th or 8th seed.